• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yorker: Harvey Weinstein's Accusers Tell Their Stories

Somewhat-related: Lindsay Ellis spoke about a time where an Academy Award-winning director sexually harassed her and the culture within the film industry that allows this to be so common an occurrence and sexual harassers to not suffer any consequences, to say nothing of how women are never believed when they come forward about these events.

Before people start trying some Google-Fu, she does clarify that the director didn't get the Oscar for directing a feature. So it might be hard to narrow down who it could have been.

Ushay

I bet this shit happens anywhere people in positions of power are. It's a discomforting reality all over the world.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. These guys have absolute power and near 100% immunity from punishment from the laws of man.

Can't outrun justice forever...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I bet this shit happens anywhere people in positions of power are. It's a discomforting reality all over the world.

We know it does but most of it isn't as blatant as this. Harvey Weinstein was a predator. When you look at all the stories from people who didn't know each other you see an alarming pattern of behavior. I have no doubt he raped more than three women in his time.

Cross posting from the other thread:

It's now Lea Seydoux's turn to come forward.

I meet men like Harvey Weinstein all the time. I have starred in many films over the last 10 years and have been lucky enough to win awards at festivals like Cannes. Cinema is my life. And I know all of the ways in which the film industry treats women with contempt.

When I first met Harvey Weinstein, it didn’t take me long to figure him out. We were at a fashion show. He was charming, funny, smart – but very domineering. He wanted to meet me for drinks and insisted we had to make an appointment that very night. This was never going to be about work. He had other intentions – I could see that very clearly.

We met in the lobby of his hotel. His assistant, a young woman, was there. All throughout the evening, he flirted and stared at me as if I was a piece of meat. He acted as if he were considering me for a role. But I knew that was bullshit. I knew it, because I could see it in his eyes. He had a lecherous look. He was using his power to get sex.

He invited me to come to his hotel room for a drink. We went up together. It was hard to say no because he’s so powerful. All the girls are scared of him. Soon, his assistant left and it was just the two of us. That’s the moment where he started losing control.

It's important to note that Lea Seydoux is coming from a huge family. With her grand father being the President of Pathe and his brother being the President of Gaumont (You may now them from Hannibal and Narcos), the oldest cinema company.

So even when you have a relative power you're still going to get attacked.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I expected it to happen sooner honestly. Anyone would have similar reactions.

Like the moment he started pleading to friends and executives to help defend him against his own board firing days ago, his tone made me wonder if he would make an attempt that very night.

Very few men on Earth will get to experience such a massive public rejection. Essentially being pushed off the face of the planet. Most in that situation turn on themselves as well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
According to an actress I know, there's apparently some other name who is retweeting all the bad news about Weinstein and saying stuff about how "we have to do better," but this guy is just as gross. She's waiting for someone else to speak up first before she goes public, but I suspect we won't be waiting long.

Was it Ben?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Cara Delevingne was also sexually harassed by Weinstein (she posted it on Instagram, but I'll put something more lasting).

When I first started to work as an actress, i was working on a film and I received a call from‎ Harvey Weinstein asking if I had slept with any of the women I was seen out with in the media. It was a very odd and uncomfortable call....i answered none of his questions and hurried off the phone but before I hung up, he said to me that If I was gay or decided to be with a woman especially in public that I'd never get the role of a straight woman or make it as an actress in Hollywood. A year or two later, I went to a meeting with him in the lobby of a hotel with a director about an upcoming film. The director left the meeting and Harvey asked me to stay and chat with him. As soon as we were alone he began to brag about all the actresses he had slept with and how he had made their careers and spoke about other inappropriate things of a sexual nature. He then invited me to his room. I quickly declined and asked his assistant if my car was outside. She said it wasn't and wouldn't be for a bit and I should go to his room. At that moment I felt very powerless and scared but didn't want to act that way hoping that I was wrong about the situation. When I arrived I was relieved to find another woman in his room and thought immediately I was safe. He asked us to kiss and she began some sort of advances upon his direction. I swiftly got up and asked him if he knew that I could sing. And I began to sing....i thought it would make the situation better....more professional....like an audition....i was so nervous. After singing I said again that I had to leave. He walked me to the door and stood in front of it and tried to kiss me on the lips. I stopped him and managed to get out of the room. I still got the part for the film and always thought that he gave it to me because of what happened. Since then I felt awful that I did the movie. I felt like I didn't deserve the part. I was so hesitant about speaking out....I didn't want to hurt his family. I felt guilty as if I did something wrong. I was also terrified that this sort of thing had happened to so many women I know but no one had said anything because of fear.

Rookje

nintchdbpict0003595475891.jpg

norinrad

It's like Pill Cosby all over again. Who knows how many victims are there

I hope they all come out and they are coming from all sides. Time to shame all these entitled bastards who act inappropriately and some how manage to get away with it because they are rich and powerful.

lenovox1

Now Kate Beckinsale has some stories.

Who didn't this guy go after is the question now.

Would she have access to Weinstein?

Was she beautiful and talented?

Was she white?

Was she under 30 at the time?

This guy's victim count was likely in the hundreds.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
LOL at all these "I don't know!" stars coming out of the woodwork.

How naive can a person be to actually believe the stuff that's coming out from their mouth?

Slaythe

Yeah it's bullshit that either Tarantino or Rodriguez didn't know about Harvey.

The problem is that he had a lot of willing bimbos around. There's no problem with that, as those girls were consentent.

The issue is the abuse and harrassment Harvey committed in private.

Unless they witnessed first hand a girl saying no or Harvey forcing himself... :/

Also, let's be honest, the kind of Ben Affleck groping would NEVER alarm Hollywood people :( so even if they saw that kind of stuff they might have shrugged it off as "playful" behavior. ( not saying it's acceptable, just that they probably didn't think much of stuff like that and would never report it ).

So if victims didn't tell them what happened, it is possible they didn't know he abused and harassed women. Or even raped them in some instances.

It's really shitty but let's wait until they comment before claiming they're all monsters. If actresses claim they told them, then it's pretty bad.

jelly

Harvey doesn't seem like a person who wouldn't gloat and you don't think guys like them wouldn't say they screwed the latest hot thing, come on. Even if you don't witness the act, you would have to be thick as shit not to put the two together. These people party together, hang out, work together. You would need to be deaf and blind not to notice and even then, some rumour braille would make the rounds.

nitronite

The entirety of Hollywood (bar a few exceptions) should win an Academy Award for the performances that they have shown in this Weinstein case. Never have I seen more believable acting than the hundreds of actors/directors/producers/screenwriters going: "I never knew!" Absolutely reprehensible.

duckroll

The entirety of Hollywood (bar a few exceptions) should win an Academy Award for the performances that they have shown in this Weinstein case. Never have I seen more believable acting than the hundreds of actors/directors/producers/screenwriters going: "I never knew!" Absolutely reprehensible.

Considering how most people don't seem to believe them, maybe you mean the Razzies?

Z3M0G

Holy fuck I'm listening to a woman on CBC radio right now telling her story... it's revolting. His assistants (mostly women at the time) need to burn too...

Blader

I think it's unfair to just assume everyone knew because lots of people did.

I kind of agree too. I'm sure there are plenty of people who knew, or knew enough, and are just trying to save their own asses in the PR shitstorm now. But the idea that anyone associated with Harvey Weinstein had detailed accounts of him raping, assaulting, and harassing women over the years seems absurd to me.

What I think most, if not everyone, in Hollywood "knew" were rumors. But hearing rumors is not the same thing as actually knowing.

Top Bottom