• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Piscartolla: Subscriptions services stalling but big games exploding, interesting weeks ahead

FrankWza

Reading through these comments and seeing how many people just don't want to pay for games is sad. This job-like approach to playing games where you tick off boxes instead of playing what you want when you want and actually supporting a hobby you love makes no sense. Especially when you can just wait for sales if you're really that hard up.

feynoob

Banned
Reading through these comments and seeing how many people just don't want to pay for games is sad. This job-like approach to playing games where you tick off boxes instead of playing what you want when you want and actually supporting a hobby you love makes no sense. Especially when you can just wait for sales if you're really that hard up.
The issue is that we have too many games these days and less money to spend on them. Look at 2023 game releases. That is alot of money that is coming out of your paycheck.

FrankWza

The issue is that we have too many games these days and less money to spend on them. Look at 2023 game releases. That is alot of money that is coming out of your paycheck.
Too many games to play is NEVER an issue. People here are always saying they don't mind waiting 2 years or more for games when they want to win an argument. Wait for a sale.

feynoob

Banned
Too many games to play is NEVER an issue. People here are always saying they don't mind waiting 2 years or more for games when they want to win an argument. Wait for a sale.
Sounds like they dont care about that game. You dont use that as a winning argument if you want to play those games.

For me, I am holding out some games due to the $70 price tag. Will wait for them when they are on sale and have full content with it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why would anyone say they can say anything will or won't happen with 100% confidence or certainty?

Yes people have all sorts of zany ideas or theories about what GamePass can lead to. I'll add three month timed exclusive access to the list.

All I can go on is what they have said and what makes sense.

They'll need to do something to impress stock holders. Because it's them that'll want to see GP subs go from 25m users to 50m.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Sounds like they dont care about that game. You dont use that as a winning argument if you want to play those games.

For me, I am holding out some games due to the $70 price tag. Will wait for them when they are on sale and have full content with it.

Nah, sometimes you can love a game and still wait 6 months just to make sure all the bugs are sorted out. Times are different these days.

NickFire

It's almost like the model doesn't really fit how most people consume video games.
Something like 80-95% this probably. There's definitely a segment of the audience that consumption model is great for. But certainly not the entire audience. And what the percentage is post-Covid I have no idea at all. And even that number would never be static due to pricing / offerings.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Too many games means you won't be able to play them all, and by the time you get to the game, it will be on sale with a super deep discount.

I learned with backlog stacking was not wise with time/money. Now I wishlist stack and save thousands by the time I'm ready.

FOMO is the main killer. Sure, there are some select titles that get a day 1 preferential jump ahead of the pile, but for the most part, waiting until you get to it would even save on keeping a sub active indefinitely to "play all those games."

Last edited:
It’s always somewhat perplexed me just how little promotion Sony does for Extra and Premium. They should highlight a few things at each showcase or State of Play.
Xbox promote GamePass at every opportunity.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s always somewhat perplexed me just how little promotion Sony does for Extra and Premium. They should highlight a few things at each showcase or State of Play.
Xbox promote GamePass at every opportunity.
Sony likes to sell games still. The sub service is second to that.

And look at the state Xbox is in software sales wise now. Especially the vastly growing split %s.

mckmas8808

Too many games means you won't be able to play them all, and by the time you get to the game, it will be on sale with a super deep discount.

I learned with backlog stacking was not wise with time/money. Now I wishlist stack and save thousands by the time I'm ready.

FOMO is the main killer. Sure, there are some select titles that get a day 1 preferential jump ahead of the pile, but for the most part, waiting until you get to it would even save on keeping a sub active indefinitely to "play all those games."

The bolded is perfect! And I do the samething lol.

Sony likes to sell games still. The sub service is second to that.

And look at the state Xbox is in software sales wise now. Especially the vastly growing split %s.
PlayStation’s service is mostly catalogue games, so they’ve made the bulk of their money long before entering their service. It’s their major advantage.

They don't want to condition their base to wait. Consumer minds are malleable.
True. Maybe they’ve seen the data and have concluded that GamePass isn’t a threat to their business model after all.

I am expecting Sony to have some sort of presence on PC with PS+ premium for PC. They’ve got a lot of games available now and would be able to put together something compelling.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
True. Maybe they’ve seen the data and have concluded that GamePass isn’t a threat to their business model after all.

I am expecting Sony to have some sort of presence on PC with PS+ premium for PC. They’ve got a lot of games available now and would be able to put together something compelling.
They'll need a PC launcher/store for that. Maybe something like GoG.
Ponder Denzel Washington GIF by Entertainment Tonight

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Something like 80-95% this probably. There's definitely a segment of the audience that consumption model is great for. But certainly not the entire audience. And what the percentage is post-Covid I have no idea at all. And even that number would never be static due to pricing / offerings.
Yeah I have friends who legit love trying 3-4 new games a month.

It's just not me lol

I am lucky if I try 3-4 games in an entire year, and it's not for lack of gaming time.. I just like devouring big games, or getting into 1 multiplayer game at a time.

Top Bottom