• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox is locking out Gamepass games from competitor's subscription services

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

# The-Redaction-Was-Poor-On-Purpose
youtube fashion GIF

Thanks, buuut I can’t go through 25 pages, oh well. Just reading that first page you start to see a pattern emerging.
I wanna catch that shit in real time.

It’s the whole point of exclusivity to make your product look more attractive then the competition and I think it’s fair regardless of what company is doing it. Anyone arguing otherwise should never be taken seriously.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Like I said before this is standard practice for marketing deals, especially if said marketing deal includes and agreement (or first dibs) for that game to appear on subscription services.
I don’t think OP is for your benefit GHG GHG - it’s more like a community gift that we can quickly reference to shut down Greenberg’s minions.

I salute you Bernoulli Bernoulli

Last edited:

Nubulax

If you spend a shitload of money on marketing a product so it sells, you don't want it to be on any sub that cannibalizes sales.

Otherwise, your marketing money goes down the gutter.
You have to forgive some people not using the smallest bit of critical thinking skills on what a marketing deal means. Yes let Sony spend a bunch of time and $ Marketing a game, like Hogwarts Legacy for example, only for Xbox to have it on gamepass when its not on PS Plus... what would be the point of the marketing deal if they did that.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Im waiting with what new narratives xbox fanboys will come up with, since this one was pretty exhausting. Every website, forum or these dumbass youtubes were running away with this constant crying about Sony “actively paying under the table and blocking games coming to xbox”.

damidu

Im waiting with what new narratives xbox fanboys will come up with, since this one was pretty exhausting. Every website, forum or these dumbass youtubes were running away with this constant crying about Sony “actively paying under the table and blocking games coming to xbox”.
mostly likely it’ll be just “crickets”

graywolf323

mostly likely it’ll be just “crickets”
yep
I must be missing the incredible revelation here. Is this news ?
well you certainly thought this sorta thing to be newsworthy in the past
Sony paying to block stuff from competitors ?

WHAT
A
REVELATION

They have been doing this since 1995.

Sony have been cock blocking games and buying exclusives ever since they entered the market. They are the absolute champions, with old school Nintendo.

MS statement here at least is true.

Sony did not hesitate to put PS exclusive in a trailer for a game that was only timed. FF XVI I think it was.

Typical Sony communication :)

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I was one of the people giving Sony shit for doing this. I didn't think at the time that MS had any sway in terms of telling publishers to not have their game on a competitor that has a user base of over 100+ Million.

I thought Sony was the only one in the position to say - "We have a gigantic userbase, we'll pay you $$$ and contribute to marketing so the potential loss of not being on Xbox is minimized"

If You Say So Shrug GIF

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that after reading that post, lol.

The games eventually end up there. Like CoD and others, they just don't do day 1 for big AAA 3rd party games, and Activision has admitted they like that model better.

Smaller games like Stray and the like are day 1.
Now watch Stray doesn't count....for reasons.

IIRC there were at least 2 more games after that. Meet Your Maker was one.

Maybe Tchia was the other one?

Did anymore expect otherwise? It makes perfect sense for them to want to do that.
People have cried blue murder about Sony having blocking deals.

Of course it happens.

People need to get the idea that Microsoft are the good guys out of their head. They are ruthless and always have been. It’s business.

Spencer has done a lot of whinging about things Sony do but they do the same thing as well. They are taking it to another awful level with their consolidation.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Oh shit Microsoft doing exactly what sonys doing! Just with game pass...

Spider man pointing at each other jpeg
except it’s not? we’ve already established that Sony does this with marketing deals, Microsoft has been doing this just with Game Pass deals even on games they don’t have marketing on (likely Sea of Stars for example and someone else brought up A Plague’s Tale: Requiem)

meanwhile Microsoft were openly out there using the press to say how Sony was persecuting them with deals like this, so no it’s not just “they’re just doing what Sony is doing” because they’ve been flat out acting like they’re on some high horse above it all

Marketing a game is different than having a marketing deal.

Microsoft put Plague Tale Requiem on Game Pass day one, but PlayStation actually did more marketing for that game. Neither Microsoft nor Sony had any marketing deal for that game.

On the other hand, PlayStation had a Hogwart's Legacy "marketing deal" (the type which would have prevented a Game Pass deal), and that level of marketing was on a whole another level.

Guys, even better ... 😄

Q8jEnEZ.jpg

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
We got all the receipts.
Receipts of what? That Xbox does some of the same shitty things to sony that we already knew sony does to Xbox. Many of your compadres strongly defended this so I can't imagine why you would be upset. Personally I still think it's a shitty practice regardless of who does it.

Sony is paying money to keep games off gamepass and calls it a "marketing deal". Microsoft is paying money to keep games off psplus und puts them on gamepass instead. Tell me, which deal is better for the consumer?
Sony’s marketing deals stipulate that they get first option of it in plus. So in that situation Sony allows the publisher to use their marketing muscle, make a load of up front sales and then have the option of going into PS+

In that scenario the publisher and the consumer wins.

NickFire

Threads like this make one thing crystal clear. And that is we need a new tag for creating threads. Fried Crows, Crow Dinner, Baked Crows, Crow salad, time to eat crow, or something to that effect.

Top Bottom