• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt rants that there's no sequel for SSBM yet

...if I say that I agree, is it going to make me look like I'm kissing ass?

I'm on the fence about an SSBM sequel - I'm not exactly sure where they'd go with it, considering that the first game was packed so tightly with characters, stages, items, and bonuses. I guess the answer is "more of all of the above"?

Silkworm

I've never played SSBM nor do I have an interest in the series. But sales are sales, and if a game sells several million world wide, one would think it would get a sequel, esp. after a couple of years. But who knows what Nintendo is thinking. Hopefully it won't take until "Revolution" for the series to reappear but at this rate I suppose it's a possibilty which would be a shame for those who enjoy SSBM. I'm not sure the sequel would sell as much as I think that part of the large sales were due to the introduction of the game early in the GC lifespan when there was less for it to compete against. But, heck, even so I would image it would do very respectably sales-wise and maybe even prove my pessimistic viewpoint wrong. :)

BTW, could such a fast paced game work online? That would be one tweak to the game that I think would help it stand apart from it predecessor. But would online play of a game of this type be all that feasible? I don't know.

Any Smash Brothers sequel needs more Nintendo babes.

I demand:

Jessie / Musashi - Pokemon THE UBER HOTNESS!
Daisy

Is that too much to ask?!

We've got total weaksauce filler garbage like . . . Captain Falcon. Axe that wanker and make room for the shrink wrapped bosoms of Jessie!

Ristamar

Why the hell would they release (waste?) a sequel on the GC? Save it for the next console. Make it a true launch title. Put it online or something.

For fucks sake, SSBM is already damn near perfect for what it is, I don't see the need to rush one out the door unless they're going to significantly improve upon the formula.

EDIT: Well, yeah, I guess sales are a good reason, but I'd prefer a sequel early in the Revolution's life cycle rather than this gen.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Silkworm, I hereby strip you of your Nintendork past. No SSBM. :(

I think they should wait, and then put it online on the next console (or DS). :D

WHAT THE FUCK TTOB, CAPTAIN FALCON IS THE BEST CHARACTER!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Revolution launch indeed. SSBM was a huge and awesome surprise when the GCN game out. Matt pisses me off. I'm getting quite annoyed at all of the massproduced cookie cutter sequels we've been seeing. I didn't mind so much when it was only sports, but there's just something wrong with seeing so many iterations of Silent Hill, J&D, R&C, Tony Hawk, etc so close together. It's getting worse.

I'd rather wait for SSB3, wait for something awesome, instead of just more characters, more stages, and more trophies. SSBM was so remakably better than the original. I want THAT again, and I'll wait an extra year or two for it.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I think Nintendo see Smash Bros. like they do Mario Kart. We've never had more than one Mario Kart per system, I don't think we'll see more than one Smash Bros. either.

That doesn't explain why Nintendo does this, though I imagine it has something to do with them not seeing much in the way of improvements they could make on the same system, but I find it funny that Matt hasn't bitched about no Mario kart sequels before when it is just as strong a seller as Smash Bros.

Then there's the fact that the creator of Smash has left HAL. I understand he also created Kirby, but he was HUGELY influential in Smash Bros. and Melee, much more so than with Kirby. We may never even see another Smash if he was the main reason they got made, and even if we do who knows how good they'll be without him behind the game.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mejilan said:
Revolution launch indeed. SSBM was a huge and awesome surprise when the GCN game out. Matt pisses me off. I'm getting quite annoyed at all of the massproduced cookie cutter sequels we've been seeing. I didn't mind so much when it was only sports, but there's just something wrong with seeing so many iterations of Silent Hill, J&D, R&C, Tony Hawk, etc so close together. It's getting worse.

I'd rather wait for SSB3, wait for something awesome, instead of just more characters, more stages, and more trophies. SSBM was so remakably better than the original. I want THAT again, and I'll wait an extra year or two for it.

R&C only has one sequel at the moment, and will have two at the end of the year, and is definitely not cookie cutter. Don't lump it with THPS.

Silkworm

Wellington said:
Silkworm, I hereby strip you of your Nintendork past. No SSBM. :(

Egads! ;-)

Anyway, if you start hoarding all your titles for the next console, won't people in the meantime be somewhat put off with this? Why errode interest now? Keep SSBM fresh in peoples' minds (speaking of the general public) now instead of letting them forget about it. One title per generation is pretty atypical nowadays and though it can help to keep a series fresh with its infrequency it could also lead to loss of interest. JMHO. :)

Mrbob

Hah.

I knew before clicking on that link Matt was going to equate SSB:M to Gamecube as Halo to Xbox.

And he is right. SSB:M is probably Nintendos biggest GC franchise and Nintendo has dropped the ball on a sequel.

Tritroid

I don't think GC needs a SSBM sequel. There's hardly anything more they could do with SSBM since they packed it so full of characters, stages, items, and collectables. Waiting until Revolution would give Hal the chance to update the look and add new features, so I'm satisfied with waiting a few more years.

Mama Smurf

Oh the guy who created Smash Bros. and left HAL is called Masahiro Sakurai. Apparently he was the guy who insisted on continuously adding details and tricks to the game (which is partly what made Smash Bros. so brilliant), causing the game to get delayed and Nintendo basically had to cut him off at one point just so they could get the game out at a decent time.

I don't know how much that had to do with him leaving, but I hope it won't hurt the series too much.

Seriously, why all the bitching about Smash and none about Mario kart? Mario Kart's just as big if not bigger, it just hasn't had as long to sell this gen. We've NEVER seen a sequel on the same system for Mario Kart, but I don't see people going on about it.

And it's tough to say that Nintendo hasn't produced any games that follow in the footsteps of SSBM - they've been churning out fantastic four-player experiences with great variety and depth ever since. With all the variety we have to choose from, my friends haven't exactly been complaining.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Isn't this editorial just another excuse for Matt to write about Halo 2? He's probably the biggest fanboy of that franchise. IGN Xbox should throw him a bone and let him cover the title some. End his suffering!

Super Smash Brothers Melee: Nintendo Vs. Sega, a Nintendo Revolution Launch title. Wireless Internet 4-person Multiplayer. Over 50 characters. Yeah.

WHAT THE FUCK TTOB, CAPTAIN FALCON IS THE BEST CHARACTER!

You can't get your tiny lizard brain around Watchmen and you think Captain Falcon is cool? I reckon there's some sad correlation there too.

Man, Suerte is gonna be jealous you just stole his crown.

HAW HAW HAW!!! :p

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Silkworm said:
Egads! ;-)

Anyway, if you start hoarding all your titles for the next console, won't people in the meantime be somewhat put off with this? Why errode interest now? Keep SSBM fresh in peoples' minds (speaking of the general public) now instead of letting them forget about it. One title per generation is pretty atypical nowadays and though it can help to keep a series fresh with its infrequency it could also lead to loss of interest. JMHO. :)

True, and we already suffered through that one on the N64. I just want it to be online goddammit, and GC is dead in the water as far as that goes. C'mon SSBDS!

The Take Out Bandit said:
You can't get your tiny lizard brain around Watchmen and you think Captain Falcon is cool? I reckon there's some sad correlation there too.

Man, Suerte is gonna be jealous you just stole his crown.

HAW HAW HAW!!! :p

Who does your backword, antiquated way of thinking favor, Mr. Game & Watch I bet!

*Waits for inevitable Metroid Prime poster joke*

I really don't know what could be done other than just adding more of the same to the original. It has a bunch of characters, reasons to replay, lots of multiplayer modifiers...

I think they should just put their effort towards a version for Revolution, honestly. I don't think putting off a sequel for a game like this would really cause a problem.

Alcibiades

The GCN doesn't really need a sequel, it's like Mario Kart, the type of game that's good as a once-a-generation/platform thing...

If they did release a sequel, there would have to be some pretty big changes to stand out, and I suspect Nintenod likes that it's getting as many people to adapt to one version so word-of-mouth spreads the word... releasing another version (unless it had the same controls, etc...) might lead to people saying "I don't know how this one controls" or "I like the other version better"...

when something as perfect as Smash Bros. GCN comes around, why mess with it...

It's still selling really well at $30, and when it drops to $20 (probably sometime after the holidays) it will get another spike in sales maybe...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Semjaza Azazel said:
I really don't know what could be done other than just adding more of the same to the original. It has a bunch of characters, reasons to replay, lots of multiplayer modifiers...

I think they should just put their effort towards a version for Revolution, honestly. I don't think putting off a sequel for a game like this would really cause a problem.

I'm gonna have to hold up a flag on this one, SSBM was more of the same from the original. The tweaks to the core gameplay (dodging) and the immense amount of items/characters/levels were just icing on the cake composed of a winning formula.

Edit: And events.

Jumpman

Give me a break Matt. It's been a whole two and a half years since the last Smash Bros., and suddenly there is some kind of problem that there isn't another one right on the horizon? Releasing a sequel just for the sake of sales is bad long term business. Nintendo has always been one give their franchises a breather, rather than rush the next one out the door. You should know this since you have been covering them for some time. Give Nintendo the chance to do something special with the next Smash Bros., and relax, they obviously will not forget the success of SSBM. If they released a sequel with a slight roster update, a few new stages, a couple new tunes, and maybe a handfull of new moves, you would write a scathing review, attacking the lack of innovation. If you're so hard up for some Smash Bros. action, pull out your copy of SSBM and enjoy! It's still as fun as it was when it launched.

Alcibiades

Silkworm said:
Egads! ;-)

Considering the word-of-mouth the title receives and how much it's still played in videogame circles, I doubt "keeping it fresh in peoples minds" (even for casuals) is going to be a problem if Nintenod releases one at launch of Revolution...

Mama Smurf

You know, it's pretty crappy when an article from the main guy behind one of the biggest GC sites on the net (probably the biggest in fact) doesn't mention that Masahiro Sakurai, the game's creator, has left HAL in an article like this. It's not like Nintendo NEED him to make a sequel, but it's got to be a strong point he needs to get down.

It's either really bad choices on his part not to include that, or really bad research.

Who does your backword, antiquated way of thinking favor, Mr. Game & Watch I bet!

Nobody.

I think Smash Bros. is a fucking joke kiddie fighter. I'll stick to VF4e, SC2, GGX2, SF2, etc. They don't completely offend my sensibilities.

Nintendo has to up the mammary ante before I give a hoot. I'll gladly suspend my disgust at the totally retarded premise of a Nintendo mascot fighter just to kick your ass with Jessie's micro miniskirt! :q

^_^

Culex

Banned
SSBM is already as perfect as the series can get on the GC. The only way to make it better is with online, and well, we all know that isn't happening with the GC.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I guess seeing how many sequels we've gotten this generation, people believe that a developer can shit a sequel whenever they want and still have it be a great game. Come on now, they'd really have to try hard to make a sequel that's actually better than SSBM. I bet that if they did make a sequel, most of you would be crying that it's just more of the same, blah blah. Cry for a sequel all you want, I bet it wouldn't satisfy most of you people at the end. What can they add or improve that could possibily warrant a sequel? It'd be like the Mario Party effect. People ignoring it or whatever just cause it feels like a 'rehash'

Alcibiades

Jumpman said:
Give me a break Matt. It's been a whole two and a half years since the last Smash Bros., and suddenly there is some kind of problem that there isn't another one right on the horizon? Releasing a sequel just for the sake of sales is bad long term business. Nintendo has always been one give their franchises a breather, rather than rush the next one out the door. You should know this since you have been covering them for some time. Give Nintendo the chance to do something special with the next Smash Bros., and relax, they obviously will not forget the success of SSBM. If they released a sequel with a slight roster update, a few new stages, a couple new tunes, and maybe a handfull of new moves, you would write a scathing review, attacking the lack of innovation. If you're so hard up for some Smash Bros. action, pull out your copy of SSBM and enjoy! It's still as fun as it was when it launched.

true, they seem to have this hate-Nintendo attitude if the title isn't online, and they'd probably start criticizing random Nintendo business decisions to find reasons to give it less than an 8.0

The thing is Smash Bros. is a multiplayer game, and as such, the replay value is pretty endless...

For games like Metroid Prime, Zelda (well, until Four Swords), Nintendo sometimes takes breaks, but would be wise to keep them coming, as one-player experiences can die out in the gaming world much more quickly...

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I honestly don't think it needs an immediate sequel. The game is packed. I'll tell you what I think and why it makes certain people like Matt go off about it....SSBM should actually be the model for more Nintendo franchises. It has a level of polish and a wealth of extras and care that frankly they don't put in to all their franchises. I think that's why it's so pleasing. Don't get me wrong, they have a lot of great games going, but most major releases on this platform feel a bit unfinished. Not in a buggy sense, but in the sense that there could have been a lot more there to the package. SSBM on the other hand always feels as though there is more to see and enjoy and whether you really enjoy the game or not it's pretty impossible not to be impressed with it's depth of content along with how great it looks, etc. It's also proof that so many of the multiplayer titles Nintendo releases don't have to skimp on extras so as not to be just as satisfying to the single player.

It may not be the most original or surprising Nintendo title but it's value compares favorably to sooo many games that came after it.

Alcibiades

Culex said:
SSBM is already as perfect as the series can get on the GC. The only way to make it better is with online, and well, we all know that isn't happening with the GC.

Not to mention that putting a game like this online would be pretty difficult from what I hear of the difficulty of putting ifighters (2-d ones at that) online, I can only imagine the lag and slowdown that would affect a complex, option-rich, 4-player like Smash Brothers...

Unless they have the game as consistent as it would be with 4-player social matches, I don't really want to see this go online...

Spike

When the realistic Zelda eventually ships, it'll be the top-selling game on the Cube. The sequel to SSB:M can wait for the revolution!

Jumpman

efralope said:
true, they seem to have this hate-Nintendo attitude if the title isn't online, and they'd probably start criticizing random Nintendo business decisions to find reasons to give it less than an 8.0

The thing is Smash Bros. is a multiplayer game, and as such, the replay value is pretty endless...

For games like Metroid Prime, Zelda (well, until Four Swords), Nintendo sometimes takes breaks, but would be wise to keep them coming, as one-player experiences can die out in the gaming world much more quickly...

I think games series should have no more than one new entry every two years, at most. Three years is better, and once per hardware generation, ideal. It's true that they don't want people to forget their games, or waste the popularity of a franchise by letting it sit to long. But to many sequels to soon will run the risk of burning to brightly, and may cause the interest of fans to fizzle prematurely. When a franchise is new, it is important to get as much attention as possible so you can hook the fans for future additions. In those cases it is understandable if the sequel comes 12 to 18 months after the first (Splinter Cell series). Once your franchise is established though, you must slow down. Let people clamor for the next in the series, as they will generate hype for the sequel automatically. Far to many games companies do not understand this, and thusly destroy the very frachises they worked so hard to create ( Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Hitman, etc.).

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
efralope said:
Not to mention that putting a game like this online would be pretty difficult from what I hear of the difficulty of putting ifighters (2-d ones at that) online, I can only imagine the lag and slowdown that would affect a complex, option-rich, 4-player like Smash Brothers...

Unless they have the game as consistent as it would be with 4-player social matches, I don't really want to see this go online...

Only way the game would work would be to keep pings under 30 probably. The game NEEDS to go online though.

Imagine a world-wide ranking system. Its necessary for a game like SSBM. Tournaments are very popular, but imagine an online world-wide tournament.

Deku Tree

I'm sick of all this Halo 2 envy @ IGN cube and IGN PS2.
And I don't want a SSBM sequel on the GC, save it for the Revolution.
I want Zelda Reborn, MP2:E, RE4 and Jungle Beat!

SKluck

Banned
I can't really think of anything NINTENDO would add to this franchise. There's lots of different ways they could go. Full 3d.. deeper gameplay mechanics, larger online teams, vehicles, mounts, who knows.

But knowing Nintendo they will probably just wait for the next platform to make the same game with a few more characters, levels, and a new move or something. It has happened 20 times, everyone knows the story.

Bow down to Bungie and accept Halo 2 into your heart as your lord and savior, you will become a better person.

Jumpman said:
I think games series should have no more than one new entry every two years, at most. Three years is better, and once per hardware generation, ideal. It's true that they don't want people to forget their games, or waste the popularity of a franchise by letting it sit to long. But to many sequels to soon will run the risk of burning to brightly, and may cause the interest of fans to fizzle prematurely. When a franchise is new, it is important to get as much attention as possible so you can hook the fans for future additions. In those cases it is understandable if the sequel comes 12 to 18 months after the first (Splinter Cell series). Once your franchise is established though, you must slow down. Let people clamor for the next in the series, as they will generate hype for the sequel automatically. Far to many games companies do not understand this, and thusly destroy the very frachises they worked so hard to create ( Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Hitman, etc.).

I agree 100%. Too many times Do Companies Rush out Sequesls, How Nintendo normaly handels sequels is perfect ( they usually do one per generation and sometimes two.) The one game that wasn't handeled in the normal Nintendo way has lost it once great appeal, I am speaking of Mario Party, too many sequels too fast. So many games seem to birth a new game in the series each year, games like Tony hawk, and Final fantasy ( Final fantasy was helped only Becuase 11 was an online only game, and people like myself can't play it, so iam looking forword to 12), and I would Rather see Smash Brothers follow in the foot Steps. I guess that what i am saying, doing a sequel like smash Brothers once a generation allows a person to look forward to the next one. The thing is you have to be sure people remeber that Franchase and do a game per generation or they will forget, Sega is bad about this.

Ristamar

Wellington said:
I'm gonna have to hold up a flag on this one, SSBM was more of the same from the original. The tweaks to the core gameplay (dodging) and the immense amount of items/characters/levels were just icing on the cake composed of a winning formula.

Edit: And events.

Don't forget Adventure mode.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SKluck said:
I can't really think of anything NINTENDO would add to this franchise. There's lots of different ways they could go. <b> Full 3d.. deeper gameplay mechanics, larger online teams, vehicles, mounts, who knows.</b>

But knowing Nintendo they will probably just wait for the next platform to make the same game with a few more characters, levels, and a new move or something. It has happened 20 times, everyone knows the story.

Bow down to Bungie and accept Halo 2 into your heart as your lord and savior, you will become a better person.

Um... I disagree with a lot of what you said. 3D? Deeper gameplay mechanics? The Smash Bros. series doesn't need those. One of the reasons it's so popular is because they made it simple enough for anyone to be able to play, but deep enough so that skill plays a huge part. If they made it more complex, and/or put it in 3D, the charm of SSB because of it's polish and simplicity would be ruined. Vehicles? This isn't Halo, this is a fighter between Nintendo mascots. I don't know what you mean by "mounts," The only thing you nailed right on the head is that online should be in the next one.

If Nintendo simply added more trophies, music, chars, levels, and moves to the next Smash Bros, I don't think anyone would have a problem. It's already one of the most polished games out them.

And what the hell does Halo 2 have to do with this? -_-

Jumpman said:
Far to many games companies do not understand this, and thusly destroy the very frachises they worked so hard to create ( Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Hitman, etc.).

Man, all the GA hate of THPS stuns me. I've been a diehard since the original and own 2 all the way to THUG. I took a year break when 4 was released since I was a bit burnt out (also because I just finished the equally awesome Aggressive Inline), but picked it up on the cheap later and re-ignited my love for the game. Neversoft gives you all new levels plus adds a good deal of innovation to the gameplay (which for the most part works), just treat it like the sports series it is. Additionally, unlike Tomb Raider these games are still good and still sell.

That being said I think the only thing missing from SSB:M was just a bit more. I would have liked a greater variety in characters and sets, but I agree the gameplay is pretty much peaked.

cvxfreak

Musashi Wins! said:
I honestly don't think it needs an immediate sequel. The game is packed. I'll tell you what I think and why it makes certain people like Matt go off about it....SSBM should actually be the model for more Nintendo franchises. It has a level of polish and a wealth of extras and care that frankly they don't put in to all their franchises. I think that's why it's so pleasing. Don't get me wrong, they have a lot of great games going, but most major releases on this platform feel a bit unfinished. Not in a buggy sense, but in the sense that there could have been a lot more there to the package. SSBM on the other hand always feels as though there is more to see and enjoy and whether you really enjoy the game or not it's pretty impossible not to be impressed with it's depth of content along with how great it looks, etc. It's also proof that so many of the multiplayer titles Nintendo releases don't have to skimp on extras so as not to be just as satisfying to the single player.

It may not be the most original or surprising Nintendo title but it's value compares favorably to sooo many games that came after it.

100% true. Look at the extras in SSBM, and then take a look at Double Dash. DD had a lot of courses and was fun, but it was lacking in modes. A few N64 stages would have been nice too.

Dave Long

Banned
They should plan a spin-off for the next system and have it be based entirely on Pokémon. Encorporate the catch 'em all mechanics into an actual Pokémon real-time battle game. Now that would RAWK!

"What would be scary to me is the alternative: that Nintendo could simply forget about the franchise that single-handedly sold GameCube to consumers."

Ah yes, I'm truly scared of Nintendo forgetting about their best selling game. Somebody hit me in the face with a giant aluminum softball bat, PLEASE.

Top Bottom