• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 screens

w112218123.jpg

:(

WTF? Is this a joke?

Never thought I would complain about too much color in games. This game could have been any new game without Max Payne label on it.

Neomoto

This thread and the thread before that shows how wrong Rockstar has taken the direction of this game.

I think we need the post from the earlier thread, "the summary" of this game with details we know. It aint a pretty sight to see for Max Payne fans though.

Kifimbo

AltogetherAndrews said:
You clowns had better not ever bitch about stagnation and formulaic sequels.

Sequels are meant to be formulaic, especially when we are talking about something as great as Max Payne. If you want to create a new action game in a different setting with a totally different looking character with a different studio behind it, call it something else and start a new franchise.

Zeliard

Kifimbo said:
Sequels are meant to be formulaic, especially when we are talking about Max Payne. If you want to create a new action game in a different setting with a totally different looking character with a different studio behind it, call it something else and start a new franchise.

It's guaranteed that people would be bitching about "another brown third-person shooter with bullet-time" if Max Payne 3 resembled the originals.

This looks amazing. I am really digging the art style and the direction they are taking this game. In a post 9/11 world this is the Max Payne that makes sense and given the events that took place in the previous games, this is a logical evolution of the character.

Xater

FirstInHell said:
This looks amazing. I am really digging the art style and the direction they are taking this game. In a post 9/11 world this is the Max Payne that makes sense and given the events that took place in the previous games, this is a logical evolution of the character.

No the logical evolution wold be drugged Max lying in his own puke in a New York back street.

Zeliard said:
It's guaranteed that people would be bitching about "another brown third-person shooter with bullet-time" if Max Payne 3 resembled the originals.

Yes, but at least our memories wont be pissed on and the Max Payne brand wont be diluted.

Like I said earlier... i'm sure this game will turn out great, but I see nothing yet which makes me think this is MAX PAYNE.

Seeing a bunch of Splinter Cell references is certainly a hoot given the massive shift in story and gameplay that franchise has seen between CT and the latest, much loved, demonstration.

Az987

all good things
:lol @ you guys

After reading the GI article i think it looks cool

sorry but they had to change it up

Jim

Buckethead said:
Please change the thread title to "New screenshots from Rockstar Games' Uncharted featuring fat biker slob as Drake".

As a friend pointed out... he does have a half-tuck.

Calcaneus

I just wanna imagine the noir-like dialogue coming out of Max "Big Mutha Truckers" Payne while he's shooting dudes in broad daylight.

I would take stagnation up the ass, frankly.

Darklord

Banned
Az987 said:
:lol @ you guys

After reading the GI article i think it looks cool

sorry but they had to change it up

Why? It had an amazing story and style. They can't change it without making it a completely different game?

Do we really need more safe sequels in this world? Fuck playing it safe, I'm glad Rockstar is shaking up the formula. I hope it turns out nice, the story is my only question mark. I love the new look personally.

TheFallen

*time travels to a few months from now when videos are shown and more is known about the game and of course NeoGAF's responses are 'ALL OVER MY FACE'*

Cat in the Hat said:
Do we really need more safe sequels in this world? Fuck playing it safe, I'm glad Rockstar is shaking up the formula. I hope it turns out nice, the story is my only question mark. I love the new look personally.

I think the MP series was anything but safe. The old games still have a style and gameplay that is completely unique to the series. Ever single one of these shots looks generic.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
i can't wait for this game's zombie plot twist

it's going to be so original

He's adopted a 6 month old baby. Feeding the baby mini-game confirmed.

They are literally 'shaking the formula.'

Twix

So we have another developer trying to escape the difficulties of rendering a good looking hair by taking the bald character route.

Fuck this shit, it does not look like Max Payne game at all.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I think the MP series was anything but safe. The old games still have a style and gameplay that is completely unique to the series. Ever single one of these shots looks generic.
Well i'm talking looks here not gameplay. How can you judge gameplay by screenshots?

Zeliard

iamcool388 said:
Yes, but at least our memories wont be pissed on and the Max Payne brand wont be diluted.

Like I said earlier... i'm sure this game will turn out great, but I see nothing yet which makes me think this is MAX PAYNE.

We know virtually nothing about the game. What set Max Payne apart was mostly the storytelling, the level design and the gameplay. Some of the most memorable stuff in the game had nothing to do with noir, like the funhouse level in MP2.

As long as they come up with a cool hard-boiled storyline, stylish gunplay and some fun, unique levels, the Max Payne spirit will still be there.

Twix said:
So we have another developer trying to escape the difficulties of rendering a good looking hair by taking the bald character route.

Fuck this shit, it does not look like Max Payne game at all.

Bald is fucking awesome. Also, hair is a liability in combat.

Darklord

Banned
Cat in the Hat said:

They went to boring generic third person shoot. How is that playing it safe? How many of those are around? 900. How many noir styled games that have amazing stories are out there? A hell of a lot less.

That looks absolutely nothing like a Max Payne game. If you are going to play so fast and loose with a licence, why not just call it GTA: Double Agent and enjoy the extra sales?

jett

D-Member
Looks...kinda hideos. There's something wrong with the color balance. Also...what happened to the noir stylings of the original games? :/

Cat in the Hat said:
Well i'm talking looks here not gameplay. How can you judge gameplay by screenshots?

We really can't but MP is a visually striking game and with a next-gen engine imagine the kind of look Rockstar could have created it they had really pushed the envelope. All these shots look like every other game we have already gotten this gen.

Not saying the game wont play great.

Druz

Cat in the Hat said:

It's absolutely not safe staying with the IPs roots, I don't think MP2 did too well sales wise.

They moved INTO safe territory when they ripped off every top selling game in the genre and TACKED IT ONTO an already established IPs name because sequels sell. They created a new game under the safety of name recognition. The new look is terrible.

Top Bottom