• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 7th | UK General Election 2015 OT - Please go vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
"I blue myself" for the PoliGAF OT, but "My buttocks are smooth, my mind is clear" for the European referendum.

The fact that there is going to be someone who must be, totally straight-faced, referred to as 'Sir Pickles' is a good enough reason.

EDIT: Sir! He's not being made a peer. -_- I need sleep.

And for the Harold Bishop doppelganger community.

I am of the understanding that when harold became evil harold they shipped in pickles to do the job as he had prior training

The fact that there is going to be someone who must be, totally straight-faced, referred to as 'Sir Pickles' is a good enough reason.

EDIT: Sir! He's not being made a peer. -_- I need sleep.

It'd be Sir Eric dude - just like it's Sir Humphrey and not Sir Appleby

_83174913_letter.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32849065

Alistair Carmichael is a fucking liar who knew what had happened yet went on TV to say the first he had heard about it was from a journalist, and then kept up the pretence whilst an expensive investigation into what happened, and what he did was deliberate dirty tricks during an election campaign to discredit his opponents.

Not only that despite him lying he deliberately went through the general election campaign holding in the truth, and even then only held on by 800 votes, which if the truth had came out there's every possibility he could have lost.

I thought he was better than this, and I assumed it was his underlings that did it, but thew man is a liar and a fraud and simply must resign.

Kathian

Banned
Shocking news. We knew it was him and that none of it made sense. What the hell was he thinking? Can expect the foreign office would be quite angry about it as well.

Spaghetti

Alistair Carmichael is a fucking liar who knew what had happened yet went on TV to say the first he had heard about it was from a journalist, and then kept up the pretence whilst an expensive investigation into what happened, and what he did was deliberate dirty tricks during an election campaign to discredit his opponents.

Not only that despite him lying he deliberately went through the general election campaign holding in the truth, and even then only held on by 800 votes, which if the truth had came out there's every possibility he could have lost.

I thought he was better than this, and I assumed it was his underlings that did it, but thew man is a liar and a fraud and simply must resign.
did those MP recall laws actually get implemented?

if so, a by-election needs to happen immediately to kill the last lib dem in scotland.

So Labour are basically going to ignore the REAL reasons why they lost the election and use it as an excuse to become more right wing and authoritarian just like the Tories.

I will now use my extraordinary powers to see the result of the General Election in 2020. If Ms Kendall is leader of the Labour party then the Tories will win by a fucking landslide.

Kathian

Banned
Fact is the post-election analysis just shows that losing Scotland lost England - Labour are in an awful position of needing to accept both Blairism and Brownism made major errors both in government and in election campaigning.

If anything the affects Blairism has had on Labour's core should tell them to be very concerned about ignoring them - Blairism too often was a band aid and in the cold light of day did not make a big difference to most people in the country - so they ask why vote Labour when government is not doing anything for them.

If they go right, they need to counter UKIP and Tory claims on what is affecting the countries working class. Kendall actually acknowledges they could be wiped out in the UK as easily as in Scotland so frankly I think she gets the need to 'Keep up Appearances' (Miliband was not that left wing in his policies, he just had a left wing POV).

So Labour are basically going to ignore the REAL reasons why they lost the election and use it as an excuse to become more right wing and authoritarian just like the Tories.

I will now use my extraordinary powers to see the result of the General Election in 2020. If Ms Kendall is leader of the Labour party then the Tories will win by a fucking landslide.

Saying the word "REAL" in capital letters in front of "reasons" doesn't actually mean that your analysis is correct though, does it?

Saying the word "REAL" in capital letters in front of "reasons" doesn't actually mean that your analysis is correct though, does it?

The evidence I have seen strongly suggests to me the two key reasons Labour lost the general election was A) Labour had an unelectable leader and B) A Labour/SNP coalition scared the shit out of English voters.

Alternatively if you want to believe that the majority of the electorate took a good honest balanced look at the manifesto's of both parties and then voted based on that, then of course feel free.

f0rk

The evidence I have seen strongly suggests to me the two key reasons Labour lost the general election was A) Labour had an unelectable leader and B) A Labour/SNP coalition scared the shit out of English voters.

Alternatively if you want to believe that the majority of the electorate took a good honest balanced look at the manifesto's of both parties and then voted based on that, then of course feel free.
You're right, Labour should move further left while judging anyone that disagrees with them as misinformed. That's how to connect with voters and win back seats

PJV3

You're right, Labour should move further left while judging anyone that disagrees with them as misinformed. That's how to connect with voters and win back seats

To be fair it felt like the most policy free election i can remember, the tories were throwing out all sorts of promises and it barely merited discussion. Labour's problem isn't a left/right thing, it can't reconcile Scotland with England and the North with the South.

I think Scotland was an issue but if the idea is that the prospect of Labour being in coalition with a party to the left of them lost them votes, I'm not sure how that translates into them moving left = greater success. And whilst I don't think people took a careful look at each manifesto, 5 years of hearing a certain message from one side and another message from another lead people to move towards the Tories, again, I think it's hard to work out where the votes to support a even-more-left Labour party will come from. Literally the only answer is by targetting those that didn't vote, but that's dangerous for all manner of reasons.

To be fair, I don't think it was an SNP are left issue, it was a "dirty scots taking all your money" issue.

Yup pretty much this, the Tories and the media recognised how "scary" the SNP could be to English voters and they ran with it for all it's worth. It didn't help that Sturgeon and Salmond kept pouring fuel on the fire either ..... makes me wonder if that was intentional.

In my mind I don't think it matters if Labour moves more right, further left or goes up, or down or even if they shake a leg and do the hokey bloody cokey. Their main problem is the fact they do not have anyone outside of Jarvis that would make a credible prime minister in the electorates eyes.

Even if they do get a credible leader they still have to deal with the Scottish situation. The English will not vote Labour if there is a chance it will lead to a Labour/SNP coalition.

To be fair, I don't think it was an SNP are left issue, it was a "dirty scots taking all your money" issue.

Sure, but that doesn't answer the question of where the votes will come from. Or, to put it another way, how many people do you think simultaneously believe that a) they want a Labour party that's left of where Ed took it and b) were worried about the left-wing SNP stealing their moolah? And is that number enough to make up the 98 seat difference between Red and Blue?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, but that doesn't answer the question of where the votes will come from. Or, to put it another way, how many people do you think simultaneously believe that a) they want a Labour party that's left of where Ed took it and b) were worried about the left-wing SNP stealing their moolah? And is that number enough to make up the 98 seat difference between Red and Blue?

This, as much as I hate to agree with you Cyclops. :p The electoral market for 'wants red Labour but not the SNP' is small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom