• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 7th | UK General Election 2015 OT - Please go vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Par Score

Tories probably want the chance to vote for Tristram Hunt.

The party is in a precarious position and they pull this stunt.

'Open primaries' actually have quite a long and successful history, because it forces potential candidates to appeal to more than just the committed base of their party.

Look what happens to the Republican party in America due to their closed system, you end up with rape apologists, people who claim the bottom 47% of the country are parasites, a slate full of candidates who oppose same-sex marriage, etc.

If only the party faithful get a say, that can lead you down some serious dead ends. Of course by opening it up you run into some other risks, but it's not inherently a bad idea or some gimmick.

Tak3n

Banned
It's looking like Burnham being leader for a couple of years is the best bet at the moment. If he's polling terribly then he might have the sense to step aside.

it mind fucks me that a politician who was part of the Mid-Staffs even has a political career at all let alone a leader...

Labour are fucked, now it really is a ten year Con government

cjp

So I just came across that AMA on reddit with Bernie Sanders, a presidential candidate for the U.S, and decided to look into him a little further.

He has an older brother who moved to the UK in '69 and has been a councillor for the Green Party as well as running for MP in this election and lost.

His brother, Larry Sanders, was a Green Party County Councillor representing the East Oxford division on Oxfordshire County Council, in England, until his retirement in 2013.[92][93][94] Larry ran as a Green Party candidate for Oxford West and Abingdon in the 2015 general election and lost.[95][96]

Just thought it was pretty interesting.

Nicktendo86

So Tristram Hunt has just pulled out the leadership race to back Liz Kendall.

It feels like the union man Burnham vs the Blairites of the party rallying agaisnt him a bit, doesn't it? Also looks likely there will only be three candidates in the end.

tomtom94

Oh thank fuck.

It feels like the union man Burnham vs the Blairites of the party rallying agaisnt him a bit, doesn't it? Also looks likely there will only be three candidates in the end.

Implying that Burnham's not a Blairite at heart as well - there was a great (depressing, from my perspective) bit in Private Eye last week about all of that. I'd say it's less ideology an more that Burnham is the (self-appointed) obvious candidate and everyone else is rallying to stop him.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Implying that Burnham's not a Blairite at heart as well - there was a great (depressing, from my perspective) bit in Private Eye last week about all of that. I'd say it's less ideology an more that Burnham is the (self-appointed) obvious candidate and everyone else is rallying to stop him.

If we're using "Blairite" and "Brownite" to mean "associated with Blair" and "associated with Brown" respectively and not just as weird pseudo-monikers for "on the right of the Labour Party" and "irrelevant" respectively, then Burnham is not a Blairite. He was in Brown's camp, albeit on the fringes of it.

Not that surprising, Tristram never had a hope in hell anyway.

It's astonishing to me that the unions are once again pushing for someone who would be unelectable. I'm surprised they didn't ask Jon Cruddas to stand.

Kathian

Banned
weird how these things go. in the nineties the labour party was full of talent and now the best thing they can throw at the leadership is burnham. someone of his calibre wouldn't have even been able to get enough mp's to support him back then

More or less why Power is cyclical. Hence all the talk of blood letting; anyway Burnham is quite good, the attacks on him seem to be hes a lefty but in a lot of areas hes more centralist than Miliband (who again was not some mental lefty).

Burnham will need to build up a strong cabinet well made from the new intakes though; too many old faces but at the same time theres always a risk they won't quite be that successful or good at their jobs - take Chuka, I felt he did a poor job and clearly advised Miliband wrongly and his leadership shambles has been a bit pathetic.

UK Labour are doing well to have a discussion and not jump too hard to the media lovies like SLAB did with Murphy (still find it unbelievable how much praise he gets, his debating style and campaign had a negative impact on Labour, they were not looking to lose this many seats when he took over!); so we'll see what comes out of it.

One big thing though - if its not working, stick on a Tory hat and stab them in the back.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murphy ran a shit campaign, but I thought he actually did pretty well in the Scotland debates specifically; the tide of opinion was just far too heavily against him at that point and to be honest he's a shite candidate in every other respect so idgaf.

kmag

Burham's a Blairite he was associated with Brown but positionally he's very Blair centre ground (there's a notion that whoever the front runner is they'll immediately be pegged with the leftist tag by the media). It's just different fractions of Blairites against each other, Ed was a Brownite (as was Balls) but with Balls humilation the Brownites are basically beaten leaderless and resigned to staying quiet.

Cooper has feet in both camps.

Edit: just saw Crab's post. Blairite in that it the big tent not an inch more to the left than is required

Kathian

Banned
Brown, Miliband now Burnham. Labour just needs to find someone who looks halfway normal.

Burnham looks normal. Not quite sure what your definition of normal is. God, Miliband looked normal, he just held himself poorly. Brown was normal but got forced by those around him to be out his comfort zone so he came across strangely.

Quite confused how Burnham is abnormal looking; he looks like an average British person in a suit.

PJV3

Burnham looks normal. Not quite sure what your definition of normal is. God, Miliband looked normal, he just held himself poorly. Brown was normal but got forced by those around him to be out his comfort zone so he came across strangely.

Quite confused how Burnham is abnormal looking; he looks like an average British person in a suit.

Sometime he looks like he's caught his winkle in his zipper. A slightly pained look.

But he looks normal to me as well.

Tak3n

Banned
Burnham is a union pick, so he is fucked there, he was in power at mid-staffs so he is fucked there...he was largely responsible for getting the inquest into Hillsborough so he will get a lot of good will in the Liverpool area...but still it looks like he is a fav, and the tories will have a fucking great stick to start hitting him with......

why oh why don't they find someone non toxic

Spaghetti

Murphy ran a shit campaign, but I thought he actually did pretty well in the Scotland debates specifically; the tide of opinion was just far too heavily against him at that point and to be honest he's a shite candidate in every other respect so idgaf.
a neocon as the head of the scottish labour party was never going to work, really.

Polari

It's the eyes - he looks like a Thunderbird.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: just saw Crab's post. Blairite in that it the big tent not an inch more to the left than is required

This use of Blairite really needs to die. Blair's not even around any more, c'mon. :p Are we still going be calling rightwing Labour candidates 'Blairite' 50 years down the line?

mclem

So I just came across that AMA on reddit with Bernie Sanders, a presidential candidate for the U.S, and decided to look into him a little further.

He has an older brother who moved to the UK in '69 and has been a councillor for the Green Party as well as running for MP in this election and lost.

Just thought it was pretty interesting.

Oh my. I remember looking at the lineup for Oxford West (It's the constituency next to ours, and one with a more interesting battle this time around). I think I made a Larry Sanders Show gag at the time. Didn't realise he was related to Bernie.

More or less why Power is cyclical. Hence all the talk of blood letting; anyway Burnham is quite good, the attacks on him seem to be hes a lefty but in a lot of areas hes more centralist than Miliband (who again was not some mental lefty).

Burnham will need to build up a strong cabinet well made from the new intakes though; too many old faces but at the same time theres always a risk they won't quite be that successful or good at their jobs - take Chuka, I felt he did a poor job and clearly advised Miliband wrongly and his leadership shambles has been a bit pathetic.

Midstaffs is going to be a massive millstone around his neck though. I think he has too much baggage to do well nationally.

If someone was being a little bitch in our playground during a game of Binball, we'd call say "Stop being a little fucking Chamberlain".

I hate it when players pretend to engage in peace talks they know to be doomed while secretly preparing for war too

It's just not cricket

Nicktendo86

Burnham is a union pick, so he is fucked there, he was in power at mid-staffs so he is fucked there...he was largely responsible for getting the inquest into Hillsborough so he will get a lot of good will in the Liverpool area...but still it looks like he is a fav, and the tories will have a fucking great stick to start hitting him with......

why oh why don't they find someone non toxic
He was also chief sec to the treasury during 07-08 wasn't he so the Tories will have another stick to beat him there, rightly or wrongly they will say the man writing the cheques as the economy imploded can't be trusted as PM.

Nicktendo86

Sadiq Khan does his mayoral hopes the world of good.

Senior Labour MP Sadiq Khan has lashed out at Ed Miliband’s defeat to brand Britain’s voters “bastards”.

The close friend of the disastrous former Labour leader tore into the electorate on polling day night as the scale of his party’s defeat emerged.

In an impromptu speech to local Labour Party members in Battersea, south west London, one of the angry attacks Mr Khan made on the public was: “Voters are bastards”.

The former shadow justice secretary’s bombshell remark angered listening party activists.

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/senior-labour-mp-voters-are-bstards/

Jezbollah

Hi all. If anyone's not put themselves up for it, I'm going to create a UKPoliGAF OT for next week's opening of Parliament.

Please fire away with OT names. GO!

Hi all. If anyone's not put themselves up for it, I'm going to create a UKPoliGAF OT for next week's opening of Parliament.

I've said it before and have said it again, we just need to quote:
Screen+Shot+2013-01-28+at+16.22.19.png

UKPoliGAF |OT2| I never asked for this

UKPoliGAF |OT2| It's the EU stupid

UKPoliGAF |OT2| United Kingdom of England and Wales

UKPoliGAF |OT2| Constitutional crisis? What constitutional crisis?

UKPoliGAF |OT2| Close the borders! Problem solved?

UKPoliGAF |OT2| UK does what EU don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom