• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May 7th | UK General Election 2015 OT - Please go vote!

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I've forgotten the Timeline exactly, but it was Alan Johnson who was more responsible for Mid Staffs. Burnham walked into the car crash, so to speak.

Still, he handled it badly and I wouldn't want him as leader either.

Yup they both fucked up horribly and tragically. They should be nowhere near the party leadership.

Tak3n

Banned
anyone else concerned what is happening to the Labour party, they seem to be imploding...

Scottish Labour all but gone, UK Labour no one really seems to want the fucking job, well no one half decent..

Strong opposition is vital to any government, but the way things are going it is going to be a cakewalk this 5 years for the Tories

anyone else concerned what is happening to the Labour party, they seem to be imploding...

Scottish Labour all but gone, UK Labour no one really seems to want the fucking job, well no one half decent..

Strong opposition is vital to any government, but the way things are going it is going to be a cakewalk this 5 years for the Tories
merge with SNP, welcome the takeover

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So... Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper, Liz Kendall and Mary Creagh. Gosh. That's uh... slim pickings. I wish Lammy would throw his hat in, he'd be my first choice from that bunch. I know he was considering it. Still, I guess Burnham > Kendall > Cooper > Creagh, I think.

Tak3n

Banned
Tristram Hunt: "These are the huge challenges facing the future of the UK... Immigration has put pressure on wage rates... The uncomfortable truth is... [people who are being undercut] have to go up the value chain, and the state has to support [them]. The way you get through immigration questions is education and skills."

You see the problem with what he is saying there is that it has already happened, Degrees are so common now the unspecific degrees are almost ignored

Tak3n

Banned
Plot twist: Dan Jarvis changes his mind, minutes before the leadership deadline.
There is much rejoicing.

I have said it before, but I honestly feel Chuka and him are playing the long game, they I reckon are thinking another loss 2020, real fight is in 2025

PJV3

I feel this was going to happen at some point anyway.

It will end up like the Libdem's, a good chunk of membership isn't going to campaign for what's going to be on offer. Tristram Hunt leading the Labour party, how can this even be a fucking option.

Tak3n

Banned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32761561

The infighting has started

Prospective Labour leaders have clashed over Labour's record in government in their first public debate in the race to succeed Ed Miliband.

Former cabinet ministers including Yvette Cooper and Andy Burnham defended Labour's fiscal record and spending on schools and hospitals.

However, candidates from the 2010 intake of MPs argued that the party spent too much while in office.

Tak3n

Banned
George Osbourne has announced the 8th July for a Buget

"I can not wait to fuck anyone who is not rich in the ass" he said in his head, but officially

I don't want to wait to deliver on the commitments we have made to working people,"

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dan Jarvis gets a standing ovation and asked to change his mind at a hustings meeting

He really should. Labour could ride the Jarviswagon all the way to Westminster. Activists are desperate at this point, they've even been in last ditch talks to try and persuade Keir Starmer to stand and he's been in Parliament all of a week.

Tak3n

Banned
He really should. Labour could ride the Jarviswagon all the way to Westminster. Activists are desperate at this point, they've even been in last ditch talks to try and persuade Keir Starmer to stand and he's been in Parliament all of a week.

it's funny as I think he is the only one that can unite them, they need to offer him a team of nannies or whatever he wants.... all the other candidates will split the party

The tories are even scared of this guy, he is like the all American hero, but British

Jarvis really needs to change his mind, no country does well having as weak an opposition as the uk would if one of these never-was-beens became leader.

PJV3

Just promise to give him time for his children.
Starmer for shadow home secretary, god knows who for shadow chancellor.

RedShift

Sometimes I think I might like to go into politics one day. Then I realise that eventually some journalist is going to dig up my GAF account and find all the jokes I made about Prince Harry obviously not being Prince Charles' son and so on. Or they'll find that picture of me on Facebook when I was 17 passed out with a bra on my head and a Hitler moustache drawn on in mascara.

I can't imagine how anyone in my generation will ever have a clean enough past to be a politician. I kind of think Chukka had the same revelation this week.

Do Labour want to tarnish Jarvis with a potential defeat by throwing him in the deep end already? It's going to be one hell of a task for Labour to win a strong majority at the next election but 5 years of steady rebuilding could set then up for a slam dunk in 2025 with Jarvis as a strong united leader without the stench of failure.

The worry of course is with the current shambles they could capitulate again again come 2020 and leave him with an insurmountable task.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I think I might like to go into politics one day. Then I realise that eventually some journalist is going to dig up my GAF account and find all the jokes I made about Prince Harry obviously not being Prince Charles' son and so on. Or they'll find that picture of me on Facebook when I was 17 passed out with a bra on my head and a Hitler moustache drawn on in mascara.

I can't imagine how anyone in my generation will ever have a clean enough past to be a politician. I kind of think Chukka had the same revelation this week.

Are you telling me that people would frown upon my waifu obsession? D:

I don't actually have a waifu obsession.

Mr Git

Lol. I had this exact line of thinking the other day. There's definitely some horrendous photos of me fear and loathing around. Never harmed Osbourne though!

Lol. I had this exact line of thinking the other day. There's definitely some horrendous photos of me fear and loathing around. Never harmed Osbourne though!

Over time it will gradually be accepted as the norm and eventually it won't be a big deal. It will be a long and dirty road to get there though.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Activists are desperate at this point, they've even been in last ditch talks to try and persuade Keir Starmer to stand and he's been in Parliament all of a week.

Starmer is slippery as hell, but not good at covering his tracks. His article on the Human Rights Act in the Guardian on Wednesday has a great gaping logic hole between paragraphs 7 and 8. Now he either believes that line of logic, which means he is deluded; or he doesn't, which makes him duplicitous. Not a great start in my book.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Starmer is slippery as hell, but not good at covering his tracks. His article on the Human Rights Act in the Guardian on Wednesday has a great gaping logic hole between paragraphs 7 and 8. Now he either believes that line of logic, which means he is deluded; or he doesn't, which makes him duplicitous. Not a great start in my book.

I'm sorry, I don't see the problem? The gist of his argument is:

1. The HRA doesn't force us to listen to European courts.
2. What does force us to listen to European courts is the ECHR.
3. Therefore, to get out of the European court system, we'd have to exit the ECHR, not just repeal the HRA.

Which of those is wrong?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'm sorry, I don't see the problem? The gist of his argument is:

2. What does force us to listen to European courts is the ECHR.
3. Therefore, to get out of the European court system, we'd have to exit the ECHR, not just repeal the HRA.

Which of those is wrong?

Let me fill in the detail ...

Actually yes it does. Section 2(1) says that a court MUST take into account ANY judgment of the ECHR, whenever made or given, that is relevant to the proceedings.

2. What does force us to listen to European courts is the ECHR Treaty.

I assume that by ECHR here you mean the Treaty (that's what Starmer means)? Proceeding on that basis ...

Actually no it doesn't. To quote Starmer "Article 46 states that: “The High Contracting Parties undertake to abide by the final judgment of the Court in any case to which they are parties

That is a completely different thing. That just says that if the UK is a party to a case before the ECHR then it must abide by the court's decision. Which is kind of obvious. It has nothing to do with what section 2 of the HRA says, which is to do with taking account of relevant ECHR rulings in completely unrelated cases. Such as cases against Germany, or Belgium, or the European Commission.

So, for example, if the ECHR rules in a German case that, say, an accused person has the right to be present at their own trial then the HRA says, but the Treaty does not say, that that will also apply in the UK.

3. Therefore, to get out of the European court system, we'd have to exit the ECHR Treaty, not just repeal the HRA.

So this conclusion does not follow, because he is talking about two different and mostly unrelated things.

Now, Starmer is supposed to be a lawyer - he is a QC dammit. And this is an elementary mistake to make, if it is a mistake that is.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I did mean the Treaty, yes - was abbreviating. Unfortunately, not being a lawyer I don't know enough to comment. All I can say is that I have heard from other people outside Starmer and from different political alignments that it is the European Convention on Human Rights is what means European courts have influence on us, and that the HRA is merely an addendum. I'll ask them to have a brief look at your post and get an explanation.

I do know that prior to the HRA, European courts were still the ultimate arbiters, you just had to take your case to Strasbourg rather than being able to use the British courts as an intermediary.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I did mean the Treaty, yes - was abbreviating. Unfortunately, not being a lawyer I don't know enough to comment. All I can say is that I have heard from other people outside Starmer and from different political alignments that it is the European Convention on Human Rights is what means European courts have influence on us, and that the HRA is merely an addendum. I'll ask them to have a brief look at your post and get an explanation.

I do know that prior to the HRA, European courts were still the ultimate arbiters, you just had to take your case to Strasbourg rather than being able to use the British courts as an intermediary.

I think the problem is that rather loose wording (which corresponds to a rather loose common understanding) that I've bolded. The Treaty gives the ECHR binding power over the UK in cases to which the UK is a party. The HRA gives the UK courts the power to take rulings from the ECHR without having to bring a separate case before them. They are tackling the problem from different ends, with the net result that (a) justice is swifter and cheaper and (b) that the ECHR doesn't get clogged up with duplicate cases.

Oh, sorry for misunderstandin your abbreviation. I tend to read ECHR as meaning the Court, rather than the Convention.

kmag

Do Labour want to tarnish Jarvis with a potential defeat by throwing him in the deep end already? It's going to be one hell of a task for Labour to win a strong majority at the next election but 5 years of steady rebuilding could set then up for a slam dunk in 2025 with Jarvis as a strong united leader without the stench of failure.

The worry of course is with the current shambles they could capitulate again again come 2020 and leave him with an insurmountable task.

I actually believe Jarvis when he says he doesn't want the job for family reasons. His 1st wife died in 2010 and although he's recently remarried he's just had another child this year. He's got 3 young children, at 42 he's got plenty of time for front line politics when his children are older.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think the problem is that rather loose wording (which corresponds to a rather loose common understanding) that I've bolded. The Treaty gives the ECHR binding power over the UK in cases to which the UK is a party. The HRA gives the UK courts the power to take rulings from the ECHR without having to bring a separate case before them. They are tackling the problem from different ends, with the net result that (a) justice is swifter and cheaper and (b) that the ECHR doesn't get clogged up with duplicate cases.

Okay, but suppose a particular case happened under the ECHR to which the UK wasn't a party, before the HRA was implemented. Some similar case THEN happens in the UK (to which the UK is a party), and British courts rule opposite to what the ECHR did - as they are allowed to do pre-HRA. Even before the HRA, people had the ability to appeal to the ECHR however; and the ECHR itself does have to take into account the ruling it made on the first case, where the UK wasn't a party. So, in this case, where the UK is a party, it will rule the same as it did when the UK wasn't - over-ruling British courts, as it was allowed to do pre-HRA. Therefore, even prior to the HRA, the ECHR had de facto binding power over the UK, it was just a matter of people actually pursuing them to get that result. So, isn't Starmer's argument therefore still right - to get full independence from European courts, we'd have to withdraw from the European Convention?

On a side note, having the European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights makes this acronym business rather complicated.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Okay, but suppose a particular case happened under the ECHR to which the UK wasn't a party, before the HRA was implemented. Some similar case THEN happens in the UK (to which the UK is a party), and British courts rule opposite to what the ECHR did - as they are allowed to do pre-HRA. Even before the HRA, people had the ability to appeal to the ECHR however; and the ECHR itself does have to take into account the ruling it made on the first case, where the UK wasn't a party. So, in this case, where the UK is a party, it will rule the same as it did when the UK wasn't - over-ruling British courts, as it was allowed to do pre-HRA. Therefore, even prior to the HRA, the ECHR had de facto binding power over the UK, it was just a matter of people actually pursuing them to get that result.

Problem there is the word "just". We're talking several orders of magnitude delay and a lot of cost, so in practical terms it mostly wasn't defacto at all and it wasn't retrospective to other cases either. So while that case was going through the courts you'd have seven years or so of other affected people not getting justice.

Now, with the HRA, you can get a Convention right decision made even in a magistrates court pretty well on the spot. Most people would not have the time, energy, money or legal aid to take it to Strasbourg.

So, isn't Starmer's argument therefore still right - to get full independence from European courts, we'd have to withdraw from the European Convention?

Well, that takes us back to para 3 of Starmers article, which is also at least disingenuous. It is a strawman of the Conservative position which is, not just to repeal the HRA but to replace it with something else. I'm not aware of any proposal to get complete independence from the ECtHR or to withdraw from the ECvHR (which would also mean withdrawing from the EU).

If the aim were complete independence from the ECtHR then yes, you'd be right. But I don't believe it is.

And if that were the case then Starmer's conclusion would be right, but that doesn't make his argument stand up any the more. I have a deep distrust of bad arguments deployed in good causes, it makes me suspicious.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Problem there is the word "just". We're talking several orders of magnitude delay and a lot of cost, so in practical terms it mostly wasn't defacto at all and it wasn't retrospective to other cases either. So while that case was going through the courts you'd have seven years or so of other affected people not getting justice.

Now, with the HRA, you can get a Convention right decision made even in a magistrates court pretty well on the spot. Most people would not have the time, energy, money or legal aid to take it to Strasbourg.

Yes, I don't deny this. I'm just saying that the key point of the argument - full autonomy of European courts being only acheived by exiting the ECHR, not the HRA - is true, no?

Well, that takes us back to para 3 of Starmers article, which is also at least disingenuous. It is a strawman of the Conservative position which is, not just to repeal the HRA but to replace it with something else. I'm not aware of any proposal to get complete independence from the ECtHR or to withdraw from the ECvHR (which would also mean withdrawing from the EU).

If the aim were complete independence from the ECtHR then yes, you'd be right. But I don't believe it is.

And if that were the case then Starmer's conclusion would be right, but that doesn't make his argument stand up any the more. I have a deep distrust of bad arguments deployed in good causes, it makes me suspicious.

Okay, I agree he's simplifying it but I still don't see how that's wrong. If the Conservatives do want to replace the HRA with a BBoR... what on earth would be in it? If you don't withdraw from the ECHR, it can't contravene the ECHR or if it does it can be overturned by the ECHR after an arse-ache of a process. How would a BBoR actually be different from an HRA? It's not like the HRA is particularly prescriptive Also, I do actually think a fair amount of the Conservative talk about replacing the HRA *is* about not being subject to European courts at all, or at the very least giving British courts final say which is tantamount to not being subject to European courts at all. That's not to say they're for exiting the ECHR (because they don't realize that would be necessary), but they seem to think exiting the HRA has that effect - which it doesn't, which is what Starmer is arguing.

EDIT: I should have been a lawyer. :p

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Okay, I agree he's simplifying it but I still don't see how that's wrong. If the Conservatives do want to replace the HRA with a BBoR... what on earth would be in it?

Well, that's the zillion-dollar question isn't it!

Beats me. I think the HRA is a damn good Act and should stay the way it is. I think the Torys have made all sorts of unnecessary political bluster over it, have painted themselves into a corner over what it might mean, don't themselves really understand what they are supposed to be doing with it, that the BBoR - whatever it is - will look nearly exactly the same as the HRA and if it doesn't then the House of Lords will chuck it out. Useful like that, the House of Lords.

EDIT: I suspect what really happened was they cobbled this idea together to pacify their right wing, fully expecting that the Opposition and the Tory's Coalition partners would chuck it out in the Commons - then they accidentally got a majority and are stuck with it! I hope the idea dies a quiet death.

PJV3

Well, that's the zillion-dollar question isn't it!

Beats me. I think the HRA is a damn good Act and should stay the way it is. I think the Torys have made all sorts of unnecessary political bluster over it, have painted themselves into a corner over what it might mean, don't themselves really understand what they are supposed to be doing with it, that the BBoR - whatever it is - will look nearly exactly the same as the HRA and if it doesn't then the House of Lords will chuck it out. Useful like that, the House of Lords.

EDIT: I suspect what really happened was they cobbled this idea together to pacify their right wing, fully expecting that the Opposition and the Tory's Coalition partners would chuck it out in the Commons - then they accidentally got a majority and are stuck with it! I hope the idea dies a quiet death.

The Libdem's blocked any work being done by civil servants, at the moment it's a tory party document. This thing won't see the light of day til Cameron is gone.

I wonder if we will get back into a position where leaders can withstand a loss? I mean, Kinnock ran as leader twice. I feel like right now it's a combination of level of defeat and expectation management for leaders of Labour and Tories. If, like Steve McLaren, whoever is leader in 2020 basically states that their goal is to improve their position, could they stay on? But it seems like a hard political message to sell, that even your own leader's not expecting to win.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how legit this story is? A independent candidate in local election got no votes but obviously he, his family and friends must have voted for him. Claiming some sort of election fraud?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/i-know-voted-me-angry-5703584

It's probably a true story. In the grand scheme of things I'm not sure it's wildly important - he wasn't going to win and the Conservative candidate for that ward won by such a large amount that to change the result the fraud would have to have been on such a scale a lot more people would have noticed something. Obviously not good, but I'd be surprised if there weren't minor fuck-ups on this level around most of the country, particularly at council level.

DBT85

Even if only 10 people voted for him, that's 10 peoples votes that have gone missing. How many others for other candidates went missing but haven't been questioned because they still got other votes and nobody has noticed.

Does anyone know how legit this story is? A independent candidate in local election got no votes but obviously he, his family and friends must have voted for him. Claiming some sort of election fraud?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/i-know-voted-me-angry-5703584

Eh...if a mate of mine was running as an independent candidate, I'd probably say I'd vote for him but not actually do so.

It's a bit suspicious that he didn't get one vote from himself. Though I'm reminded of that Simpsons episode where Bart runs for class president and doesn't bother voting for himself.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Crosby did a good job with the campaign, though I do wonder how much of that was down to discipline and control rather than electoral brilliance (or maybe they are one and the same). Any competently run campaign should have triumphed over Labour if we are being honest.

However, I do find it slightly disturbing how much control Crosby had over the running of government. Ousting Gove, for example.

EDIT: Also that article reads like masturbatory fantasy. Crosby is very skilled, but suggesting things like the koala of the day as something amazing is ludicrous.

The key points are using social media data for 'direct mail' ads, polling methodologies and the general micro-targeting approach.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
And here is some commentary from the other perspective. Incredible that Miliband didn't seems to entertain the idea that he would not be prime minister at all. Did arrogance blind them?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/05/win-next-labour-leader-needs-master-fundamentals

It doesn't at all say that...

If anything it implies that they were being optimistic in the face of bad internal polls, which realistically is the only thing that they could do. This election was lost by Labour a long time ago. They never rehabilitated the party's economic record (which was falsely maligned and spurred on by the shameful use of the note by Cameron) and as good as he was in the campaign, Milliband simply did not have the correct image (not entirely his fault).

Nicktendo86

It doesn't at all say that...

If anything it implies that they were being optimistic in the face of bad internal polls, which realistically is the only thing that they could do. This election was lost by Labour a long time ago. They never rehabilitated the party's economic record (which was falsely maligned and spurred on by the shameful use of the note by Cameron) and as good as he was in the campaign, Milliband simply did not have the correct image (not entirely his fault).

It sounds like they gave up on being the largest party some time ago but it seems they were convinced they would be in a position to govern, I can't help but get the impression Miliband surrounded himself in a bubble of yes men who were caught completely off guard by the exit poll.

I still feel there will be so much to be written about this election, what a fascinating last few weeks.

Labour had relinquished hope of becoming the single largest party before election day – its private polls consistently showed it performing worse than those publicly available (just as the Tories’ showed them exceeding expectations). But it clung to the hope that it could enter power by virtue of Miliband being the only leader capable of commanding the confidence of the ­Commons. Three days before the election, Labour aides briefed me and other journalists on the finer details of the Cabinet Manual. One source spoke of how some in Labour had became “experts” in Ramsay MacDonald’s 1924 administration: the last time a second-placed party took office.

When the BBC’s exit poll was published at 10pm on 7 May, Miliband was at his constituency home in Doncaster with Bob Roberts, his director of communications, and Stewart Wood, his intellectual consigliere. He reacted with incredulity to its projection of 316 seats for the Tories and 239 for Labour, crying aloud that it must be wrong. Back at the party’s London HQ in Brewer’s Green, Charlie Falconer, who was overseeing preparations for government, sought to assuage distraught staffers with a rousing speech, assuring them that exit polls had been mistaken before. Labour’s spin operation was instructed to rubbish the numbers to journalists. “We are sceptical of the BBC poll. It looks wrong to us,” a text message read.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It even says in the part you quoted that they 'clung' to 'hope'. That sounds like desperation to me. You can't run an election campaign on resigned defeat (well the Lib Dems did but hey ho), it just doesn't make any sense. I don't know where you get the idea that Milliband surrounded himself with yes men when he's spent the last five years being sniped at internally.

Whatever you say about his public persona, he is far from an idiot. He's highly educated and intellectual and having grown up the son of a marxist intellectual I imagine he's used to dissenting opinions. Obviously that doesn't mean he's immune to arrogance, but I think most people would say that that is nowehere near a relevant characteristic of his.

Maledict

It even says in the part you quoted that they 'clung' to 'hope'. That sounds like desperation to me. You can't run an election campaign on resigned defeat (well the Lib Dems did but hey ho), it just doesn't make any sense. I don't know where you get the idea that Milliband surrounded himself with yes men when he's spent the last five years being sniped at internally.

Whatever you say about his public persona, he is far from an idiot. He's highly educated and intellectual and having grown up the son of a marxist intellectual I imagine he's used to dissenting opinions. Obviously that doesn't mean he's immune to arrogance, but I think most people would say that that is nowehere near a relevant characteristic of his.

Everything I have heard from the labour people I know says that Ed ran an incredibly closed shop. His unit was very much comprised of "yes people", and they were very separate from the rest of the party - and incredibly inexperienced at running a major political party.

Nicktendo86

Everything I have heard from the labour people I know says that Ed ran an incredibly closed shop. His unit was very much comprised of "yes people", and they were very separate from the rest of the party - and incredibly inexperienced at running a major political party.
This is what I have heard/read as well, admittedly just from outside press.

Mr. Sam

Why is this just coming out now? I suppose because Labour have already lost the election and don't see the point in keeping tight-lipped about the man who 'cost' them it?

It even says in the part you quoted that they 'clung' to 'hope'. That sounds like desperation to me. You can't run an election campaign on resigned defeat (well the Lib Dems did but hey ho),

I think this is unfair - the Lib Dems ran their campaign on the basis that they'd be a junior party in a coalition, which seemed reasonably realistic at the time. In a time when there are now more than two parties of any significance, I think it's only reasonable that most of these parties stop with the implication that they're ever going to have a parliamentary majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom