• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrestling |OT2| We watch it so you don't have to

I didn't vote for Donald.

It's cool if you did. Who could pass up an opportunity to see a WWE Hall of Famer become President of the United States?

anigif_enhanced-11385-1444782227-2.gif

Blue just wants to make WrassleGAF great again.

It's cool if you did. Who could pass up an opportunity to see a WWE Hall of Famer become President of the United States?

anigif_enhanced-11385-1444782227-2.gif

Blue just wants to make WrassleGAF great again.

Blue a brother tho, so him voting for Trump would make him even more insane then I thought.
As a kid, I always joked that he would be an interesting president. Boy, I fucked up on that prediction.

But I'm registered republican but I've never voted for any of the candidates. They're all horrible.

When The Rock runs, I'm throwing in all my chips on him though. No matter how horrible he'll be.

Is this the guy that Jinder Mahal talked about on Jericho's podcast and credits on Instagram for helping him transform his body?
http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Christopher_Cavallini_22249198/

Also on Nutrition Systems's site: Mojo Rawley, Michael Cole, and Rey Mysterio.

Yes and it's really interesting how they're all close to this guy, this is something one would think WWE would want talent to not publicly associate themselves with.

A wrasstlin' newz site covered this as well.

http://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/ji...teroids-or-clean-eating-and-intense-training/

klonere

Banned
I can't believe there are people arguing that Will Ospreay kicking out of a Burning Hammer to a chair somehow "makes sense in terms of the story."
`

My dude that feud made PROGRESS into the WWE feeder fed it is today, it was more than justified.

okay i'm curious to know the story of this match/feud to see how it's justified

You've got about 2 years worth of PROGRESS to catch up on in that case.

I made a huge effortpost about that feud a few months ago, let me try and find it.

ICW spoilers

NOAM DAR announced to return to ICW at Shugs Hoose Party night 1.

Dar & Share Samuels Vs Joe Coffey & Grading.

Kevin Nash announced as Fear & Loathing commissioner

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
okay i'm curious to know the story of this match/feud to see how it's justified

Wredditors justified it as "but its a long feud" meaning its obviously unjustified unless the object of the match is a "piss Randy Orton off" match.

`

My dude that feud made PROGRESS into the WWE feeder fed it is today, it was more than justified.

You've got about 2 years worth of PROGRESS to catch up on in that case.

I made a huge effortpost about that feud a few months ago, let me try and find it.

It's not justified no matter what it was or when it was. It's dangerous shit for the sake of dangerous shit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean you can keep being wrong if you want, that's perfectly fine

It's fine to like Cirque du Soliel wrestling too, I guess. It doesn't mean it makes any sense in the context of wrestling to do an especially flashy move that by rights should cause you to die and then you kick out.

I mean, wrestling is as much fiction as anything else, but people would complain if a character who got decapitated walked into the room after having his head cut off even though Game of Thrones is fake and has dragons and shit.

Angry Grimace

I love that this is the one that's pissing people off almost 2 years after it happened

Well we already did Richochet/Ospreay flipfest at the time, but nobody actually did a wrestling move during that entire sequence so the argument was slightly different.

It's not like I have a problem with someone doing that move. It should probably kill you, though.

Well we already did Richochet/Ospreay flipfest at the time, but nobody actually did a wrestling move during that entire sequence so the argument was slightly different.

It's not like I have a problem with someone doing that move. It should probably kill you, though.

We already did this argument when it happened and klonere posted the gif in WrassleGAF. It's fine, you realise the only reason you think the burning hammer is a death move is a Japanese dude most people complaining have never seen wrestle only did the move like 5 times

Remember when the argument was DDTs were killing the business?

Remember when the argument was Irish Whips were killing the business?

klonere

Banned
Actually, even if the bump is excessive in my GIF there is a very very good reason for this and the other gif I posted of the same match. This might end up being a bit long.

This is the blowoff match of the famous Jimmy Havoc vs Will Ospreay feud in PROGRESS. Havoc was a plucky underdog who was trying to shed his deathmatch roots and win using pure wrestling, which was how he was trained initially. Sadly, he just couldn't get that elusive win.

Jim Smallman, the promoter of PROGRESS asked Jimmy if he could deal with one of the London Riots tag team that were causing a lot of trouble being bad dudes. This meant a deathmatch - which Jimmy was trying to get away from. But Jimmy is a good dude and says sure Jim, I'll do it for the good of PROGRESS but promise me you'll give me a title match when I want one okay?

One really bloody and brutal deathmatch later, Havoc is faced with another loss. The crowd are thankful though, Jimmy put all on the line for the promotion. However, the loss breaks Jimmy. A few shows later he snaps, assaulting Smallman, cashing in his title shot after the current champion, Mark Andrews had just wrestled two consecutive matches. He destroys Andrews and aligns himself with aforementioned London Riots.

Will Ospreay was very much like Havoc - a young, plucky underdog who couldn't put it all together. Will faced a devastating loss as well, falling short in the Natural Progression tournament, which acted as a conduit for new talent to come into PROGRESS. Ospreay fought through the adversity, eventually earning a title match against Havoc. However due too scared to hit his 630 splash finisher and Havoc doing heel things (like deconstructing the entire ring in one match), Ospreay couldn't win.

Then, the gif'd match happened. It was deeply bitter and personal, Havoc bled, Ospreay took insane bumps, Robinson (curb stomp man) constantly interfered. However, in the end, Ospreay brought Havoc's 2 year reign to an end. An incredible moment, worthy of the dangers in the match and the story that was told.

What's even better is that we come to what's happening in PROGRESS now. After Havoc lost, he went away. For a long time. He returned at PROGRESS's biggest show ever in Brixton in front of 2,500 fans, as a face. He was on the road to redemption. He admitted his faults, his sins. Now, he is up against British Strong Style, who you may be familiar with.

Of course, he's just one man against three and he looked for help in the PROGRESS roster. Who better than Will Ospreay, arguably the most well known and successful wrestler in PROGRESS? Will had been struggling, on a massive losing streak since losing the title and going to Japan. He'd been showing frustration, even cheating in one match (does this sound familiar?).

At the end of a recent show, Havoc appealed to Ospreay to team up with him to take out British Strong Style. It seemed like the best possible pairing - two men that defined the promotion, that were inextricably tied to each other, fighting alongside each other. Alas, Ospreay turned on him, explaining that even if everyone else in PROGRESS had forgiven him, he hadn't. Havoc had tried to kill him, destroy his body, his livelihood, as evidenced by those gifs. Out comes Paul Robinson, Havoc's former goon and Ospreay's original tag partner as well as trainer. They both beat down Havoc.

None of this would have the impact without that match and those crazy bumps. This is a blood feud and Ospreay, while of course a total asshole, has the right to still hold a grudge against Jimmy and want to see him hurt. From a business standpoint, it (and other events of course) also marks the real upswing of the BritWres scene to where now multiple promotions are drawing thousands of people on the weekends on a monthly basis and the WWE want in on it.

So er yeah, there is a very good reason behind Ospreay bumping on his fucking neck for the business.

It's fine to like Cirque du Soliel wrestling too, I guess. It doesn't mean it makes any sense in the context of wrestling to do an especially flashy move that by rights should cause you to die and then you kick out.

Ah yes, Cirque du Soliel and deathmatch wrestling, definitely seeing the connection there. Also Jimmy Havoc is some noodle armed indie scum wrestler not Kenta fucking Kobashi.

We already did this argument when it happened and klonere posted the gif in WrassleGAF. It's fine, you realise the only reason you think the burning hammer is a death move is a Japanese dude most people complaining have never seen wrestle only did the move like 5 times

Remember when the argument was DDTs were killing the business?

Remember when the argument was Irish Whips were killing the business?

Dude it's a fucking neck compression onto a goddamn steel chair.... it'd be one thing if the guy giving it did it out of pure desperation and was so fucked up (maybe have him hit the chair too a bit or something) that he takes a good 15-30 seconds to go for the pin then you have a meaningful usage of that spot.. but an immediate cover and a immediate 2 count... fuck no.

Ospreay's the new Bryan in the sense that he'll be done a lot sooner than his fans think and it's entirely because he's dumb with spots

That gif is just going to be the new "Bryan and Nigel headbutt ringposts together because that's what friends do" moment everyone looks back on when the announcement's made and think "hmm, that probably did exactly as much long-term damage as it looked like it did"

Zach

• Ruby Slipper Cafe - brunch (they have this dish called Chicken St. Charles which is amazing) (you can make a reservation through Yelp)
  • Sylvain (book reservation prior)
  • Morning Call - awesome beignets (better than Cafe Du Monde imo)
  • Creole Creamery - ice cream

I heard from friends that Cafe Amelie and Lola (paella and grilled calamari) are supposed to be great too.
You're aaalllright, RBH.

Syder

Burning Hammer doesn't retain its godkilling properties just because a pencil-necked geek does it on a chair
Yeah, it's only a Burning Hammer if it's performed by Kobashi. Not only did no one ever kick out of it, as far as I know, they all sold it like fucking death afterwards.

If it's anyone else it's just an inverted Death Valley driver.

A piledriver should probably kill you.

A DDT should probably kill you.

A powerbomb should probably kill you.

A giant fat man jumping landing on your chest with his whole body should probably kill you.

Being lifted into the air and then getting dumped on your head (you know, like a brainbuster) should probably kill you.

A curb stomp should probably kill you.

Ban all this shit like your name was Bill Watts. Only grapplefucking in the pro graps from now on.

Heroman

Banned
Dude it's a fucking neck compression onto a goddamn steel chair.... it'd be one thing if the guy giving it did it out of pure desperation and was so fucked up (maybe have him hit the chair too a bit or something) that he takes a good 15-30 seconds to go for the pin then you have a meaningful usage of that spot.. but an immediate cover and a immediate 2 count... fuck no.
People do DDT every day on every type of surface and most of them people kick out. Like DDT is driving someone head it the mat.

People do DDT every day on every type of surface and most of them people kick out. Like DDT is driving someone head it the mat.

And say Cena kicking out of the DDT on the cement vs Barrett was stupid too... literally something people use to make fun of Cena for.

And a DDT has been neutralized far more than a Reverse DVD/Burning Hammer..

And say Cena kicking out of the DDT on the cement vs Barrett was stupid too... literally something people use to make fun of Cena for.

And a DDT has been neutralized far more than a Reverse DVD/Burning Hammer..

So, it's cool if everybody starts using the Burning Hammer because then it'll have been neutralized?

I mean, I can point you to any number of grimy indie matches where they use the Burning Hammer, if it'll make you feel better. Hell, Dan Maff used to use it regularly as his finisher.

So, it's cool if everybody starts using the Burning Hammer because then it'll have been neutralized?

I mean, I can point you to any number of grimy indie matches where they use the Burning Hammer, if it'll make you feel better. Hell, Dan Maff used to use it regularly as his finisher.

I'm fine with it as a finisher...

It also just flat out looks more devastating than a DDT... As it is both a head/face/neck move rather than mostly just a fast plant like a DDT...

I mean my problem is the exact opposite not it's not cool if everyone just starts using it... That's kinda my point... Especially because I'd like to avoid much further escalation because if a Burning Hammer becomes a regular move what dangerous stupid shit will have to become The Finisher

And I'm sure you could point me to it, indie wrestlers do a lot of dumb shit for no good reason and little reward.

I've already said a solid delay between move and pin would have gone a long way.

Top Bottom