• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayflash Wii U Pro Controller Adapter review - *GAMECHANGER* now with button swapping

WiiCC2USB

Neo Member
Yeah, I couldn't find any clear answer. It seems everyone is focused on bluetooth. I don't see why it shouldn't since the ds3 works automatically on mac.

I didn't even bother with setting up the software from the installation disc. Just plugged it in and sync'd it and it works. Same thing with the old wireless model for the flat and Pro CC's.

Thrakier

So this is wrongly mapped if I get it right? The Xbox "A" is the WiiU "A" which leads to a different button setup? That makes the whole adapter completly uninteresting imio.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So this is wrongly mapped if I get it right? The Xbox "A" is the WiiU "A" which leads to a different button setup? That makes the whole adapter completly uninteresting imio.

For XInput the buttons are matched up for each controller, so yes. DirectInput lets you customize it.

I don't know if it's a good thing or not that it's reversed like that, it depends on the game. The buttons are the same proximity from the analog stick so you're not reaching any further to hit A on the Pro Controller as you are on the 360 controller, but for some games that could be annoying. Particularly if you are used to the 360 layout.

Fou-Lu

I got one a couple days ago, loving it. Works perfectly and now I can use one of the best controllers I've ever owned for PC games.

Thrakier

For XInput the buttons are matched up for each controller, so yes. DirectInput lets you customize it.

I don't know if it's a good thing or not that it's reversed like that, it depends on the game. The buttons are the same proximity from the analog stick so you're not reaching any further to hit A on the Pro Controller as you are on the 360 controller, but for some games that could be annoying. Particularly if you are used to the 360 layout.

Hm, I don't know. Sounds weird. A normally is the "main action button" and you are used to pressing it on PS3 as X also for all "main actions". If it's on the side now, that probably would feel weird.

I guess I'll just wait for the new nextgen controllers then and have a look how those are working on PC.

Got this today and I'm pretty happy with my purchase.
Love the feel of the Wii U pro controller, so being able to use it for PC is amazing.
Used it for Defiance via Xinput, and the buttons map accurately :D (so no pressing A when it says B), and you get some nice rumble.

Had to fiddle around a bit with Dinput for PS2, but it feels good there too.

L~A

Ok, got my adapter today through a third-party seller on Amazon.fr (but shipped by Amazon.fr, so that means 24h delivery for free, oh yiiiss). I've been wanting one ever since I learned you could use a Pro Controller on a PC. I did try the Toshiba stack method, but it never worked (instal is supposed to fail at one point... but it doesn't :p).

So, I read the various posts in the various thread about this adapter, but is there something in particular I should know about it (like : don't set it up on a Wednesday the 13th at midnight or the controller will come alive and eat your soul or something)?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
(like : don't set it up on a Wednesday the 13th at midnight or the controller will come alive and eat your soul or something)?

Hey, that's a feature.

But as far as I remember you can just plug it in and go. I don't think I installed anything for it.

Thrakier

Got this today and I'm pretty happy with my purchase.
Love the feel of the Wii U pro controller, so being able to use it for PC is amazing.
Used it for Defiance via Xinput, and the buttons map accurately :D (so no pressing A when it says B), and you get some nice rumble.

Had to fiddle around a bit with Dinput for PS2, but it feels good there too.

Actually, the Position is switched, so A SHOULD be X and so on. But they are matching names, which sucks, becuase Position is more important imo. :)

Bought one a while ago, as plug and play as you can get. I didn't even touch the mini cd that was with it (Windows7). No special problems either for delivery or performance. All in all much better than buying a brand new x360 wireless pad (granted you already have a wii u pro of course)

Edit : I live in Western Europe.

Tripon

Sorry for the bump....

Anymore reviews from Neogaf users here? I am thinking of buying one soon.

I bought one from Ebay the other day that was $22.95, and with free shipping from Hong Kong. Promised a 10-20 day delivery. So uh, I'll give a review in 30 days. =P

Hm, I don't know. Sounds weird. A normally is the "main action button" and you are used to pressing it on PS3 as X also for all "main actions". If it's on the side now, that probably would feel weird.

I guess I'll just wait for the new nextgen controllers then and have a look how those are working on PC.

But because of the position difference between the X-Box and Wii U Pro controllers, your thumb naturally rests on the A button in both cases.

Exile20

I bought one from Ebay the other day that was $22.95, and with free shipping from Hong Kong. Promised a 10-20 day delivery. So uh, I'll give a review in 30 days. =P

Ye I am going to pick one up. Shipping time is a bitch but oh well.

deleted

After I had positive experiences (aside from the order itself - play-asia send it really late and it got intercepted from our 'Zoll', so I had to get it there myself) with the Mayflash SNES to PC and Wii CC to PC adapters I'll give this one a chance. Ordered from amazon, should arrive tomorrow.

deleted

Arrived Saturday - fantastic device! Plug and Play, the Xinput or Direct switch makes it universally useful, syncing is fast and I experienced no input lag.

While playing Street Fighter IV with it, I noticed that the device registered four controllers at once, even if only one is connected. That could be a problem with games that only register 4 controlers and you want to use a mixture of Wii U Pro and 360/Ps3 controlers.

I played Arkham City for a few hours with the Wii U Pro Controller and once you've adjusted to the different button alignment it feels better than the 360 controller. Digital Shoulder pads are worse for racing games, but for most (every?) other genre except some gamecube games I like digital shoulder pads better.

Tripon

Just got mine today. It really is plug and play, and I was able to get Garou running in Mame no problem. If you have a Wii U controller, and want to play, I'd spend the money for the convenience.

Exile20

I just got mine from Amazon. This shit is awesome as hell. Works exactly like an x360 controller and the flexibility to be mapped to keyboard keys.

Rumble even works. Mayflash did an awesome job.

Oh so good.

WolvenOne

Huh, well it'll be nice to have more options when I'm finally ready to replace the 360 controller I use on myPC. Granted, the DS4 is still the likely rereplacement, since I expect PC support to become really good soon.

Still, I'll probably have one of these for my Wii U soon, so, I won't rule it out.

Exile20

Huh, well it'll be nice to have more options when I'm finally ready to replace the 360 controller I use on myPC. Granted, the DS4 is still the likely rereplacement, since I expect PC support to become really good soon.

Still, I'll probably have one of these for my Wii U soon, so, I won't rule it out.

I was playing NFS: Rivals and it plays perfectly. Enjoying it immensely. The home button, start and back buttons work too.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
My Pro pad decided to stop syncing with my bluetooth and I can't go back to using the 360 pad for a lot of games. Rather than figuring out why it doesn't work I'm considering finally buying one of these. But:

1. Is there any chance they'll fix the problems with buttons while emulating a 360 pad?
2. What's the best place to buy one of them?

Baleoce

I bought one of these. Installed it, and it pairs just fine. But there's an issue with the left analogue stick. When I look at it in the calibration settings it's all the way to the right. I can reset its position, but it doesn't seem to move on the horizontal axis, just vertical. This is in both DInput and XInput modes. Really odd :/ I hope the controller isn't bust.

EDIT - Fuck... it is the controller. Just tried it on the Wii U and it does the same. Lesson learned, don't buy from Hong Kong for 10 quid cheaper.. It's official though, so I guess I'm in luck. I'll send it to them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There are fake WiiU Pro controllers out there that look pretty darn close to the official ones, so be wary of that.

Tons of results on Google about that too.

Baleoce

There are fake WiiU Pro controllers out there that look pretty darn close to the official ones, so be wary of that.

Tons of results on Google about that too.

Oh wow.. I've been Niniendo'd.

This is a link to someone who fell into the same trap. http://jcmeditorials.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/bootleg-wii-u-pro-controllers-that-will.html

Guy had 9500~ positive ratings with a 99.5% approval rating. Also the pictured items and description consistently refers to Nintendo and never Niniendo. And it even shows the official seal. Hell, the box I've received from them has the official seal..

Cody_D165

Banned
Really considering ordering one of these adapters with an Amazon gift card I got over the holidays. I need a better PC controller.

I just got mine, but it doesn't work.

I installed the drivers first (Windows 8.1 64-bit), then plugged it in. It popped up a Windows prompt like it was installing more drivers, which finished and it went away.

The adapter blinks constantly but pushing the Sync button my Wii U Pro Controller and the adapter don't sync them up. If I switch it to DInput, it blinks for a moment and then goes blank, and pushing Sync does nothing, no lights or anything.

Anyone else run into this? I really want to use my Wii U Pro Controller for FFXIV instead of the 360 one.

EDIT: Figured it out. Now it's working great, albeit with the buttons in different spots than a 360 controller because it literally places them by the name of the button rather than position. But that's just a simple switch of the buttons in my game and all is well.

Has anyone tried the adaptor on the Ps3 yet? Mayflash's website updated showing it will work on PS3,

So i tried my one of these on the Ps3 and it certainly recognised a controller..but all the buttons were wrong
Ps3 's X button was X button on the wiiu pro controller
Ps3 's O button was B button on the wiiu pro controller
Triangle was A
Square was Y
analogue sticks and triggers worked.....
Start button was clicking the right analogue stick.......

are they sure it is supported? it would be a nice bonus use for my Wiiu Pro controller (WiiU, Ps3 and PS3) but thats down right useless

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone tried the adaptor on the Ps3 yet? Mayflash's website updated showing it will work on PS3,

So i tried my one of these on the Ps3 and it certainly recognised a controller..but all the buttons were wrong
Triangle was A
Square was Y

are they sure it is supported? it would be a nice bonus use for my Wiiu Pro controller (WiiU, Ps3 and PS3) but thats down right useless

OP said there was a firmware update that fixed it, but I have no idea where to get the firmware (all I see on their site is a driver) or how to update it.

Triangle was A
Square was Y

Email sales@mayflash.com
Be aware, the way they do their Firmware update process, you'll most likely have to update it 2 or 3 times, since 1.1 can only update to 1.2, and not to 1.3. And to make things weirder, the base FW is 0x00, and the up to date one is like 0x03.
While it has the ability to be updated, it doesn't seem like they thought it through TOO much, but if you email them they'll get with you and make sure you get it sorted out.

Exile20

For Mac users: take advantage of that built in Bluetooth. Here's a program to connect the Wii U Pro controller (and Wii Remote / Classic Controller / etc.): https://code.google.com/p/wjoy/

I tried that toshiba bluetooth stack hack and what a freaking pain it was. Opening multiple programs just to get it to bearly work. It was only in Dinput which meant that all inputs were mapped to everything except what you wanted and in some games like NFS Rivals, I couldn't turn left and TR, I couldn't use the second analog etc. So many issues man. I bought this and it was working perfectly within seconds.

Cody_D165

Banned
Just got this adapter in the mail today.

Install drivers, plug, sync, play.

Worked immediately. Totally worth the price. The button-swap actually doesn't bother me much for most games since I am more familiar with the Nintendo layout than the 360 layout. If it does get annoying I just swap the buttons in-game or switch over to DirectInput mode.

Power button turns off the controller when you're done and pressing any button will reconnect the controller to the adapter just like you would connect it to the Wii U. Rumble even works in most games.

Totally recommend it!

Link83

OP said there was a firmware update that fixed it, but I have no idea where to get the firmware (all I see on their site is a driver) or how to update it.
Email sales@mayflash.com
Be aware, the way they do their Firmware update process, you'll most likely have to update it 2 or 3 times, since 1.1 can only update to 1.2, and not to 1.3. And to make things weirder, the base FW is 0x00, and the up to date one is like 0x03.
While it has the ability to be updated, it doesn't seem like they thought it through TOO much, but if you email them they'll get with you and make sure you get it sorted out.
I emailed Mayflash about the firmware update for PS3 support and received the following reply:-
Mayflash said:
Hi

Attached please find the updated firmware which we done at the end of Dec .,2013. It cancelled HOME button at XINPUT MODE.
Frankly speaking, W009 is focusing on PC function,PS3 is second.

Please press SYNC button to start update.

Kindly reminder here, You can not go back to factory default once you updated.

Best regards,
Mayflash Limited

However I dont know if removing the HOME button in XINPUT MODE is an improvement or not?
Also a little worrying that they say you can't go back to the factory default firmware once updated, since I had assumed it would just be a matter of reflashing with the earlier firmware.

For anyone interested in trying the update I uploaded it to my dropbox here (Not my fault if it messes up your adapter/PC etc!):-
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38801046/Files/W009 updates.rar

To apply the update you need to press the SYNC button on the adapter whilst inserting the USB plug into your PC - this will enable 'Update Mode'. Then run the "W009 updates.exe" program and it will recognise the adapter and allow you to update.

kaioshade

I hope eventually there will be a firmware to swap the buttons to the 360 orientation, i understand why they made that decision, but it is driving me insane as muscle memory takes over.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The lack of analog triggers is a massive minus that isn't even mentioned in the OP.

Makes the thing pretty much useless for any racing games.

Baleoce

The lack of analog triggers is a massive minus that isn't even mentioned in the OP.

Makes the thing pretty much useless for any racing games.

errr, this is a review of the Mayflash Adapter, not the Wii U Pro Controller itself.

I hope eventually there will be a firmware to swap the buttons to the 360 orientation, i understand why they made that decision, but it is driving me insane as muscle memory takes over.
Yeah I want to buy one of these but I keep holding back as I hate the literal xinput button placements. If they ever add an option to change it (like the PS3 firmware update) I'll definitely be buying one. Will stick with motioninjoy in the mean time.

Got this last December and I have to report that it works perfectly. I'm not too bothered by the button placement with the 360 since I haven't really played with the 360. I personally give it recommendation.

Odrion

Banned
I'm tempted to buy, but is there still the issue of the buttons inputs being swapped around? (ie A=A and not B=A?)

Cody_D165

Banned
I'm tempted to buy, but is there still the issue of the buttons inputs being swapped around? (ie A=A and not B=A?)

In Xinput mode, yes.

If you use the adapter in Dinput mode it will function as a generic USB gamepad, meaning you can use it with any games that support DirectInput controllers, or use X360CE to have the buttons function in the way you are looking for with Xinput games.

sfried

Why is this such a big issue? Are that many people too accustomed to the 360 controller that they can't adjust?

TokiDoki

Yes they really are awesome , had one of their 360pad to Ps3 adapter for like what , $15 only and it had the least , or unnoticeable input lag .

Top Bottom