• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayonnaise or Mustard?

Your favorite condiments ?

• Mayonnaise

Votes: 51 49.5%
  • Mustard

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • Hot Sauce

Votes: 38 36.9%
  • Horseradish

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Miracle Whip

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Aioli

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Ketchup

Votes: 46 44.7%
  • Dijon

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Ranch

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Soy Sauce

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • BBQ Sauce

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Balsamic Vinegar

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Marmite

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Sriracha

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • HP Steak Sauce

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Durkee's Famous Sauce

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Halal Guys' White / Red Sauce

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • McDonald's Secret Sauce

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Salsa

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • Wasabi

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Fish Sauce

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Harissa

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

Raven117

The existence of aoli is what makes it a tough choice. Mayo and mustard are both very versatile. They even go together!

The only version of ketchup that is good is either homemade or the "no sugar added" versions you can sometimes find in stores.
Time and a place for all of the above if you ask me

Industrial mayonnaise tastes NOTHING like real homemade mayonnaise. Can't understand why people keep buying so much of it when making it doesn't require much skill and takes about 2 minutes.

Vestal

Gold Member
Mayo+Ketchup = MayoKetchup aka GodTier Condiment.

Use it with some tostones, breaded chicken, sorullitos de maíz, mofongo. Sooo good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I used to get some mayo on sub sandwiches long time, but then switched to mustard. I prefer standard dijon. No honey dijon or the seeded kind.

Never been a fan of mayo. I just use other sauces. I've never bought a jar of mayo ever.

If you want a cheap sauce thats sweet and hot, mix some plum sauce with hot sauce. Not too much plum sauce or else it overrides the heat as it's thick. Do like 70 hot/30 plum ratio. Great for dipping chicken nuggets.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If I only have the choice between those two, then mustard, because it has some use, whereas mayonnaise is completely unacceptable. Chili sauces (esp. Sambal Olek) are way better though.

HoodWinked

I never really liked mayo it felt like some out of place concoction. I would always scrape it off the McDonald's chicken sandwich.

But now I think it has its uses. Weirdly the turn came from a very unlikely place, Sushi. Basically those crazy Sushi rolls alot of them are topped with siracha mayo. Anyways I think a switch was activated cause now mayo is pretty good in sandwiches.

Though most mayo is garbage oils like soybean or canola. And a small bottle of avacado mayo is like quadruple the price. Whereas even cheap mustard is made of clean ingredients.

GymWolf

Mayo and tomato on hotdogs and chips, soy sauce on sushi.

I'm really not a sauce guy in general...

Almost forgot, Olives patè on simple bread.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Had blueberry mustard for the first time this weekend. Absolutely fantastic.

One fact about mayonnaise that I remember from a college e-marketing class is that brand loyalty for mayonnaise is higher than for any other consumer product - something like 97 or 98 percent.
In other words - if you like one brand you most likely won't be switching any time soon.
I'm a Hellmann's man, myself.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Had blueberry mustard for the first time this weekend. Absolutely fantastic.
If you liked that, then you might love this. On a hot dog with some finely chopped onions, a touch of relish, regular mustard and then you add a touch of this Bone Suckin’ Mustard? It’s great. The little twist or tang that this sauce has is really good. Idk how they did it but the spice profile must be have been perfected or something

N6LWAbe.jpg

Paasei

Mayonaise is a sauce, not a spread. Eat it with fries.
Anyway, as a spread I'd take Marmite over almost anything. It'll be hard competing with peanut butter, though.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
BBQ Sauce is my fav. I can't resist it's just tasty.

Alx

Mayonnaise for seafood, boiled eggs or fries, mustard for meat and sausages, fish sauce (nuoc mam) on rice for Asian meals, and soy sauce to dip sushi and other variations.
Mayonnaise and mustard have become more optional for me lately, as I prefer enjoying the raw taste of the food.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
No joke, I mix mayo, mustard, and ketchup together to make a great condiment of Mustupayo. Tiny bit of Mustard, more Mayo and Ketchup.

I prefer Mayo as a condiment. It's so much more diverse, because it mixes with everything. Mayo and ketchup? Check. Mayo and hot sauce? Check. Mayo and mustard? Check. Mayo and whatever the fuck I want? Check. On fries though? I guess I prefer ketchup over regular mayo, though any souped-up kind of mayo would make the race here too. Delicious garlic mayo with chopped olives and freshly ground black pepper and a squirt of zesty fresh lemon? Yes please.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Honestly, there is nothing like a well made BBQ sauce.

I make my own barbecue sauce out of brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, and a little ghost pepper powder which I got off Amazon. Mustard has no place in a BBQ sauce.

V4rp4f2.gif

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Homemade tartar sauce. There is nothing coming close to it.
Second place would go to black currant jam which goes really well with fries or cheese (especially something like Camembert).

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Homemade tartar sauce. There is nothing coming close to it.
Agreed.

I've got a fancy one when you actually build the sauce as a mayonnaise, but rarely make it because it's a FREAKING PAIN IN THE ASS, but the following is a good, basic recipe:

-Mayonnaise
-Rough chopped dill pickle or dill relish or capers
-A little fresh rough chopped onion
-Fresh parsley
-Salt
-Pepper
-Lemon juice from a LEMON, not that little yellow plastic hand grenade, or ReaLemon, which is two lies for the price of one.

Give it all a whirl in a food processor, taste and adjust, and add a little sugar. You don't have to make it sickening sweet like commercial tartar, but a little sugar reduces the acidity of the pickles and lemon and helps bring out the other flavors as well.

Adding a little mustard will also add tangy depth and color to any tartar sauce.

Top Bottom