• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MC of Nintendo 3DS Euro event claims surprises, fans speculate maybe Metroid 3DS

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
If a Metroid game is announced on Wednesday, the only team who could be behind it are NST.

I don't know how many of the MP:Hunters team are left, most moved onto Project Hammer but then left when they were forced to do Wii Crush (Microsoft had some mighty attractive contracts for them). Now they've recently done the thirty-second sequel to Mario vs. DK. Don't know what their other title is, but it was not a Metroid game the last time I heard of it.

I'm betting that this is just a case of a celebrity who doesn't follow gaming news saying something inadvertently misleading, and not one of said celebrity inadvertently leaking a surprise announcement.

But either way, we have less than two days before we find out.

Boney

Banned
Billychu said:
The Wii isn't a very healthy platform, at least compared to the 3DS.
So they should let it rot? Gee that's gonna be great advertising for their next system. (Cue in GC pic)

Father_Brain said:
I'm betting that this is just a case of a celebrity who doesn't follow gaming news saying something inadvertently misleading, and not one of said celebrity inadvertently leaking a surprise announcement.

But either way, we have less than two days before we find out.
He is a huge gamer though.

Lard

Banned
Unexpected revivals?

3D Donkey Kong where barrels roll out of the screen at you, confirmed!

Originally Posted by Billychu:

Well if they'd stop canceling every other third party game, it would have a bloody lineup this year.

Boney said:
It's cool man. Sakamoto ruined the character of Samus, so he isn't allow to make a Metroid game again. Because you see, we didn't play them for the gameplay, but the characters.
Even though you are being sarcastic, I support this statement. I think at this point, the core Metroid team can work without him. He just needs to get more Metroid games produced and provide some advice. He needs to pass the torch, badly. He needs to find his version of Aonuma.
EatChildren said:
Is this one of those situations where a vague statement is misinterpreted and GAF goes mental and expects something that will never come?
Something about a carnival?

MYE

Billychu said:

1) 3DS isnt out yet.

2) One doesnt replace the other. Ignoring the home console scene is a pretty stupid thing to do, especially after...

3) The Wii sold a fuckton of hardware and software just last month!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Father_Brain said:

To be fair, Jonathan Ross is a super nerd and a massive Nintendo geek.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Please, NO Metroid Prime Hunters sequel. 2D or nothing.

Also, completely unrelated, but I want the Donkey Kong '94 franchise reborn.

Boney

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
Even though you are being sarcastic, I support this statement. I think at this point, the core Metroid team can work without him. He just needs to get more Metroid games produced and provide some advice.
At this point what? He made 1 Metroid game with mixed reviews and fan acceptance. Where does it point out he and his team can't make Super or Zero Mision again? Especially since Dread was a project at some point.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Shiggy said:
I don't know how many of the MP:Hunters team are left, most moved onto Project Hammer but then left when they were forced to do Wii Crush (Microsoft had some mighty attractive contracts for them). Now they've recently done the thirty-second sequel to Mario vs. DK. Don't know what their other title is, but it was not a Metroid game the last time I heard of it.

What happened to Wii Crush?

Edit: Seems it and Cosmic Walker were cancelled a while ago. :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Does MOM ruin/hurt the franchise? I think that it is natural for a game that disproportionately emphasizes character and story relative to previous installments of the series is disproportionately judged based on its treatment of character and story relative to previous installments of the series. It's kind of live by the sword, die by the sword sort of situation.

RE: Does Jonathan Ross have geek cred? Yes he does. This isn't someone on Letterman saying they're a video game geek because they play an hour of Call of Duty a week or some celebrity with a novelty video game tattoo, he's legitimately an avid fan of gaming.

Boney said:
At this point what? He made 1 Metroid game with mixed reviews and fan acceptance. Where does it point out he and his team can't make Super or Zero Mision again? Especially since Dread was a project at some point.
I didn't say his entire team, just him. :p I appreciate what he tried to do with Other M, but I don't think he has it in him to properly learn from his mistakes.

This wasn't so much a rumour as speculation... someone speculating as to the meaning of Jonathan Ross' tweets. In the other thread we were already discussing that he may have been alluding to people being pleased because of 'surprises' rather than Metroid... and it seems that's what it was. It seems to be a case of move along, nothing to see here.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
radioheadrule83 said:
This wasn't so much a rumour as speculation... someone speculating as to the meaning of Jonathan Ross' tweets. In the other thread we were already discussing that he may have been alluding to people being pleased because of 'surprises' rather than Metroid... and it seems that's what it was. It seems to be a case of move along, nothing to see here.

Fixed the title, you're quite right.

Skiesofwonder

I'm sorry but if you're a HUGE fan like Johnathan Ross is of Nintendo the when someone says "It's absolutely fine, I don't expect you to spill anything, it's nice to have a surprise. I'm crossing my fingers for metroid..." and he responds "I think you're going to be pleased then..." then obviously he knows (just like me and you would know) what he is referring to.

The dot dot dot says it all to me that he responding back to the Metroid part. And the later response just seems like someone playing dumb.

Boney

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
I didn't say his entire team, just him. :p I appreciate what he tried to do with Other M, but I don't think he has it in him to properly learn from his mistakes.
You seem to hang out with the guy on a daily basis it seems!

(laughs)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
brandonh83 said:
METROID DR3DS

Fixed.

yH8IR.png

Metroid Prime pinball 3DS.............for 3DS ware , perfect title for that.

I would welcome a remake of metroid 2 , i never beat it on gameboy :(

Shiggy

Skiesofwonder said:
What happened to Wii Crush?

Edit: Seems it and Cosmic Walker were cancelled a while ago. :(

Canned when they noticed it was shit and that too many guys had left to produce a Wii game.

Skiesofwonder said:
Maybe N-Space is developing it
PLEASE NO!

They haven't worked together with Nintendo since Sphear, which was canned in 2007.

Jonathan would be in huge trouble if he revealed anything right now ;)

dankir

EatChildren said:
The saddest part is that in some areas, specifically programmable shaders, the 3DS outclasses the Wii quite easily.

Well for me that's fine. I didn't like Other M very much. So a new 2D Metroid is A-fucking-okay in my book.

Amir0x

Banned
Would be nice if it came out within the launch window. I need more than my currently zero games to purchase if it comes out @ $300 :/

Boney

Banned
I mean there's always the chance that the team retook Dread after Other M mixed results. I can dream right?

Skiesofwonder

Shiggy said:
Canned when they noticed it was shit and that too many guys had left to produce a Wii game.

They haven't worked together with Nintendo since Sphear, which was canned in 2007.

Jonathan would be in huge trouble if he revealed anything right now ;)

haha ah ok gotcha ;)

WTF why we winking.... something is going on people! maybe...

Amir0x

Banned
Boney said:
I mean there's always the chance that the team retook Dread after Other M mixed results. I can dream right?

hey if you're going to dream you might as well dream big

Hey it's not to bad to maybe hope for PIKMIN 3DS? I mean it's the third game in the series, right? So the 3DS name fits well. And plus I mean they were apparently working on it, sort of, but i mean it has evaporated into thin air. So maybe they shifted resources to 3DS Pikmin?

That'd be a nice launch window-esque game. Pikmin 1 was a launch window type game for GCN.

MYE said:
You're not that familliar with the "multi-pillar" business practice are you?

Not exploiting their home console to mainly focus on their new portable system makes no fucking sense. One doesnt replace the other.

They aren't replacing their home system with handhelds ones.
They're giving the 3DS the hype and attention it deserves.

He was obviously responding to the "it's nice to have a surprise" part when he said the twitterer would be pleased. I'm betting what he's considering the surprise franchise revival to be is Kid Icarus. I mean, why would Metroid be a "revival"? They just got a Metroid game just this last summer, just a couple years after an earlier one, with a collection in the middle. The series definitely isn't in need of any reviving.

Sadist said:
It's going to be Metroid 2 in 3D on VC.

Speculation!

Actuallly, that seems like a pretty good guess (the VC, not the 3D part)

We'll probably see the 3DS VC launch lineup. Metroid 2 seems like a good candidate for a launch title.

Dreamwriter said:
He was obviously responding to the "it's nice to have a surprise" part when he said the twitterer would be pleased. I'm betting what he's considering the surprise franchise revival to be is Kid Icarus. I mean, why would Metroid be a "revival"? They just got a Metroid game just this last summer, just a couple years after an earlier one, with a collection in the middle. The series definitely isn't in need of any reviving.

Kid Icarus isn't a surprise, though, and he knows that.

HYDE

Banned
Plinko said:
Please, NO Metroid Prime Hunters sequel. 2D or nothing.

Also, completely unrelated, but I want the Donkey Kong '94 franchise reborn.

I'm assuming you played Mario vs DK on GBA?

Amir0x

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
How do we know that? It's only common knowledge among hardcore gamers. Heck, it's only really big news among hardcore gamers.

he is a hardcore gamer. a REALLY hardcore gamer

Dreamwriter said:
How do we know that? It's only common knowledge among hardcore gamers. Heck, it's only really big news among hardcore gamers.

I'd certainly consider Ross "in the know" when it comes to this kind of stuff.
The game was announced months and months ago, and we got even more footage just a couple weeks ago.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
HYDE said:
I'm assuming you played Mario vs DK on GBA?

Yeah, but the sequels took a different direction :(

Shiggy

There will be quite a few surprises, not only limited to games apparently. Nonetheless, why should he leak them?

Skiesofwonder

Dreamwriter said:

He is a hardcore gamer, and a huge Nintendo fan. Unless the dude hasn't been keeping up for almost a year now and he is to lazy/stupid to google "Kid Icarus 3DS" then mostly likely he is not talking about that.

Edit: Beaten. Twice.

Top Bottom