• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s Changing How Its Burgers Are Cooked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toasting its hamburger buns longer/changing the way it sears and grills its beef.

mcdonalds-Cheeseburger.png

New York Times said:
McDonald’s is tinkering with how it cooks its burgers, with the aim of winning back customers. McDonald’s said it would toast its hamburger buns longer so sandwiches would be warmer, and change the way it sears and grills its beef so that the patties are juicier. “It’s these little things that add up to big differences for our customers,” the chief executive, Steve Easterbrook, said at the Bernstein Strategic Decisions Conference in New York. Mr. Easterbrook, who stepped into his role March 1, said the changes were part of the company’s recommitment to “tastier food across the menu.” He also said the company would, as many of its rivals have, stop reporting monthly sales.

I didn't realize McDonald's even toasted their buns.

Trash grilled better than before is still trash. The problem is that the burger itself is incredibly low quality--easily the worst part of any of their sandwiches.

Pastry

Banned
Changing how you cook a hamburger patty made out of poop won't magically transform it into anything other than poop. This isn't fucking alchemy here McDonald's.

E92 M3

Toasted bread makes everything better. In fact I don't know of one sandwich that doesn't benefit from toasted bread. The crunch factor is immensely important.

Patryn

I've always been under the impression that the patties are pre-cooked and they just nuke them in the restaurants. Am I wrong?

Change how?

If you don't know, they use a clamshell grill.

You put a frozen patty on a flattop grill, secure a piece of teflon to the top of the grill and close the lid down on top like closing a book until a timer goes off and it's done.

It does it fast and it basically squeezes the burger in a hot vice until it's yummy : /

entremet

I thought McDonald's microwaved their burgers. Don't they come pre-cooked from the distributor? I've never seen a grill at a McDonald's.

Hale-XF11

They already lightly toast the buns and they're DRY AS FUCK. When you have to take a sip off your drink after every bite just to get the food down, you're doing it wrong.

I've always been under the impression that the patties are pre-cooked and they just nuke them in the restaurants. Am I wrong?
I've never worked at McDonald's, but when I was a kid working at Hardee's, they were not precooked - just frozen pink patties.

jwk94

Toasted bread makes everything better. In fact I don't know of one sandwich that doesn't benefit from toasted bread. The crunch factor is immensely important.
Agreed. I went to steak n shake and they didn't toast the bun. The burger was awful.

Trash grilled better than before is still trash. The problem is that the burger itself is incredibly low quality--easily the worst part of any of their sandwiches.

They will do everything but change the quality of the food and disrupt their meticulously implemented supply chain.

We will keep getting this kind of lipstick on a pig until they get truly desperate.

VariantX

No, they're not cooked, at least not when I worked there. The meat is just super poor quality and most of the flavor comes from the seasoning.

Sigma722

With all the changes they are making, if any of them work, it's going to be really hard to pin-point what exactly did work.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
As a Chick-Fil-A whore, I HIGHLY suggest McDonald's new Crispy Chicken Deluxe. It's fantastic. They also have a lightly sweetened bread too.

E92 M3

Agreed. I went to steak n shake and they didn't toast the bun. The burger was awful.

I've never been to that establishment, but I always try to request - if possible - for bread to be well toasted. Mmm, now I am in the mood for a cheesesteak with curly fries (crispy).

komplanen

I fucking love their nuggets. I don't care if they go bankrupt as long as their nuggets live on.

I'm not from the US so don't bother suggesting your awesome food chains to me. We city has a dozen McDonalds and one Burger King and Burger King's nugs were shit.

Onaco

I fail to see the point. Employees will complain and not follow new procedures if it's their responsibility to cook differently, and customers will still come in daily to have their shitty food.

Ferrio

Banned
I thought McDonald's microwaved their burgers. Don't they come pre-cooked from the distributor? I've never seen a grill at a McDonald's.

No, they're frozen patties like you can buy at any supermarket. They're cooked by putting them in a grill that's like a huge george foreman/panini press. Cooks both sides at the same time.

VARIA

Is such a thing even possible?

Like, in the case of McDonalds?

I think. I read that they had 2 years of declining sales, but surely this can't really be the beginning of the end.

Not that I care, but that just seems like it would be such a massive thing to occur.

There will always be a market for Mc Donald's but not on the scale that they are used to. I can see them closing up restaurants to stay profitable.

ItIsOkBro

No, they're frozen patties like you can buy at any supermarket. They're cooked by putting them in a grill that's like a huge george foreman/panini press. Cooks both sides at the same time.

They have to be pre-cooked to some degree I mean the time they spend on the grill (40 seconds for 12) seems way too short.

LoveCake

The burgers are too thin for a start, also why do they never look like they do on the menu?

I have taken mine back before & said "i want one like that" pointing at the menu above them, & they have given me a replacement burger, that is slightly better looking.

IePxVam.gif

Is such a thing even possible?

Like, in the case of McDonalds?

I think. I read that they had 2 years of declining sales, but surely this can't really be the beginning of the end.

Not that I care, but that just seems like it would be such a massive thing to occur.

I think it's a little overblown, during the recession McDonald's was killing it with the dollar menu and I think they saw some record profits, I don't think it was possible to sustain the way they were, they just capitalized on a bad economy. They raised prices since then and it costs just as much or sometimes cheaper to get a meal at Chipotle, which is a much better alternative.

Cdammen

Nice. I rarely if ever eat at McDonalds. But whenever I try the classic menus the burgers are dry, so I welcome this change. Will be interesting to taste one as soon as it's put into practice.

Their pies those, don't change those :)

McDonald's continues to do everything possible to avoid making better food/charging less.

Because they can't do either of those things. The margins are tight enough as it is. Doing either of those would be intentionally operating at a loss. They aren't in a position to compete any longer. They have been around so long they can't break expectation of what you get at McD's The newer burger places that have shown up the last few years can set their own customer expectation.

Ferrio

Banned
They have to be pre-cooked to some degree I mean the time they spend on the grill (40 seconds for 12) seems way too short.

Nope, not precooked.

That grill is *hot* and cooking both sides eliminates alot of the time. The small paties (non-quarter pounder ones) are so thin it takes no time at all.

The place I worked at (like 10 years ago) would store some patties we've already cooked in special heating bins that had timers, if those timers went off you'd have to throw away the stuff in the bins and recook another batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom