• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s Changing How Its Burgers Are Cooked

Status
Not open for further replies.
McDonalds-BigMac-1.jpg

Huh?

I don't think I have seen a Big Mac that bad.

They are usually close to the advertised mark except the meat doesn't look as good.

Maybe this is a US thing?

bebop242

As others have said, its the quality of the meat thats the problem. Had a 2 cheeseburger meal the other day and the coke was great, the fries were good and the burgers only tasted of ketchup, cheese and onion. The patty and bun was pure mush.

soleil

Banned
It's just Thousand Island dressing right? It's gotta be darn close to that.

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif
I would try a McDonald's taco. I mean, Jack in the Box does it. And I also don't see why McDonald's would not be capable of making a Taco Bell quality taco, which is clearly good enough to sell.

As others have said, its the quality of the meat thats the problem. Had a 2 cheeseburger meal the other day and the coke was great, the fries were good and the burgers only tasted of ketchup, cheese and onion. The patty and bun was pure mush.

They really seem content on changing everything but the 1/4 inch hockey puck meat.

Do the other stuff on their menu do well? I mean, they have to or else they'd nix them right?

I always specifically go to McDonalds for 2 things and 2 things only: McChicken, and Fillet-o-fish. Honestly can't remember the last time I've had anything else from there. Particularly their beef burgers.

Dat burger body-image-shaming.

daveo42

Banned
I would try a McDonald's taco. I mean, Jack in the Box does it. And I also don't see why McDonald's would not be capable of making a Taco Bell quality taco, which is clearly good enough to sell.

I don't think McD could pull off a Jack in the Box taco at anywhere near the same price point. It'll either taste terrible and still cost a dollar, or they will try to make it high quality and overcharge for it like they seem to do with some of their burger and wrap offerings.

soleil

Banned
I don't think McD could pull off a Jack in the Box taco at anywhere near the same price point. It'll either taste terrible and still cost a dollar, or they will try to make it high quality and overcharge for it like they seem to do with some of their burger and wrap offerings.
Seriously wonder why you think this? McDonald's is the bigger company.

After Hurricane Wilma the local McDonalds was giving away boxes of patties to the locals because there was no power and they were just gonna go bad. They're so much better cooked on a real grill then frying em like they do.

owlbeak

To clarify: Worked at McDonald's when I was 16 (~15 years ago), patties are frozen, raw beef patties. They get cooked on a double-sided grill for a few minutes and covered in seasoning that's mostly salt and gives them their taste. Then they get put in a tray that sits in a warmer shelf until either the timer expires (spoiler: it never does) or all the patties are used.

That's how it used to be at least. And when I'm rarely inside a McDonald's, it looks like it's still done the same way. And it tastes the same.

Had a Big Mac meal today and it was damn delicious - first time in a while. This was however in the UK and I think in general McDonalds is better here then the US, certainly their restaurants decor and service are better. Be interesting to know whether the ingredients are different between the two territories - the Coke I had today with the meal would of been made with real sugar and not glucose fructose syrup.

Shouta

Changing the way they cook it would help some. That's a pretty important step in general and even minor differences in technique can produce different results.

Had a Big Mac meal today and it was damn delicious - first time in a while. This was however in the UK and I think in general McDonalds is better here then the US, certainly their restaurants decor and service are better. Be interesting to know whether the ingredients are different between the two territories - the Coke I had today with the meal would of been made with real sugar and not glucose fructose syrup.

Is it true that they serve beer? And if so, what kind?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
They need to grind their meat fresh, daily.

That's a tall order. I think only Fuddrucker's does that, if you mean on-site.

NastyBook

As a Chick-Fil-A whore, I HIGHLY suggest McDonald's new Crispy Chicken Deluxe. It's fantastic. They also have a lightly sweetened bread too.
That new bun on the CCD is delicious. Much better than that dry ass sesame seed bun they before on there other chicken sandwiches.

Futureman

I think Mcdonald's biggest issue is the association it has with garbage food that's bottom of the barrel. They really need to alter that quickly.

I think there's truth here... I know people who literally gag when McDonalds is mentioned but are OK with something like Wendy's. I find that... strange.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have taken mine back before & said "i want one like that" pointing at the menu above them, & they have given me a replacement burger, that is slightly better looking.

Can't tell if douchey or awesome, so I'm going with awesome.

DOWN

Banned
This thread kills me.

McDonalds themselves addressed this directly in a video they released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSd0keSj2W8
Neat. They've done a ton of transparency videos lately.

They need to grind their meat fresh, daily. Fuck frozen meat patties from 1990 containing meat from 99 different cows.

Did you guys know that McDonalds burgers don't rot, even after 10 years?

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/heres-why-mcdonalds-burgers-don-t-rot

They need to start making changes if they think I will be a customer one day.
Did you even read the article? Homemade burgers don't rot either. This is a myth suggesting McDonald's has some sort of unusual artificiality, but it has everything to do with how fast the burgers dry out. McDonald's uses thinner patties.

Is it true that they serve beer? And if so, what kind?

No, probably in France along with their Royale with Cheese Crazyness!

I think the UK menu is very much like the core US menu.

Talking of crazy Mcdonalds though, I was in Hong Kong the other week and they serve a normal McDonalds breakfast - sausage patty and egg - although not in muffin with a hash brown, but on a bed of pasta and veg in a soup!

20150416_055045.jpg

They've been down that line before

mcpizza.jpg

I've heard a few chains here and there still serve this? Main cause the franchise owner of said spot had to invest some of their money to get the oven in their location, along with the training to work it.

This thread's making me realize I might be too fascinated with McDonalds for my liking.

way more

I've heard a few chains here and there still serve this? Main cause the franchise owner of said spot had to invest some of their money to get the oven in their location, along with the training to work it.

This thread's making me realize I might be too fascinated with McDonalds for my liking.

http://www.eater.com/2015/1/21/7868791/mcdonalds-is-still-serving-pizza-at-exactly-two-locations

The oft-eulogized menu item can be found at Mills' McDonald's stores in Pomeroy, Ohio, and Spencer, West Virginia (the former still serves it in both "family size" and personal-pan-pizza sizes).

NimbusD

Man it's going to be pretty entertaining to see what crazy things McDonald's is going to try as it tries to keep it's shit product at the top of the heap. It's like a company that's image is 100% DVDs, which had a purpose at one point, continue to shove DVDs down people's throat when no one wants them anymore.

The burgers are too thin for a start, also why do they never look like they do on the menu?

I have taken mine back before & said "i want one like that" pointing at the menu above them, & they have given me a replacement burger, that is slightly better looking.

IePxVam.gif

Great post and so true.

Falling Down is also an incredible movie, everyone should watch it.

Darryl

Banned
The lead contributor of my low opinion of McDonald's is almost entirely their "other" menu.

McChickens. McFish. McNuggets.

Just sell your burgers for cheap. Instead the entire menu gets clogged with ground up garbage. It's much weirder to eat ground up chicken than it is to eat ground up burger.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Huh?

I don't think I have seen a Big Mac that bad.

They are usually close to the advertised mark except the meat doesn't look as good.

Maybe this is a US thing?

The one on the right looks like an average to above average Big Mac. I've never seen anything from McDonald's that is even remotely close to a burger that looks like the ones they show in advertisements.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They'll never be as toasty as my buns.

OH MY.gif

B1G_A1AN said:
have taken mine back before & said "i want one like that" pointing at the menu above them, & they have given me a replacement burger, that is slightly better looking.

I don't believe this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom