• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s Changing How Its Burgers Are Cooked

Status
Not open for further replies.

way more

We can assume the people that make "Advertisements that don't look like reality" are gonna be as manipulative as the advertisements themselves.'

Here are some instagram pics of what actual people are getting.

img_0708.jpg

bigmac.jpg

bigmac.jpg

11313752_370406529823924_1621369783_n.jpg

I'm not getting instant diarrhea looking at those. Maybe the internet exaggerated a little?

I can't watch this video as I'm on the train, but how can they possibly address this and look good. "Here's a really terrible excuse for why we misrepresent our sandwiches."

I'm eager to be proven right once I have a chance to watch.

Quite a bit of hand-waves and some facts whose validity the public can't really check.

Basically the gist of the video is that a McDonald's rep lady goes to a store to buy an actual quarter pounder, then they take it to the studio where they do actual shoots, and do a shoot with their "photo burger" and that burger and compare them side to side.

They claim they use the same exact ingredients in the "photo burger", it's just that they spend a ton more time cooking the ingredients, melting the cheese, etc. They also do weird things like set the photo burger vertically crooked because the it looks flat in the photo and otherwise the bun would cover up the ingredients the want to show up on the thing (onion, etc.). They also claim the bun gets flat because of the steam of the box it comes in (lol?)

But, of course, there's no way for anybody to actually fact-check.

We can assume the people that make "Advertisements that don't look like reality" are gonna be as manipulative as the advertisements themselves.'

I'm not getting instant diarrhea looking at those. Maybe the internet exaggerated a little?

McDs has certainly improved the appearance of the more expensive items, at least in my experience (why I occasionally have lunch there I have no idea). Regular cheeseburgers and mcdoubles, though, sometimes do look like complete ass.

Jenenser

wow, so many misinformations in this thread. its hilarious.

- pattys aren't precooked. they are raw, frozen, grounded beef (100%) that is preformed.
- buns are toasted since a very long time. the mcdonalds i worked in had a buntoaster from 1994. (another one in the celar was from 1988)
- burgerpattys are grilled on a plate of steel with another plate that comes down so it gets grilled on both sides simutaniously. (unlike at burgerking where they toast their meat)
-after grilling salt and pepper gets added.

(atleast its like that in germany, i don't know if the usa has other standarts)

and no, i am not still working for mcdonalds and this corporation can lick my balls.
but the amount of misinformation is stunning.

wanna know why the pattys aren't juicy? because the guy in the kitchen wasn't fast enough to take them from the grill. (because they are overworked for the money they get)
OR
the fucking sandwich wasn't taken out of the rail after it should have.
(some sandwiches in these things sit there for up to one hour. ehhh ofc i mean 10 mins. mcdonalds would never sell food that was longer than 10 mins in there. /s

all in all, what he is saying is still bullshit and i know where they could save some money.
(for example stop buying inventory(tools from contractors that want tripple the money for things that i could get dirty cheap in the store across the street...)

way more

Quite a bit of hand-waves and some facts whose validity the public can't really check.

Basically the gist of the video is that a McDonald's rep lady goes to a store to buy an actual quarter pounder, then they take it to the studio where they do actual shoots, and do a shoot with their "photo burger" and that burger and compare them side to side.

They claim they use the same exact ingredients in the "photo burger", it's just that they spend a ton more time cooking the ingredients, melting the cheese, etc. They also do weird things like set the photo burger vertically crooked because the it looks flat in the photo and otherwise the bun would cover up the ingredients the want to show up on the thing (onion, etc.). They also claim the bun gets flat because of the steam of the box it comes in (lol?)

Steam usually does that to bread.

antonz

You can tell they have little faith in their changes since the are going to now hide their monthly sales. I would have little faith too because nothing any of their leadership has proposed actually addresses the problems mcdonalds has

Lunar15

I've never, ever liked the buns at McDonalds. Way too dry or something.

I don't even hate McDonalds, It's just that there's so many other options for burgers now. And there's so many options other than burgers.

You should ask for the chess to be melted then.

They'll do pretty much whatever you ask.

1. I would rather they just did it, it's generally depicted as melted in advertisements.

2. Most McDonalds are rush-rush-rush and would give you a weird, irritated look for such a picky request.

way more

Steam usually does that to bread. And maybe it's not fact-checking but we do have laws when it comes to advertising food.

woodypop

https://macnchic.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/img_0708.jpg?w=545[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.mavrck.co/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/bigmac.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.attemptsatdomestication.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/bigmac.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/e15/11313752_370406529823924_1621369783_n.jpg[IMG]

I'm not getting instant diarrhea looking at those. Maybe the internet exaggerated a little?[/QUOTE]
I remember going to a McDonald's last year and ordering an Angus burger (probly the mushroom Swiss one). I was absolutely [I]floored[/I] by how photogenic it was. It's rare, which is why I was so taken aback and impressed by the occurrence. I was legit amazed.

Phyranion

Great! I LOVE eating at McDonald's! They have the best food in the world. I'm drooling just now. MMmmmmmmMmmmmm, I'm loving it!!!

img_0708.jpg

bigmac.jpg

bigmac.jpg

11313752_370406529823924_1621369783_n.jpg

I ate on McDonald's today and it was looking good as those. BK is better, though.

nilbog21

Banned
They just need to make McDonalds more like chipotle. FRESH and healthy, wholesome ingredients (if you choose the right ones)

McDonalds themselves addressed this directly in a video they released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSd0keSj2W8

Lol. That ad is a huge fail, to anyone with half a brain, that isn't half asleep or stoned; so to get the "advertisement" shot, they use the exact same ingredients, including quantities, but they carefully place all of the two pickle slices etc, at the front of the burger, and innocently proclaim (indirectly) that this isn't in anyway false advertising. Well, at least the Supreme Court would wholeheartedly agree...

genjiZERO

Double cheeseburger is medicine after a long night of drinking.

The biggest problem with MacDonalds is that the prices just aren't worth it. It's go there more if it was cheaper.

They just need to make McDonalds more like chipotle. FRESH and healthy, wholesome ingredients (if you choose the right ones)

I don't think that'll work. There's already a stigma against McDonalds. Just look at this thread.

I mean, I don't really care what they do. I like their shitty dollar menu every once and a while. I had their upper scale burgers too and they aren't terrible, just expensive (again with the whole mcdonalds stigma)

way more

wow, so many misinformations in this thread. its hilarious.

- pattys aren't precooked. they are raw, frozen, grounded beef (100%) that is preformed.
- buns are toasted since a very long time. the mcdonalds i worked in had a buntoaster from 1994. (another one in the celar was from 1988)
- burgerpattys are grilled on a plate of steel with another plate that comes down so it gets grilled on both sides simutaniously. (unlike at burgerking where they toast their meat)
-after grilling salt and pepper gets added.

(atleast its like that in germany, i don't know if the usa has other standarts)

and no, i am not still working for mcdonalds and this corporation can lick my balls.
but the amount of misinformation is stunning.

GAF uninformed about how food is made yet loudly proclaiming BS out of pure ignorance? Never! We watch Food Network here so we know how to cook and run a restaurant.

You can't talk about Mickey D's without a nice dash of fast food hyperbole.

I've tried the new Sirloin Burger. It's a solid cut of meat, provided the cook behind the grill didn't dryout the meat.

Having said that, BK's Big King is good enough to rival a Big Mac.

I'd check out the nutritious facts on those burritos.

n64coder

Exactly. Isn't it like 1200 calories or more for a burrito?
In general, I try to avoid eating out except on special occasions since it's unhealthy.

EDIT: according to Chipotle nutrition calculator, it's 965 calories for a burrito.

idlewild_

Exactly. Isn't it like 1200 calories or more for a burrito?
In general, I try to avoid eating out except on special occasions since it's unhealthy.

They are also extremely high in sodium. Like, towards the upper limit of recommended daily intake in a single burrito.

antonz

You can't talk about Mickey D's without a nice dash of fast food hyperbole.

I've tried the new Sirloin Burger. It's a solid cut of meat, provided the cook behind the grill didn't dryout the meat.

Having said that, BK's Big King is good enough to rival a Big Mac.

The new Sirloin Burger is about the best thing McDonald's has done in a very long time and it is the kind of thing they should work on more.

The biggest issue I have with mcdonalds is the quality can change so much at the same location just depending on the time of day. Get there right after breakfast and burgers tend to be amazing as everything is fresh and ready to start the day. Burgers are super hot the cheese is nicely melted etc.

Come back a few hours later and its like an entirely different place. Burgers aren't cold but they aren't nuclear hot like earlier and more often than not the cheese isn't melting and the meat is a lot drier

Krowley

You know what I like about McDonald's? Consistency.

Yes, it tastes a little like cardboard, but it's that wonderful cardboard taste I know and love; the cardboard that I've been eating since i was about 2 years old.

Not real happy to hear they're caving to whiners.

I can't eat there often anymore for diet reasons, but when I do, I want it to taste like my childhood.

Why are people automatically so stupid when it comes to McD's? Really, you think they microwave their patties? How would that even work? Giant microwave filled with patties? The fact is they use a giant panini press thing, and they have for quite some time. While it may be a questionable way of preparing a burger in regards to taste, they do it to limit the liability of serving undercooked meat and to provide consistency throughout the locations. Consider the volume of transactions McD's does daily. While it may be prudent for places like five guys or Mom and Pop joint X to cook each burger on a flat grill, such a thing is not really possible at Mickey D's.

For what it is worth, I am the furtherest thing from a McDonalds advocate. However, it would be helpful when discussing food if people would employ just the smallest bit of common sense.

LoveCake

Because it's impossible.

Quite literally. The food they use for the photos isn't the same, it wouldn't be legal to sell it.

So is it legal to false advertise then?

OH MY.gif

I don't believe this.

I open the box at the counter, if the burger is a mess, i say i'm not eating this, they then replace it, i admit that i don't take it away & then return it, i do it at the counter.

It isn't very often, but often enough that i check them at the counter.

The best things at MD's is the Sausage 'n' Egg & Bacon 'n' Egg McMuffins Mmmmmm

t-storm

The burgers are too thin for a start, also why do they never look like they do on the menu?

I have taken mine back before & said "i want one like that" pointing at the menu above them, & they have given me a replacement burger, that is slightly better looking.
Ew. I've never gotten a Big Mac that looked like that. We should all post pics of our Big Macs... *crickets*

[/img]snip[/IMG]

Ya.

The new Sirloin Burger is about the best thing McDonald's has done in a very long time and it is the kind of thing they should work on more.

I don't know, I've been ordering the Sirloin Burger and it's merely OK, it's no gamechanger. It's such a small minute incremental improvement, plus it still reeks of poor MickeyD quality.

Kaladin

But I like my patties dry and my buns slightly cold.....it's how I know I'm eating fast food.

Real talk though,

When are they going to address the insane amount of lettuce they throw on Big Macs? Sometimes I get more lettuce than meat.

LoveCake

Maybe MD's needs to get Don 'Big Mac' Gorske out more for promotional purposes?

stZfGF9.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Gorske

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCGLOF7j1zQ

I prefer Burger King myself, they are just a better tasting burger, the best burger MD's do is just the normal hamburger it tastes better than all the others on the menu imo.

It is going to take a lot more than toasting the bun to get people back to their restaurants.

I think that being here in the UK compared to the USA Gaffers is that the service may be better in the USA where customer service is king.

Your sandwich looking like shit has less to do with the ingredients being physically unable to look like the ad and more to do with the kid preparing it not giving a fuck. It's not made in a studio so it'll probably never look that good, but nothing illegal is happening.

Bubba T

One day I went to McDonald's and ordered some chicken nuggets.

They asked me what sauce I wanted and I said Hot Mustard.

The cashier told me they didn't have it any longer.

That was the day McDonald's truly died in my eyes.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Your sandwich looking like shit has less to do with the ingredients being physically unable to look like the ad and more to do with the kid preparing it not giving a fuck. It's not made in a studio so it'll probably never look that good, but nothing illegal is happening.
Pretty much. And when I worked at McD's as a teenager, there was almost zero emphasis from management on how the sandwich looked when assembled. As long as you put all the correct toppings on, it was way more important to be fast vs. pretty.

Although I can confirm that, at least at our location, the warming tray timers meant almost nothing. Typically you'd hit the button to reset them but leave all the meat in there. If you're gonna eat McD's, I would not go at an off time.

Daniel B·;165558152 said:
Lol. That ad is a huge fail, to anyone with half a brain, that isn't half asleep or stoned; so to get the "advertisement" shot, they use the exact same ingredients, including quantities, but they carefully place all of the two pickle slices etc, at the front of the burger, and innocently proclaim (indirectly) that this isn't in anyway false advertising. Well, at least the Supreme Court would wholeheartedly agree...
So is it legal to false advertise then?

It's not false advertisement. That is a Big Mac. It has all the ingredients of a Big Mac, it's just presented in the most flattering way possible. False advertisement would be showing tomatoes on it, as a Big Mac doesn't come with tomatoes.

Check out a cereal ad sometime. The cereal, which has had every individual flake hand-selected, is probably in a bowlful of Elmer's glue. This is considered okay, because they're not advertising milk, but the cereal has to really be what is sold in the box.

They are also extremely high in sodium. Like, towards the upper limit of recommended daily intake in a single burrito.

How exactly does that work though? Wouldn't it be dependent on what sort of burrito you create? I find it hard to believe that a steak burrito with all the fixings would have the same amount of sodium as a veggie burrito with fewer additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom