• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald’s Changing How Its Burgers Are Cooked

Status
Not open for further replies.

dekline

Maybe MD's needs to get Don 'Big Mac' Gorske out more for promotional purposes?

stZfGF9.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Gorske

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCGLOF7j1zQ

I've heard of this guy. This surprised me though:

He says his taste buds have always fluctuated in sensitivity, so he often eats a Big Mac without being able to taste it.

Why are people automatically so stupid when it comes to McD's? Really, you think they microwave their patties? How would that even work? Giant microwave filled with patties? The fact is they use a giant panini press thing, and they have for quite some time. While it may be a questionable way of preparing a burger in regards to taste, they do it to limit the liability of serving undercooked meat and to provide consistency throughout the locations. Consider the volume of transactions McD's does daily. While it may be prudent for places like five guys or Mom and Pop joint X to cook each burger on a flat grill, such a thing is not really possible at Mickey D's.

For what it is worth, I am the furtherest thing from a McDonalds advocate. However, it would be helpful when discussing food if people would employ just the smallest bit of common sense.

The kitchens in most McDs are open and you can see in them to watch someone cooking the patties. I don't know where the idea that they microwaved them spread.

For what it's worth, there's places like Panera that DO microwave their food, so I guess the rumor spreads simply because there's precedent.

zychi

Banned
just saw the schmidt commercial and did a major double take. hope he is getting a healthy paycheck for that. bummed that he didn't use his fatsuit from new girl for the spot.

The irony is that there's a video around the internet somewhere of him talking about doing a triathlon, and having to stop eating fast food because it was making him fat.

Tigress

It's not even in the same galaxy as a real CFA, but if you're in an area without CFA, it will do.

Not me anymore! I still have to wait til people get over trying the new Chick Fil A though. THe lines create traffic all the way to the highway right now. Probably will take a few months (it took a year for people to get over Krispy Kreme and stop having 2 hour lines there, I hope Chick Fil A isn't that bad).

Which has me grumbling that I could have told Chick Fil A they'd do well here if they got some franchises here (took them too damned long).

I'm not sure what they can do.

I've had Mcdonalds Pizza.
McDonald's Subs
McDonald's lobster roll
McRib
Etc

Now mcTacos????

I think McDonald's is actually growing in Canada whereas they're in deep shit in the U.S.

We're gotten chipotle, Five Guys,Panera etc. I imagine they will struggle more as competition ramps up.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
you cant take a turd out of the literal diarrhea stew it's floating in, and put it in fresh water and then expect people to literally eat the poop.

idlewild_

How exactly does that work though? Wouldn't it be dependent on what sort of burrito you create? I find it hard to believe that a steak burrito with all the fixings would have the same amount of sodium as a veggie burrito with fewer additions.

It does depend on what you put in it. However, the tortilla + steak + white rice is already ~1400mg of sodium. I guess it depends what you mean by 'all the fixings', but you are almost assuredly over 2000mg, close to the recommended daily intake. You can check on their website, but you can easily make a steak burrito with over 3000mg.

Rival

Gold Member
Agreed. I went to steak n shake and they didn't toast the bun. The burger was awful.

Steak 'n Shake should have had toasted. If not they didn't do it correctly. That's from my summer of having worked at one as a teen. Worst job ever by the way.

I fucking love their nuggets. I don't care if they go bankrupt as long as their nuggets live on.

I'm not from the US so don't bother suggesting your awesome food chains to me. We city has a dozen McDonalds and one Burger King and Burger King's nugs were shit.

what kind of crazed man goes to burger king and gets nuggets

Not me anymore! I still have to wait til people get over trying the new Chick Fil A though. THe lines create traffic all the way to the highway right now. Probably will take a few months (it took a year for people to get over Krispy Kreme and stop having 2 hour lines there, I hope Chick Fil A isn't that bad).

Which has me grumbling that I could have told Chick Fil A they'd do well here if they got some franchises here (took them too damned long).

Having lived in Los Angeles and now living in Atlanta, I propose an In-n-Out and Chik-Fil-A merge so everyone can have the best of both worlds from coast to coast.

I miss the burgers from that joint and it would be huge here.

Their burger business is worthless in this day and age. The McD real estate footprint is where the value resides; time to sell the business to a financial sponsor/private equtiy firm and let them maximize its value by tearing it apart.

pharmx

Having lived in Los Angeles and now living in Atlanta, I propose an In-n-Out and Chik-Fil-A merge so everyone can have the best of both worlds from coast to coast.

I miss the burgers from that joint and it would be huge here.

No longer live in Georgia, but this sounds dangerous. I would be so broke and unhealthy, lol.

DopeToast

Banned
I don't even hate McDonald's, but either the prices need to go down or the food needs to get a bit better. There are just so many good options now for burgers.

I do think a much simpler menu would work. Single, Double, Triple hamburgers/cheeseburgers; Big Mac; chicken nuggets/sandwich; and shakes.

No, they're not cooked, at least not when I worked there. The meat is just super poor quality and most of the flavor comes from the seasoning.
Wait... Really? Mc Donalds hamburgers are so shit I'd swear they were previously frozen. They're cooked there and they still taste like that?! Wendy's is destroying Mc Donalds burgers right now! And these fucks wonder why their sales are so low.
No longer live in Georgia, but this sounds dangerous. I would be so broke and unhealthy, lol.
I would die lol.

Yo, McD's. Bring back the Arch Deluxe, and I'll start buying from you again.

I worked there when they launched this and everyone would be given coupons with their order to get the sandwich for a dollar. As soon as the promotion stopped we sold about 1 an hour.

It's just Thousand Island dressing right? It's gotta be darn close to that.

Thousand Island + Mayonnaise more or less.

1. Serve Breakfast all day.
2. Offer the Mc rib all year.

IIRC, I read something about how the McRib only gets rolled out when the price of certain meat products are below a certain level. I guess it has a very slim profit margin.

I also remember a customer calling our manager over and chewing him out for 10 minutes becuase they didn't have the McRib anymore.

DOWN

Banned
People saying photographing your sandwich with the ingredients showing is false advertising? Lol

Just because your Big Mac doesn't look as good as the pic, doesn't mean it couldn't. Not false advertising at all.

And they cook the meat in store. Microwaved burgers is ridiculous.

Beautiful:
We can assume the people that make "Advertisements that don't look like reality" are gonna be as manipulative as the advertisements themselves.'

Here are some instagram pics of what actual people are getting.

img_0708.jpg

bigmac.jpg

bigmac.jpg

11313752_370406529823924_1621369783_n.jpg

I'm not getting instant diarrhea looking at those. Maybe the internet exaggerated a little?

BK broil em, stick them in plastic containers till someone orders, then throw it all in a microwave to heat it up.

It's not great.

That's exactly why Burger King's food is so dry. The bottom half of the bun is topped with a cold burger and placed in the microwave while all the condiments are placed on the top half then they put the two halves together and wrap it up.

Daniel B·;165558152 said:
Lol. That ad is a huge fail, to anyone with half a brain, that isn't half asleep or stoned; so to get the "advertisement" shot, they use the exact same ingredients, including quantities, but they carefully place all of the two pickle slices etc, at the front of the burger, and innocently proclaim (indirectly) that this isn't in anyway false advertising. Well, at least the Supreme Court would wholeheartedly agree...

Dude youre trippin. IF they wanted to make it look like the advertisement they could, its all the same exact ingredients. But no one wants to go to mcdonalds and wait 10 min for a pretty quarter pounder.

And mcdonalds "false advertising" is nothing compared to ads for apparel worn by models. Stuff you buy off the rack will not look like what the models are wearing because they pin the hell out of everything.

MedHead

When I worked at McDonald's years ago, the franchise location that employed me did have one or two microwaves in the back. They were used to warm up the burger before it was sent out. The microwaves were eventually removed and stricter quality control was enforced.

McDonald's meat is raw and frozen, and is stored in a refrigerated cooler near the grill. The grill has already been shown in this thread, but I wanted to add that it does also use a lot of pressure to squish the burgers, decreasing cooking time and keeping the burgers from becoming misshapen. After grilling the burgers, I was required to sprinkle seasoning on them. Those burgers, as well as all of McDonald's meats, were placed in a lined tray that was inserted into a custom warming slot. Each slot had a timer above it to track cook times, and when the timer went off, we were to throw the meat away. We rarely did. Additionally, there was a warming bay for prepared burgers available for the workers up front to access, and no burgers were supposed to sit in there for longer than 10 minutes. People noticed when we left them for too long (the burgers would dry out) so it was usually enforced.

Buns were toasted through a top-loading belt-fed toasting oven. The heating plates inside the oven were anti-stick coated, but the coating would burn off or get so covered in bun remnants that the buns would often exit a shredded, burned mess. Cleaning that was a chore and tended to be the thing that slowed down our orders. Maintenance of that oven tended to be a nuisance and dangerous, requiring us to either accept minor burns to swap out the anti-stick sheets quickly, or wait for it to cool before making the swap.

McDonald's also had contests across all its stores to seek out the best employees in every department, offering prizes and promotions to the winners. The winners would eventually be able to work for a bit in their main location--or maybe it was the test kitchen; I don't remember.

McDonald's food is often unhealthy, but there is a surprising amount of optimization and testing involved before the burger ever makes it to the franchise locations. It was a little unnerving to me at times, because I felt like I was working on a science experiment rather than a recipe.

The new Sirloin Burger is about the best thing McDonald's has done in a very long time and it is the kind of thing they should work on more.

The biggest issue I have with mcdonalds is the quality can change so much at the same location just depending on the time of day. Get there right after breakfast and burgers tend to be amazing as everything is fresh and ready to start the day. Burgers are super hot the cheese is nicely melted etc.

Come back a few hours later and its like an entirely different place. Burgers aren't cold but they aren't nuclear hot like earlier and more often than not the cheese isn't melting and the meat is a lot drier

It's hard to have the people behind the grill or even at the register care about their jobs when the most common way to slight someone is to say "ended up working at a McDonalds".

It's the places with solid management teams that can have consistently good Mickey D's and they aren't the places that are heavily optimized for speed.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
People saying photographing your sandwich with the ingredients showing is false advertising? Lol

Just because your Big Mac doesn't look as good as the pic, doesn't mean it couldn't. Not false advertising at all.

And they cook the meat in store. Microwaved burgers is ridiculous.

Beautiful:
They don't cook the meat in those ad burgers.

Serve breakfast all day and never serve the McRib again because it's fucking garbage.

I'll agree with this, I tried the McRib once because of all the hype about it being back a couple years ago, it was fucking disgusting. It's just a Banquet TV dinner "pork" rib shaped patty on a bun.

I'll agree with this, I tried the McRib once because of all the hype about it being back a couple years ago, it was fucking disgusting. It's just a Banquet TV dinner "pork" rib shaped patty on a bun.

Everything about it is bad. The meat's bad, the sauce is bad and worst of all it's not a Sausage McMuffin.

jwk94

Steak 'n Shake should have had toasted. If not they didn't do it correctly. That's from my summer of having worked at one as a teen. Worst job ever by the way.

Yeah it's my favorite fast food place. I have no clue why they didn't toast the bun that time but it ruined my experience at that location.

ultrazilla

Trash grilled better than before is still trash. The problem is that the burger itself is incredibly low quality--easily the worst part of any of their sandwiches.

Gotta agree here. Can you imagine a Big Mac with nice sized ground beef patties and not paper thin cup coasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom