• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDouble is the cheapest and most nutritious food in human history

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think Taco Bell actually has them beat here. A Beefy Frito's Burrito is 430 calories for a dollar.

Isn't the sodium pretty bad though, or no?

If you are drinking a lot of water, nope. I heavily salt everything I eat with a Na/K salt blend I made and my sodium is great. I actually have to because I can get dehydrated (more hyponat/kal) easily.

On topic, the only thing more perfect than two McDoubles for my keto macros is a Baconator, but those are way more expensive.

Two McDoubles for $2 are a go-to quick lunch I am busy - always plain and I toss the buns. I've been buying 4-6 on Monday and leave them in the fridge at work to reheat if I need a snack or can't go to lunch.

zma1013

I think the real bad for you stuff at mcdonalds is essentially the fries and soda. The burgers are okay to eat.

The food won't spoil that's for sure.

Yeah, it's comforting knowing that the crew that will eventually recover your body will not go unfed. Those guys and gals work hard.

I think the real bad for you stuff at mcdonalds is essentially the fries and soda. The burgers are okay to eat.

It's amazing how much you can lower your caloric intake by dropping the bubbly syrup. Did it in college and never looked back.

I just can't quit fries, though. That's not living.

Y'all can get the McChicken and a McDouble and create a McGangbang.

I had one of those a few weeks back

B1VWTmyh.jpg

Ahhh Mcgangbang, I miss you. That was my jam for a lot of high school. Haven't had Mcdicks in almost a year now, though :(

jmdajr

A saw a presentation on obesity that only like 5 items in the whole Mc Donald menu didn't have added sugar.

Yes, the fries was one of them!

Fuchsdh

I would say as an individual, fast food could potentially be cheaper. But when you have a family it's not.

As long as you are not going to whole foods you can make it work. Since I started to bring cooked meals to my office the amount of money I have left at the end of the month is pretty damn surprising. Fast food, and simply going out to eat..will break you.

I agree, which is why I pointed out that poor people being time-starved factors into it. If you've got double shifts or another job you need to get to you while dropping off kids, it's much easier to hit up McD's, or just throw in some microwaveable readymade meal full of fat and salt, than it is to cook a home meal that's probably healthier and cheaper.

I bring my own food into work as well, and combined with the fact I don't go for coffee I'm probably saving a good $50 weekly over my coworkers in food costs. Difference is the poor can't absorb that hit the same way I could if I wanted to.

Does lower blood pressure (90 over 50 [whatever that means]) mean I should watch my salt intake more, or is that only for folks with high blood pressure? I eat salt like a snail.

90 over 50? That's actually rather low.

It's systolic over diastolic, by the way. Systolic is pressure when the heart beats, diastolic is the pressure between beats.

jmdajr

I agree, which is why I pointed out that poor people being time-starved factors into it. If you've got double shifts or another job you need to get to you while dropping off kids, it's much easier to hit up McD's, or just throw in some microwaveable readymade meal full of fat and salt, than it is to cook a home meal that's probably healthier and cheaper.

I bring my own food into work as well, and combined with the fact I don't go for coffee I'm probably saving a good $50 weekly over my coworkers in food costs. Difference is the poor can't absorb that hit the same way I could if I wanted to.

Yup. Poor people are without a doubt the biggest victims of fast food. Poor neighborhoods rarely get quality super markers.

It's all fast food and convenience stores. Sucks.

jmdajr

90 over 50? That's actually rather low.

It's systolic over diastolic, by the way. Systolic is pressure when the heart beats, diastolic is the pressure between beats.

90/50 holy shit. I'd probbaly faint.

But if you have no ill effects from it, go you.

DJ_Lae

90/50 holy shit. I'd probbaly faint.

But if you have no ill effects from it, go you.

I would too. I have POTS and when my BP dips that low it's generally because I'm about to faint. I know everyone is different, though.

80/60 is about as low as mine has been while I was conscious. Not fun.

On the bright side I'm supposed to eat lots of salt as a result. Downside? Everything starts tasting bland.

Futureman

I'm pretty sure most people in first world countries aren't looking for "calorie per dollar" anymore because they aren't literally starving to death.

whoa now, 1.5 MILLION households in the US live in extreme poverty (less than $2/day).

1.5 Million isn't a ton when the US population is around 320 million, but there are plenty who live in "normal" poverty that very much are looking at calorie per dollar.

I love them - actually I love McDonald's in general but I burn through so many calories so fast. These days I just stick with a sandwich or two and skip the fries and soda.

akira28

they should only cost a dollar though.

...but its true. skip the fries and drink, only slam a couple of mc'ds...and you will be fueled for a while. slabs of meat tend to do that.

Jenenser

i believe it, i lived long enough from this stuff.
held my figure without issues (but i also don't overfed on my portions, 2 of them, with half a pack mayonaise each [yes, i am that guy] was filling and tasted quite good.)

but cooking yourself is still the cheapest if you know how.

zer0das

Banned
Rice and any staple food beats it pretty handily. I guess if you're worried about taste, for its cost it is pretty good at breaking the tedium of eating a bunch of staples all the time.

Huh. When I had like thirty dollars to my name to last a week and I was mostly eating cans of green beans and corn someone left at my job, used the 2 for $2 to get eight of these fuckers. Guess it wasn't that bad of a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom