• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Mario & Pokemon coming within 6 months of NX launch, 3rd parties, exec comment

what-ok

Does anyone think the new zelda would be less impactful on a portable? Would the scale of Hyrule be less dynamic on a tiny lower res screen since the visuals are being developed for a larger "HD" screen?

iBlue

I am expecting Nintendo to acknowledge our digital purchases with nx so we don't have to buy the smash version on nx

Rodin

Not really, he just said that they will go over the differences between the two versions at a later date.
Considering that the game is entirely playable with the pro controller, that the gamepad doesn't do anything and that the NX apparently has classic controls (the detachable controllers that you can use even when playing on the tv), i don't see what these differences can be other than technical. I mean, we know that the NX is stronger than the Wii U, better graphics in some measure should be a given.

So unless the NX makes heavy use of AR even in games like BotW and they come up with something we can't possibly expect right now, it's easy to think he was hinting at that (too). I'm not sure why so many people are so sure that the two versions will have the same graphics though.

I am expecting Nintendo to acknowledge our digital purchases with nx so we don't have to buy the smash version on nx
This won't happen. I don't remember sony gifting TLOUR to those who bought the game on the PS3 the year before. Hopefully we won't have to rebuy virtual console games though, now that would be good.

Considering that the game is entirely playable with the pro controller, that the gamepad doesn't do anything and that the NX apparently has classic controls (the detachable controllers that you can use even when playing on the tv), i don't see what these differences can be other than technical. I mean, we know that the NX is stronger than the Wii U, better graphics in some measure should be a given.

So unless the NX makes heavy use of AR even in games like BotW and they come up with something we can't possibly expect right now, it's easy to think he was hinting at that (too). I'm not sure why so many people are so sure that the two versions will have the same graphics though.
Probably because of Twilight Princess.
I think it'll be cleaned up a bit but I wouldn't expect anything close to drastic.
It's not like it couldn't look noticeably better but the question is effort on Nintendo's part.

psyfi

Banned
Does anyone think the new zelda would be less impactful on a portable? Would the scale of Hyrule be less dynamic on a tiny lower res screen since the visuals are being developed for a larger "HD" screen?
I definitely plan on playing it on my TV. 3D Zelda games always feel claustrophobic on handhelds imo, though I didn't mind Wind Waker on the Wii U, so who knows.

wrowa

Well this is certainly interesting, at Quakecon this past weekend Bethesda commented on the potential of NX support.

They said it's something they're definitely gonna look more into though only time will tell if that's true. I think Bethesda would give the NX a much needed boost in third party and I don't remember if they ever supported a Nintendo console.

http://nintendoeverything.com/bethesda-on-potential-nx-support-definitely-something-we-will-look-at/

Sounds like a generic non-answer to me.

21XX

Banned

Exactly. What are they going to say? "Oh that? No. Never. Without even knowing how the thing will land with consumers, we're saying no."

People read into generic PR responses WAY too much sometimes.

Genio88

To me Zelda will be for sure breath of the wild, Pokemon could be a port of Sun and Moon from 3DS, perhaps with some more contents, whilst Mario instead could be the real "new" one

It does Bethesda no good to say anything other than "we're going to be looking into it!" right now since the console hasn't even been announced, let alone released.

That said, it would be nice to see them bring their games to the platform, particularly if it's as portable as the rumors say. I'd play a lot more Fallout or Elder Scrolls on a handheld platform than on my TV I think.

It does Bethesda no good to say anything other than "we're going to be looking into it!" right now since the console hasn't even been announced, let alone released.

That said, it would be nice to see them bring their games to the platform, particularly if it's as portable as the rumors say. I'd play a lot more Fallout or Elder Scrolls on a handheld platform than on my TV I think.

The idea of playing the new Elder Scrolls on a handheld sounds interesting, also I wonder if will this allow the NX to play mods because in terms of Bethesda almost all of their games (Other than DOOM and Wolfenstein) have mod support built in.

Eolz

This, but knowing Bethesda, I really doubt they'll port something on a nintendo console, even if the power is there. They are the most unlikely western publisher possible to support NX, mainly due to internal culture and beliefs.

Trago

Well this is certainly interesting, at Quakecon this past weekend Bethesda commented on the potential of NX support.

They said it's something they're definitely gonna look more into though only time will tell if that's true. I think Bethesda would give the NX a much needed boost in third party and I don't remember if they ever supported a Nintendo console.

http://nintendoeverything.com/bethesda-on-potential-nx-support-definitely-something-we-will-look-at/

I doubt they'd ever bring their games to the platform. I'd be more interested in a Bethesda x Nintendo collaboration ala Hyrule Warriors or Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

I doubt they'd ever bring their games to the platform. I'd be more interested in a Bethesda x Nintendo collaboration ala Hyrule Warriors or Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Inb4 they make a spinoff of Zelda Breath of the Wild called The Zelda Scrolls Legends.

Oregano

Bethesda hasn't really shied away from shooting down any prospects in the past. Also they could probably just port stuff like Doom 3: BFG(already runs on Tegra) and Skyrim Remastered if they wanted to support it.

Not sayings it's likely but it wouldn't necessarily mean their AAA games.

The idea of playing the new Elder Scrolls on a handheld sounds interesting, also I wonder if will this allow the NX to play mods because in terms of Bethesda almost all of their games (Other than DOOM and Wolfenstein) have mod support built in.

Oh sweet, officially supported Smash Bros. 4 mods.

Trago

Inb4 they make a spinoff Zelda Breath of the Wild called The Zelda Scrolls Legends

Been meaning to make a thread exploring the subject of Nintendo's collaborations with third parties, but I think this generation they have to buck the trend of collaborating with Japanese publishers almost exclusively. Nearly all of the second party partnerships we saw on the Wii U were Japanese. I said since the launch of the Wii U that they could benefit more from working closely with western publishers in the same way they do the Japanese. It would help build better relationships and make their platform more attractive.

Hilarion

Bethesda has literally never supported Nintendo, they're not going to start now.

EDIT: Supported in any serious way. Like, the opportunity was there. Imagine if they'd taken advantage of the popularity of Oblivion on release towards the start of the 360's lifespan by porting Morrowind to the Wii, which was the fastest-selling system in existence in 2006-07? There were plenty of people considering dipping into the Wii for more serious fare in those early years and they could've made some quick cash.

Oregano

Been meaning to make a thread exploring the subject of Nintendo's collaborations with third parties, but I think this generation they have to buck the trend of collaborating with Japanese publishers almost exclusively. Nearly all of the second party partnerships we saw on the Wii U were Japanese. I said since the launch of the Wii U that they could benefit more from working closely with western publishers in the same way they do the Japanese. It would help build better relationships and make their platform more attractive.

Nintendo can't force them to do it though. Nintendo wanted Criterion to make F Zero and they turned it down. Nintendo works with Japanese companies because those companies want to work with Nintendo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

So

NintenDoom

Trago

Nintendo can't force them to do it though. Nintendo wanted Criterion to make F Zero and they turned it down. Nintendo works with Japanese companies because those companies want to work with Nintendo.

I still think it's worth it for them to try something with western publishers. Hopefully the Beyond Good & Evil 2 rumors are true as that would be a good indicator that they are open to working with western publishers more.

So

NintenDoom

Or Zelda Scrolls, NintenDoom sounds like a youtuber that makes Doom mods based on Nintendo characters.

Speaking of which I think there's a DOOM mod that's called Metroid: Dreadnought which converts the entire game to play like Metroid Prime and Super Metroid.

Oregano

I still think it's worth it for them to try something with western publishers. Hopefully the Beyond Good & Evil 2 rumors are true as that would be a good indicator that they are open to working with western publishers more.

Yeah I agree. It's just a lot more difficult than working with Japanese companies.

To be fair Nintendo did publish Activision and Warner Bros developed games for the Wii U.

thefro

Bethesda has literally never supported Nintendo, they're not going to start now.

EDIT: Supported in any serious way. Like, the opportunity was there. Imagine if they'd taken advantage of the popularity of Oblivion on release towards the start of the 360's lifespan by porting Morrowind to the Wii, which was the fastest-selling system in existence in 2006-07? There were plenty of people considering dipping into the Wii for more serious fare in those early years and they could've made some quick cash.

Doesn't Nvidia have a really good relationship with Bethesda?

Trago

Yeah I agree. It's just a lot more difficult than working with Japanese companies.

To be fair Nintendo did publish Activision and Warner Bros developed games for the Wii U.

Considering the recent restructure of the company, this could hopefully give NOA the opportunity to get some work done on the western side.

MacTag

Banned

They also published Ubisoft games in Japan (Just Dance Wii U and Rayman Legends).

I think Criterion is the only time I've ever heard of a developer turning down the opportunity to work with Nintendo.

Top Bottom