• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Mario & Pokemon coming within 6 months of NX launch, 3rd parties, exec comment

MacTag

Banned
Only because they don't want a place in that market. Nintendo hasn't had a traditional console since the SNES. They've, sadly, always done some dumb shit to gimp themselves.
N64 and Gamecube were both entirely traditional consoles. And it's not like SNES wasn't gimped in dumb ways too (like the slow CPU).

AntMurda

Not true at all, unless you think GCN failed primarily because of smaller discs.

GCN was more powerful than PS2 and featured an incredible lineup during its first two years. You could even buy one for $99 before its second birthday. It was pretty much the ultimate "core" Nintendo experience and it failed. There is absolutely no room for a third traditional box (fourth if you want to count PC) in the marketplace.

It failed for a variety of reasons. Partly because of bad aesthetic and marketing decisions. And partly because the first-party line up faltered greatly from the Nintendo 64, and it had slim picking of third-party exclusives.

It wasn't the ultimate core Nintendo experience by any means. The N64 and SNES were.

Not true at all, unless you think GCN failed primarily because of smaller discs.

GCN was more powerful than PS2 and featured an incredible lineup during its first two years. You could even buy one for $99 before its second birthday. It was pretty much the ultimate "core" Nintendo experience and it failed. There is absolutely no room for a third traditional box (fourth if you want to count PC) in the marketplace.
GC design, basically no online, the controller, marketing and missing out on a lot of important titles like GTA killed it. It should have had a DVD player too.

AgeEighty

GC design, basically no online, the controller, marketing and missing out on a lot of important titles like GTA killed it. It should have had a DVD player too.

"No online" did not kill the GC any more than it "killed" the PS2. It was kind of a novelty with the Xbox and didn't really come into its own until the following generation.

But yes, aesthetic was part of it; they were trying to make the device non-threatening but they overdid it. No GTA3 and no DVD playback were the two biggest things by far; those two elements alone won that generation for PS2.

If the Panasonic Q had launched in the west day and date with the vanilla GCN, I bet it wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

DVD was huge for the PS2 because of when that console launched. You could play DVDs on Xbox and it did nothing for that system.

I think the more realistic reason for GCN's failure is that there isn't room for three traditional consoles in the market.

It wasn't the ultimate core Nintendo experience by any means. The N64 and SNES were.

Debatable. I'd put the NES above both of those, for example.

Philippo

On top of my head, what i expect from launch line-up:
Zelda BotW
Animal Crossing NX
Mario Party NX
Smash Bros HD (WiiU ver.@60fps)
Mario Maker HD (digital)
Mario Kart 8 (digital)

+ 3rd parties like Injustice 2, Lego SW, Battlefield 1, Watch_Dogs 2, World of FF etc.

For the rest of the year:
Mario NX
Pokémon Star
Pokken HD

+ 3rd parties like MonHun Stories HD, Dragon Quest XI (still don't know which ver.) etc.

For the future games like Metroid, Donkey Kong and Kid Icarus NX, Splatoon 2, Monolith's next game, and 3rd parties like Bravely Third, MonHun 5, Devil Summoner 3, Inazuma Eleven Ares and that new mecha game from L5.

Neiteio

That is like the dream, but imagine they did that... no one would have time to play all the levels.

If I did a 3D All Stars I would get rid of the hub worlds and just have the ability to play all the levels from those games instead (maybe with a new overworld and level selection resembling 2D games). That would be a lot more similar to the pick up and play nature of the previous All Stars game on the SNES.
Getting rid of the hub worlds for a Mario 3D All-Stars would be horrible. That's the most ridiculous and back-asswards idea I've ever heard, lol.

Teletraan1

Banned

GCN failed because it was late to the party that PS2 was dominating. The OG Xbox failed too but you didn't see Microsoft just fucking off into obscurity. That generation is one hell of a lousy benchmark as to the success or failure of certain initiatives by any company not named Sony.

GCN failed because it was late to the party that PS2 was dominating. The OG Xbox failed too but you didn't see Microsoft just fucking off into obscurity. That generation is one hell of a lousy benchmark as to the success or failure of certain initiatives by any company not named Sony.

Neither did Nintendo.

AgeEighty

PS2 didn't truly take off until right around the launch period for GameCube and Xbox, though. Sony had managed to get into some homes via the whole DVD Trojan horse, but it was GTAIII that really propelled them ahead, which came out just a month before the other consoles launched. Had Nintendo or Microsoft managed to have that game at launch, things could have played out a bit differently.

KingJ2002

That's one reason but when you compound these:

- Lack of DVD
- No Online Support
- No Hard Drive Support
- Controller Design

With a late launch and a "kiddie" image which was damning at the time... Nintendo gets 3rd place.

That's one reason but when you compound these:

- Lack of DVD
- No Online Support
- No Hard Drive Support
- Controller Design

With a late launch and a "kiddie" image which was damning at the time... Nintendo gets 3rd place.

I actually don't think these reasons had anything to do with it. DVD would have been a factor for sure if GCN had launched in 2000. MS had all four bullet points and only managed to sell a couple million more units The "kiddie" image however, certainly played a factor. I'll never understand the decision to release a purple console.

I think the reality is that the market isn't all that interested in a traditional core-focused Nintendo console anymore.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Plot twist: The NX version of BoTW being the actual inferior version, at least in terms of graphics because of the handheld nature that NX is rumored to have...

I don't think that is a plot twist at all, and in fact is the likely situation. We still have yet to hear anyone say the NX version will have better graphics.

AgeEighty

I don't think that is a plot twist at all, and in fact is the likely situation. We still have yet to hear anyone say the NX version will have better graphics.

Not buying that. They'd have to try pretty hard to come out with a new console four years after the Wii U that's less powerful. And the context of the "industry-leading chips" comment from Nintendo was that they didn't want to make something people felt was grossly underpowered.

Teletraan1

Banned
Neither did Nintendo.

Typical Nintendo Stan. Ignore the meat of the argument that actually matters to the discussion at hand and focus on worthless details. I can edit that out but you won't actually comment on what I said.

PS2 didn't truly take off until right around the launch period for GameCube and Xbox, though. Sony had managed to get into some homes via the whole DVD Trojan horse, but it was GTAIII that really propelled them ahead, which came out just a month before the other consoles launched. Had Nintendo or Microsoft managed to have that game at launch, things could have played out a bit differently.

All post 3D generations took a while to take off. PS2 already had everyone's mind share before GCN or anyone else even showed up to the party or was already in a cab home. (Sega)

That one game was not going to turn the tides. maybe if they got the other mountain of games that the other 2 systems did not maybe it would have been different but that only proves peoples point. If it could have been different then why not try again when the deck isn't so stacked?

AgeEighty

That one game was not going to turn the tides. maybe if they got the other mountain of games that the other 2 systems did not maybe it would have been different but that only proves peoples point. If it could have been different then why not try again when the deck isn't so stacked?

It's easy to forget now (Jesus it's been 15 years), but that one game absolutely did turn the tides. I was working in games retail at the time, and I can tell you without exaggeration that probably a good 2 to 3 out of 5 questions I answered during not only that holiday season but the half year beyond were about GTAIII (and knowing how many different questions people can have about gaming, that's a lot). During that holiday season we'd receive shipments of over a hundred copies and sell through them within a day. People would grill us for info on when a new shipment would arrive. And while stock improved after the holidays, its popularity didn't for close to a year after that. I'd tell people the relative merits of each console, and all they wanted to know was where they could play Grand Theft Auto. It was a phenomenon.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
You guys expecting 8 first party launch titles have got to be delusional or are trolling. They won't choke out third party launch titles Day 1.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

The smaller size of the discs certainly affected the quality of GC ports. There was zero reason for them. They were different for the sake of being different. The damn thing was also purple and had a handle. It was more powerful, but it certainly wasn't used. Playstation simply had more games, better games, bigger games and ripped the mindshare from Nintendo back during PS1/N64 and it carried over.

The smaller size of the discs certainly affected the quality of GC ports. There was zero reason for them. They were different for the sake of being different. The damn thing was also purple and had a handle. It was more powerful, but it certainly wasn't used. Playstation simply had more games, better games, bigger games and ripped the mindshare from Nintendo back during PS1/N64 and it carried over.

But a PS4-level Nintendo console in 2017 is going to succeed?

AgeEighty

The GC discs were different because Nintendo felt it would hold back piracy, because it allowed them to avoid paying fees to the DVD Consortium, and because it allowed them to continue chasing the media format licensing model they were so reluctant to give up on with cartridges. Which, of course, was one of the major reasons they alienated third parties in those days.

Kintaro

But a PS4-level Nintendo console in 2017 is going to succeed?

Depends. They could have an impact of the console was desirable, got 3rd parties on board and filled the Family Friendly niche well. This is a GIGANTIC hole that needs to be filled in the market but doesn't need to be filled with gimmick bullshit. A console that specializes in Nintendo based, offline and online co-op games with a bit of modern tech and a decent HDD? And a good price?I could see it.

Nintendo doesn't need to chase power to compete. PS4 level will be "standard" for another 4-6 years in the market. The tech is old too.

KingJ2002

I actually don't think these reasons had anything to do with it. DVD would have been a factor for sure if GCN had launched in 2000. MS had all four bullet points and only managed to sell a couple million more units The "kiddie" image however, certainly played a factor. I'll never understand the decision to release a purple console.

I think the reality is that the market isn't all that interested in a traditional core-focused Nintendo console anymore.

Microsoft's console was unappealing due to the company's brand (no one wanted a PC in the living room... remember that rhetoric?) but they worked through that with aggressive marketing, acquisitions, exclusive deals and the success of Halo (along with many other first person shooters).

Nintendo on the other hand shot themselves in the foot with third parties due to their disc size and absent online support. Games such as GTA, MGS, FFX, DMC, and many other titles did not see the light of day on Nintendo's console skewing their demographics towards the youth which represented a minority stake in the market.

The console color was not the biggest issue... outside of the handle... the console came in three colors... purple, orange and black... then eventually gold, and platinum. If people wanted a console to match their living room setup the black was available.

Controller design definitely alienated their console as well...

With the NX Nintendo has to realize that traditional control schemes need to be supported.

With Nintendo creaing the Nintendo Network i doubt online will ever be an issue again... but if they can deliver a system that can produce current gen graphics (doesn't have to be at the high end... but must look comparable on TV's) and a controller scheme that is more traditional than unique... I believe the NX will sell particularly well... especially in areas like Japan where game industry has slowed down and skewed towards a mobile market.

Depends. They could have an impact of the console was desirable, got 3rd parties on board and filled the Family Friendly niche well. This is a GIGANTIC hole that needs to be filled in the market but doesn't need to be filled with gimmick bullshit. A console that specializes in Nintendo based, offline and online co-op games with a bit of modern tech and a decent HDD? And a good price?I could see it.

Nintendo doesn't need to chase power to compete. PS4 level will be "standard" for another 4-6 years in the market. The tech is old too.

A system you're describing sounds great to me on a personal level, but it also sounds like something that would top out at around 15-20 million units.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So, you actually believe the NX will output inferior visuals than Wii U?

On the handheld? It's possible. I think there's a likely chance the game looks worse on the handheld and identical to Wii U on TV.

Kintaro

A system you're describing sounds great to me on a personal level, but it also sounds like something that would top out at around 15-20 million units.

Eh whatevs. We're just shooting the shit. =)

In gaming, you can make comebacks and you can fuck up. Every platform holder has fucked up. Some even multiple times. Some come back.

The only thing holding Nintendo back is Nintendo.

Servbot24

Banned
It failed for a variety of reasons. Partly because of bad aesthetic and marketing decisions. And partly because the first-party line up faltered greatly from the Nintendo 64, and it had slim picking of third-party exclusives.

GC absolutely dominated N64 in terms of exclusive line up. N64 was pathetic.

maxcriden

On top of my head, what i expect from launch line-up:
Zelda BotW
Animal Crossing NX
Mario Party NX
Smash Bros HD (WiiU ver.@60fps)
Mario Maker HD (digital)
Mario Kart 8 (digital)

+ 3rd parties like Injustice 2, Lego SW, Battlefield 1, Watch_Dogs 2, World of FF etc.

For the rest of the year:
Mario NX
Pokémon Star
Pokken HD

+ 3rd parties like MonHun Stories HD, Dragon Quest XI (still don't know which ver.) etc.

For the future games like Metroid, Donkey Kong and Kid Icarus NX, Splatoon 2, Monolith's next game, and 3rd parties like Bravely Third, MonHun 5, Devil Summoner 3, Inazuma Eleven Ares and that new mecha game from L5.

If you expect that many first party games at launch, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Nintendo has never had that many FP games at launch.

Philippo

If you expect that many first party games at launch, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Nintendo has never had that many FP games at launch.

Really? Half of those would be ports of old games, one a WiiU co-developed title and just two of them would be brand new NX titles, doesn't really seems that much imho.

psyfi

Banned
They've, sadly, always done some dumb shit to gimp themselves.
I dunno, I see Nintendo's history and think
Thankfully they've always done new things to differentiate themselves.
I think Nintendo has made some huge blunders, but I also love how bold and imaginative they are. And I love how they don't try to just appeal to the rigid, boring rules that apparently appeals to "core gamers".

I dunno, I'm not so sure that a more traditional Nintendo console couldn't work. The PS2 was a fucking beast that neither Nintendo or MS could ever hope to rival. That gen wasn't really a fair fight.

But it's kind of irrelevant, because I don't think Nintendo has any interest in trying to win that race, or even compete in it.

openrob

I know there have been like 100 threads, but can I just say I am super excited for the NX, and it's cool to be back into the lead up to a console reveal.

I mean, the 3DS reveal doesn't feel that far off haha.

maxcriden

Really? Half of those would be ports of old games, one a WiiU co-developed title and just two of them would be brand new NX titles, doesn't really seems that much imho.

Unfortunately, yeah, I think so. I'd be glad to be wrong but it would be unlike Nintendo's MO in the past, especially since usually their ports involve significant changes or new content.

ReyVGM

Not exactly a sequel, but...

Super_Mario_64_DS_Coverart.png

In hindsight, it's weird Wario was even playable in this remake.

Now that you mention it, it's true. Aside from Mario Land 2, Wario has never been in another (traditional) Mario game until SM64.
Wario went on to star in his own games with very distinct world and style, so it's kinda weird seeing him playable in a Mario game.

Macka

"Eiji Aonuma has told Tom Phillips at Eurogamer that the Nintendo NX version of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be the same experience but will feature improved visuals."

He was probably referring to the docked mode of the NX, but that's fine. Better graphics than Wii U at home, and comparable graphics to Wii U on the go sounds great to me.

"Eiji Aonuma has told Tom Phillips at Eurogamer that the Nintendo NX version of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be the same experience but will feature improved visuals."

He was probably referring to the docked mode of the NX, but that's fine. Better graphics than Wii U at home, and comparable graphics to Wii U on the go sounds great to me.

Source for this? I remember seeing a similar tweet which was just the journalist assuming he meant improved visuals, when he said nothing about the visuals.

Either way, as of now docked mode isn't necessarily a thing, but it's highly unlikely that the NX won't be at the very lowest close to 2x more powerful than a Wii U, even on battery. So it should be be improved visuals no matter what.

Doctre81

Source for this? I remember seeing a similar tweet which was just the journalist assuming he meant improved visuals, when he said nothing about the visuals.

Either way, as of now docked mode isn't necessarily a thing, but it's highly unlikely that the NX won't be at the very lowest close to 2x more powerful than a Wii U, even on battery. So it should be be improved visuals no matter what.

Damn actually he said "different visuals" not better lol

Macka

I found a tweet where Tom was asked about the difference, and he actually said 'different' visuals. All of the other sites have reported on it as 'improved' visuals though, so I'm unsure if this was the original source...and there's no clarification from Tom on his twitter. At the very least he still seems to have taken Aonuma's comments to mean the visuals would be 'improved' based on other replies. He says:

"No but didn't need to! Wii U version is beautiful but feels like better hardware will benefit it. Some low textures, pop-in"

I guess it's unclear for now.

I found a tweet where Tom was asked about the difference, and he actually said 'different' visuals. All of the other sites have reported on it as 'improved' visuals though, so I'm unsure if this was the original source...and there's no clarification from Tom on his twitter. At the very least he still seems to have taken Aonuma's comments to mean the visuals would be 'improved' based on other replies. He says:

"No but didn't need to! Wii U version is beautiful but feels like better hardware will benefit it. Some low textures, pop-in"

I guess it's unclear for now.

I'm pretty sure the "different visuals" part is completely his speculation. Not that I think the NX version won't have improved visuals, but it's pretty clear Aonuma never actually said this.

Rodin

I'm pretty sure the "different visuals" part is completely his speculation. Not that I think the NX version won't have improved visuals, but it's pretty clear Aonuma never actually said this.
I believe Reggie hinted at different visuals for Breath of the Wild in his interview with iJustine.

Top Bottom