• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Mario & Pokemon coming within 6 months of NX launch, 3rd parties, exec comment

Neoxon

Why should the nx just be like "every video game system ever"? We need to start holding these companies to a higher standard and they need to give us killer apps fresh out of the gate.
And completely front-load the NX's first year? You have to leave a few big games for the rest of the year.

Raiden

Banned
I know im in the minority herz but i would love a Mario Sunshine 2. Or at least a Mario with bigger levels with lots of climbing and exploring.

I know im in the minority herz but i would love a Mario Sunshine 2. Or at least a Mario with bigger levels with lots of climbing and exploring.
I don't want Sunshine 2 but I do want another game thats like Sunshine in a way where they mainly focus on one element like Sunshine's water. Give me an all ice or lava Mario game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't want Sunshine 2 but I do want another game thats like Sunshine in a way where they mainly focus on one element like Sunshine's water. Give me an all ice or lava Mario game.

That would be Sunshine 2, a Mario game restricted by enforcing a theme and a gimmick on 90% of the game. While a really good game in its own right, it left a sour taste in the mouth of those who expected something like SM64's next evolution.

Neiteio

Gimme a Super Mario 3D All-Stars

- Super Mario 64 (Remake)
- Super Mario 64 DS (Remake)
- Super Mario Sunshine (HD)
- Super Mario Galaxy (HD)
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (HD)
- Super Mario 3D Land (HD)
- Super Mario 3D World

And gimme a Pokemon Eclipse. Buck tradition and give us that third version early on NX. Same engine but running in HD (hd models are already available, so why not) at 60 fps with enhanced lighting and shadows, lots of texture filtering and anti-aliasing, etc. Give it some exclusive Mega Evolutions and Alola Forms and make it cross-compatible with the 3DS games for trading and battling.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So, pessimistic view:

Zelda BotW downgrade edition
Pokemon S/M straight port
Mario Maker port
Sonic Project 17
Just Dance 2017
Injustice 2 late port
Skylander Imaginators late port
Dragon Quest X streming versions from 3DS
Dragon quest XI 3ds port

Optimistic view:

Zelda BotW upgrade edition
Pokemon "Rainbow"
Super Mario Galaxy 3
Sonic Project 17
Just dance 2017
Beyond good and evil 2
For Honor
Injustice 2 GotY edition with Pokken character ( :\ )
Skylander Imaginators Nintendo edition (all amiibo recognized in-game :\ )
Dragon quest X and XI PS4 versions

I still stand here. of course there could be a "middle ground view" with, for example, a straght port of Sun/Moon but a new Mario anyway.
fact is: saying what that article says, is say basically...nothing.

Raitaro

Gimme a Super Mario 64 sequel where I can play as Wario besides Mario!

Hey I'm with you on this!

...but don't really see it happening :-(

The best we can hope for is to get any fully 3D Mario at all, one where the focus again lies on both platforming and exploration and where the camera is behind Mario instead of above him (which always made the the Galaxy and 3D World games feel a bit backwards to me personally). Any new Wario platformer would be fantastic as well of course!

I can't help but feel soured still by the fact that Nintendo probably have pushed a lot of Wii U games to the NX behind the scenes these past years (except for Zelda since they made the mistake of already showing that one I guess...), which simply isn't fair to Wii U owners who had to put up with a very shitty release schedule overall as well as many unfulfilled hopes and desires, but if we'd at least get an old school European SNES style well stocked NX launch window / first year out of it with many major IP's hitting shelves month after month, then I'm likely to forgive them for it (weak as I am).

Gimme a Super Mario 64 sequel where I can play as Wario besides Mario!

Not exactly a sequel, but...

Super_Mario_64_DS_Coverart.png

In hindsight, it's weird Wario was even playable in this remake.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't consider 2 years annual, but what do I know.

They said 1 to 2 years are off the table. To begin with, 'generations' will still exist, so development on games doesn't have to restart every 3 years. It will be six year large cycles with a smaller iterative jump based on the previous numbered unit in the middle.

Eradicate

MCV still hasn't updated the story and still says singular "controller." No word on editor guy's Twitter about it either. I don't want to start a Twitter account to just harass random video game editors either, but if anyone else wants to, please ask him, haha!

Anything using cellular/gps probably won't work though. So Miitomo might be fine but Pokémon GO is a no go.

That's true. But, I wonder if they could just use the 3/4G and GPS in your phone instead and just transmit it to the system? Kind of like a smartphone/smartwatch scenario?

We will get a Doug button instead.

enhanced-buzz-22926-1335290591-7.jpg

People keep going on about analog triggers, but I'm more in favor of the return of the Doug button.

Better hope the Sterling recovers by the time the NX launches then otherwise Nintendo will be eating heavy loses just to please UK retailers.

Übermatik;212450660 said:
images.jpg

If I can get the NX, a purportedly XBONE-PS4 level portable system, for less than £200, then holy shit I'm happy.

LOL!! It'd work out pretty good for you all for once!

What, what happened to Jim?

EDIT: OH not THAT Sterling!

LOL!!!

Portugeezer

Gimme a Super Mario 3D All-Stars

- Super Mario 64 (Remake)
- Super Mario 64 DS (Remake)
- Super Mario Sunshine (HD)
- Super Mario Galaxy (HD)
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (HD)
- Super Mario 3D Land (HD)
- Super Mario 3D World

That is like the dream, but imagine they did that... no one would have time to play all the levels.

If I did a 3D All Stars I would get rid of the hub worlds and just have the ability to play all the levels from those games instead (maybe with a new overworld and level selection resembling 2D games). That would be a lot more similar to the pick up and play nature of the previous All Stars game on the SNES.

Teletraan1

Banned
I will never get the obsession with console Pokémon. It'd be cool, but I'm not dying for it.

I'll be happy with Sun/Moon ports, but I'm secretly hoping it'll be an early surprise Pokémon Eclipse release.

For me I dislike the ergonomics of portable consoles and have little interest in the portable features of the Pokemon games, they can be approximated over the internet imo. I would love a version that isn't a spin off to play at home.

Sure, if you are a handheld gamer and are playing the games already then there is no appeal. For me, not the case. I haven't played a Pokemon game since I realized that I didn't like playing games for more than a few minute stretches on my DS due to the ergonomics of the device. For me the NX is shaping up to be what I have always wanted. Now I will be able to enjoy the games and genres (jrpgs) that have been held ransom on portable consoles for years.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So, pessimistic view:

Zelda BotW downgrade edition
Pokemon S/M straight port
Mario Maker port
Sonic Project 17
Just Dance 2017
Injustice 2 late port
Skylander Imaginators late port
Dragon Quest X streming versions from 3DS
Dragon quest XI 3ds port

Optimistic view:

Zelda BotW upgrade edition
Pokemon "Rainbow"
Super Mario Galaxy 3
Sonic Project 17
Just dance 2017
Beyond good and evil 2
For Honor
Injustice 2 GotY edition with Pokken character ( : )
Skylander Imaginators Nintendo edition (all amiibo recognized in-game : )
Dragon quest X and XI PS4 versions

Edited with SE games

Why would Zelda NX be a downgrade? Even with only the X1 it would put the NX far above the Wii U.

I just don't think "smartphone gamers" want any part of another device filling up their pockets/purses. Plus people who actively use their phones for gaming already have what they need. Short, quick, and on the go experiences.

I was always pretty excited for smartphone gaming, I thought it would be the perfect jrpg/srpg space. Now I can't name a single good or even decent one on phones that isn't a port of a game I've already played. It's a sad situation and I really did think it would be so much better.

They said 1 to 2 years are off the table. To begin with, 'generations' will still exist, so development on games doesn't have to restart every 3 years. It will be six year large cycles with a smaller iterative jump based on the previous numbered unit in the middle.

No, this is not how the concept was sold. Whatever prospective ps5 that'll exist in 2 or 3 years will be an iterative upgrade on the Neo, and the ps5k will be an iterative upgrade on that, all with forward compatibility in mind for a certain number of years per device. The idea of generations are dead, and that goes even for Nintendo.

That is like the dream, but imagine they did that... no one would have time to play all the levels.

If I did a 3D All Stars I would get rid of the hub worlds and just have the ability to play all the levels from those games instead (maybe with a new overworld and level selection resembling 2D games). That would be a lot more similar to the pick up and play nature of the previous All Stars game on the SNES.

You think so? SMB3 and World (if you got that version of All Stars) both have overworlds. Sure, the 3D Mario overworlds are much more robust, I think they are levels themselves. I do, however, think a kind of remix mode would be awesome.

With the popularity of GO and the original 151 getting all the attention, maybe Nintendo and Gamefreak should capitalize and release a Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow remake for NX. I know we already had one on GBA, but this one will be in HD, and full 3D

With the popularity of GO and the original 151 getting all the attention, maybe Nintendo and Gamefreak should capitalize and release a Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow remake for NX. I know we already had one on GBA, but this one will be in HD, and full 3D

Personally I expect Sun/Moon ports, but this would be awesome! Plus if they already have the engine and assets, it might be a bit easier to get the ball rolling.

Who knows, though!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers."

And my interest in them keeps shrinking. I thought that with the U being a comparative disaster maybe they'd go back to trying to appeal to the crowd that wants a great traditional Nintendo console again, but clearly they're going even further in the direction they started moving toward with the U's tablet controller instead. I don't see it working this time either. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to buy one anyway, because I just cannot miss BotW. But that's me, the vast majority of gamers and people in general don't give two shits about Zelda.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, this is not how the concept was sold. Whatever prospective ps5 that'll exist in 2 or 3 years will be an iterative upgrade on the Neo, and the ps5k will be an iterative upgrade on that, all with forward compatibility in mind for a certain number of years per device. The idea of generations are dead, and that goes even for Nintendo.

Nah. The Neo is a tiny upgrade, the PS5 will be a generational leap again. It's not the same.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The smartphone market is shrinking. I see more and more people going back to dummyphones.

Lol? I don't remember the last time I saw a feature phone. A "phone" is a smartphone now, it's the default.

Maybe I just didn't get the joke.

AdanVC

Plot twist: The NX version of BoTW being the actual inferior version, at least in terms of graphics because of the handheld nature that NX is rumored to have...

G.ZZZ

Why would Zelda NX be a downgrade? Even with only the X1 it would put the NX far above the Wii U.

Thermal constraints of an handheld and Nintendo general cheapness could easily put the NX below the WiiU in term of performances.

"Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers."

And my interest in them keeps shrinking. I thought that with the U being a comparative disaster maybe they'd go back to trying to appeal to the crowd that wants a great traditional Nintendo console again, but clearly they're going even further in the direction they started moving toward with the U's tablet controller instead. I don't see it working this time either. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to buy one anyway, because I just cannot miss BotW. But that's me, the vast majority of gamers and people in general don't give two shits about Zelda.

The Wii U was designed and touted as a core machine. Nintendo assumed the Wii "casual" audience would want to upgrade, so they designed the Wii U with the goal to recapture the core while retaining the casual. That didn't work for many, many reasons. Doubling down on the casual market is by far the better option.

As an aside, I like to remind people who want a super powered Nintendo box that if Nintendo had a failure on the level of the PS3 they would very likely not exist today. They don't have dozens of other divisions to fall back on if their gaming division loses mass amounts of money.

So stop expecting something that's never going to happen

Oxn

The Wii U was designed and touted as a core machine. Nintendo assumed the Wii "casual" audience would want to upgrade, so they designed the Wii U with the goal to recapture the core while retaining the casual. That didn't work for many, many reasons. Doubling down on the casual market is by far the better option.

As an aside, I like to remind people who want a super powered Nintendo box that if Nintendo had a failure on the level of the PS3 they would very likely not exist today. They don't have dozens of other divisions to fall back on if their gaming division loses mass amounts of money.

So stop expecting something that's never going to happen

Mobile devision

Mobile devision

Fair point, if their mobile division (and theme park/restaurant/QoL businesses) start to rake in lots of cash they might one day in a decade or two decide to put out a cutting edge dedicated console potentially at a loss.

I wouldn't count on that anytime soon though (or likely at all).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
As I packed up my Wii U to sell off (because I don't play it and could use the money for other stuff), I lament that we will never get a traditional Nintendo console again. Which I think people would honestly actually go for. It wouldn't need to compete power wise, but just be something capable in the console space.

- Decent Power
- A good sized HDD
- Good Online
- Focus on Traditional Nintendo games both at Retail and Online VC (with crossbuy)
- Good Price

I think something like that would honestly surprise more people than otherwise with modern Nintendo. Now, when you say "Nintendo" people tend to think "What's the gimmick?" How about the gimmick being a good, family friendly/oriented console? Not a day goes by where I don't get parents in my store asking about family friendly, co-op titles and where they went.

Eh, I'm rambling here. I think there is a place for Nintendo there. A big place. With a console with the right price and right games, they could dominate. But they see otherwise so...ah well. Maybe NX will surprise and end up filling that spot. I just think people are tired of Nintendo's gimmick shit. Pokemon remains popular because it's a solid, fun turn based RPG with fun characters to collect, min/max and share with friends. At this point, Pokemon has outgrown Nintendo.

I thought that with the U being a comparative disaster maybe they'd go back to trying to appeal to the crowd that wants a great traditional Nintendo console again

Yeah, that Gamecube audience sure was massive.

*waits for reasons why Gamecube doesn't count*

A traditional console from Nintendo has no place in the market.

MacTag

Banned
Thermal constraints of an handheld and Nintendo general cheapness could easily put the NX below the WiiU in term of performances.
Not if alpha kits are using an actively cooled X1. Every leak we've gotten implies it's above Wii U capability.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Yeah, that Gamecube audience sure was massive.

*waits for reasons why Gamecube doesn't count*

A traditional console from Nintendo has no place in the market.

Only because they don't want a place in that market. Nintendo hasn't had a traditional console since the SNES. They've, sadly, always done some dumb shit to gimp themselves.

Only because they don't want a place in that market. Nintendo hasn't had a traditional console since the SNES. They've, sadly, always done some dumb shit to gimp themselves.

Not true at all, unless you think GCN failed primarily because of smaller discs.

GCN was more powerful than PS2 and featured an incredible lineup during its first two years. You could even buy one for $99 before its second birthday. It was pretty much the ultimate "core" Nintendo experience and it failed. There is absolutely no room for a third traditional box (fourth if you want to count PC) in the marketplace.

Top Bottom