• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Mario & Pokemon coming within 6 months of NX launch, 3rd parties, exec comment

ReyVGM

Could it be possible that Nintendo and Gamefreak are finally filling people's wishes and will release a proper console Pokemon RPG or MMO?

Prisoner

image.php

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This is rediculous. BotW plus whatever on day one and Mario and Pokémon coming later is perfectly fine.
Yeah... plenty of unrealistic expectations in this thread. Expecting like 4-5 first party heavy hitters when developing a Top Tier console game nowadays takes like 2-3 years.

CrazyHorse

“It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That’s going to be a big job for the marketing department.”

I know that most of you seem happy with this, but I feel sad that the best developer on earth does not use the best hardware.

I miss the days of N64.

LoveCake

You don't understand.

You said you fell for this with WiiU.

There was no rumour/announcement of Pokemon for WiiU.

There was no rumour/announcement of Zelda for WiiU launch.

NSMBU was announced for and released WiiU at launch.

The hell did you fell for?

I fell for what Nintendo said pre-launch in regards to the WiiU software.

Son, even the PS4 didn't fucking do that.

Don't you think that Nintendo and it's third parties have had long enough to prepare for the NX release, and Nintendo know that they have to release a bunch of games day one? there cannot be anymore game droughts.

People knew that there would be incoming games and that the PS4 and X1 would be fully supported and have lots of games released in the first few months, is this going to be the case for the NX.

I am sorry for derailing this thread.

Hi, people that think there should be a traditional Pokemon MMO because it would be successful

How have the last ten years under that rock been for you

Falchion

Wait, what does that tweet wink mean? Is Sun and Moon happening on the NX? I'm going to have to wait and not play it this fall aren't I.

Sadist

Don't you think that Nintendo and it's third parties have had long enough to prepare for the NX release, and Nintendo know that they have to release a bunch of games day one? there cannot be anymore game droughts.

People knew that there would be incoming games and that the PS4 and X1 would be fully supported and have lots of games released in the first few months, is this going to be the case for the NX.

Why are you asking questions which can't be answered at this very moment? At this point in time we only know of a few games that will release on the system for sure and Nintendo hasn't even shown of the system. Just wait.

But here's some friendly advice; if you believe the launch will blow you away, don't.

Assuming NX releases in March, I don't see Mario coming in the first six months.

First eight months, maybe.
Yeah, either Pokemon or Mario will be a November title

WiiU launched with 18 games, it didn't help. It's best to be more realistic, expecting everything day one is bad in many ways

But here's some friendly advice; if you believe the launch will blow you away, don't.

He's not believing anything, he's just not taking bait. And then he puts out an exceedingly large demand on what it'll take for him to fall for it.

Eeven if they COULD have 20+ games available AT LAUNCH DAY, why would they blow their load on launch day. Why wouldn't they parse it out enough to have a full enough launch day and game releases every month to avoid the droughts that killed off the Wii U? "There can't be anymore droughts" If you put everything out first day you're gonna have a drought for god's sake.

Yeah, either Pokemon or Mario will be a November title

WiiU launched with 18 games, it didn't help. It's best to be more realistic, expecting everything day one is bad in many ways

He said no ports.

Sadist

He's not believing anything, he's just not taking bait. And then he puts out an exceedingly large demand on what it'll take for him to fall for it.

Eeven if they COULD have 20+ games available AT LAUNCH DAY, why would they blow their load on launch day. Why wouldn't they parse it out enough to have a full enough launch day and game releases every month to avoid the droughts that killed off the Wii U? "There can't be anymore droughts" If you put everything out first day you're gonna have a drought for god's sake.
Ugh it's night here, this is what I actually wanted to say.

It's just crazy to have a demands list like that, especially if you think back to other launch day releases and more importantly thinking of the current gaming landscape.

imo, The NX needs to launch with about twenty full sized games at launch spread across first party and third party games and at least ten of these not ports or up-grades/dates spread across multiple genres.

I cannot see how the NX cannot release with Zelda: Breath of the Wild and a 'new' Mario game and three or four new Nintendo franchise games on launch day.

Xy7OWdZ.gif

MuchoMalo

Banned
Assuming NX releases in March, I don't see Mario coming in the first six months.

First eight months, maybe.

Same here.

I'm gonna ask this here as well since it's related. Which version of DQXI do you guys predict NX getting? The PS4 version makes the most sense imo since the PS4's user base is smaller in Japan and they need to get a full return on investment, but it might be difficult to port it down.

A handheld that can be plugged in and be played on a TV like a console, so half-yes half-no.
Don't let the details get in the way of a good story.
Yeah... plenty of unrealistic expectations in this thread. Expecting like 4-5 first party heavy hitters when developing a Top Tier console game nowadays takes like 2-3 years.
Even if it was possible, they'd be complaining about the droughts Nintendo blowing its load would cause.

Eolz

Same here.

I'm gonna ask this here as well since it's related. Which version of DQXI do you guys predict NX getting? The PS4 version makes the most sense imo since the PS4's user base is smaller in Japan and they need to get a full return on investment, but it might be difficult to port it down.

PS4 version due to being effectively a portable UE4 version, and as you've said, a good return on investment in japan.
3DS version will still sell the most whatever happens anyway.

gamerMan

I am really not excited for the NX. I am not into portable systems and this concept seems to be more of an extension of the Wii U rather than a brand new concept. It's a novelty for sure and I don't think there is a large enough market for it. With the weak specs, it's not really going after the console market. Plus, I really don't see the smartphone crowd getting this because it is not a phone. Who really wants to carry another portable device in their pocket? It's a system that is targeting the Vita/3DS crowd which is a shrinking market.

I don't think a Mario game coming within 6 months of launch excites me anymore. In fact, this just plain bores me. You don't see Disney making Mickey Mouse movies at every chance they get. Nintendo's strength isn't in making Mario games. It is in developing memorable characters. That's why we love Amiibos. The old Nintendo was great at creating new characters. The new Nintendo thinks they have to make Mario games. Nintendo needs to invent new IP for this generation like Disney has done.

The Wii U launched with a Mario game and I fell asleep playing it. It was good but I felt like I had played it before. Mario Galaxy 2 was really the pinnacle of 3D platformers, I don't really see where Nintendo can go with Mario.

imo, The NX needs to launch with about twenty full sized games at launch spread across first party and third party games and at least ten of these not ports or up-grades/dates spread across multiple genres.

I don't think it has to launch with that many games. Instead, Nintendo needs to show us what is in development sort of like Sony. They could just say we are working on a new Metroid, F-Zero, Wave Race, Punchout, etc . . . Even better, I want to see that they are working on new IP.

MuchoMalo

Banned
PS4 version due to being effectively a portable UE4 version, and as you've said, a good return on investment in japan.
3DS version will still sell the most whatever happens anyway.

Hm... Kinda makes you wonder if they stated making the PS4 version knowing that they would make an NX version as well, huh?

AgeEighty

It just occurred to me that since Nintendo's home and portable game library will be all one, it means that full Pokemon RPGs will finally come to home consoles.

That's pretty fantastic.

The old Nintendo was great at creating new characters. The new Nintendo thinks they have to make Mario games. Nintendo needs to invent new IP for this generation like Disney has done.

Nintendo is always creating new characters. The Splatoon girl is probably one of the most memorable characters of this gen. There had been other successful, like Captain Toad and some not successful like Wonderful101 ones.

But if course there will be new Mario games too.

TZchassis

Curious which formula will this Mario game follow.
- 64 / Sunshine / Galaxy ( less linear / single player ).
- 3D World / 3D Land (linear / local co-op).
- NSMB (2D).

I wish this next installment is a completely new 2D/3D experience or at least a mix of the two 3D platforming types we have now. I hope that we are not getting direct sequels like Galaxy 3 or 3D World 2 (even though I'm certain that both of these will end up being amazing).

psyfi

Banned
As far as first party stuff goes, I'm expecting Zelda, some other really big game, F-Zero GX HD (with a brand new sequel teased), and maybe a Smash 4 port. Plus virtual console stuff.

I think there's a good chance we'll see Pokémon at launch if it's just a Sun / Moon port.

Then some amount of indie games and some third party stuff.

Oersted

Nintendo didn't say anything about NX games outside Zelda.

The fucking hell is wrong with you?

Curious which formula will this Mario game follow.
- 64 / Sunshine / Galaxy ( less linear / single player ).
- 3D World / 3D Land (linear / local co-op).
- NSMB (2D).

I wish this next installment is a completely new 2D/3D experience or at least a mix of the two 3D platforming types we have now. I hope that we are not getting direct sequels like Galaxy 3 or 3D World 2 (even though I'm certain that both of these will end up being amazing).

A new approach to Mario is the goal according to Miyamoto.

Are we allowed to post reddit rumors here? I saw a Youtube video just now showing a Reddit rumor that talks about this new Pokemon game for the NX.

Here's some of the info

The project is being developed by 3 studios and supervised by GameFreak. Its development started a while before Sun/Moon did. It's a huge project and one of the reasons NX was delayed. There is a trailer being prepared for the NX's reveal (which is really soon) but it wouldn't surprise me if they waited until Pokemon Sun/Moon get released first.

-There are difficulty options: New trainer, Adventurer, Veteran Trainer. They adjust the enemy levels,AI and the Pokedollars you get.

The Pokemon models were already ready but there are two sets of textures which are being done from the scratch. New Pokemon forms will have a HUGE role in the game.

The overworld seems to be extremely detailed and a lot of work is done so that battles will feel a lot more immersive.

Customisation is back, you can also unlock items by doing achievements. There are also other achievements similar to what Pokemon GO has.

The idea is to create a character and use it on future installments. You also get an exclusive item by using the Pokemon Bank.

The game takes place in the Kanto area. Expect a complete overhaul of the towns.
The tone of the game goes from happy to mysterious to dark very smoothly and there is a lot focus on the story.

They had some more stuff about the story. I'll add the link if it's allowed.

-Horizon-

Are we allowed to post reddit rumors here? I saw a Youtube video just now showing a Reddit rumor that talks about this new Pokemon game for the NX.

Here's some of the info

Sounds too good to be true...

Rodin

Here's some of the info

Sounds like fanfiction. That's basically a wishlist turned into a "leak".

Hikami

I'm pretty certain I'll buy an NX already because of Zelda but Pokemon X/Y is what got me to buy a 3DS so I'm hoping this is true.
..as long as it isn't just a Sun and Moon port.

Oddish1

Here's some of the info

The only way for that to sound more like some fans wishlist is if they said it was just the original 150 pokemon and it was an mmo.

Maxinas

So is MCV a credible site? If the NX does release in March, i find it out to see a new pokemon and mario game out by september/october next year, instead of the holiday season.

Here's some of the info

And this is coming less than a year after Sun/Moon? Yeah, no.

Sandfox

Here's some of the info

This reads like fanfiction lol.

Top Bottom