• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Mario & Pokemon coming within 6 months of NX launch, 3rd parties, exec comment

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
A new Xenoblade will take at least 4 years to be made. But I feel like Xenoblade X is very probable to be ported to NX. The Wii U exclusive with the highest budget should be an incentive to try to make more profit on it.

I agree with you on the four year development cycle. I don't see them wasting time (and money) porting over Xenoblade X though. The ceiling just isn't high enough for that title to risk the resources.

I can see this Mario title being Galaxy 3. The team has been silent for a while, and I remember Miyamoto saying he'd like to see it happen.

As for Pokemon, I have no idea what that's all about. I suppose it could be a stadium title or a remake, but I'd be super happy if it was actually a true follow-up to Pokemon Snap.

I think we'd all better get ready for this break-apart gaming device, as more and more places corroborate that information. I have some genuine concerns about the concept but power is the least of them. Will it be comfortable and intuitive are the biggest questions on my mind. I'm also worried Nintendo will sacrifice inputs to make it work the way they want it to.

Dr. Worm

Banned
- It has been four plus years since New Leaf and a year since Home Designer. A new Animal Crossing has to be far in development.
- Development of Splatoon 2 was in all likelihood greenlight once the first sales data hit for the original. That will be closing in on our two years past when NX launches. I would have to imagine that the sequel would be an early year two title at the LATEST.

Wasn't the Splatoon team taken from the AC team? I don't think they'd be working on both at once.

Maybe they'll alternate?

Rodin

A new Xenoblade will take at least 4 years to be made. But I feel like Xenoblade X is very probable to be ported to NX. The Wii U exclusive with the highest budget should be an incentive to try to make more profit on it.

Xenoblade X budget is not even close to the most expensive Wii U titles. I'd love a port though, with improved graphics at 1080p i'd happily pour another 200 hours into that.

Griss

There has never been a game more in need of a 'Director's Cut' than Xenoblade Chronicles X. There's a really good game hidden in amongst all the shit there, and a couple of month's worth of polishing and rejigging some things could help find it.

That said, I don't see it happening either way. It's a niche game that wasn't particularly successful, so why force it?

Super Mario 3D World and A Link Between Worlds were released on THE SAME DAY as well.

Funny, both were strangely similar - flawless base mechanics, yet somewhat unmemorable and too similar to a previous game (3D Land, LttP).

Malakai

And fucking Sony, they don't even support the PS2 or PS3 anymore WTF? I just bought a PSP yesterday and they stopped making games for it already!

After the PS3 was released the PS2 still got very good support in the industry. I guess that is the strength of the Sony PlayStation brand. The last years of the GameCube and N64 were freaking sucky in comparison. (I didn't mean to type Wii but GameCube in the initial statement). Nintendo is constantly saying how they will fix the software shortages yet they have constantly fail at that.

As a Wii U owner, I understand very well that one of the best things they can do as a company is abandon the Wii U. They've saddled themselves with a bad investment, and keeping a trickle of support longer into the future isn't going to make me, or them any happier. The Wii U has some great games, but it's time to move onto something better.

As for the 3DS former owner, I can't wait for them to ditch that thing. The ergonomics are awful. My only fear is that the NX follows in the 3DS's footsteps in build.

You should try the out the 2DS; it is quite comfortable. Also, the XL aren't too bad. The issue is that it keeps happening with Nintendo and its platforms, historically.

People keep talking about the NX having a $200 dollar price point. If this is a handheld-hybrid system, doesn't that just kill the New3DS which is still, well... new? And some people think it will be cheaper than that?

I hope this thing sits at $300. I'd pay $400 even to have decent performance and build. Regardless, exciting things for Nintendo. Finally getting that "console" Pokemon. :p

Sony didn't abandon PS3, it still has some great games coming like Agent and The Last Guardian. Gravity rush 2 is coming too, so Vita's not being left behind either.

MomoQca

Lol. Takahashi said XCX didn't receive AAA funding–more like mid-sized budget. Monolith Soft are very good at managing their budget.

That said, I definitely agree on getting a big NX port. Xenoblade 3 (assuming, of course) is going to see strong sales performance now that the handheld users will have access to the entire Nintendo library.

Koyuga

That's gonna be almost a year after the release of Sun & Moon, so I can believe that being a new mainline Pokemon game, especially if it's just a sequel to SuMo like Black 2 and White 2, or a third version like Platinum. But it could also be a remake of gen 4 or something. Who knows. I'm excited either way.

I sincerely doubt a system that will most likely be coexisting alongside the New 3DS for a while is going to compete with it on price. I'm guessing at least $300-350.

There has never been a game more in need of a 'Director's Cut' than Xenoblade Chronicles X. There's a really good game hidden in amongst all the shit there, and a couple of month's worth of polishing and rejigging some things could help find it.

Man, I started that game a few days ago, and...

well, the first hour and a half was bliss. For all the things I didn't like about the game, the promise of that world just drew me in. I even liked the music for what it was. I was ready to overlook that this was a sci-fi game written by men and women whose exposure to sci-fi couldn't possibly have extended beyond old video games. (for just two years the ark flew through space. at nowhere near light speed, considering it got ganked, and then successfully crash landed on the nearest planet. which just happened to be fucking habitable. ooooooookay)

And then I got to New Los Angeles

and I heard the music
and I heard all that excellent fuckin' well written dialogue and that expert voice acting
and now I'm not playing Xenoblade Chronicles X anymore :(

shit, man, even just JP audio would make this game tolerable for me. I'd probably sell my Wii U version and pick up an NX directors cut if it had just that.

Oddduck

Takahashi said XCX didn't receive AAA funding–more like mid-sized budget. Monolith Soft are very good at managing their budget.

Regardless of the budget, it will still take a long time to make a brand new Xenoblade from scratch.

A remaster would be a good idea. I hope they do it.

Rhuidan

Neo Member

That said, I don't see it happening either way. It's a niche game that wasn't particularly successful, so why force it?

Funny, both were strangely similar - flawless base mechanics, yet somewhat unmemorable and too similar to a previous game (3D Land, LttP).

I thought 3d world was amazing. Getting all the stars and the last 3 levels, what a blast.

I can agree albw wasn't overly special.

look321

Neo Member
Sony didn't abandon PS3, it still has some great games coming like Agent and The Last Guardian. Gravity rush 2 is coming too, so Vita's not being left behind either.

Hm.... I am sorry but The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 are both PS4 games now.
No PS3 or Vita versions.

And Vita has been left behind since ... forever.

Malakai

Would you prefer they kept on supporting two sinking ships?

I wouldn't call the 3DS a sinking ship. The price of the main SKU is ridiculous especially when it doesn't include the charger and a game. (And I say this a owner of two of them) I somewhat understand the Wii U, but the issues with Wii U was that it lacked games in various genres.

The 3DS has been on the market for 5 years...how are they abandoning something that's put its time in?

And the Wii U is dead. They have to move on from Wii U. They're running a business.

5 Years on the market with only constant stream of quality output for about 2.5 years from Nintendo. (mid-late 2011 till end 2013) and (mid-late 2014 till mid 2015). But at least the 3DS had that vs the Wii U. It is like Nintendo never even attempted to cultivate an ecosystem. This whole era felt disjointed.

Dr. Worm

Banned
People keep talking about the NX having a $200 dollar price point. If this is a handheld-hybrid system, doesn't that just kill the New3DS which is still, well... new? And some people think it will be cheaper than that?

I hope this thing sits at $300. I'd pay $400 even to have decent performance and build. Regardless, exciting things for Nintendo. Finally getting that "console" Pokemon. :p

I sincerely doubt a system that will most likely be coexisting alongside the New 3DS for a while is going to compete with it on price. I'm guessing at least $300-350.

The New 3DS/+XL will be two/+and a half years old come March 2017. That's about as old as the DSi was when the 3DS hit.

I'd expect to see current 3DS hardware tank in price once the NX hits.

MomoQca

Regardless of the budget, it will still take a long time to make a brand new Xenoblade from scratch.

A remaster would be a good idea. I hope they do it.

Of course. If they reuse the assets from XCX, it could come out in as early as 2018, but I personally don't expect it until 2019/2020.

I agree with the remaster idea. It would be a good fit for handheld RPG fans.

Peterc

Like nintendo is still into the wii? Right :)

If the nx is that powerfull i still question how long the battery would last when playing..

Review from galaxy s6 says:

Similarly playing a high power game for 30 minutes only saw the battery drop 10%. Yes, the phone warmed up a bit, but 5 hours' hardcore gaming on any phone is a very good result again.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s6-1285636/review/4

While a smartphone still have many other services running in the background, this sounds good, not?

But i know when i use wifi, it's a disaster, it would last maybe a few hours just by using the internet.

Because the battery from a S6 are cheap, couldn't they put 2 batteries instead? Production cost for them would be less than 8$/battery
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YCTNEBC/

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Lol, I didn't say Xenoblade X is a AAA game, Nintendo are trying to keep the budgets well under control.

Xenoblade X budget is not even close to the most expensive Wii U titles. I'd love a port though, with improved graphics at 1080p i'd happily pour another 200 hours into that.

What Wii U exclusive do you think is more expensive?

Skiesofwonder

Wasn't the Splatoon team taken from the AC team? I don't think they'd be working on both at once.

Maybe they'll alternate?

I do remember something being said along those lines so I did a quick google search:

Miyamoto said:
The team that’s designing Splatoon is actually taken from the core Animal Crossing team, so some of the younger staff within the Animal Crossing team, we pulled about 10 of them together and we decided to begin working on Splatoon with that small team.

We’ve also then added the director who did the StarFox 64 3D remake for Nintendo 3DS, and then one of the directors who worked on NintendoLand. They’re all very young team members for us, so they’re very energetic.They’ve been working on music and the design and everything for Splatoon.

https://mynintendonews.com/2014/06/15/the-splatoon-team-consists-of-the-core-animal-crossing-team/

Unless things changed, it sounds like only a small (young) portion of the AC team helped create Splatoon. But then again it's hard to say if they would be able to work on both at the same time, and you also have to factor in the mobile Animal Crossing in development (planned for release later this year).

If they are forced to put one on the backburner, it will be interesting to see which one. They are both hugely successful titles and hardware movers that scratch a different itch, and NX needs both ASAP to develop a diverse userbase to attract more third party developers.

MajorMane

That's gonna be almost a year after the release of Sun & Moon, so I can believe that being a new mainline Pokemon game, especially if it's just a sequel to SuMo like Black 2 and White 2, or a third version like Platinum. But it could also be a remake of gen 4 or something. Who knows. I'm excited either way.

But BW and B2W2 had about a 2 year difference in release dates when you look at the Japanese release dates. The quickest time between games and a third version is GS and Crystal, which is still over year (just barely). This would be 10 months at the latest from the release of Sun and Moon. It seems unlikely to be a direct sequel/third version. (As I do ubt they'd be worked on concurrently.)

i-Jest

No Fire Emblem or Metroid Prime (a real one) doe? Am Sadness.

readImage

we just got two Fire Emblem games this year
well, last year in Japan
, settle down

I remember when we used to get NO Fire Emblems. and also the earlier time we never used to get them

crankycwu5h.gif

Dr. Worm

Banned
Unless things changed, it sounds like only a small (young) portion of the AC team helped create Splatoon. But then again it's hard to say if they would be able to work on both at the same time, and you also have to factor in the mobile Animal Crossing in development (planned for release later this year).

If they are forced to but one on the backburner, it will be interesting to see which one. They are both hugely successful titles and system movers, NX needs both ASAP to develop a nice userbase to attract more third party developers.

Well, they don't need all of their heavy hitters in the first year. They need to save something for year 2, and year 3, and so on until the next generation, or else they'll have droughts. The top three - Mario, Zelda, Pokemon - in the first six months alone, if they pull it off, would be quite a feat in and of itself.

Wasn't Splatoon one of the rumored ports? Maybe they'll port that, work on ACNX in conjunction with ACmobile, and then shift over to Spla2n.

Ridley327

Xenoblade X actually has some fairly deep second-screen involvement with its map (even the Zero Punctuation guy thought it was good). That'd be something of a challenge to port to NX, if only because of that.

To be honest, there's nothing about the second screen implementation in the game that couldn't have been made available as a menu option. I figured that the only reason it wasn't in the game was because they ran out of time to do it, hence why off-TV play in the game is a bit weird.

AntMurda

Maybe they'll alternate?

No. The lead programmer and lead artist who made animal crossing plaza, worked on Splatoon.

The core animal crossing new leaf team doesn't have a single staffer on Splatoon besides the producer. How do you think happy home designer was released 2 months after Splatoon???

Krowley

FE's a major series now. That's why it's getting a mobile game.

Metroid though?

Metroid Is Dead

DONT SAY IT!

You know who needs to make metroid?

The Zelda team. I want a giant, open world, Metroid full of exploration, like a sci-fi BOTW.

But I would also be very happy with another game in the style of Metroid Prime 1 and 2.

Mr.Fusion

I could see Pokemon Sun/Moon getting it 3rd version on NX next fall. If the NX comes out in late March, then Pokemon could come out in October (close to six months within launch). I imagine Nintendo is really pushing their developers and partners to give the NX the strongest launch window lineup possible.

Though I still hope that since the NX and 3DS are both ARM based, the NX may have 3DS BC, with the system placing both screens on one screen, side-by-side, like on DS Virtual Console games on Wii U.

Peterc

DONT SAY IT!

You know who needs to make metroid?

The Zelda team. I want a giant, open world, Metroid full of exploration, like a sci-fi BOTW.

But I would also be very happy with another game in the style of Metroid Prime 1 and 2.

The team that made metroid fusion is still the best one for the job, the most probably doesn't understand the isolation feeling that the game should have.

Skiesofwonder

No Fire Emblem or Metroid Prime (a real one) doe? Am Sadness.

Tanabe wants to develop a new, full-fledged Metroid Prime, he just can't amass the team to do it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

Sadly, I think that boat will sail with the failing of Federation Force. Next-Level Games would be of much better use (financially) to be placed on a sequel for either of their highly successful franchise revamps, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Punchout! (Wii). And it sounds like Retro is deep into development of something that isn't Prime-related.

But I do think we will see a new 2D Metroid title soon. The succssful resurrection of the Metroidvania genre by indies will be too much for Nintendo to ignore forever.

Yeah, assuming most of the teams are still intact after EAD/SPD changed to EPD, there's really no internal team that can make a Metroid game right now.

Damn, son.

I was just about to go buy a 3DS, and then this happens.

What do I do, GAF?! Wait for NX, or buy a 3DS now?!

It's supposedly being revealed next month so just wait until then.

Damn, son.

NX supposedly has no BC and you can get a refurbished 3DS from Nintendo for cheap, so I'd pull the trigger on a 3DS if there are a lot of games on it that interest you.

Bl@de

If it's Galaxy 3 and Breath of the Wild within 6 months I might be interested. But I'm still not convinced about the hardware etc.. Need more information.

MomoQca

Lol, I didn't say Xenoblade X is a AAA game, Nintendo are trying to keep the budgets well under control.

What Wii U exclusive do you think is more expensive?

Umm... You said it had the highest budget for a Wii U exclusive. Why would you make such a claim like that but not classify it as a AAA budget game? I'm certain Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Mario 3D World had a much higher budget.

Peterc

Umm... You said it had the highest budget for a Wii U exclusive. Why would you make such a claim like that but not classify it as a AAA budget game? I'm certain Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Mario 3D World had a much higher budget.

Does AAA equals money or quality?

Slaythe

I think the sudden move to full 3D for Sun and Moon means it's very likely that the NX is getting an "HD" version, or a "eclipse" version with some novelties.

Skiesofwonder

Damn, son.

3DS is heavily rumored to see a price-drop later this year. Wait until then for 3DS, and decide on NX separately.

I say decide separately because the 3DS and NX will be completely different beasts with completely different software lineups. I was just looking through my 3DS software collection yesterday and I had forgotten how many amazing titles the system had accumulated. A lot of them are must-play titles that won't be available elsewhere for quite awhile.

You can also obtain a 2DS for $89 or less right now. At the very least invest in that and pick up some of the cheaper AAA exclusives. It would be well worth your time, and wouldn't break your wallet.

Pretty interesting that the NX being a better graphical handheld/console will force the next Pokemon games to have WAY better graphics than what we have now. At least in terms of resolution.

Top Bottom