• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Mario & Pokemon coming within 6 months of NX launch, 3rd parties, exec comment

The entire purpose of combining their handheld and console divisions was so that they didn't have redundant development- no Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8- but also so that development in general becomes quicker and easier thanks to the ability to share assets and other development resources.

What you are suggesting goes against this philosophy because it requires double the work to be done on a single game, when they could instead make and sell two different games. It also doesn't make sense with what Iwata was saying about letting players in different markets (Japan vs. west) play games in the way that those markets prefer (handheld vs. console). Making it so that those offer different experiences entirely just doesn't make much sense to be honest.
Not really. It'd be no different from how PC games can run on different settings

Asd202

Exactly... except it could happen.

Maybe Nintendo realizes that some people like 3D mario and others prefer 2D mario, for example. This would let them sell a game to both. They're not just spending more to develop, they are increasing the potential sales base. And I bet developing a 2D mobile version of a game is fairly cost-effective compared to a scaled-down port of a full 3D game.

Example of a game for NX that's already kind of like this: https://youtu.be/Ndi_46bKZVQ

Playing on the 'base' connected to the TV would trigger the 'console' version in my guess, since it will likely have more processing power.

The difference here is that DQ XI being on 3DS and PS4 aims for two different markets altogether not to mention the huge gap in power. What's the point of doing it with the same device? You're just raising dev time and development costs and it's something Nintendo wants to avoid that's why they're consolidating both home console and handheld into one device.

Not really. It'd be no different from how PC games can run on different settings

How? He's suggesting that a 3D Mario game will play as a typical 3D Mario game on the NX when docked, but when undocked it changes to a 2D Mario game. That's essentially making 2 different games in one, not simply scaling resolution/graphics/effects. Unless I'm horribly misreading what he is saying.

AdanVC

First 6 months? That's a killer launch line up.

Dammit. Everything about this console sounds amazing. If it delivers on the promise of a console I can take with me and then plug back in to play on my TV at home, I'm sold.

Let's hope so! I feel so letdown as a Nintendo fan lately. They should go big or go home with NX and stop fooling around.

How? He's suggesting that a 3D Mario game will play as a typical 3D Mario game on the NX when docked, but when undocked it changes to a 2D Mario game. That's essentially making 2 different games in one, not simply scaling resolution/graphics/effects. Unless I'm horribly misreading what he is saying.

Oh, I misread. I assumed he was talking about scaling resolution/graphics/effects based on whether it's docked or not. Yeah, a 2d and 3d mario game are going to both be on this device and playable in either mode

AfroDust

Expect nothing other than family stuff from Western third parties. Best case realistic scenario is a ton of Nintendo games, good Japanese support, and family software from Western publishers. Which would still be a pretty good stream of software.

This sounds fine to me. I've got an Xbox One and access to my roommates PS4 for everything else. Still though, I kinda wish we could get ports of the high profile 3rd party stuff to play on the go, but as evidenced by the Wii, even if this thing sells gangbusters I doubt devs are going to want to spend time and money porting their games to less powerful hardware. I'm not sure if the p ower between Tegra X1/Pascal Tegra and the PS4/XB1 is as pronounced as the one between the Wii and PS360, so I guess we'll have to see. As you suggested it is best to keep expectations in check for now.

I think that's exacly what's Nintendo going to get from Western 3rd party devs oh and maybe downgraded AAA games for $60. At the same time though Nintendo is probably ok with it.

I think this post is right on the money.

I'm actually inclined to believe that we won't see many downgraded AAA titles, if we see them at all, for reasons I posted above. I would hope that even if we do they wouldn't be full full priced. I do agree that the games we're likely to see from Western 3rd parties is the family friendly stuff like Just Dance, Lego games and Skylanders type stuff though.

I really hope with everything we're hearing the NX is a standalone handheld with more than Wii U power for $149-$199 and you can buy a dock ($100) separately to connect the NX to the tv for at least X1 visuals.

If Nintendo seriously wants the casual smartphone market, then selling this thing cheap is the way to go being at $149-$199. To satisfy a more core market, then sell a SCD or whatever it may be to get it to at least X1 visuals. It doesn't matter if they have Scorpio visuals at all. Nobody really wants that anyways.

Power level isn't really relevant in this case. What is relevent is that there actually isn't more than one form factor (which does not contradict what Iwata said so don't go pasting those stupid quotes from years ago) and that the NX is a handheld which could be played as a console. Weather or not there will be another console down the line is another matter but it probably won't happen for another couple of years and will not share the same code name. There isn't more to this story, this is the story.

That's cool. I was just talking about people wanting or expecting Neo graphics at this point.

inner-G

Banned

That's what I mean, but having 2 versions doesn't mean it would be 'double work'

A 2D mobile game doesn't nearly as many resources to develop as a 3D console game.

They could have a backend save/progression system that works between the two easily.

I really hope with everything we're hearing the NX is a standalone handheld with more than Wii U power for $149-$199 and you can buy a dock ($100) separately to connect the NX to the tv for at least X1 visuals.

If Nintendo seriously wants the casual smartphone market, then selling this thing cheap is the way to go being at $149-$199. To satisfy a more core market, then sell a SCD or whatever it may be to get it to at least X1 visuals. It doesn't matter if they have Scorpio visuals at all. Nobody really wants that anyways.
This seems suspect to me.

If the tablet could run the full version, why would the dock even be needed? The thing could just have a video-out if that were the case, like a PSP. The fact that it has a TV dock makes me think there is processing horsepower inside the dock itself, which means differences in the home/portable versions.

jmizzal

Not appealing to PS4 fans just means no David Cage-esque games where we press X to Mario. Not a big loss.

Lol i think it means its not a carbon copy of XBox and PS4, which any sane person shouldnt think a Nintendo console will be

Kyzer

Banned
It'd be more plausible that they were working on a remake of another game or something else entirely, though. Why make a sequel to the game that hasn't even gone gold yet and is probably still getting worked on in some fashion?

(For the record, from what I can tell, the shortest time between games and a third version is around a year and few weeks for Crystal. Sun and Moon release in November. If a third version or sequels were being made and release "within 6 months" of a March NX release,then they'd come out at the latest in September next year. That's 10 months.)

I agree it doesn't make any sense and cheapens the impact of a new Pokemon on Nx.

But 6 months after March is September. Lol

These would basically be their holiday games.

Asd202

I would hope that even if we do they wouldn't be full full priced.

We're talking about Video game industry here where they're looking for a way to nickle and dime you every step of the way. Heck I think even Nintendo most games will be $60 because of the option of docking it to a TV.

EDarkness

Yea, because that's stereotyping gamers when there are alot of digital sales on smaller games like alienation, ratchet and clank, preorders for no man's sky are high as well.

There's way more than shooters and third party on PS4. ANd I think demographically Nintendo would be shooting themselves in the foot to get mobile people to buy another device that wont make calls, and what not.

No one wants another tablet, unless the device is suppose to replace what you have and give compelling reasons why it should be your go to device.

Honestly, I think there's a lot of room for overlap which is why I don't like this notion of pouring everything into one basket. People who buy the NX may want to play all kinds of games on their console. I think this is the same for any console/handheld to be honest. As long as there's a nice flow of games in a "variety of genres", I think people will be happy.

If the NX starts to get painted into a corner like the Wii did, then it's gonna be facing an uphill battle right out of the gate. I just don't want to see that happen. I hope developers just make games for it and support them properly and stop trying to overthink stuff.

That's what I mean, but having 2 versions doesn't mean it would be 'double work'

A 2D mobile game doesn't nearly as many resources to develop as a 3D console game.

They could have a backend save/progression system that works between the two easily.

It may not mean double the work but it still requires an inordinate amount of extra work to make a completely different game. A 2D Mario game cannot possibly play the same as a 3D Mario game, by its very nature. Why would they sell one game which does both (and doesn't let you play each version when and where you want, mind you) when they could make two separate games and get two purchases?

It's far simpler and more realistic to simply upclock the portable when docked so that you can achieve similar visuals at a higher resolution and the game experience remains exactly the same between docked and undocked modes.

Papacheeks

Banned
Honestly, I think there's a lot of room for overlap which is why I don't like this notion of pouring everything into one basket. People who buy the NX may want to play all kinds of games on their console. I think this is the same for any console/handheld to be honest. As long as there's a nice flow of games in a "variety of genres", I think people will be happy.

If the NX starts to get painted into a corner like the Wii did, then it's gonna be facing an uphill battle right out of the gate. I just don't want to see that happen. I hope developers just make games for it and support them properly and stop trying to overthink stuff.

My issue will be those flow of games will be strong mobile type games or have mobile functions instead of just being a game you play with a controller.

They need western developers and they need them as part of their studio stable. All I see for conversatoins on games being made for this thing are mostly the Japanese support from 3DS. Those games wont appeal to people in US/UK, and other regions.

No idea what Pokemon could be like. I guess a Sun/Moon port could be possible, but it's hard to imagine a next-gen leap in such a short timeframe.

As for Mario...I'd prefer a 3D Mario that's designed around the system. Doesn't have to be a sequel; in fact, I'd rather it be a new idea.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Exactly... except it could happen.

Maybe Nintendo realizes that some people like 3D mario and others prefer 2D mario, for example. This would let them sell a game to both. They're not just spending more to develop, they are increasing the potential sales base. And I bet developing a 2D mobile version of a game is fairly cost-effective compared to a scaled-down port of a full 3D game.

Example of a game for NX that's already kind of like this: https://youtu.be/Ndi_46bKZVQ

Playing on the 'base' connected to the TV would trigger the 'console' version in my guess, since it will likely have more processing power.

I am not sure if you are serious. 2D mario and 3D mario will literally be 2 vastly different games, and it will probably require twice the resources. If will also limit the choice too. What about the people who want a 3D mario on handheld and 2D mario on console?

They are better off seperately the 3D and 2D mario as 2 seperate games that work on both handheld and console, or bundle both games at twice the price.

inner-G

Banned
No idea what Pokemon could be like.

I'm guessing more of a Stadium/Snap game.

People that were brought in by Pokemon GO aren't necessarily looking for a 'traditional' Pokemon game

Tablet + Pokemon GO engine could make for a pretty good AR-style Snap game

I have a feeling a lot of NX's initial line up is going to consist of ports of late 3DS/Wii U era games. So maybe Sun/Moon port isn't so much of a stretch. Don't see what else it could be, given Sun/Moon are out in November.

As for 3rd parties, I think that's a given. Consoles always receive token 3rd party support at launch. Even Wii U did. This doesn't mean anything unless that 3rd party support lasts well into the consoles second and third years of life.

Either way, the day Nintendo actually promises no droughts and delivers is long overdue.

EDarkness

My issue will be those flow of games will be strong mobile type games or have mobile functions instead of just being a game you play with a controller.

They need western developers and they need them as part of their studio stable. All I see for conversatoins on games being made for this thing are mostly the Japanese support from 3DS. Those games wont appeal to people in US/UK, and other regions.

I don't think mobile games are going to be a huge thing. Not that there won't be one, but I think there will be a good variety of software. There's lots of room for all kinds of gamers to exist on one platform. The problem comes when publishers start pigeonholing the gamers into select genres and spend too much time on "test" games instead of just putting their best foot forward like they do on every other platform. I hope that doesn't happen on the NX....

Oersted

People that were brought in by Pokemon GO aren't necessarily looking for a 'traditional' Pokemon game

Both franchises are dead and spin-offs, which Game Freak does not develop in the first place.

Seil

The article says Game Freak. I doubt they'd specifically mention Game Freak if they had no reason to believe it would be them. And Game Freak doesn't make Stadium/Snap type Pokemon games. They work on the main series.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I have a feeling a lot of NX's initial line up is going to consist of ports of late 3DS/Wii U era games. So maybe Sun/Moon port isn't so much of a stretch. Don't see what else it could be, given Sun/Moon are out in November.

As for 3rd parties, I think that's a given. Consoles always receive token 3rd party support at launch. Even Wii U did. This doesn't mean anything unless that 3rd party support lasts well into the consoles second and third years of life.

Either way, the day Nintendo actually promises no droughts and delivers is long overdue.

I agree. I dont really trust the story on them getting those 3rd party on board, and even if they did, they'll just did a mediocre test token game and never touch it again. Look at the Wii U.

jonno394

Game Freak have no previous with a Pokemon spin off though

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't think mobile games are going to be a huge thing. Not that there won't be one, but I think there will be a good variety of software. There's lots of room for all kinds of gamers to exist on one platform. The problem comes when publishers start pigeonholing the gamers into select genres and spend too much time on "test" games instead of just putting their best foot forward like they do on every other platform. I hope that doesn't happen on the NX....

Wasn't there a thread quoting a analyst or someone saying how mobile would play a big role in this device?

And the fact that this article talks about them trying to grab mobile people, Ubisoft talking about NINTENDO getting back casuals. All kind of points to mobile style games being made by 3DS developers. ANd their console developers like Mario team will put mobile type functions in their AAA first party games.

Kouriozan

Lol i think it means its not a carbon copy of XBox and PS4, which any sane person shouldnt think a Nintendo console will be

Yes, it's time to let it go.
Nintendo will never try to compete against Sony or Microsoft, that also include the softwares.

The article says Game Freak. I doubt they'd specifically mention Game Freak if they had no reason to believe it would be them. And Game Freak doesn't make Stadium/Snap type Pokemon games. They work on the main series.

I certainly hope this is the case. I seriously think it would be a bit of backhanded move to release a "Pokemon" game that isn't actually what Nintendo fans think of as Pokémon. They either need to bring their big guns to bear and make a very good launch, or focus on a totally different series. Capitalizing on new fans from "Go" isn't going to bring them what they want long term, and putting out a Stadium style game is just going to disappoint.

Mory Dunz

When's Yooka Laylee scheduled to come out?

I think Rare trying to get it on NX early would be in their benefit. Sales could be higher if it comes out early and is associated with the "new system" and doesn't get buried later.

edit:
playtonic lol

Pokemaniac

Why? NX is a hybrid based on what we know now, so it'll get a Pokemon eventually

The time frame is wrong. Sun and Moon are launching this fall, so it's too soon for a new generation. Splitting Gen VII across 3DS and NX is also pretty unlikely. That would significantly increase the development costs of Gen VII compared to what they usually are, and introduce potential logistical issues.

When's Yooka Laylee scheduled to come out?

I think Rare trying to get it on NX early would be in their benefit. Sales could be higher if it comes out early and is associated with the "new system" and doesn't get buried later.

edit:
playtonic lol

It was delayed to Q1 2017.

I agree. I dont really trust the story on them getting those 3rd party on board, and even if they did, they'll just did a mediocre test token game and never touch it again. Look at the Wii U.

Yeah homes, not falling into that trap again. The support from Japanese developers should stay the same, relatively speaking. There's not really any reason for that to change, but I legit saw some people in the Eurogamer article thread thinking that it'd be getting easy ports from PS4/XB1. Y'all never learn.

The time frame is wrong. Sun and Moon are launching this fall, so it's too soon for a new generation. Splitting Gen VII across 3DS and NX is also pretty unlikely. That would significantly increase the development costs of Gen VII compared to what they usually are, and introduce potential logistical issues.

Reckon this is a spin-off then? I can't quite make out what this is going to be.

I would normally share your thoughts, but I believe a port of Sun/Moon wouldn't be unreasonable. Nintendo would certainly give Game Freak access to NX dev kits to make Sun/Moon quite some time ago. I just couldn't see them starting the port process after they finish the 3DS versions.

Rumors also point towards NX not being Wii-U or 3DS backwards compatible. That would mark the first time a new Nintendo handheld couldn't play the previous generation's Pokemon games natively.

This better be a main Mario game. I'm hoping it's not "3D World" inspired and is more of its own new thing (64, sunshine, galaxy) and it better not be another "new super mario bros" game.

Pokemon.... yeah.. I'll believe it when I see it. If it's not a port of Sun & Moon then I highly doubt it'll be a new mainline game. I'm not getting my hopes up for this at all.

Zelda + Mario sounds pretty good to me for 2017. If pokemon ends up being legit...then that'll just be awesome

MacTag

Banned
If 3DS and NX can communicate directly it's less of an issue and Bank also helps with that. I also think SunMoon looks nice enough that it'd scale up to HD/qHD resolutions pretty decently with minimal other improvements, maybe just framerate.

There's nothing implausible about any of the publishers named here: three of them have already announced NX games (Sonic, Just Dance, DQX/XI), and the other two have franchises that align well with the traditional Nintendo audience (Skylanders, Lego).

If the article had named Bethesda, 2K, and EA, that would be another story, as none of those publishers have console games targeted at the kids/family/casual audience.

TunaLover

I think the main reason why designed this controller(s) to be attached wasn't because home mode or multiplayer on the go, but to emulate smartphone style gameplay.

In fact, I will overboard here, and I'm willing to bet my tag if I'm wrong, but Nintendo will show it just like the Wiimote with no attachment (nunchuk, pro controller), it will actually look more like a smartphone than a handheld, controller.

MajorMane

If this is true that Game Freak is a developing a game for the NX and so quickly, it will be a first no matter what.

That either means:
  • This is the first port of a main line game to a new hardware that Game Freak has done.
  • This is the first spin off game that Game Freak actively develops.
  • This is the first time Game Freak splits the main line generation games across a hardware difference, whether that means these games are sequels, a third installment, or remakes of previous games.
  • This is the first generation that is literally less than a year long.
They're all equally likely at this point (okay maybe not gen 8) given the lack of information we have.

What is true no matter what (again, if Game Freak is developing a game) is that this will be the quickest they have ever hopped to a new hardware. There has to be a reason behind that, but time will only tell what that reason is.

I think the main reason why designed this controller(s) to be attached wasn't because home mode or multiplayer on the go, but to emulate smartphone style gameplay.

I agree.
Smartphones seem to play in big part in NX design process.
I'm not sure I like it, but this is Nintendo's plan.

Servbot24

Banned
First 6 months? That's a killer launch line up.

Dammit. Everything about this console sounds amazing. If it delivers on the promise of a console I can take with me and then plug back in to play on my TV at home, I'm sold.
Every Nintendo console launch has sounded amazing up until the moment Nintendo announced the console.

Kathian

Banned
This better be a main Mario game. I'm hoping it's not "3D World" inspired and is more of its own new thing (64, sunshine, galaxy) and it better not be another "new super mario bros" game.

Pokemon.... yeah.. I'll believe it when I see it. If it's not a port of Sun & Moon then I highly doubt it'll be a new mainline game. I'm not getting my hopes up for this at all.

Zelda + Mario sounds pretty good to me for 2017. If pokemon ends up being legit...then that'll just be awesome

"I hope it's a main Mario but so long as it's not a main Mario!"

Top Bottom