• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Mario & Pokemon coming within 6 months of NX launch, 3rd parties, exec comment

Neoxon

I guess Nintendo got 3DS-to-NX connectivity to work (which was my main concern about a potential Sun/Moon port). Though seeing as this is within a 6-month window, this could be for Gen 7's sequel game instead. Either way, if this is true, I'm glad that Game Freak's actually being proactive with new hardware for once.

Though Mario also being within the NX's first 6 months is rather insane.

All 3 kinds can co-exist, but the timing is important. A grandiose single player 3D Mario game on the same level as Galaxy would help sell the NX in the launch window much more than another 3D World. They should leave the other two for later when NX is more established.

Totally agreed.

Dystify

I could see them being wrong on the GameFreak part. Where they automatically think Gamefreak with pokémon.

I'd imagine it'd be some sort of launch game in the vein of pokémon Dash etc

Gen V says hi!

Yeah whoops, I just looked at the dates again. Gen V started a few months before 3DS release and only had one other game 1.5 years later. That's pretty much the same situation as we're in right now. In my mind I kinda put Gen IV and V together, since they look so similar...

Volotaire

I would love three Mario titles for the NX:

A "true" single player 3D Mario game, which is a sequel to 64/Sunshine/Galaxy.
Another isometric co-op game, a sequel to Super Mario 3D World/Land.
And another co-op 2D New Super Mario Bros instalment.

I really am craving for a proper 3D game again, but I love all 3 aspects of the franchise.

I'm expecting a new type of 3D Mario game on the NX, given the pattern of 2 games per new structure (Sunshine/64, Galaxy 1+2, 3D land + World) and Miyamoto's comments.

Neoxon

True, but this would splinter their userbase and I know that's not something Game Freak would do.
To be fair, perhaps Nintendo & Game Freak found a way to allow for local trading between the 3DS & the NX. The uncertainty of that feature was the main reason why I thought that an NX port was unlikely (well, that & Game Freak's history with taking their time adopting new hardware).

Delio

Huh so what a quick and dirty Sun and Moon port? Could they crank out a remake in such a small amount of time?

Volotaire

So that they have nothing for 6 months again?

Exactly. They do not want to cannibalise their own sales of their own big titles at launch. A consumer can only purchase so many games on the 'average' disposable income.

And, as Nibel highlights, they still need to pace their titles out so there is a steady stream of releases throughout the console's lifetime.

Zoon

Regarding the Pokemon game, it's been like what ? 1 year since Genius Sonority released their last game and they were recently hiring(according to google translate). My bet is on them.

Neifirst

Good news on the Mario front - it will be have been nearly 3.5 years since 3D World by the time NX launches. Hoping they shy away from something in the NSMB series...

JoeM86

To be fair, perhaps Nintendo & Game Freak found a way to allow for local trading between the 3DS & the NX. The uncertainty of that feature was the main reason why I thought that an NX port was unlikely (well, that & Game Freak's history with taking their time adopting new hardware).

It'd be the online that needs to be combined, too. If they can do cross platform play between 3DS and NX without needing any extra hoops to be gone through, then it's possible. However, is that really likely?

Regarding the Pokemon game, it's been like what ? 1 year since Genius Sonority released their last game and they were recently hiring(according to google translate). My bet is on them.

Shuffle NX or Typing Adventure NX. I'd be fine with both :p

Hegarol

Maybe they heard from a source that a Pokemon game is in the making and assumed it was GF. Can't believe a main game either especially with the missing backwards compatibility.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Pokemon Eclipse for NX , or Sun and Moon 2 maybe? Would hit around a year after vanilla SM if true, so seems around the right time. I can't imagine them changing the engine to meet up with the NX specs for an expansion though. Sounds interesting...

Neoxon

It'd be the online that needs to be combined, too. If they can do cross platform play between 3DS and NX without needing any extra hoops to be gone through, then it's possible. However, is that really likely?
That's why I'm still a bit hesitant to buy into this rumor (more so considering how dated the 3DS's online infrastructure is), but I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to figure this out.

Maybe they heard from a source that a Pokemon game is in the making and assumed it was GF. Can't believe a main game either especially with the missing backwards compatibility.
This would make sense. It would be nice if MCV could elaborate on what they've heard.

Eolz

Sounds good, but targeting smartphone gamers sound like a terrible mistake.
Graphics "between PS3 and PS4" (that's such a big gap that it's too vague to be sure what they mean by that) is disappointing at worst but we're used to it by now...

Mr Swine

Banned
Seeing how each Pokemon spin off games are selling worse after each sequel I hardly think it will be one. If NX can be played on TV I think a real Pokemon game would sell gang busters on NX.

And a NSMB game? It will sell even worse than the Wii U NSMB since the franchise has been on a downward spiral. If they make it a pure 2D game or a new 3ad game I think it will sell great

G.ZZZ

When your portable console is also your home console, what's the difference?

I do think it makes sense for Pokemon to be a port though, would be kinda crazy for them to pump out two Pokemon games in such a short period of time.

The difference is that they can still make games with a more home experience in mind, like Zelda. A 3d marioland variant instead of a new actual 3 platformer. Or even a 2D scroller.

ZeroX03

Banned
There are no rules with Game Freak anymore, they've broken every pattern except the mid gen platform jump at this point.

Six months is what I'd question, a mid gen jump I could understand because Nintendo needs to go all in on MX, but less then a year after Sun and Moon? Holiday 2017 seems like the natural point for a third version(s).

(I don't think remakes are coming anytime soon)

Sadist

The firm has also been busy securing third-party support with Sega, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros already onboard.

- Sonic
- Dragon Quest
- Just Dance
- Skylanders
- Lego games

it fits

Neoxon

Seeing how each Pokemon spin off games are selling worse after each sequel I hardly think it will be one. If NX can be played on TV I think a real Pokemon game would sell gang busters on NX.
But the issue is that by the time the NX drops, most of those who would want Sun/Moon would have already gotten one or both of the games. Or if you want to flip the script, the announcement of an NX port a month before the game's launch would completely throw the 3DS version under the bus (& unlike Zelda: BotW, both versions wouldn't come out at the same time).

SalvaPot

I am getting it anyway, but if they get the machine pumping great games constantly I am going to be so happy.

As for Pokémon its obviously Pokemon XNAP.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Thats not what the article states at all....
Nintendo targeting an audience that sits between smartphone gamers and the more hardcore users of PS4 and Xbox One.

Not to mention that Nintendo is developing games for smartphones and that audience anyway.

Neoxon

There are no rules with Game Freak anymore, they've broken every pattern except the mid gem platform jump at this point.

Six months is what I'd question, a mid gen jump I could understand because Nintendo needs to go all in on MX, but less then a year after Sun and Moon? Holiday 2017 seems like the natural point for a third version(s).

(I don't think remakes are coming anytime soon)
If it's Holiday 2017, then a Gen 8 wouldn't be out of the question (assuming that they're working on Gen 8 right now alongside Gen 7). This would allow for the Diamond/Pearl remakes to be released around Holiday 2018.

Would be a solid way to scare away every 3rdparty from releasing launch software for this thing.

I've heard the claim that Nintendo supposedly avoided releasing anything major for the Wii U at launch to let 3rd parties have the spotlight.

If that's true, it backfired massively. People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. If those games aren't there, people don't buy the console, and therefore won't buy any third party games that happen to also be there. And that's exactly what happened with Wii U. Pikmin 3 getting delayed almost a year past launch really hurt perception of the console.

I've never ever heard of a developer who actually said "Nintendo's quality scares me and makes my games look like crap, So I won't bother with their platforms." It seems like a made-up bogeyman to me.

Graphics "between PS3 and PS4" (that's such a big gap that it's too vague to be sure what they mean by that) is disappointing at worst but we're used to it by now...
How's that a mistake? Plus it said smartphone gamers and core gamers they're going for.

I'm expecting a new type of 3D Mario game on the NX, given the pattern of 2 games per new structure (Sunshine/64, Galaxy 1+2, 3D land + World) and Miyamoto's comments.

God I can't wait to see what they'll come up with.

Mario and Zelda used to be equal for me, but it's amazing how over the last decade the Zelda franchise has dropped in quality so much while the Mario games are insanely consistent.

I am excited for Breath of the Wild though.

Genio88

I hope they'll keep supporting 3DS too though, perhaps with lowered graphics version of some NX first parties games, just bought a 2DS to enjoy all the games i missed on this console

Zalman

If it's Holiday 2017, then a Gen 8 wouldn't be out of the question (assuming that they're working on Gen 8 right now alongside Gen 7). This would allow for the Diamond/Pearl remakes to be released around Holiday 2018.
They can't cut Gen 7 short like that. Pokémon is a cross-media machine. They would have to cut the anime season short too. Ash needs to lose in the league first, y'know.

Delio

Pokemon Eclipse for NX , or Sun and Moon 2 maybe? Would hit around a year after vanilla SM if true, so seems around the right time. I can't imagine them changing the engine to meet up with the NX specs for an expansion though. Sounds interesting...

I suppose pumping out a sequel in a year wouldnt be that hard. But the splitting up the userbase will be interesting to see them solve. Honestly I hope they expand on what this rumored Pokemon is.

Neoxon

They can't cut Gen 7 short like that. Pokémon is a cross-media machine. They would have to cut the anime season short too. Ash needs to lose in the league first, y'know.
Also consider that Alola isn't structured like the average Pokémon region (I.E. No Alolan Pokémon League), so Ash could get through the 4 Island Trails in a season depending on how well they pace the episodes.

Nintendo is going to release their big franchises on NX? I am shocked!!!
Pokémon would be the big surprise, considering that Sun/Moon are coming out this November.

Cartho

This could get me very hyped. It's also a good move - they know that, without the real big hitters, it'll be dead in the water.

The dream of a mainline Pokemon game on my big tv is one step closer.

Top Bottom