• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Mario & Pokemon coming within 6 months of NX launch, 3rd parties, exec comment

Zelda at launch will be strong with the core Nintendo crowd. Nintendo had better be ready to have a strong first year though, none of this just another draught period again like the last few systems followed by comments like 'we've learnt a lesson for the next system!!' at shareholder meetings.

Note: no EA unprecedented partnership 2? Hah.

If sonething im glad of the nx existing as an hybrid is its going to force game freak finaly create a game that looks like a big pokemon adventure in a console.
Or they could still make a game that looks 3 generations behind the console it appears, that wouldnt surprise me :(
At least with sun and moon they seem to be trying.

AGoodODST

Mario isn't surprising. They've already talked about the next 3D Mario being in development.

Pokemon has got to be a Sun/Moon port.

The first party output on this thing is going to be nuts.

Yes, I can read and comprehend. It said both which means they're still targeting that audience. And that audience wants third party games and high graphics.

From the article:

MCV said:
Game graphics will be ‘somewhere between a PS3 and PS4’, with Nintendo targeting an audience that sits between smartphone gamers and the more hardcore users of PS4 and Xbox One.

“It’s a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one,” said one exec that has got hands on with the machine. “It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That’s going to be a big job for the marketing department.”

Doesn't sound like they're really marketing this towards the typical PS4 or XB1 user at all. It might be time to let the third party dreams and high-end graphics desires go. NX could very well be an amazing device full of great software, but it's not going to scratch the PS4 itch.

KAL2006

Banned
I really see no point of a Splatoon port. They should just focus on developing Splatoon 2. However Mario Maker definitely needs a port. That is a game where I don't see a sequel that would add much to the game. All they need to do is add new features to rhe port such as being able to make bigger levels, add more customizations such as adding slopes etc.

If they can sort compatibility between the 3DS version and the NX version, a Sun and Moon port is a total no-brainer. The Black/White comparison isn't a clean one- those games were often bought alongside a new 3DS, which obviously won't be the case for NX, and BW2 would work just fine on the current platform despite coming out a year and a half after launch- restricting the entirety of Gen VII to a legacy platform doesn't make any sense, by contrast.

I don't know the ins and outs of NX/3DS compatibility, obviously, but Pokémon already has an inbuilt cloud storage solution in the form of Pokémon Bank- if all else fails, in sure they could use that.

ZeroX03

Banned
They aren't gonna leave the 3DS in the dust right in the middle of the generation. If Nintendo & Game Freak found a way to get cross-system play between the 3DS & the NX for both local trading & online, awesome. But I'm not expecting anything Gen 7 to be NX-only. At most, it'll be a cross-gen release.

Nintendo and Game Freak might have to leave things behind, or do cross gen, or whatever.

Splitting the player base is a far smaller indiscretion than an NX going years without Pokemon. Same with losing backward compatibility. Sacrifices have to be made to go hard.

maxcriden

I think Nintendo previously indicated NSMB was on hold or them and likely to be retooled or revamped for the next version. And Miyamoto indicated at E3 that a new Mario game would be shown off at E3 the following year at the earliest and launched December 2017 at the earliest, but timelines change and perhaps he was referring to 3D Mario whereas this would be a 2D Mario. Perhaps they mean Mario Maker (though we have indication from an insider that the SMM port has had issues integrating UCG from the Wii U version).

I can't imagine what the Pokémon game will be. I expect BotW at launch.

What's MCV's track record like?

Eolz

Thats not what the article states at all....

Not to mention that Nintendo is developing games for smartphones and that audience anyway.

How's that a mistake? Plus it said smartphone gamers and core gamers they're going for.

Well, hoping for them for them it's not like the wiiu where they don't even know who they're targeting anymore then. Would be even worse.

Aldric

Graphics between PS3 and PS4... So basically roughly Wii U graphics again?

Hopefully we can see a decent difference once the games are revealed but for the moment what a disappointment.

ash_ag

I suspect MCV may simply not be very familiar with Pokémon as a franchise and Game Freak as a company. They may have indeed heard a Pokémon game is coming, and assumed that it would make sense that the main developer must be making it. Genius Sonority or Ambrella should be next. Both companies' latest game is from 2015, and they typically release their first games on each system very close to launch.

What I could see by Game Freak is perhaps an improved port of the SM battle engine for big screens, released as an eShop title. Would be fun to utilize in World Championships and the like, and it wouldn't be costly or take too long to develop. I wouldn't say an improved version of SM would make sense 6 months after the games' release.

Graphics between PS3 and PS4... So basically roughly Wii U graphics again?

Hopefully we can see a decent difference once the games are revealed by for the moment what a disappointment.

NX isn't Wii U graphics, we all discuss d this before it's a leap beyond Wii U but not surpassing the Xbox One

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Man, the NX has such potential. These are exciting times for Nintendo fans.

To think that maybe this time we really don't have to worry about any dry spells between new releases, even though we could be getting the likes of Zelda, Pokemon and Mario for a new console within the first 6 months of it's life...

I am hyped, and it feels good.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
NX isn't Wii U graphics, we all discuss d this before it's a leap beyond Wii U but not surpassing the Xbox One
Which is fucking mindblowing for a handheld imo. I'll be honest. I would have been ecstatic if their next handheld was simply on par with Wii U. That itself would have been a considerable leap over Vita.

Man, the NX has such potential. These are exciting times for Nintendo fans.

To think that maybe this time we really don't have to worry about any dry spells between new releases, even though we could be getting the likes of Zelda, Pokemon and Mario for a new console within the first 6 months of it's life...

I am hyped, and it feels good.
you are not the only one, having zelda mario and a pokemon game in the first year of the nx will be great

thefro

A Mario game isn't a surprise, but nice to see Pokemon coming as well. I'd expect it to maybe be the first 9 months and not the first 6 months.

I'd also add that their third party support list in this article isn't complete, since we know Bandai Namco/Koei Tecmo are both on board, amongst others.

watershed

Banned
Concerning graphics, they just have to look better than anything we've seen from Nintendo so far. Nintendo devs are more can capable of delivering beautiful hd games with varying artstyles. Gamefreak on the other hand...

I would be surprised if they don't have Mario at or very close to launch. I hope they don't just have Zelda for launch as it is available elsewhere.

Concerning graphics, they just have to look better than anything we've seen from Nintendo so far. Nintendo devs are more can capable of delivering beautiful hd games with varying artstyles. Gamefreak on the other hand...

I bet GF hates that the NX will be cutting edge for a handheld, they had to barely put effort into graphics keeping the dev costs real low for 2 decades but now they are on a quite powerful system for the first time ever. No more excuses.

KingBroly

Banned

Game Freak future-proofed Pokemon's art assets with X/Y, so they should be pretty high poly on NX, at least.

From the article:

Doesn't sound like they're really marketing this towards the typical PS4 or XB1 user at all. It might be time to let the third party dreams and high-end graphics desires go. NX could very well be an amazing device full of great software, but it's not going to scratch the PS4 itch.

Like I said I don't care for me, but I want to see Nintendo succeed. I just don't want them to have another bad gen. I'm getting NX day 1 because I love their games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm SO GLAD we are starting to receive some (small, weak, not exciting...) rumor about GAMES, ando not only Flops, Ram, Chips, whatever...

maxcriden

Lol a port of sun and Moon is going to look like garbage blown up on tv

You don't sound like a believer of the dock. The dock contains power beyond your wildest dreams.

Unless they provide redone 540p/720p textures and UI that is scalable to 1080p.

As I understand it a lot of first party 3DS gamesook excellent simply scaled to 1080. With Pokémon we know the models for the Pokémon at least are high poly models. I don't know much more more work needs to be done to the other assets to get them HD-ready. At the least I doubt Nintendo will release any HH games that look bad on the TV when plugged in through the dock, even if it simply allows for higher clocks or whatever he correct term that would come from just being plugged in is.

Miyamoto said something about a new Mario experience in two or three years or something like that?

Yep, he did. I think he said we will see it in a year or two, this was at E3. But timetables change and he may have been referring to 3D Mario whereas maybe this is 2D Mario.

All 3 kinds can co-exist, but the timing is important. A grandiose single player 3D Mario game on the same level as Galaxy would help sell the NX in the launch window much more than another 3D World. They should leave the other two for later when NX is more established.

FWIW, for better or worse I'm not convinced that SMG would sell better than a 3D World type game. Today's youth grew up with 3DL which sold exceptionally well, and then 3DW sold excellently relative to install base. I would be thrilled to see another Galaxy-type game, though.

Kimawolf

Yes, I can read and comprehend. It said both which means they're still targeting that audience. And that audience wants third party games and high graphics.
I dont know... a handheld with that kind of power sounds pretty appealing to me... note theyvdid not say between ps3/wii u power or between ps3/ xbone power. They said between ps3/ps4 power. Look at the high end of the scale. Why go so high if it isn't even close?

Oersted

From the article:

Nintendo can do the exact same thing like Sony and Microsoft, which are planning to release a console every 1-2 years.

Or do their own thing.

I know what I would do.

Excellent, and they should be able to keep up at a better rate than in the past if this becomes their only platform. I'm eager to see what their handheld teams do with Wii U plus power.

KAL2006

Banned
Here is my prediction of first party Nintendo line up. Please note this is only first party and no 3rd party games included in the prediction shown

March 2017 - Launch
Zelda BotW
New IP (Casual Game)
Mario Maker DX

April
Pokemon Go Stadium

May
Pikmin 4

June
Super Smash Bros Complete

August
Retro AAA New IP

October
AmiiBo Universe (Skylanders Rip off)

November
Mario AAA Galaxy Successor

December
Pokémon Eclipse Or Remake

AniHawk

it would be easy to see a sort of pokemon eclipse or version 3 of sun/moon on nx right away. i don't think they'd start things off with a remake like gen 4.

although sun and moon really should have been nx launch games.

3d mario is probably a holiday title. zelda is already a launch title, and i'd also guess pikmin 4, smash for nx, splatoon, mario maker, a new ip, and retro's new game are slated for 2017

2018 is for animal crossing, mario kart, spla2n, 2d mario, mario party etc.

Neoxon

Here is my prediction of first party Nintendo line up. Please note this is only first party and no 3rd party games included in the prediction shown

March 2017 - Launch
Zelda BotW
New IP (Casual Game)
Mario Maker DX

April
Pokemon Go Stadium

May
Pikmin 4

June
Super Smash Bros Complete

August
Retro AAA New IP

October
AmiiBo Universe (Skylanders Rip off)

November
Mario AAA Galaxy Successor

December
Pokémon Eclipse Or Remake
One would think that Nintendo would try to get the Smash 4 port out the door before EVO 2017.

f@luS

More than a member.
As I had PS3 / wii (I didn't keep my 360 long ) I will get the ps4nx combo. Can't wait.

watershed

Banned
Game Freak future-proofed Pokemon's art assets with X/Y, so they should be pretty high poly on NX, at least.
The Pokemon models are good in XY but outside of that, it's hard for me to imagine Gamefreak making a fluid, visually fresh Pokemon game. And even the current art style would have to be tweaked for better hardware. For me XY and arguably Sun/Moon are just really rough looking games by modern standards, even by 3ds standards.

I dont know... a handheld with that kind of power sounds pretty appealing to me... note theyvdid not say between ps3/wii u power or between ps3/ xbone power. They said between ps3/ps4 power. Look at the high end of the scale. Why go so high if it isn't even close?
It's truly amazing for a handheld I agree. PS3 to PS4 seems like a wide gap. Maybe there is something to boost it to PS4 graphics on the tv? SCD?

Top Bottom