• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCV: Mario & Pokemon coming within 6 months of NX launch, 3rd parties, exec comment

maxcriden

it would be easy to see a sort of pokemon eclipse or version 3 of sun/moon on nx right away. i don't think they'd start things off with a remake like gen 4.

although sun and moon really should have been nx launch games.

3d mario is probably a holiday title. zelda is already a launch title, and i'd also guess pikmin 4, smash for nx, splatoon, mario maker, a new ip, and retro's new game are slated for 2017

2018 is for animal crossing, mario kart, spla2n, 2d mario, mario party etc.

Unsure if you saw it, but Alberto mentioned in trying to port SMM they were having significant dfficulty getting the UCG over to NX, or something to that effect, and that this was stalling progress on a port. So that might continue to hold up a port or mean waiting for a sequel.

Aldric

NX isn't Wii U graphics, we all discuss d this before it's a leap beyond Wii U but not surpassing the Xbox One

Those "discussions" are just shots in the dark and pretty much pointless conjecture as we don't even know the exact kind of chip inside NX, the clock speed, the amount of RAM etc. There's been at least a couple of sources mentioning PS3 as a point of comparison graphics wise and this doesn't exactly elicit confidence. And yes, it might be "mind blowing" for a handheld but if you're really trying to sell this thing as a hybrid you also have to judge it as a home console and in that case it sounds extremely underwhelming, even with my low expectations for Nintendo hardware.

KrawlMan

From the article:

Doesn't sound like they're really marketing this towards the typical PS4 or XB1 user at all. It might be time to let the third party dreams and high-end graphics desires go. NX could very well be an amazing device full of great software, but it's not going to scratch the PS4 itch.

I think the logic is the same that they had with the Wii U. If they create compelling content, users will come. If they get enough users, they'll get third party support. It may not be in the same form as what exists on PS4, but they'll get support.

Now whether or not this will pan out for them, only time will tell. My only hope atm is that the power is closer to PS4 than PS3. I get that it's mobile, but when I play the system on my TV I don't want to feel like I'm playing Wii U again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn as someone who's just a casual Poke player idk what to do. I just recently finally got a copy of Alpha Sapphire, and I am play that.

Moon would be nice, but I'm unlikely to buy the 3rd title in a grouping if I already own one of the original two. So maybe I just play Alpha, and I skip moon. Just bank that cash towards NX. Then get whatever Poke NX shit hits fall 2017.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Pokemon Eclipse for NX , or Sun and Moon 2 maybe? Would hit around a year after vanilla SM if true, so seems around the right time. I can't imagine them changing the engine to meet up with the NX specs for an expansion though. Sounds interesting...

Pokemon stadium back from the dead , allows you to play sun/moon , like old times

It'd make perfect sense since itd be like October or September 6 months after a March NX launch

Do it Nintendo

KingBroly

Banned
The Pokemon models are good in XY but outside of that, it's hard for me to imagine Gamefreak making a fluid, visually fresh Pokemon game. And even the current art style would have to be tweaked for better hardware. For me XY and arguably Sun/Moon are just really rough looking games by modern standards, even by 3ds standards.

Well, because the models are so high-poly, the game chugs the closer you get to them. So if you put more power behind it, ideally, you'd get something smoother.

Pokemon Stadium 3, Pokemon Snap 2 (omg can you imagine all the areas they could create with hundreds and hundreds of Pokemon!) or a Pokemon RPG like XD or Gale of Darkness I would take.

jonno394

If this is GameFreak then we can rule out spin offs etc, this will be a remake or a third version of Sun/Moon.

Very exciting times ahead, roll on TGS/Space World 2016!

watershed

Banned
Well, because the models are so high-poly, the game chugs the closer you get to them. So if you put more power behind it, ideally, you'd get something smoother.
I understand that but even more so outside of battles, not talking about the models, XY is almost a downright ugly game. The new character models in Sun/Moon are nice but Gamefreak's history with graphical improvements and the rigid world design don't fill me with confidence.

Some consider Super Mario Galaxy 2 to be the last true 3D Mario game since 3D World/Land play more like a hybrid of 2D & 3D gameplay.
Can we not go down this path, please? Nintendo wanted to make 3D Mario the way they did with 3D World (btw it was amazing) and that's how it is. It was the next 3D Mario title. Next year will be 4 years since 3D World.

Filter

These just sound like the kind of easy guesses that a 'psychic' makes.

Oh a mario game and a Pokemon game on a new Nintendo console? Wow. How unheard of.

Even if the Pokemon game doesn't turn out to be by gamefreak they can then turn around and say 'well our sources were mostly correct'.

Where are all the details that might show that this is real information? 3D mario? 2d? Multiplayer?

Maybe the magazine has an uncle that works at Nintendo.

Ganondolf

so in the first 6 month (maybe year) we are getting:

Zelda
3d Mario
pokemon
pikmin
animal crossing
smash brothers
New IP (launch showcase)

and possible:

Mario maker
splatoon
retro made game
beyond good and evil 2

Zoon

Since the mainline pokemon games are going to be in HD it means that there will be longer dev cycles. I wonder if they'll have 2 studios developing them, one for original games and the other for remakes. The time between Sun/Moon and the rumored release of a new game is too short for GF to develop another mainline game(unless it's a third version) so having another studio already developing a Kanto remake would make sense. Again, just wishful thinking here.

On another note, I'd really like for the next games to change the art style to something similar to BotW.

Kimawolf

It's truly amazing for a handheld I agree. PS3 to PS4 seems like a wide gap. Maybe there is something to boost it to PS4 graphics on the tv? SCD?

Could be! That is the fun thing to me, all the speculation. I am a firm believer words matter and people don't just say things to say them. I imagine the SCD or something else putting it at those levels of power.

Perhaps its a matter of running off battery vs AC?

I could be wrong, but if even devs in their article say its a nice piece of kit instead of what they said about Wii u which was "lol guess you dont need a lot of power to run mario" or something along those lines, then im inclined to believe its no slouch.

Zelda
3d Mario
pokemon
pikmin
animal crossing
smash brothers
New IP (launch showcase)

and possible:

Mario maker
splatoon
retro made game
beyond good and evil 2

I use to think Splatoon 2 needed to release by holiday 2017 to bring in Japanese players, but now that we see the NX is more so a handheld, then they probably don't need it by holiday 2017. Also, we have to see what this Pokemon game is.

Zelda
3d Mario
pokemon
pikmin
animal crossing
smash brothers
New IP (launch showcase)

and possible:

Mario maker
splatoon
retro made game
beyond good and evil 2

When Emily said the first year Software of NX would blow away Wii U's she wasn't lying if this all turns out to be true

ny-hairfluff.gif

If NX cant play 3DS games then a HD version of the new Pokemon games would be amazing smart instead of waiting for years for game freaks next new thing

Neifirst

Can we not go down this path, please? Nintendo wanted to make 3D Mario the way they did with 3D World (btw it was amazing) and that's how it is. It was the next 3D Mario title. Next year will be 4 years since 3D World.

Those people forget that Galaxy 2 was very linear also.

Oh, I completely agree with you both. I was just trying to explain the comment about 7 years since the last 3D Mario game!

I can see this happening only if they are mobile versions. Like a port for Pokemon and a new 3D Land variant. Also what is this MCV?

I think the 3D Mario Team last known project was Captain Toad, so they had plenty of time to develop an Mario 3D game with any scope they want.

So Game Freak are going to move console mid-gen 8? That doesn't make much sense to me. The only way I could believe this rumour is if they're porting Sun & Moon over to the NX because it isn't backwards compatible (like the GBA, DS and 3DS before it) and making all the gen 8 games cross-gen.

maxcriden

So yeah, it's probably a Super Mario Maker port.

I think it's reasonable to expect a SMM something in the first 6 months or so, but given Miyamoto's comments at E3 I'm hoping we will see a new Mario launch by Holiday 2017, and if he was just referring to 3D Mario there, it's possible we'd see a new 2D Mario sooner.

Oh, I completely agree with you both. I was just trying to explain the comment about 7 years since the last 3D Mario game!

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I wasn't meaning that towards you. Just towards those strongly against acknowledging Mario 3D Land or World as 3D Mario games.

What's great about creating news stories out of NX rumors is that there is no way to hold you accountable if you are wrong, but you get clicks. And you get to cite "sources".

There seem to be a lot of sites with sources these days.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
New Mario (probably 3d) sounds pretty reasonable, considering how long has passed since the last one. I don't know about Pokemon, but it could be just a port of Sun and Moon.

Within 6 months means most probably May and September 2017.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Did we talk about this quote yet?

“It’s a nice bit of kit, a bit of a novelty, but a good one,” said one exec that has got hands on with the machine. “It won’t appeal to PS4 fans. Nintendo seems set on trying to upgrade smartphone gamers. That’s going to be a big job for the marketing department.”

Not sure how to feel about this.

maxcriden

New Mario (probably 3d) sounds pretty reasonable, considering how long has passed since the last one. I don't know about Pokemon, but it could be just a port of Sun and Moon.

Within 6 months means most probably May and September 2017.

Did you see Miyamoto's comments at E3, though?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1235065

Unless a timetable has moved up, this makes me think we are looking at Holiday 2017 at the earliest. But, perhaps he was only referring to 3D Mario here and that we'll see a 2D Mario in this timeframe.

ViciousDS

Banned
Genius Sonority needs to be given another shot at a big pokemon game. XD gale of darkness was fantastic. Let those guys go at giving us a full 3D reboot of pokemon red and blue. They are good enough in tech to make the games.

or HAL....they made the pokemon stadiums which were pure ACE

Top Bottom