• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MCVDevelop UK Survey: 84% Choose PS5

Thirty7ven

Banned
Over half of gamers intend to buy a next-gen console within three months of launch – with the PS5 the clear favourite

The findings come via a wide-ranging survey of over 3,000 pop culture fans in the UK undertaken by pop culture agency Experience12. Data was collected between June 25th and July 2nd through MCM Comic Con online channels. 80 per cent of the respondents were aged between 18 and 34 (48 per cent were in the 25-34 year old category; 32 per cent in the 18-24 category). Meanwhile, 58 per cent were male, 38 per cent female, 2 per cent non-conforming and 1 per cent transgender.

When asked to choose which upcoming console they were most excited about, 84 per cent named PlayStation 5, compared to 15 per cent who are most anticipating Xbox Series X.

I’ve been saying it’s not a given that XSX will do better than its predecessor. What say you GAF?

nani17

are in a big trouble
The real question is who will sell more subscriptions?

boYsIFI.gif

I've always wanted to post this since I saw it sorry :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

I thought this was interesting:

mcvuk said:
In terms of when they plan to buy these new consoles, 37 per cent said ‘at launch’, 9 per cent expect to buy within a month, 12 per cent within three months and 26% within six months of launch.

I wonder what the current consoles metrics were in ~mid 2013? 84% planning to buy within 6 months seems really high.

I’ve been saying it’s not a given that XSX will do better than its predecessor. What say you GAF?

It will definitely do better, of that i have no doubts. Just wait until the head to heads start coming in and XSX has the advantage in 95% of them. Right now, youre still asking people used to "this generation". Once the consoles are out, its a different ball game.

And price will also be a factor. If they both cost the same, id be worried if im sony.

Last edited:

Calverz

3,000 people isnt exactly definitive for the UK. Living here id say yes playstation is more popular but the xbox has a huge hardcore fanbase and i personally know more people with xbox 1’s than ps4. In particular the xbox one s.
So if microsoft do come out with lockhart, and its aggressively priced, i can see them selling a shit load here. The big fight seems to be over the pond in america where microsoft really need to make headway. But i do feel gamepass is this juggernaut thats just gonna gather pace and have a snowball effect. I can see sony responding to gamepass within 1st year of ps5 release. I have no idea what form that will take but they cant allow microsoft free reign on a netflix style gaming service.
Shits gonna be interesting and more so than current gen.

Kokoloko85

It will definitely do better, of that i have no doubts. Just wait until the head to heads start coming in and XSX has the advantage in 95% of them. Right now, youre still asking people used to "this generation". Once the consoles are out, its a different ball game.

Yeah like X1X had the advantages over PS4 pro for the last few years and made no difference.
Selling games makes more money then having the most powerful console

Yeah like X1X had the advantages over PS4 pro for the last few years and made no difference.
Selling games makes more money then having the most powerful console

Yes but that console came out years later after the decision and investments in the ecosystems were already made. This is a new beginning so to speak. 360 people were invested in xbox and still switched to ps4. The opposite can also happen.

Kokoloko85

Yes but that console came out years later after the decision and investments in the ecosystems were already made. This is a new beginning so to speak. 360 people were invested in xbox and still switched to ps4. The opposite can also happen.

All signs show PS5 is heading the right direction. And there going in with alot more momentum then last time

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Sony? No they are not. They dont have an xbox one messaging fiasco and 100$ price differential to rely on this time. You see what you wanna see.
And Xbox went a whole gen with disapointing games and their big hitter has been a shit show.And wasn't there a poll amongst devs at gamescom that said most were interested in ps5?

Of course there was no debacle like the TV Kinct but a disapointing gen can probably do worse than that especially when the competition brought amazing games years after years.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sony? No they are not. They dont have an xbox one messaging fiasco and 100$ price differential to rely on this time. You see what you wanna see.

You seem to be under the illusion that Xbox Is a bigger brand than it really is. They aren’t “ending” this generation with a blast either, and their momentum going into next gen relies solely on a service that has 10 million subscribers atm.

Last edited:
Over half of gamers intend to buy a next-gen console within three months of launch – with the PS5 the clear favourite

Writing has been on the wall for a while now

- Social media engagement numbers overwhelmingly in favour of PS5
- PS4's barnstorming end to the current generation with AAA after AAA the last year or two

Add in Xbox's mixed messages and disastrous PR over the last Xbox show and i'd be surprised if more people didn't sign up for a PS5.

Sony is making ALL the right moves.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I am hoping MS makes strides in South America, as it did in Mexico. Sony has been shafting us for way too long. No regional pricing and no ps now to name a few... But the brand has too many adepts... I mean customers made during the PS1 and PS2 days. Sony got all the mindshare thanks to piracy here.

Last edited:
You seem to be under the illusion that Xbox Is a bigger brand than it really is. They aren’t “ending” this generation with a blast either, and their momentum going into next gen relies solely on a service that has 10 million subscribers atm.

The question was whether they would do better than this generation not if xbox is a bigger brand than playstation. Yes, they will do a lot better.

They didnt have gamepass the last time, they didnt have 15 first party studios the last time and they didnt have the power day one the last time. And if the prices are the same for both consoles, then hold on to your butts cause we gonna have a real fight on our hands.

"You see what you wanna see."

Kind of ironic 😂

You and people with similar viewpoint are the ones that won't see clearly.

Even if MS would do everything perfectly(which they havent) and have cheaper system would not guarantee that they would sell more consoles.

Try to understand this:

Sony/Playstation dont rely on cheaper price or xbox being fiasco.

They rely on great games and brand gen after gen.

Kind of sad that people keep their hopes up and somehow live in a lie that keeps telling them that xbox vs Playstation is some kind of equal fight, where PS can lose easily if xbox gets one punch in.

In reality it is like 6y old trying to beat an adult mma fighter, not going to happen.

I understand if you are from US, then it is common that you dont see the big picture, because US is xboxs only strong area.

Just look at the polls outside of US:

PS5 dominates most/all.

And NO, majority of non US-gamers wont see xbox even as an option anymore, so doing few things right or having faster system means nothing, as people just dont care about xbox.

Why would someone choose Ford if he wants Japanese car, no matter what?

Last edited:

Oppoi

The question was whether they would do better than this generation not if xbox is a bigger brand than playstation. Yes, they will do a lot better.

They didnt have gamepass the last time, they didnt have 15 first party studios the last time and they didnt have the power day one the last time. And if the prices are the same for both consoles, then hold on to your butts cause we gonna have a real fight on our hands.

Did you buy into the cloud business as well?

pasterpl

You know in theory you can signup to gamepass with xCloud and play all Xbox games as you would do on consoles via streaming, so for many there is no need to buy Xbox. Wondering how will we be comparing these numbers console sales vs active users?

Kokoloko85

And xbox doesnt have a PS3 FIasco... Xbox has barely sold more than 50 million units.
And have you opened your eyes and seen MS sales and reception recently?

Xbox will never have the success they had with the 360.
Against the PS3 they had 1 year sales advantage, Cheaper console, that ran better 3rd party games.
Took many Playstation centric games for the first time like Tekken, Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy.
Plus the PS3 started as a disaster And limited online.

Never gonna happen for Xbox again

Did you buy into the cloud business as well?

The cloud to me is a cherry on the top. Not the whole pie. Its a "nice to have". Nothing more. But when 5G hits phones, that xcloud will be useful in those console-less markets. It may not sell consoles, but it'll grow the user numbers.

Oppoi

The cloud to me is a cherry on the top. Not the whole pie. Its a "nice to have". Nothing more. But when 5G hits phones, that xcloud will be useful in those console-less markets. It may not sell consoles, but it'll grow the user numbers.

So ultimately you believe in the bigger picture of Microsofts long term strategy? As a PC only gamer I love following them but honestly since 2013 I've been shouting at my screen for them to get their shit straight and fly right.

Thirty7ven

Banned

I was touching more on the subject of PlayStation needing Xbox to screw up. Out of 4 console generations, only one didn’t get them past 100 million units. Isn’t it more like Xbox needs PlayStation to screw up for them to be more competitive?

This generation was the follow up the Xbox 360. The X1 had that momentum going for it. You can say they screwed up the launch, but so did Sony with the PS3, in fact they screwed up much worse. Didn’t stop the PS3 from turning perception around and finish strong. That’s why PS3 sold over 85 million.

Your argument that H2H comparisons in multiplat are going to have a big impact can hold some water. However, saying for example that at the same price, PS5 is in trouble, sounds like an extreme stretch where you overvalue the Xbox brand.

Bryank75

Banned
PlayStation just had an incredible last year for PS4..... Nioh 2, TLOU2, FFVIIR, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima. They could have held all those back and made PS5 launch just massive, they could have said 'no, all those are PS5 only', Xbox didn't release anything for the last years of 360 and now again with Xbox One they did the same.. it's obvious they held back Halo Infinite for Xsx launch.

What PlayStation earned from doing such things is customer loyalty and faith that they will deliver great games consistently.

So ultimately you believe in the bigger picture of Microsofts long term strategy? As a PC only gamer I love following them but honestly since 2013 I've been shouting at my screen for them to get their shit straight and fly right.

I dunno, i would say i "understand" it more than i believe in it. Yes, it'll make them more money. Having access to people who cant afford a PC or console is a huge bonus. Im personally not that target audience. If it were me, i would have done like sony. Release games first on console, and a few months later on PC so like that, you give people more of a reason to get a console first.

I was touching more on the subject of PlayStation needing Xbox to screw up. Out of 4 console generations, only one didn’t get them past 100 million units. Isn’t it more like Xbox needs PlayStation to screw up for them to be more competitive?

This generation was the follow up the Xbox 360. The X1 had that momentum going for it. You can say they screwed up the launch, but so did Sony with the PS3, in fact they screwed up much worse. Didn’t stop the PS3 from turning perception around and finish strong. That’s why PS3 sold over 85 million.

Your argument that H2H comparisons in multiplat are going to have a big impact can hold some water. However, saying for example that at the same price, PS5 is in trouble, sounds like an extreme stretch where you overvalue the Xbox brand.

Well my point is that this situation coming has never happened before. With 360 v ps3, sony fucked their launch. With xbox one v ps4, MS screwed theirs. This is the first time both companies are 100% "ready to go". You cant expect the results to be the same as the last time and actually believe it.

Its like sports, just because one team has a bad season doesnt mean its impossible to bounce back the next season with a few key changes. This is no different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom