• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MDK 2 on WiiWare May 9th.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dreamcast2 said:
Wtf! It has downgrades! From the Dreamcast version! Like those rotating lights before he falls off. And no character shadows! Wtf! Wii is to the left btw, at first I thought that's Dreamcast since it seemed worse, flatter lighting and all, but then the huge green pointer makes it obvious that's the Wii version. Anyway as others said this wasn't exactly a good game so I hope its bound to be poor sales don't make them cancel things like the Descent port, which could be pretty fun (lol if they even downgrade Descent graphically!).

wow. no reported framedrops so far. constant high framerate, great wiimote controls and apparently it's really the entire game(which is about 15h long). The only small complains I've found so far are the compressed audio tracks which sound a bit low bitrate and the main character's missing shadow.

pls come out in EU soon

edit:
Wtf... It has downgrades! From the Dreamcast version!

well, it's a 40MB wiiware game, so some compromises had to be make

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I would think those compromises would be things like sound and texture quality, not programmy things like lighting quality.

I think I'm gonna pick this up when I get some money. I remember playing the MDK2 demo and thinking it was awesome. Plus, a full length adventure/platforming game on the Wii sounds great.

I've been so out of the WiiWare/DSiWare loop for so long... I really need to make sure I don't accidentally miss LaMulana and that DSi drawing game/app.

Well it would be pretty silly to expect it to not be downgraded in some form, given that they're compressing a game that was a few hundred megabytes down to 40. The missing shadows and low quality audio are a bit disappointing, but the game still looks great, runs at a perfect 60 fps and plays extremely well with the Wiimote + Nunchuk.

geebee said:
I wish WiiWare titles had demos..
They do (optional though). It just they are put up on a completely random basis and removed if it doesn't hlep the games sales enough after 4 weeks (can be extended to 12) if you're in the Us and if you're Europe there are only ever 10 up at any time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alextended said:
Wtf! It has downgrades! From the Dreamcast version! Like those rotating lights before he falls off. And no character shadows! Wtf! Wii is to the left btw, at first I thought that's Dreamcast since it seemed worse, flatter lighting and all, but then the huge green pointer makes it obvious that's the Wii version. Anyway as others said this wasn't exactly a good game so I hope its bound to be poor sales don't make them cancel things like the Descent port, which could be pretty fun (lol if they even downgrade Descent graphically!).
The DC supported hardware stencil shadows (which were used in a number of games). It seems that they simply did not bother to implement an equivalent effect on Wii and removed them instead.

The audio is downgraded due to the compression.

The framerate is a MASSIVE improvement, though. If it really runs at 60 fps, that's a huge bonus as the Dreamcast version couldn't even hold a solid 30 fps (it dropped below 30 fps regularly).

The framerate was also VERY smooth on PC: heck, on my old P4 laptop the demo was so fast that is was basically fast forwarding!
Moreover, PC version uses some hard shadows on the protagonists and, if as I think, this is a port from that, they decided to remove them because they were ugly to see and implemented poorly.

Oh, and that green cursor-thing is ugly as sin.

Xtyle

dark10x said:
The DC supported hardware stencil shadows (which were used in a number of games). It seems that they simply did not bother to implement an equivalent effect on Wii and removed them instead.

The audio is downgraded due to the compression.

The framerate is a MASSIVE improvement, though. If it really runs at 60 fps, that's a huge bonus as the Dreamcast version couldn't even hold a solid 30 fps (it dropped below 30 fps regularly).

With all that downgrading, one would assume the performance has to go up logically

bigben85 said:
With all that downgrading, one would assume the performance has to go up logically
I don't suppose the fact that it's running on hardware which is 10x as powerful as the Dreamcast has anything to do with it

dark10x said:

I would hope the Wii is more powerful than the goddamn Dreamcast. It's got a seven year advantage.

dark10x

bigben85 said:
All the downgrading? The shadows are the only thing missing and they were simply lazy and failed to implement a different solution.

The audio quality loss is simply due to the very small file size.

This has nothing to do with system power.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gwanatu T said:
Wow thats attrocious! A game that didn't even look that impressive on Dreamcast hardware outside of a few parts gets a port to considerably more powerful hardware and manages to lose things like shadows, decent lighting and other things? These devs make me sick.
40MB.

dark10x

Genesis Knight said:
Hard pressed to think of a different reason.
Are you serious? It's simply a poor port job. The Wii is very weak by 2011 standards, but it's significantly faster than the Dreamcast. The Gamecube was already a massive leap beyond the Dreamcast and the Wii goes even further. At least it runs much much faster, as it should.

Maybe it's not fair to claim it's a bad port, though. How can so many ignore the fact that they basically crammed a game that was originally upwards of 800mb into 40mb is beyond me. That's a pretty significant challenge.

dark10x said:
Are you serious? It's simply a poor port job. The Wii is very weak by 2011 standards, but it's significantly faster than the Dreamcast. The Gamecube was already a massive leap beyond the Dreamcast and the Wii goes even further. At least it runs much much faster, as it should.

I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying you couldn't attribute 60v30fps to the hardware upgrade. I see you were saying that the shadows missing is due to developer fail instead of hardware incompatibility.

Incidentally, I would think that compressing the game down is just a matter of art and sound, especially since I think MDK2 originally had CD quality audio or whatever. Game code isn't going to take up much space so ideally the game should run better and have the same features.

Is there any reason that implementing shadows would have caused the file size to increase by more than a negligible amount? If not then removing the shadows isn't really excusable. But aside from that the port is solid, and the missing shadows don't really affect the gameplay either.

geebee

Banned
_dementia said:
If the game is only 40MB how is the music handled? Programmed instrumentation?
Wasnt it redbook or whatever the equivalent is for gdroms? I remember being able to listen to the music tracks using the dreamcast cd player.

dark10x

nincompoop said:
Is there any reason that implementing shadows would have caused the file size to increase by more than a negligible amount? If not then removing the shadows isn't really excusable. But aside from that the port is solid, and the missing shadows don't really affect the gameplay either.
The DC version used stencil shadows, which the hardware was quite good at. I would assume that the Wii hardware doesn't support stencil shadows properly (they are not commonly used any more) and the developers removed them completely rather than retooling them for use on the Wii hardware. They basically took the easy way out.

dark10x said:
The DC version used stencil shadows, which the hardware was quite good at. I would assume that the Wii hardware doesn't support stencil shadows properly (they are not commonly used any more) and the developers removed them completely rather than retooling them for use on the Wii hardware. They basically took the easy way out.
I'm sure the Wii must have some form of real time shadowing built into the devkits though, so it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't just use that instead of removing shadows altogether.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
nincompoop said:
I'm sure the Wii must have some form of real time shadowing built into the devkits though, so it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't just use that instead of removing shadows altogether.
Depends how easy was to implement them in the game engine, I would believe.

Glix said:
Am I blind or is the Wii version just straight up stretched? Everyone's face is too fat?!?!?!

They were too lazy implement shadows, let's figure 16:9...

About the size of the game: my PC version is only 200 MB, which more 80 are in music files. A good chunk of the porting work was probably used to better recompress all the data to fit in the wiiware executable.

Numpt3

I was gutted when the disc of my Dreamcast copy borked back in the day, never got a chance to finish it. :( I guess this isn't coming to xbla or psn?

geebee

Banned
I've decided to check this out after work today. I cant resist 60fps lol. Especially during this current gen.

TunaLover

Got it today, fun game overall, decent challenge and variety, the dog mission are enough to purchase this game, the Wiimote pointer makes you can play it in a smooth and fast paced fashion, it help alot in the sniper mode. It´s a straight port, don´t expect any visual improvement, good addition to WiiWare, never had the chance to play the original one... really quirk game...

geebee

Banned
Finally got this last night. When I first started playing, the aim speed felt so fast that it made me dizzy so I had to turn it down. After that though everything fell into place and memories of the Dreamcast version were coming back... only it had shadows and better lighting.

dark10x

nincompoop said:
It does, but it may not have been easy to implement them in this particular engine.

Same reason why Okami Wii was missing a number of visual effects from the PS2 version.

Genesis Knight said:
It's also supposedly getting an HD PC rerelease.
The original already works at higher resolutions. I suppose putting it out there on Steam or something would make it easier to access, though.

MDK2 is already on Steam. The "HD" version is going to have an overhauled graphic engine, it looks like.
guy who works at Beamdog said:
MDK2 HD is cooking along. Cam's got the engine torn apart and half put back together around a completely revised lighting model. At one point he dropped a comment about 26 rendering passes for on frame, but I think he was still in development and a lot of the passes were performing the same function. When we get some screenshots ready, we'll make certain you get them.

-Trent
http://www.beamdog.com/forum/forums/general-discussion/topics/mdk2-for-wiiware

M3d10n

dark10x said:
The Dreamcast shadows aren't stencil shadows. They are a PowerVR2 exclusive feature called "modifier volumes", which are very different:

A stencil shadow volume is drawn after the scene. It interacts with the Z-buffer to "mark" pixels which are inside the volume in the stencil buffer. Then, the render can do blending only against the marked (or unmarked) pixels.

The modifier volume relied on the PowerVR2 unique tiled deferred rendering. It didn't use a z-buffer nor stencil buffer: it could determine, per pixel, if a polygon was inside or outside a modifier volume (via ray-triangle tests) and use a different material if so. This "material" could be darker, brighter or even use a different texture (but this was rarely used).

It was much easier to use than stencil shadows: set "modified" material, enable a flag, draw the shadow volumes. Reproducing it on the Wii is not trivial for someone not experienced with the hardware, specially on a game that was probably ported on a tiny budget with a programmer or two.

Played this today, doesn't feel too bad with motion controls. Kind of weird they're bringing back M.D.K. in general though; I thought it was sort of a forgotten game/series.

Top Bottom