• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MDK 2 on WiiWare May 9th.

M3d10n said:
The Dreamcast shadows aren't stencil shadows. They are a PowerVR2 exclusive feature called "modifier volumes", which are very different:

A stencil shadow volume is drawn after the scene. It interacts with the Z-buffer to "mark" pixels which are inside the volume in the stencil buffer. Then, the render can do blending only against the marked (or unmarked) pixels.

The modifier volume relied on the PowerVR2 unique tiled deferred rendering. It didn't use a z-buffer nor stencil buffer: it could determine, per pixel, if a polygon was inside or outside a modifier volume (via ray-triangle tests) and use a different material if so. This "material" could be darker, brighter or even use a different texture (but this was rarely used).

It was much easier to use than stencil shadows: set "modified" material, enable a flag, draw the shadow volumes. Reproducing it on the Wii is not trivial for someone not experienced with the hardware, specially on a game that was probably ported on a tiny budget with a programmer or two.
F*cking ace man. Thanks for the explanation, this is the type of post the board needs. Too bad there isn't a rep system implemented.

Genesis Knight said:
Played this today, doesn't feel too bad with motion controls. Kind of weird they're bringing back M.D.K. in general though; I thought it was sort of a forgotten game/series.

I'm happy that the MDK series hasn't been forgotten. With the WiiWare release and the upcoming HD PC release maybe the world will actually get an MDK3.

djlr181

I have heard a lot about how the sound and music was heavily compressed but does anyone know if they actually cut up some of the songs?

Top Bottom