• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME!ME!ME! | Short anime video by Studio Khara(Evangelion rebuild)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
Interesting interpretation of the video I found on /a/:
This guy is depressed after breaking up with his girlfriend.

The TV/anime girls represent escapism, both sexual and otherwise (Though obviously primarily sexual). The first song begins with him looking all happy about it, but as he delves further into it, it becomes more of an addiction that he can't escape from. In the middle of losing himself in it, a bit into the second song, he remembers the happy times he shared with his ex. But then he realized that while running away from the sad memories of the relationship, he got consumed (literally, really) by his addiction to escapism.

Then realizing that it was worth having spent time together with his ex, he gathers the courage to try and fight back again. In the end though, he doesn't make it, and he loses the battle, remaining complacent and sexually satisfied by escapist anime. His decapitated head falling down at the end literally represents him failing to get a life and socially dying.

The video repeats because this is the continuing struggle he's having in his head as he lies in bed all depressed.
Reposting for new page

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
tumblr_nfeq7oi9CE1r9b5wlo1_500.gif
I wish more FPSs had that kind of crazy unconventional look/setting.

Decent video which attempts to have its cake and eat it, too.

It says something about overtly sexual anime, but the first run through is clearly the getting it all out there.

studyguy

Found Dragon Dentist to be more visually impressive if less ostentatious.
Still the music in this had me going. I love collaborative efforts like this, animating for the sake of animation etc.

-Ryn

Banned
Found Dragon Dentist to be more visually impressive if less ostentatious.
Still the music in this had me going. I love collaborative efforts like this, animating for the sake of animation etc.
Just watched that before you put up the link. There weren't any subtitles so it was interesting trying to figure out what they were discussing. I'll have to watch it with them. Still though it was a lovely piece. The style was fantastic (though I liked the ME!ME!ME! animation a bit better). I love hand drawn art.

studyguy

Just watched that before you put up the link. There weren't any subtitles so it was interesting trying to figure out what they were discussing. I'll have to watch it with them. Still though it was a lovely piece. The style was fantastic (though I liked the ME!ME!ME! animation a bit better). I love hand drawn art.

I'd admit I have a huge bias for the art style, Me!Me!Me!'s concept is stellar too though. The fact that on the loop you can see how each piece around his room, the figurines half made, the weapons, the posters, dolls, etc all fit into his escapist fantasy really does a lot to make it even more enjoyable. Also that fucking song bangs so there's that too.

studyguy

but that is something everyone should get while watching it.

All those elements point all to that conclusion.

It becomes extremely obvious on the second time around if you pay attention to the surroundings. For the people just knocking on the hypersexualisation, I'd just consider approaching this like something out indie film festivals or art exhibits. It's meant to display the prowess of the team behind it. Everything is turned up to 11 in it, violence, colors, sounds, and yes sexualization too. Hill Climb Girl is like... my least favorite so far but it's still incredibly impressive nonetheless.

Sami+

That was fantastic. The creepy sexual culture in anime really needs to be criticized more.

Someone should gif the bit at 3:55 where the girl's skin peels away.

ghostjoke

Banned
Could do without the "fanservice", but hey, all anime could do without fanservice. As as "hey, look at all this awesome animation we can do" it succeeds though. Mini Rei and Asuka gave me a little nostalgia.

Chariot

Could do without the "fanservice", but hey, all anime could do without fanservice. As as "hey, look at all this awesome animation we can do" it succeeds though. Mini Rei and Asuka gave me a little nostalgia.
Wasn't the fanservice the point of this?

Yeah that fanservice of dismemberment and gore. Fucking awesome fanservice.

ghostjoke

Banned

Clov

Probably, but all I'm thinking right now is "the time used to make this could have been put towards fixing the mess Rebuild 3 created".

Or it could be used to make something new and creative. Like this!

I doubt this is really taking that much of Khara's time. Not to mention short film anthologies are great; the more the better! Either way we'll get "3.0+1.0" soon enough.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Good stuff, I really liked the music in the 3rd part. Need to keep tabs on this for when it's hopefully released separately.

Excellent commentary on the dangers of selfish pleasures while avoiding reality. Good shit. Hope the message isn't lost in all the boobies.

Saw this Yesterday morning, fucking loved it. It's rare to see actual visual splendor in animation these days. Hopefully there's more stuff like this in the future!

LowParry

Excellent commentary on the dangers of selfish pleasures while avoiding reality. Good shit. Hope the message isn't lost in all the boobies.

Oh it got lost. Between naked twerks, first person shooter orgasms and throw up in mouth....uh what was the message again? Did I mention tits and ass? Tits and ass. Animaaaaaaaaaaa!

Guess Who

Banned
lol @ people who can't imagine that a thing with anime tits can have a deeper meaning, or that anime tits are inherently fanservice and aren't VERY CLEARLY being used here for irony and symbolism

LowParry

lol @ people who can't imagine that a thing with anime tits can have a deeper meaning, or that anime tits are inherently fanservice and aren't VERY CLEARLY being used here for irony and symbolism

In what way? Bounce? TV awareness? Death by squeeze? Standing at the top of the tit...er I mean tip....

No, if there are tits, it's only to be titillating. Only a boob would think otherwise. Stay abreast of these things and stay perky.

Rell

Who gives a shit? Where is 3.33 Funimation!? WHERE!?!?!?

Apparently they're redoing parts of the English dub.

I saw the movie the first time subbed, I saw the dub in theaters. There was definitely some differences in tones, but nothing that disrupted the intent of the movie.

The home video release briefly had a date on Amazon of, like, December 20th or something, but now it's back to being listed as TBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom