• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries announced for 2018 (Designed for VR)

Laiza

No mech customization?

Are they having a laugh?
I bought the issue so I can answer this.

Basically, they want to encourage players to go visit the free market on a frequent basis, jumping from world to world to try to find a specific variant with the specific features they want. MWO-style customization would have, in Russ's words, invalidated much of the free market as players would just customize a handful of mechs to their needs and then largely ignore it. No need to find a specific variant with Ferro Fibrous armor or Endosteel structure if you can freely just slap it on any mech you want, etc.

You can still swap out weapons on those set hard points and customize paint jobs it seems, but everything else is a matter of market hunting.
Is this VR exclusive? I'm part of the small percentage of the pop that gets terrible motion sickness from VR.
No.

Woorloog

Banned
No knockdowns? Why would they not have this?

Probably lacking animations for them. I mean, MWO was supposed to have those but they were disabled back in the alpha/beta and never re-added. Presumably all 'Mechs added afterwards lack animations, and given rescaling done etc., it is plausible older 'Mechs don't have suitable animations anymore either.
If there ain't no knockdowns, there's no need to make animations, and therefore money and devtime can be saved.

I'd rather have knockdowns... Really, it would be neat tactical tool. Would allow balancing some weapons as well, increase their impulse even though they're not stronger otherwise, or something like that.

Lime

I am more than fine with the descriptions so far. I hope the execution is up to par.

No knockdowns? Why would they not have this?

Knockdowns are not that important and I am actually not sure why that would be an important component in a MW game. It was hardly a factor in MW2, MW3, and MW4.

Woorloog

Banned
Knockdowns are not that important and I am actually not sure why that would be an important component in a MW game. It was hardly a factor in MW2, MW3, and MW4.

Ah, but they should be important. Not to mention realistic (both realistic realistic, as gyroscopes have their limits, and matching tabletop BT).
Done properly, they'd be an interesting tactical tool.

'Mechs were way too resistant to knocking down in MW4. This was made easier in MW4Mercs (hence the addition of "Advanced Gyro") though they were still quite hard to pull off. And i think MekTek MekPaks made falling down harder but not sure about that.

Besides, if they were doing knockdowns here, maybe MWO would be getting them as well... (just don't re-introduce charging, i remember bowling ball Dragons...)

PC only for now.

Lime

Seriously, I am so incredibly invested in this game and I really hope it'll be a creative success. It's been so long since MW4: Mercs and Microsoft burying it.

FiveSide

Banned
MEGATON! I can't even believe it!

The dream is real! Can't wait to hear more, just...wow. Can't wait to tell my buds about this either.

This might single-handedly have become my most anticipated upcoming release. Only competition is the Resident Evil 2 remake.

VR Mechwarrior Mercenaries. GAF is this even real life

I really hope it has the whole control interface for use it VR. Something like the Star Trek game, or the computer interface in Elite Dangerous.

Woorloog

Banned
Bring this for Xbox One X!!

PC only for now.

And i expect console released to be unlikely. PGI ain't big, and since this is more or less intended to be a simulator, it might not be suitable for consoles. Controllers have a tad too limited amount of buttons.

Sims can work on consoles, certainly, Elite:Dangerous is playable on Xbone but it sure as hell ain't easy...

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Piranha Games should still have the license to work on XB1. Just a matter if someone steps in to help push that forward or not.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-02-08-building-mechwarrior-online

Piranha came to an agreement with Weisman for a traditional MechWarrior game, but the terms of Microsoft's license agreement with Weisman meant it could only release on Xbox and PC.

"This was right after the economic collapse of 2008 and a lot of publishers we'd been visiting were more careful and cautious," Bullock said. "As excited as they were to see our pitch for this MechWarrior game, to tell them they couldn't ship on Sony's platform and it was just PC and Xbox, that ultimately meant to them it was essentially an Xbox-only pitch. PC wasn't what it is today, Steam hadn't strengthened that aspect yet. That led to us not being able to get that game off the ground."

Top Bottom