• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Giolon

Wow, I really like the theory behind these new rewards. Finally some incentive to play in different ways, though I fear deathblob will still be the most effective.

Talisker

No need to leave, IF PGI will enable faction changing.

Though i figure i'll scrap our guild soon as i don't play much at the moment. And in-case we need to re-do it to change the faction.
Though i will note i have no particular interest in joining the Clans, not until i can get a Vulture. And might not even then, i figure i'm a IS pilot no matter what.

I have gone so far as to ask the customer support if there was any possibility of selling unused but unsellable IS mechs. :| Yeah, I can be weird like that but I like a neat mechlab.

Woorloog

Banned
I have gone so far as to ask the customer support if there was any possibility of selling unused but unsellable IS mechs. :| Yeah, I can be weird like that but I like a neat mechlab.

Make a thread to the suggestion forum: "Let us hide mechs like Steam lets us hide games".

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The new rewards are a great idea, but they lowered earnings a bit too much. Seems like they're going to adjust it.

Giolon

The new rewards are a great idea, but they lowered earnings a bit to much. Seems like they're going to adjust it.

Depends on what you're doing. I'm seeing the same or better rewards as a light.

I like that they actually encourage tactics and playing to objective. Scouting, hit and run, flanking, protecting larger teammates, TAGing (not just for missiles), capping - it's all great.

I'm hopeful it leads to more than just the constant death balling that's gone on for years. I do still hope they really are opening to tweaking them though, in case the numbers really aren't on point.

Woorloog

Banned
So, how are people running their new Centurions and Atlases?

My AH is upgraded stock: ES, DHS, XL250, more ammo and armor. It is a pure fire-support unit really, LRM10 at range for assist and some damage, AC20 for close support. People don't like relatively maneuverable AC20 right next to them, even if you don't do damage, you are a scare-factor.

As for the new Atlas, Splatlas (4xSRM6+A) didn't work really. Too hot. SRM4s might be better but... eh, not sure. It is so slow i really don't care to try, and since i limit myself to tabletop legal designs, engines between 300 and 400 are off-limits, so i can't make it any faster. Figure i'll leave CQB work to D-DC once i get around buying one.
Currently trying my Atlas with 4xLRM10+A and UAC5 (+ the four medium lasers). Kind of a ranged fire-support. Works OK, though it doesn't have too much ammo (1t per launcher, 2 for UAC), though that is not a problem really, i just need to make sure my shots count, and with Artemis i need to see my targets anyway to get the benefits, so it is not a big deal.

K.Jack

Depends on what you're doing. I'm seeing the same or better rewards as a light.

I like that they actually encourage tactics and playing to objective. Scouting, hit and run, flanking, protecting larger teammates, TAGing (not just for missiles), capping - it's all great.

I'm hopeful it leads to more than just the constant death balling that's gone on for years. I do still hope they really are opening to tweaking them though, in case the numbers really aren't on point.

Yeah I've been stuck playing heavies. I'm a medium jock, but the Stormcrow and new Cent are murdering the queue right now.

So, how are people running their new Centurions and Atlases?

My AH is upgraded stock: ES, DHS, XL250, more ammo and armor. It is a pure fire-support unit really, LRM10 at range for assist and some damage, AC20 for close support. People don't like relatively maneuverable AC20 right next to them, even if you don't do damage, you are a scare-factor.

As for the new Atlas, Splatlas (4xSRM6+A) didn't work really. Too hot. SRM4s might be better but... eh, not sure. It is so slow i really don't care to try, and since i limit myself to tabletop legal designs, engines between 300 and 400 are off-limits, so i can't make it any faster. Figure i'll leave CQB work to D-DC once i get around buying one.
Currently trying my Atlas with 4xLRM10+A and UAC5 (+ the four medium lasers). Kind of a ranged fire-support. Works OK, though it doesn't have too much ammo (1t per launcher, 2 for UAC), though that is not a problem really, i just need to make sure my shots count, and with Artemis i need to see my targets anyway to get the benefits, so it is not a big deal.

I haven't tried either yet. But I've been running into a ton of the Splatlas builds. Jeez they are damn tough. Scary really.

And all of these AS7-S lurm boats make my job a lot tougher, especially when I get 3 on my team, meaning the mediums and heavies have to do all of the face tanking.

I'd drop Artemis for more ammo, if I was you. You're too slow to seek much LOS shooting.

Also, details on the Resistance Pack are up. Eh I kind of want the Enforcer.

Woorloog

Banned
I haven't tried either yet. But I've been running into a ton of the Splatlas builds. Jeez they are damn tough. Scary really.

And all of these AS7-S lurm boats make my job a lot tougher, especially when I get 3 on my team, meaning the mediums and heavies have to do all of the face tanking.

I'd drop Artemis for more ammo, if I was you. You're too slow to seek much LOS shooting.

Also, details on the Resistance Pack are up. Eh I kind of want the Enforcer.

Dropping Artemis would cost me almost a million, ain't doing that. I've wasted too much C-bills on random stuff already... I might sell my Summoner though, setting up alt for Clan mechs doesn't sound too bad an idea.

EDIT OMG LOL, the Zeus art has text: Assault recon. And the Grasshopper reads "hopping mad"

EDIT For those interested in the BT lore: The new Enforcer is ENF-5P, created purely for MWO: Has dual UAC5s with a couple of JJs and a small laser. Interesting concept. I kind of hope Catalyst will canonize it later, like FanPro did with MW4 mechs.
EDIT I kind of like the Grasshopper's looks. I figure that if i could spare the money, i'd buy Wrath pack (to get the King Crab too)... But that's not going to happen.

K.Jack

A million? Why would it cost so much? Oh, is because you'd need to buy non-Artemis SRM6s on top of the $125k to switch?

Bought a Wrath pack. I feel okay about it. The ENF-5P sold me.

Woorloog

Banned
I have no idea how much it is going to cost actually. Not that i will do it, having an Artemis equipped mech is an interesting change as i usually don't bother with the Artemis.
Remove Artemis, buy 4xLRM10 (or bigger ones?), how much is that?
With SRM6s, the Artemis is necessary, but given the slow speed, mere 4 tons of ammo is more than enough, as i never get to use it all.

shuri

Banned
I kinda enjoy the new Atlas, my current test setup is 1xb10x, 4ml, 3 srm6 and ams. It's kinda nice but I already masted every atlas so they kinda blend together, except for Boar's Head. 4ml + 2ll + ac20 of pure fury. I think my kill ratio is something like 3.x with it.

Shaitan

Neo Member
The new rewards are a great idea, but they lowered earnings a bit too much. Seems like they're going to adjust it.

actually, I was averaging 200k in my streak dog yesterday and even got 350k at one point (without premium time but with a prime mech)

Shaitan

Neo Member
I dont understand why they would only give two of the enforcers good engines and all the other mechs only enough to reach 64 kph... think I will definitely pass on this one

K.Jack

The Atlas is just too slow for me. Same issue I had with the Dire Wolf.

I have no idea how much it is going to cost actually. Not that i will do it, having an Artemis equipped mech is an interesting change as i usually don't bother with the Artemis.
Remove Artemis, buy 4xLRM10 (or bigger ones?), how much is that?
With SRM6s, the Artemis is necessary, but given the slow speed, mere 4 tons of ammo is more than enough, as i never get to use it all.

That'd be 900k-ish. $125k to remove Art, and the LRM10s are 200k a pop.

actually, I was averaging 200k in my streak dog yesterday and even got 350k at one point (without premium time but with a prime mech)

Yeah I haven't put in enough matches to really be sure yet. I hear there's an adjustment coming tomorrow, but I haven't read up on what's being changed.

That must've been one hell of a match, to get 350k without premium.

I dont understand why they would only give two of the enforcers good engines and all the other mechs only enough to reach 64 kph... think I will definitely pass on this one

Did you look at what all of their 'Max Engine Rating' stats are? The Panther can go up to a 250 (124.7kph after tweak), two of the ENFs can take a 325 (116kph max), the Grasshopper can go up to a 340 (uh ~87kph), and the Zeus can take a 390 (around 88kph after tweak). Those are pretty good speeds.

Shaitan

Neo Member
Did you look at what all of their 'Max Engine Rating' stats are? The Panther can go up to a 250 (124.7kph after tweak), two of the ENFs can take a 325 (116kph max), the Grasshopper can go up to a 340 (uh ~87kph), and the Zeus can take a 390 (around 88kph after tweak). Those are pretty good speeds.

part of my issue is that clan mechs have spoiled me (i dont have to spend the cost of a mech to get playable engine) but yeah, after looking at those speeds. I can see the enforcer being interesting, but thats about it...

I had some fun with an Atlas but never really got it to work. It needs high alpha damage setups and I'm more of a consistant dps kind of player.

Or I just suck at it lol.

Wish I could get back into this at the moment, but I have a really bad Destiny addiction.

Lime

Wait...will they finally implement an eject feature? Like MW2 or even their prototype video?

Seriously, there are so many things missing in MW:O still that previous games had on what I imagine were much smaller budgets.

Woorloog

Banned
BTW, with the changes to the faction-system, we don't need to redo NGAF (we're currently Capellan loyalists due to my mistake (because PGI doesn't have proper guide anywhere)), we just wait till CW is added properly and choose our allegiance then.

I'm thinking we'll vote on the (tech)-faction, and use only 1 month contracts, provided the system stays as currently outlined.

I am, of course, ignoring all the issues caused by the low number of GAF mechwarriors, timezones, and the fact some of us are pure Clanners and some pure Spheroids.

K.Jack

This stupid medium queue makes me want to take a break. I can hardly play my best right now.

Releasing the Cent, Crow, and having the Shad sale all at once was a bad idea.

part of my issue is that clan mechs have spoiled me (i dont have to spend the cost of a mech to get playable engine) but yeah, after looking at those speeds. I can see the enforcer being interesting, but thats about it...

With the clan mechs you're already paying for the XL that's why the Nova costs 9 million.

Shaitan

Neo Member
woot, another 300k+ game

out of curiosity, how do u post images from your comp on here? was gonna post it but cant figure out how if its not a link

Giolon

Holy shit! From the Roadmap:

BAP – We have increased the counter ECM aspect of BAP from 150m to 360m to give more value to the 1.5 ton item and provide more effective counters to ECM.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, that's nice thing. I reckon i'll start carrying BAP with me always.

EDIT it looks like one can win MC this weekend. Hmm. Might get the Banshee after all.

Shaitan

Neo Member
BAP range is epic! The Streak Doggy is going to MURDER ECM lights now. Streak range is 370M ffs. Hahahaha.

Dont forget, the med laser also got a buff. slightly longer ranger (5 meters) and a shorter duration (1.25->1.15).

Oh and Full List of Quirks. How do your favorite mechs fare?

I cant honestly tell how much this will help the jester (my favorite IS mech which loyally farmed CBills successfully in preparation for the clans). If I am reading it right I get a 7.5% increase to energy and large laser range as well as a 7.5% decrease to energy and large laser heat generation. Do those stack?

also we get new clan mech on the 4th. Here comes the Ice Ferret!

This patch will be sooooooo awesome! too bad its not in time for the halloween event.

btw, anyone know what mech the new hero mech will be? I dont know enough lore.

K.Jack

This Halloween event is cool. I'm getting pretty decent drops from the bags.

Dont forget, the med laser also got a buff. slightly longer ranger (5 meters) and a shorter duration (1.25->1.15).

I cant honestly tell how much this will help the jester (my favorite IS mech which loyally farmed CBills successfully in preparation for the clans). If I am reading it right I get a 7.5% increase to energy and large laser range as well as a 7.5% decrease to energy and large laser heat generation. Do those stack?

also we get new clan mech on the 4th. Here comes the Ice Ferret!

This patch will be sooooooo awesome! too bad its not in time for the halloween event.

btw, anyone know what mech the new hero mech will be? I dont know enough lore.

Yes, they stack, so the LL gets a 15% boost.

nvm my bad

Woorloog

Banned
The Thunderbolt is a champion, not a hero.

EDIT All i need is some 50MC and i can get the La Malinche :/

EDIT BTW ever since the patch that added the new map, the whole game has had FPS issues on my laptop. Even after updating drivers. Very, very annoying.

K.Jack

Oh lol I misread that.

Of 8 matches, I got 10MC and 20MC. Your chance at getting 50MC over the weekend is huge.

People are saying the husband/wife will be a Shadowhawk and Locust.

Edit: 500k cbils drop on a 39 score lmao

K.Jack

So I've played 20 matches, and 19 qualify.

Totals:

875,000 cbills
110 MC
1,500 GXP
1 day premium time
MWO mug cockpit item
half ton of AMS ammo
1x SHS

Yeah I'll be playing a lot this weekend.

Also bought a Hellslinger, due to the 50% off sale.

K.Jack

I'm over a million already. The RNG gods are on my side. That said, I need to go on a run of MC bags. Hoping to make at least 2000 MC this weekend.

Oh, didn't know about this event. Guess I'll have to play a bit this weekend.

Details

wow this event is like Christmas. Really great fucking job of PGI to get me to play again (a lot)

What's your handle? Or add me: kevjack

Woorloog

Banned
Man, i get bored fast with mechs. La Malinche? Great, but already bored (and don't want to get another Banshee right away really). (Also need a mouse with more good buttons, 5 weapons is difficult with mouse with 3 good buttons, 1 one bad and one keyboard key.)
Figured i'll start alt account for Clan mechs, tech-separation and all. Get the Timber Wolf for it. Expensive to maintain both tech bases.
But what to use for this IS account? I figure i'd like the Grasshopper but it is months away :/

EDIT I'd love to try the Dragon but man... it needs dynamic graphics first.
EDIT Cicada would be nice but... eh, also needs dynamic graphics. Seriously, those things spoiled me, can't live without 'em.
EDIT huh, i just realized, i've tried almost every single IS mech, and if you count Trials, i actually have tried everything. Or almost, don't think i've ever piloted a Stalker. But then it doesn't really appeal to me. Oh, and i've never touched the Trenchbucket either, but it isn't terribly different from the Catapult, is it?

EDIT DAMN IT! I just realized the issue with alts: Don't have mech bays. Damn it. Getting them is going to be difficult, gotta wait for weekend events and rewards...

Shaitan

Neo Member
So I know the event goes till tomorrow at 10, but how did everyone make out in the end?
What was your best score?
And finally, what will you do with your winnings?

I played a total of 60 games during this event and I made collectively (thru tricks and gameplay) 18.5m cbills, 10k gxp, 150mc, skull pumpkin, normal pumpkin, 2 days premium time, and some misc ammo and consumables.

As for the score, I had an amazing game with my streak dog (he and the nova were my mechs of choice this weekend) and got a 1390 dmg game which equaled 177 points. By the end of that game I had used up all of my streaks.

Thanks to the gxp I was able to finish upgrading my seismic sensor and my sensor range modules. I have now skilled up all of the useful mech mods except capture axcell and the consumable buffs

With my money, I am kinda tempted to buy all three jagermechs but since I play primarily clan, I dont think they will see much use. On the other hand, I am very sick of running into dual ac20/gauss jaggs that core me in a single shot.

Giolon

The event goes until 10AM tomorrow most likely. In some places it says 10PM, but others it says 10AM and the morning time is typical for the end of a weekend challenge. Further, there is a warning that says all un-claimed grab bag tickets will expire at 12PM noon.

I'm done for the night, and this weekend in 36 matches I netted 1,250,000 C-bills, 3400 GXP, 125 MC, 2 days of premium time, 3 consumables, and 1 cockpit item. I had one match that I failed to qualify.

K.Jack

Used my earnings to buy a couple of the larger XL engines that I've been wanting.

Hopefully the events from now on stay as fun as this one was.

Top Bottom