• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Woorloog

Banned
So, this weekend is even more hell than the last one. Really.
I mean, you had win in the previous challenge. Now, people focus on maximizing their chances at a kill... yet since everyone does that... it doesn't work. Quite.

Oh and playing a slow assault sucks now. What do people do? They stay behind me. Sure, i can tank. One or two enemies, not the entire enemy team. Fuck.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Oh and playing a slow assault sucks now. What do people do? They stay behind me. Sure, i can tank. One or two enemies, not the entire enemy team. Fuck.

That's why I've been enjoying my Gargoyle. Running at 89kph without a fragile IS XL engine is great. It's a flawed mech but I prefer it to my Battlemaster right now.

Woorloog

Banned
BTW, have IS ERLLs have gotten heat generation increase at some point? Because my Firebrand feels like it overheats too fast nowadays.

Woorloog

Banned
Explains why my Firebrand is that great anymore. It used to be really good. Now it overheats fast enough it is just good (also very unsuitable for this weekend event as it isn't good at short range but getting kills at long range is difficult).

Giolon

Explains why my Firebrand is that great anymore. It used to be really good. Now it overheats fast enough it is just good (also very unsuitable for this weekend event as it isn't good at short range but getting kills at long range is difficult).

The FB does have a Laser Duration (and heat!) quirk:

Additional Structure LT/RT +7
Ballistic Weapon Velocity +10%
Energy Weapon Cooldown -10%
PPC Heat Generation -7.5%
Energy Weapon Heat Generation -7.5%
PPC Velocity +20%
Laser Duration -10%

I checked the Smurfy archives, and the IS LL/ER-LL durations and heat haven't changed since at least November 28 (the earliest weapon stats they still host).

K.Jack

Eh I'm going to pass on this event. The hours necessary just don't equal the reward, the format sucks, and every match is just both teams kamikaze rushing into a brawl.

The only "challenge" is to my patience. They seriously had to double the points necessary for the mech? Sheesh. All I really want is the paint unlock anyway.

Woorloog

Banned
I checked the Smurfy archives, and the IS LL/ER-LL durations and heat haven't changed since at least November 28 (the earliest weapon stats they still host).

Well, i did skip most of November and December so, yeah, it is a new change for me.
Though i swear it feels different, and that the quirks do not actually that much effect.

Alternatively i get hot maps constantly when taking the mech out.

Has AC5 been changed in anyway?

Woorloog

Banned
*Shrug*
I guess the combination of quirks and ERLL changes leaves the mech to cool down slightly slower.

Challenge done... up to 60 points. Not bothering going above. And that blue wasn't worth it really. Heck, the Adder itself was barely worth it, the sale value is pretty low really (i'll Basic it first though. Expect that sucks as well). The MechBay's good of course. Not that i ever manage to fill all of my bays...

At least the challenge was a good excuse to get the Atlas D-DC and a couple of Banshee variants to Elite my La Malinche and that loyalty reward Atlas.
8xMPL Banshee, with XL380 (ripped from La Malinche) and 28 single heat sinks was glorious, a pulse saw. A real monster in close combat. And stuffing 4xAC2 to the standard Banshee was fun as well, constant barrage gets people panicking quite quickly.
I just need one more Atlas (RS, as i have a lot of XP for it through the trial Atlas)... Then i'll get myself some Cataphracts. And then Dragons. Provides PGI finally gets the goddamn models redone, if a game has customization, it should have visual effects as well nowadays! No excuses. (Still don't understand how come the game lacks inverse kinematics when Mechwarrior 4 had those!)

K.Jack

I just need one more Atlas (RS, as i have a lot of XP for it through the trial Atlas)... Then i'll get myself some Cataphracts. And then Dragons. Provides PGI finally gets the goddamn models redone, if a game has customization, it should have visual effects as well nowadays! No excuses. (Still don't understand how come the game lacks inverse kinematics when Mechwarrior 4 had those!)

The Cataphract is finally getting its visual pass, coming in the March 17th patch. I can finally level them up. Now I just need them to do the damn Cicada.

Screenshots of for the Grasshopper and Zeus are up...
https://static.mwomercs.com/img/news/media/0c2b4eff244045547bfdf0fc86dc54e4.jpg
https://static.mwomercs.com/img/news/media/b82d69b2b7460042c2712723d267292e.jpg

The Grasshopper does look pretty good. Definitively in my "to-buy" list, jumpy, zombie, energy boat sounds rather interesting.

They both look great. Grasshopper will be a very competitive mech in MWO.

Woorloog

Banned
The Cataphract is finally getting its visual pass, coming in the March 17th patch. I can finally level them up. Now I just need them to do the damn Cicada.
It seems they originally tried for this week's patch (according to the Town Hall, IIRC). A shame, i figure i won't bother playing this weekend, especially since the event is meh.

Also, i suddenly started wanting a Dragon (i have XL360 in my inventory) and Thunderbolt (again). Damn it. Never have enough C-bills for everything. Still have Eliting the Atlas underway...

They both look great. Grasshopper will be a very competitive mech in MWO.

Not sure what to think about the Zeus. On one had, it does look pretty good, and it is fast assault and something of a generalist,attributes i like. On the other hand, it is a generalist, with somewhat weird hardpoints (like, missiles in arm), so it may not be among the most effective mechs (especially since there's a minimum range for LRMs so the arm mount's flexibility is wasted for them. SRMs? Meh).

K.Jack

I'm thinking the Zues will operate well as a fast strike brawler. The XL390 means 86.9kph after tweak, which is plenty of speed for me. I'm not sure what engine you'd allow yourself to use.

Off to level my Enforcers, Panthers, and King Crabs and, and....

Woorloog

Banned
I'm thinking the Zues will operate well as a fast strike brawler. The XL390 means 86.9kph after tweak, which is plenty of speed for me. I'm not sure what engine you'd allow yourself to use.

Off to level my Enforcers, Panthers, and King Crabs and, and....

Tonnage X number of hexes for walking (multiply by 1.5 to get run speed), so 400 rated engine is the max. The mech comes with 320, since it is a 4/6 80 tonner.
Hurr, 5/8 assault would be pretty darn nice actually... EDIT Gargoyle has that. Also Pretty Baby. Not sure if there are others in MWO that can move that fast...

K.Jack

Tonnage X number of hexes for walking (multiply by 1.5 to get run speed), so 400 rated engine is the max. The mech comes with 320, since it is a 4/6 80 tonner.
Hurr, 5/8 assault would be pretty darn nice actually... EDIT Gargoyle has that. Also Pretty Baby. Not sure if there are others in MWO that can move that fast...

Wait for your self imposed rules will allow you to run the Zues with a max 390 engine?

I'm a bit slow on how TT hex movement rules translate to MWO

Woorloog

Banned
Wait for your self imposed rules will allow you to run the Zues with a max 390 engine?

I'm a bit slow on how TT hex movement rules translate to MWO

Nope. For 80 tonner, 80, 160, 240, 320 and 400 are acceptable engines.

That said, 320 is enough, IMO, 64kph is plenty for an assault really.

K.Jack

Oh I get it, sorta.

You should get into Battlemasters. They're fun with XL400s. I love my Battlemasters.

Dragon Slayer can run an XL400 too.

Woorloog

Banned
There is of course issue of XL400 costing so much... Also, the Battlemaster's max engine is what it runs, 340, in the TT rules.
I have considered getting one though... but that will have to wait.

Bought a Dragon, 5N (wanted to use UAC for change, i use AC5s so much already). Stuffed XL360 to it.
Interesting, fun drive... but doesn't exactly work in MWO, at least in my hands. Would be a great harassing mech but since that role doesn't exists in MWO... nor does the role of a skirmisher...
FPS problems don't help either, missing shots with that mech is dangerous.
Still, running around in a heavy nearly 100kph is fun.

Speaking of that, the Dragon is really a big medium, and the Zeus is a big heavy. The Awesome, despite being only as big the Zeus, is a proper assault due to its heavy firepower and lack of maneuverability.

EDIT Dragon Slayer maybe fast but i don't like Victors in this game. The jump jets are too underpowered. Call me about the Victors when they can truly jump (heck, this applies to every damn jump-capable mech really).

Woorloog

Banned
There's an event today. Loot event. Fun.

Also, there may be a hot fix tomorrow that includes changes to movement archetypes for some mechs. The Grasshopper is currently huge but Russ doesn't like it so...

Giolon

Urbanmech screenshots!

f079ccad55fdcec34364646f094e9407.jpg
51de4de09f56aa9fae29a52000757125.jpg
b6304785e261c2288647f8ea7a0e4a33.jpg

Pre-orders deliver April 7 patch.

K.Jack

Lol that's so adorable. Not even the MWOmercs forum can bitch about that.

My life sucks right now. Had to send my gaming laptop off for repair, so I'm stuck playing MWO on a potato laptop my mom had. Pentium dual core and years old integrated Intel graphics.

I don't understand how people manage to play this game at 15fps. It's brutal, omg.

Woorloog

Banned
They fucking ruined my Firebrand! Can't use it with those teeny tiny guns. Goddammit.
And the Cataphract isn't much better either... perhaps i won't buy them after all. EDIT Wait, just saw some screenshots. The 4X is terrible with its left arm but otherwise, the Cataphract looks pretty good. OTOH, i would like to get a Stormcrow...

The Urbie looks great. Gotta get one at least when it will be for C-Bills.

15fps? OK, i won't be bitch about how i get low performance, my laptop can keep up almost 30 even battles (and above elsewhere). The latest patch broke something once again, the game runs worse than it used to...

K.Jack

Russ said he wasn't thrilled about the Jager either, so he was going to have a talk with the art department. So hopefully that means the big cannons are coming back.

What are the specs of your laptop? This thing has some derivative of the Intel HD2000, an ancient iGPU. I imagine an HD4000 would do pretty well. Huh, never thought I'd kill for an HD4000 lol.

Woorloog

Banned
Specs? Decent, for a laptop, i'd imagine. Some Core i5 CPU (M version, of course), Geforce GT630M (pretty sure it uses shared memory), 6GB RAM.
In retrospect, i paid a bit too much for this (700€) but then everything costs too much here in Finland. Especially games, even used ones. I always see GAFers saying how half a year and games price's drop a lot, which may be true elsewhere but not here...

EDIT Oh, and the Mist Lynx? Nice of PGI to have it as a Trial mech. It is actually pretty damn fun to drive around, though it isn't terribly effective as it is.

Just started playing earlier this week. Surprised my old PC can run it at medium settings.

Used the cadet bonuses to buy a Timberwolf C. Community warfare is interesting and fun but not when you're stuck with a bunch of randoms against a organized group.

K.Jack

Specs? Decent, for a laptop, i'd imagine. Some Core i5 CPU (M version, of course), Geforce GT630M (pretty sure it uses shared memory), 6GB RAM.
In retrospect, i paid a bit too much for this (700€) but then everything costs too much here in Finland. Especially games, even used ones. I always see GAFers saying how half a year and games price's drop a lot, which may be true elsewhere but not here...

EDIT Oh, and the Mist Lynx? Nice of PGI to have it as a Trial mech. It is actually pretty damn fun to drive around, though it isn't terribly effective as it is.

The GT 630M is still a fine GPU, once the best midrange mobile GPU you could get. Worlds beyond this integrated crap I'm using.

I did manage to score in enough matches to finally find a mech bay, so I think I'm done for the week. 15fps (and lower) is so tough, it's like my mech is stuck in Jello.

Just started playing earlier this week. Surprised my old PC can run it at medium settings.

Used the cadet bonuses to buy a Timberwolf C. Community warfare is interesting and fun but not when you're stuck with a bunch of randoms against a organized group.

Welcome to MWO. You certainly bought the right mech with your bonus.

Yeah randoms have no shot without people willing to use VOIP.

Add me in game if you'd like. ID = Kevjack

Welcome to MWO. You certainly bought the right mech with your bonus.

Yeah randoms have no shot without people willing to use VOIP.

Add me in game if you'd like. ID = Kevjack

Cool. I added you. I'm enjoying the timberwolf. Right now trying to save up to kit it out with 4 streak srm 6s, and 4 medium pulse lasers.

I'm getting memory allocation errors when i play CW and only during CW. Well sometimes, but if I leave the game at lower settings, its fine. I read cause it might be because I'm running win 32 and not 64.

Edit: I tried the 3 s-srm6s and peeakboo fighting and its fun and having a easier time blowing components off. cant wait to be able to afford the 4th s-srm.

K.Jack

Check out this weekend event: http://mwomercs.com/news/2015/03/1144-prove-your-allegiance-event-starts-march-27th

Stormcrow Prime... goddamnit, got so much stuff to do this weekend.
How easy it is to get 80pts in a match in CW for a solo dropper?

It's just like getting 80 points in the pub queue, except you get 4x as many enemy mechs to get there. A couple kills, 500 damage, and a dozen or so assists is probably well over 80 points.

I wish I could play, just because selling a Prime Crow nets like 5M cbills.

Woorloog

Banned
A couple of kills... uh. My mech selection is not exactly stellar, and the Jagermech getting ruined by the previous patch means i dislike playing with it (yes, i do care how my mech looks).

K.Jack

I'd be shocked if 18 or so assists wasn't an 80. I'd find out for you, but there's no way I'm playing CW at 10fps on this junk laptop.

Check out this weekend event: http://mwomercs.com/news/2015/03/1144-prove-your-allegiance-event-starts-march-27th

Stormcrow Prime... goddamnit, got so much stuff to do this weekend.
How easy it is to get 80pts in a match in CW for a solo dropper?

A couple of kills... uh. My mech selection is not exactly stellar, and the Jagermech getting ruined by the previous patch means i dislike playing with it (yes, i do care how my mech looks).

I just got 3 pts if its 80 pts or higher.

Half of my drop deck is trial mechs. Just shoot at everyone to make sure you get those assists. Focus fire when there aren't a lot of targets or when they're not shooting at you.

Easy when defending. I just strafe my lasers when they're all rushing through the gates in a line.

Woorloog

Banned
Bah, this doesn't work at all. My mechs are too slow (i tend to have slower, up-gunned mechs).
Also, randoms do what randoms do...

EDIT Defenders just keep sniping... we... well, i don't know. I have too slow mechs to get out of their firing lanes. I am a brawler, not a a sniper (my Firebrand aside, and i tend to brawl with it as well).

And the matches last too long. Inefficient. Also hate the big maps. Figure i won't play after all, the mech's not worth this.

Woorloog

Banned
What a surprise.

And i already forgot this was even happening, Open TTD is engrossing, along with all the other shit that's going on.

*Sigh*
Can't say i'm happy with the direction MWO is taking right now, i have a feeling things will get worse sooner or later...

K.Jack

63 matches is laughably low. I saw that and haven't even bothered opening my unit's Teamspeak to see if they're dropping.

GL getting 50 matches in

Shaitan

Neo Member
well 50 CW matches is kinda ridiculous regardless...

anyway while i wish PGI had fixed the que issues of getting dropped, I dont even consider blaming them for IS wait times. Not their fault that the clans dont have the numbers to combat IS in an even playing field.

Ketch

so i played this for a tiny bit when it came out but didn't like how grindy unintuitive the leveling system was. I was thinking about reinstalling it to see how it looks with my new graphics card, have they rejiggered the progression and stuff? Is it more new player friendly or what?

Woorloog

Banned
What do you mean the leveling is/was unintuitive?

Here's how it works:
You play with a mech variant, you gain XP for it and spend it to Basic efficiencies. Get three variants of the same mech to Basic level and you can now unlock Elite efficiencies (and then Master after Eliting three variants of the same chassis).
The game is skill intensive enough you don't necessarily need any efficiencies, the Elite one specifically (though Eliting a mech doubles the Basic efficiency boosts), though they help certainly.
Getting a variant to Basic level doesn't require that much effort really, some 21,500XP if i recall correctly, which can be gained with a few hours of playing if you're good.

Not a terribly good system, and it is grindy as the game is a F2P game so they need to have system that gets people to pay for the game.

Not that you need to pay, one can do just fine without buying anything for real money, if you plan things carefully and take to learn things.

EDIT Learning the game itself is more difficult as there is no tutorial. Recommend playing with trial mechs until you get the hang of mechanics, then consider what kind of mech you'd like and plan its equipment (use http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ for that) before buying it (and remember you can save builds and link them for others, you can ask how's this, how's that).

Ketch

Like I said it was a really long time ago when I played it. It was fun, reminded me of world of tanks, but with giant mechs. I just had no idea how to use any of the stuff between matches, like what I was supposed to be doing to "level up" so to speak... it was a really long time ago so I can't really remember the details. I'm going to give it a go regardless, I was just wondering if there had been any major updates that focused on new users or accessibility or anything like that.

Woorloog

Banned
New user accessibility is not that great really.

And yes, it is like World of Tanks but with mechs. Apparently. My attempts at WoT stopped with the tutorial, i could not stand it, so i cannot say for sure.

I seriously recommend playing with trial mechs until you figure out the game (check Youtube for videos, let's plays, whatever, i'm pretty sure there are some kind of tutorials or something).
Don't buy stuff before you know what you're doing, stuff is expensive enough you don't want to burn your C-bills for something worthless.

Nowadays, many Trial mechs are at least decent, unlike before when they were stock models, and thus worthless in real matches.

Giolon

Like I said it was a really long time ago when I played it. It was fun, reminded me of world of tanks, but with giant mechs. I just had no idea how to use any of the stuff between matches, like what I was supposed to be doing to "level up" so to speak... it was a really long time ago so I can't really remember the details. I'm going to give it a go regardless, I was just wondering if there had been any major updates that focused on new users or accessibility or anything like that.

Not yet, but a new user tutorial is coming up very soon they've said. It might night be what you need though.

It sounds like you might need a resource like http://metamechs.com/, or just browse the Outreach HPG subreddit and ask questions.

Also, FWIW, in last week's town hall meeting it was also brought up that the skill trees are coming up higher priority for being redone since they were always meant to be placeholders but there have always been higher priority things that needed worked on.

Woorloog

Banned
Also, FWIW, in last week's town hall meeting it was also brought up that the skill trees are coming up higher priority for being redone since they were always meant to be placeholders but there have always been higher priority things that needed worked on.

Curiously, there's always something "high priority".

BTW, did people here know that LB-X/Standard round swapping for Clan LB-X ACs has been cancelled? Something about "nightmare code" or such. What a surprise. Somehow i doubt they ever intended to do that...

Top Bottom