• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

What is the GAF community like for this atm?

I used to be in a DC clan but I am not sure how active it is now.

I really like the Community Warfare mode so far, but it is annoying dropping solo IS against a full Ghost Bear 12 man.

Giolon

we will be able to buy it in store later right? its not a one time thing?

Yep. This is just another early access type deal like the Clans and other mech packs. The only special thing this time around is they weren't going to make it if there wasn't enoug interest.

cirrhosis

What is the GAF community like for this atm?

I used to be in a DC clan but I am not sure how active it is now.

I really like the Community Warfare mode so far, but it is annoying dropping solo IS against a full Ghost Bear 12 man.

I roll with House Steiner - Skye Rangers (SRoT). We have a number of units with various levels of activity - TS always has a couple groups going on any given evening. Not sure about activity during the day (EST) as I work then.

CW is so much better when you drop with fellow robot bros.

I solo a lot too - feel free to add me under the same username in-game.

Woorloog

Banned
Feels odd to play again after a few months.
And i'm already despairing, 11 million C-bills is so much... takes forever to grind it.
And since i doubt i'll actually play that much, i still have no incentive to activate my premium time. Why can't it be based on in-game time... would be so very, very nice.

And of course, the damn new bog map is one of those than don't run well on my laptop. Might as well throw any matches on that map. Only missile boats work at 20fps.

Feels odd to play again after a few months.
And i'm already despairing, 11 million C-bills is so much... takes forever to grind it.
And since i doubt i'll actually play that much, i still have no incentive to activate my premium time. Why can't it be based on in-game time... would be so very, very nice.

And of course, the damn new bog map is one of those than don't run well on my laptop. Might as well throw any matches on that map. Only missile boats work at 20fps.

I am surprised how well my tiny little Steam machine prototype is playing the game on high.

I am also regretting starting up my premium time. I am so used to games like Marvel Heroes where your boosts and stuff don't even tick down when you are in hubs.
And I am about to go overseas on a business trip for about 10 days.... Kinda made a shitty decision starting it up already.

I also dropped down on the $40 Resistance pack, as I am enjoying the game in its current state.
I left when the metagame was dominated by packs of ECM Ravens taking advantage of laggy hitboxes. In a much better state now in comparison.

At least when I get back from my trip I will have my new Panther and Enforcer mechs to enjoy
grind
!

Although I was an idiot and bought too late for the 3 month bonuses. I thought they were going on PST time and not UTC. Maybe I can convince support to throw me a bone since I barely missed the deadline.

Woorloog

Banned
I noticed i actually get low FPS on all maps now. Probably should delete shaders and let them regenerate or something? EDIT Low in this context is lower than low, ie about 20 instead of about 25. Don't try to play with lights at that FPS range, it is not a good idea...
Updating drivers would be a good idea, except i need older version i currently have to play Tiberian Sun without issues...

Woorloog

Banned
Soo... the game got a new map, loyalty rewards, titles, other stuff.
Also, the Mist Lynx is now available for C-bills.
Is the mech any good? Fun?
And not just as an ECM carrier, does it work as a striker if equipped as such (eg, a laser and a pair of SRM launchers)?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Soo... the game got a new map, loyalty rewards, titles, other stuff.
Also, the Mist Lynx is now available for C-bills.
Is the mech any good? Fun?
And not just as an ECM carrier, does it work as a striker if equipped as such (eg, a laser and a pair of SRM launchers)?

DO NOT waste your cbills.

daedalius

Just reinstalled after quite a long break, wow lots of stuff is different.

Definitely need to save up for the mad cat! Is my jump jet equipped cataphract still ok?

K.Jack

Just reinstalled after quite a long break, wow lots of stuff is different.

Definitely need to save up for the mad cat! Is my jump jet equipped cataphract still ok?

Yeah the CTF-3D (and CTF in general) is still one of the strongest IS heavies. Dakka never goes out of style.

Woorloog

Banned
The previous patch really helped with my frame rate. I don't know what they did but the game's smoother overall. Still have problems in big battles but whatever.

Also figured that i don't particularly care for the Timber Wolf. I don't know what's wrong with it but... eh.
One thing i absolutely had to do is to run it without machine guns, for the damn ammo always blows up. Small laser and extra LRM ammo are better.

I think i will trade it for a Mad Dog... The Mad Dog is cooler looking and has some interesting configs. Not terribly different from the Timber Wolf on paper but...

I never liked the Mad Cat in Mechwarrior IV that much, the Vulture was much more fun.

K.Jack

I mastered the Timber Wolf, but haven't touched it in months.

Love my Mad Dog though. Either 6x SRM6+A or 6x SSRM4.

Woorloog

Banned
I did get myself a Mad Dog (A). I don't know why but it feels so much better than the Timber Wolf for some reason. Certainly has better visibility.
I replaced the PPC with a Large Pulse Laser (i can't hit anything with PPCs anymore) and the LB-X with an Ultra. The missiles i replaced with 4xSSRM4 and an Active Probe to keep them functional everywhere. Pretty nice machine, as i run it, versatile though i do miss LRMs. I do wonder if i should have gone with the B model.
(I run it with stock armor as i do with all Omnis. I better never get a Hellbringer.)

A shame it isn't the Mad Dog IV though. There's so much cool stuff in the Dark Ages... i kinda hope that if we ever get another Mechwarrior game, it should be set in the Dark Ages.

K.Jack

I did get myself a Mad Dog (A). I don't know why but it feels so much better than the Timber Wolf for some reason. Certainly has better visibility.
I replaced the PPC with a Large Pulse Laser (i can't hit anything with PPCs anymore) and the LB-X with an Ultra. The missiles i replaced with 4xSSRM4 and an Active Probe to keep them functional everywhere. Pretty nice machine, as i run it, versatile though i do miss LRMs. I do wonder if i should have gone with the B model.
(I run it with stock armor as i do with all Omnis. I better never get a Hellbringer.)

A shame it isn't the Mad Dog IV though. There's so much cool stuff in the Dark Ages... i kinda hope that if we ever get another Mechwarrior game, it should be set in the Dark Ages.

The A is the best missile platform in the game. 6x LRM5s is a wicked build.

Wooooow I lucked out the other day!

As I said in a previous post, I bought the Resistance pack just a little bit too late in order to get the 3 Month bonus items. However, I contacted support and they were nice enough to make an exception because I live in a weird time zone and barely missed the deadline.

However, I didn't have the skills unlocked yet which meant they couldn't inject the modules properly. So the CS rep said he would give me 40,000 GXP to unlock them, which was awesome of him.

And then I logged on to find 400,000 GXP in my account.

^______^

K.Jack

Wooooow I lucked out the other day!

As I said in a previous post, I bought the Resistance pack just a little bit too late in order to get the 3 Month bonus items. However, I contacted support and they were nice enough to make an exception because I live in a weird time zone and barely missed the deadline.

However, I didn't have the skills unlocked yet which meant they couldn't inject the modules properly. So the CS rep said he would give me 40,000 GXP to unlock them, which was awesome of him.

And then I logged on to find 400,000 GXP in my account.

^______^

Hahahaha wow that's amazing. Congrats.

On a different note, I kinda like the Enforcer. I've done pretty well with all 3 so far.

The 4R seems like it's easily the best variant. XL255, 2x JJs, AC10, one LL, 3x ML is nice.

Woorloog

Banned
12 fucking assists, victory... and no kills. Fuck.

EDIT Also, the fucking game keeps crashing. Search match, crash. Quit match, crash.

Woorloog

Banned
Fucking Streaks are worthless without an Active Probe.

Fucking PGI, why couldn't they make the ECM electronics counter, a device that negates TAG, Artemis IV, BAP, limit target sharing and perhaps mess with modules. Still would be useful.

EDIT LRM indirect fire a problem? Require either TAG, or reduce their range to 660 meters like in the tabletop game.

K.Jack

12 fucking assists, victory... and no kills. Fuck.

EDIT Also, the fucking game keeps crashing. Search match, crash. Quit match, crash.

These events are frustrating. I'm halfway to the 25 points for the Raven, and feSel like quitting. Too bad I really want the mech and its XL295.

A certain number of assists should negate the need to get a kill.

Fucking Streaks are worthless without an Active Probe.

Fucking PGI, why couldn't they make the ECM electronics counter, a device that negates TAG, Artemis IV, BAP, limit target sharing and perhaps mess with modules. Still would be useful.

EDIT LRM indirect fire a problem? Require either TAG, or reduce their range to 660 meters like in the tabletop game.

They had that whole 'fix ECM reform' crap so long ago, and it came to nothing. So many good ideas from the community, ignored.

Woorloog

Banned
Bought a Mad Dog Prime. Ended up liking it better than the A. I run it as it were a fast Catapult, four Medium Lasers, two Artemis enhanced LRM20s, six tons of ammo, a Targeting Computer and an Active Probe. Can't jump but the increased speed makes up for that.

I have some 15 points for the tournament... i have hard time getting kills, as i rarely equip my mechs with high alpha, i usually run with more flexible, generalist loadouts.
EDIT Wait, my Atlas (L) has high alpha. And range of 270m, and no speed. And i get open maps if i pick it. I never get to play that mining colony, i like it.

Woorloog

Banned
Oh. Never crashed for me... had some FPS problems early on but that's all.

My game keeps crashing constantly... it has crashed probably 20 times today. Repair tool did nothing.
Quit match and when match is found cause crashes.

Woorloog

Banned
Got 25 points. Terrible grind... Ugh.
Affected negatively to my playing, as i have to go after kills rather than just play normally...

Not sure what to do with the Raven though. The engine's pretty worthless to me, i wouldn't use it in the Raven (i stick, as always, to TT construction rules so the engine rating has to be a multiple of the mechs weight). I'm not sure but think no mech uses 295 rated engine... there are combat vehicles in Battletech that can use it but no mech does.
Guess i'll sell it, C-bills are welcome after all.

EDIT Ah, now i know what i do with the Raven. Haven't been able to do anything useful with Oxide, so i'll move its engine to the Raven and equip it for scouting etc.

K.Jack

Challenge has been extended a full 24 hours, to 10am PST (1pm EST) on Tuesday. Now I can coast in instead of having to grind heavily.

Woorloog

Banned
Funny. Originally i thought i was a light/medium mech player and a support player.
Perhaps i was at some point, or i thought that would be fun.
Right now, i find myself liking assault mechs. Not heavies (having bad luck with my Firebrand and Mad Dogs), assaults. More guns, more armor. I don't know if it is the current metagame or what.
Gotta Elite my Atlas (L) and La Malinche.
A shame it takes so long for the next Clan wave to arrive, the Executioner looks kinda nice... never been a fan of it before. (The version in Mechwarrior IV Mercs is really terrible looking thing.)

EDIT Huh, the trial Warhawk is pretty fun mech once i got the firing pattern down.

Glad to hear the event got extended. I barely even played because I was having trouble finding CW groups and I was also just tired from traveling a bunch last week for work.

I am at 10 or so kills so I hope I can at least get the Raven before it ends. I have wanted to try out those chassis for a while now, but keep buying other things.

Woorloog

Banned
The next weekend event will have some kind Clan reward, according to Russ Bullock's twitter.
I wonder if they will actually give away a mech... and if so, which mech. Perhaps the Nova or Kit Fox, something that isn't particularly popular.

El'Kharn

lACuMXu.jpg

sexeh

daedalius

If you like the Cauldron-Born, i guess... i have never cared for that mech in anyway. The only positive thing i have to say about it is that it is strictly speaking better than the Hellbringer (ignoring MWO's ECM).

EDIT Speaking of the mech, it just had a "Mech of the Week" article over at Battletech forums, in case someone is interested: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-articles/(another)-mech-of-the-week-the-cauldron-born/

I always ran a CB with like, LBX20s in each arm in Mercs. Some other guns too, but it was definitely a brawler.

I kind of wish they just had a regular release version of their game where you could have everything unlocked. The grind of getting enough cbills to buy a madcat for myself seems too steep.

Woorloog

Banned
I always ran a CB with like, LBX20s in each arm in Mercs. Some other guns too, but it was definitely a brawler.

I kind of wish they just had a regular release version of their game where you could have everything unlocked. The grind of getting enough cbills to buy a madcat for myself seems too steep.

"Buy everything at once" edition? Won't happen, it is a F2P game after all. If you're willing to pay, you could get a Clan pack, or buy the Timber Wolf from a la carte. It is 50 bucks or so, iirc (needless to say, not a very good deal really).

daedalius

"Buy everything at once" edition? Won't happen. If you're willing to pay, you could get a Clan pack, or buy the Timber Wolf from a la carte. It is 50 bucks or so, iirc (needless to say, not a very good deal really).

I'm not willing to pay for that, I would be willing to pay for an actual release without all the freemium hooks. But obviously its not going to happen, unfortunately.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm not willing to pay for that, I would be willing to pay for an actual release without all the freemium hooks. But obviously its not going to happen, unfortunately.

Yeah, won't happen because as long as freemium is profitable, there is no point in essentially removing them.
Tribes Ascend did offer such thing... but the game was essentially dying, so it was kind of latch ditch effort (and didn't help any apparently). At least, so i understood that case. MWO definitively isn't dying, or even struggling.

(BTW, there's talk about PVE content coming this year. No details of any kind, and i guess it will slip to next year in the end but just something to ponder.)

Woorloog

Banned
Saw a claim that the weekend reward mech will be the Adder. Apparently according to a MWO newsletter...?
Can anyone confirm?

Never been a Adder fan but i'll be willing to grind for it, just to sell it. C-bills are always welcome. As are Mech Bays, as it likely will come with one, no?

Giolon

Saw a claim that the weekend reward mech will be the Adder. Apparently according to a MWO newsletter...?
Can anyone confirm?

Never been a Adder fan but i'll be willing to grind for it, just to sell it. C-bills are always welcome. As are Mech Bays, as it likely will come with one, no?

The Adder is shown in a promo for the Feb 27 - Mar 2 "Adder Up Event" in the newsletter.

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, ok. I think i've unsubscribed from the newsletter long ago... besides, i never got them in-time for some reason.
Hopefully the event won't be such a terrible grind as the previous one was.

That Cauldron Born art is making it reaalllllllyyyy hard not to drop some cash on Wave 3.

Not planning to play for the Clan factions for a long time, but both the Shadow Cat and Cauldron-Born are some of my favorite designs. I guess I will just decide in the next few days. Was thinking about just getting the Arctic Cheetah pack as people seem convinced it will be a great light....

K.Jack

Yeah it's worth something like 3 million c-bills, and a Mech bay. I'll grind for that.

Hopefully they changed the freaking formula.

That Cauldron Born art is making it reaalllllllyyyy hard not to drop some cash on Wave 3.

Not planning to play for the Clan factions for a long time, but both the Shadow Cat and Cauldron-Born are some of my favorite designs. I guess I will just decide in the next few days. Was thinking about just getting the Arctic Cheetah pack as people seem convinced it will be a great light....
Arctic Cheater will be a god-tier light.

The entire Wave 3 is scary mech after scary mech.

Woorloog

Banned
Just some rambling and musings.

I wonder what IS mechs we'll be getting next.
I figure the Crab and Black Knight are not impossible, and there are many others that are viable options... and once MASC is implemented, CTF-3L and other MASC variants might be added. Frankly, i'm more interested in new variants for old mechs than new mechs.

After the Clan Wave 3, there are not many Clan Omnis that can be added, the Viper and Dasher (though i'm not sure if it is too fast), perhaps some older Omnis (Woodsman) but i think the old ones are unlikely, at least lore-wise.

The latest Town Hall notes included Bullock liking the idea of adding IIC mechs, but i guess they may run into the Unseen issues, which is kind of odd considering Catalyst is OK with showing the Reseen Warhammers and the like, including redrawn IIC versions of those, so why PGI can't add those, given that the mechs would get new models anyway, most likely getting based on the reseens anyway.
The Clan secondline mechs beyond IICs are not particularly interesting or iconic, i think, at least the older ones. Post Clan-invasion and Jihad offer more interesting choices though.

Fucking legal problems, there's so much potential in the Battletech franchise but various bad decisions made by FASA have killed a lot of options (the video game rights are permanently with Microsoft, apparently legal issues prevent new novels, etc.)

Woorloog

Banned
Good news: The new challenge requires only a kill and an assist for a point.
The bad news... you need 50 points for the mech. Rewards go up to 80 though.

My playstyle for the weekend is clear: I shoot everyone i see in hopes of getting an assist eventually, and then proceed to pummel a single enemy to get a kill from them, even if that means i end up overheating myself to death.
Not good for my teams probably.. People can blame PGI for shit challenges for all i care.

Good news: The new challenge requires only a kill and an assist for a point.
The bad news... you need 50 points for the mech. Rewards go up to 80 though.

My playstyle for the weekend is clear: I shoot everyone i see in hopes of getting an assist eventually, and then proceed to pummel a single enemy to get a kill from them, even if that means i end up overheating myself to death.
Not good for my teams probably.. People can blame PGI for shit challenges for all i care.
This sort of thing will stop anyone using a light.

Everyone will rock heavy as usual to maximise there chance of a kill.

Last few times i've played i've been trying to use my Kit Fox but i just suck at it, i'm too much of a brawler and get into situation i shouldn't. It also doesn't have the speed to leg it out of trouble.

Want to get back into my CTF or hunchback and actually enjoy the game again.

K.Jack

I'll bet the next Inner Sphere release is the Clanbuster pack. That's about the last few usable mechs the IS has left, outside of the Cyclops assault mech.

Just some rambling and musings.

I wonder what IS mechs we'll be getting next.
I figure the Crab and Black Knight are not impossible, and there are many others that are viable options... and once MASC is implemented, CTF-3L and other MASC variants might be added. Frankly, i'm more interested in new variants for old mechs than new mechs.

After the Clan Wave 3, there are not many Clan Omnis that can be added, the Viper and Dasher (though i'm not sure if it is too fast), perhaps some older Omnis (Woodsman) but i think the old ones are unlikely, at least lore-wise.

The latest Town Hall notes included Bullock liking the idea of adding IIC mechs, but i guess they may run into the Unseen issues, which is kind of odd considering Catalyst is OK with showing the Reseen Warhammers and the like, including redrawn IIC versions of those, so why PGI can't add those, given that the mechs would get new models anyway, most likely getting based on the reseens anyway.
The Clan secondline mechs beyond IICs are not particularly interesting or iconic, i think, at least the older ones. Post Clan-invasion and Jihad offer more interesting choices though.

Fucking legal problems, there's so much potential in the Battletech franchise but various bad decisions made by FASA have killed a lot of options (the video game rights are permanently with Microsoft, apparently legal issues prevent new novels, etc.)

I'm guessing PGI wants nothing to do with even the idea of Harmony Gold filing a C&D order over an Unseen/Reseen mech.

I reeeeally want the Huntsman.

This sort of thing will stop anyone using a light.

Everyone will rock heavy as usual to maximise there chance of a kill.

Last few times i've played i've been trying to use my Kit Fox but i just suck at it, i'm too much of a brawler and get into situation i shouldn't. It also doesn't have the speed to leg it out of trouble.

Want to get back into my CTF or hunchback and actually enjoy the game again.

Kitfox isn't for me either. I enjoy the ECM support role, but the Kit just can't pack enough firepower to make a huge difference. Then when things get up close you're dead if anyone sneezes at you.

When I'm in my fast mediums, I always smile when I run into a Kitfox.

Top Bottom