• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medabots: Girls Mission Announced For Nintendo 3DS

dominatrixbot
EleGiggle.png

First Fire Emblem with Idols and now Medabots with Dating Sims...

Japan, there's a legit problem happening here.

Though I'm curious to see this encroachment of otaku pandering into existing series to its next steps.
How bad could it actually get?

I demand outrageous hilarious answers to this question.

I thought it was just a Medarot game aimed at a female audience; Medarot is not an IP catered towards young adults but more towards kids.

squall23

Hey, to be fair, Inazuma Eleven is a JRPG series about junior high soccer aimed at kids yet the main character will eventually have 3 girls wanting him.

Worked out great because best waifu won.

tolkir

Hey, at least it works to know that Medarot still exist. There was a new Medarot with boys two weeks ago and GAF didn't give a damn.

This thread has more posts that each other Medarot thread.

StayDead

I like how usually games with female protagonists and characters are badly wanted, then one is announced it's some kind of joke? I don't get it.

Looks cool.

No idea what Medabots is but this sounds cute. Don't really see what the big problem is based on the information that's out there.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why is everyone getting their knickers in a twist over this? Have you not considered that perhaps they just want to appeal to young girls for once since gaming is still very much male orientated?

All I see in the OP is a game where you play as a girl and partner up with a female companion. Based on the logic on show in this thread I wouldn't be surprised if GAF thinks Style Boutique is a "otaku pandering" game because of the female focus.

Seems more like girl friendships and not Medabots Waifu Wars. It seems they want to appeal to a female demographic, as much as things like Sailor Moon does. As pair Japanese anime tradition theres going to be a yuri joke here and there, but its not going to pan to anything serious. Dont understand some of the uproar this is creating.

Also, I think Takao was banned for a week or something.

Why is everyone getting their knickers in a twist over this? Have you not considered that perhaps they just want to appeal to young girls for once since gaming is still very much male orientated?

All I see in the OP is a game where you play as a girl and partner up with a female companion. Based on the logic on show in this thread I wouldn't be surprised if GAF thinks Style Boutique is a "otaku pandering" game because of the female focus.

This post isn't in earnest, is it?

So do Medabot games do well? I loved the anime when I was a kid and the concept seems really easy to gamify. I've never played one, but a pokemon style RPG with robots seems like a slam dunk.

Fandangox

I liked when his golden mask cracked as if his secret identity was going to be revealed, but then he just had the regular white mask underneath.

It was even funnier cause because iirc he was on his space medafighter costume (Which uses the exact same mask, but golden) and when the mask breaks everyone acts like is a huge surprise that X and Phantom are the same person.

HGH

Banned
I thought it was just a Medarot game aimed at a female audience; Medarot is not an IP catered towards young adults but more towards kids.
Honestly wondering here: what exactly makes this game seems more dubious than simply something made for little girls? Is it the artstyle?
Yeah, I'm seriously confused here too. Imagine if Sailor Moon came out in these years instead of the 90s, would people jump all over it going "eeeek otakus otakus ewww gross gross so pandering"?
Cynicism seems outta control I tell ya.

Yeah, I'm seriously confused here too. Imagine if Sailor Moon came out in these years instead of the 90s, would people jump all over it going "eeeek otakus otakus ewww gross gross so pandering"?
Cynicism seems outta control I tell ya.

Yeah, people definitely would. Just look at all the panty shots Sailor Moon has!

Kinsei

Banned
Honestly wondering here: what exactly makes this game seems more dubious than simply something made for little girls? Is it the artstyle?

The artstyle and character designs are what's doing it for me. At first glance it certainly doesn't seem like something aimed at young girls.

L Thammy

I think some of the character designs are a little questionable. If you look at the image in the link, the blonde-haired girl with the rose in her hair (top left) has an outfit that emphasizes her large beasts. And if you look down, there's a silver-haired girl with a different one that does the same thing. I think this can go either way.

That said, there certainly is a tendency for people to equate women in games with sex appeal. And the otaku focus of anime and anime-inspired games in recent years has made people wary of Japanese games in particular.

I think some of the character designs are a little questionable. If you look at the image in the link, the blonde-haired girl with the rose in her hair (top left) has an outfit that emphasizes her large beasts. And if you look down, there's a silver-haired girl with a different one that does the same thing. I think this can go either way.

That said, there certainly is a tendency for people to equate women in games with sex appeal. And the otaku focus of anime and anime-inspired games in recent years has made people wary of Japanese games in particular.

Honestly, large breasts are so common that it doesn't really light a fuse in my "things that stick out badly" box. It's too widespread to attribute it to one specific thing.

Toxi

Banned

Have you seen the art?

I was thinking people were overreacting and then I saw the art.

Busaiku

There aren't too many games primarily designed for little girls, but compare this to something like PriPara.
While the latter has a huge fanbase of grown men, characters aren't specifically designed for that market.

This seems to be following the trend from Digimon, and aiming for an older audience.

What exactly were you hoping for? Suspension of disbelief for human character designs can only go so far if we presume they are not to be robots/aliens/mutants etc.

Those character designs are awful if you grew up with Medabots, it has that generic look most anime have nowadays. The hell are you talking about suspension of disbelief?

L Thammy

Honestly, large breasts are so common that it doesn't really light a fuse in my "things that stick out badly" box. It's too widespread to attribute it to one specific thing.

I'm not talking so much about the breasts themselves as the costumes being designed to draw attention to them. But if we're talking about it being widespread, is it equally widespread in the shoujo market? If we're discussing whether or not this anime-inspired game is targeted at young girls, we should probably consider what anime and manga aimed at that target audience looks like. The ones I'm familiar with look like this, very different from this game:

Maybe things have changed over the years, but the style I see here doesn't really scream out "female target audience" to me.

Include dating (with a couple guy side characters thrown in for that). Might as well go all the way, put in them social links.

I have no opinion one way or the other regarding the game itself, but I saw this on my Facebook feed today. Yikes.

]http://i.imgur.com/mggxEbP.png[/IMG]

Ridiculous. Of course if this doesn't come out it's because of the shadowy SJW cabal, not like most of the series has remained in Japan regardless of how many girls are on the cover or anything.

I know it's just a few comments but dang, it gets me how early they start banging the drums.

Is this game form girls or for gurls?

Im confused D:

We'll see, but the fact that so far it's nothing but girls with no cute boys thrown in makes be think it's the latter.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm not talking so much about the breasts themselves as the costumes being designed to draw attention to them. But if we're talking about it being widespread, is it equally widespread in the shoujo market? If we're discussing whether or not this anime-inspired game is targeted at young girls, we should probably consider what anime and manga aimed at that target audience looks like. The ones I'm familiar with look like this, very different from this game:

Maybe things have changed over the years, but the style I see here doesn't really scream out "female target audience" to me.
Many shoujo and Josei manga still use those types designs. This is as generic otaku pandering designs as they come. Not remotely female pandering.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Otaku pandering art style? Come on sons, the things some of you are spouting are getting more ridiculous as the days go by.

You guys realise you are all otakus right. It's literally the Japanese equivalent of geek.

Oh and here's some screenshots from a recent shoujou anime, Sabagebu:

YwcEzSpl.png

pZvdrGIl.jpg

cEdB3stl.jpg

As you can see, not really like the examples posted earlier. It's just a demographic, not an art style. There's no rule to say what the art should look like if it's aimed at girls.

A big problem that I noticed are that games that targets young girls is obvious because they're the "barbie doll" equivalent of video games. PriPara, Precure, Aikatsu, you name it. And one of those properties has far more potential for games even.

For Medabots to be a game that explicitly targets young females, it would... be a barbie doll.

-Horizon-

Otaku pandering art style? Come on sons, the things some of you are spouting are getting more ridiculous as the days go by.

You guys realise you are all otakus right. It's literally the Japanese equivalent of geek.

YwcEzSpl.png

pZvdrGIl.jpg

cEdB3stl.jpg

As you can see, not really like the examples posted earlier. It's just a demographic, not an art style. There's no rule to say what the art should look like if it's aimed at girls.

oh man I love that show xD

Mesoian

Can I form a friendship with the scarylooking older lady in the background?

Because if not, no sale.

99% no sale either way

The artstyle and character designs are what's doing it for me. At first glance it certainly doesn't seem like something aimed at young girls.

That makes sense. It's quite difficult for me to intuitively detect these sort of things so I appreciate the explanation.

Speaking strictly of artstyle, I'd like to point out the pastel-y look with intricate lines does not really have a monopoly on the shoujo market:
There are pretty rare in comparison, though, so I understand the apprehension. For the game itself currently, I also think (hope?) it can go either way. The writing would ultimately decide this.

Wait, Sabagebu is shoujo? I'm pretty sure I've seen dakimakura of the girls from this show...

Top Bottom