• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medabots: Girls Mission Announced For Nintendo 3DS

-Horizon-

That makes sense. It's quite difficult for me to intuitively detect these sort of things so I appreciate the explanation.

Speaking strictly of artstyle, I'd like to point out the pastel-y look with intricate lines does not really have a monopoly on the shoujo market:

There are pretty rare in comparison, though, so I understand the apprehension. For the game itself currently, I also think (hope?) it can go either way. The writing would ultimately decide this.

Wait, Sabagebu is shoujo? I'm pretty sure I've seen dakimakura of the girls from this show...
I don't think the existence of hug pillows stops a show from being a shoujo.

And wiki tells me the manga runs in a shoujo magazine.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
For the game itself currently, I also think (hope?) it can go either way. The writing would ultimately decide this.
For what it's worth, the image in the OP has a heart shaped blurb that says "filled with cute girls!". The leaked scans also say that the target audience for this game is the oldest they've aimed for in medarots series history.

dity

I geard about this and just thought girls were the protags. Didn't know there was this whole "buddy" system.

C'mon, I don't wanna woo kids or anything. Toss that shit. Just gimme Medabots. LET ME RO-BATTLE JAPAN. LET ME DO IT.

For what it's worth, the image in the OP has a heart shaped blurb that says "filled with cute girls!". The leaked scans also say that the target audience for this game is the oldest they've aimed for in medarots series history.

That makes it seem like it's for pedos.

It's not for pedos is it?

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, a whole bunch of Medabots on 3DS. Isn't that what got the series put on ice in the first place?

Though, to be fair, a yearly schedule is small-time compared to GBC-era Medabots.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I geard about this and just thought girls were the protags. Didn't know there was this whole "buddy" system.

C'mon, I don't wanna woo kids or anything. Toss that shit. Just gimme Medabots. LET ME RO-BATTLE JAPAN. LET ME DO IT.
Just Medabots can't cut it anymore in this market environment; girl power is needed (it'll still fail).

Uhm.

This is clearly a Medabots for girls.

Not *of* girls, for girls.
Like genuinely for girls. Medabots doesn't really strike me as something that is particular "male oriented" in terms of the actual core idea. So I don't know, makes sense to try and take your already tiny niche, and see if maybe there's a somewhat larger niche of girls who would like to play Poke-bots. There's already lots of girls who play Pokemon so the idea doesn't seem far fetched to me at all.
There's no string bikinis, there's no exposed skin outside of like short sleeves, there's... nothing. There's literally nothing objectionable here. There are no hilariously oversized boobs, there's actually a pretty wide spread of sizes tbqh, there's literally nothing about this that can possibly be offensive, unless you are literally going off of the metric of "anime+girl = pedo".

They should make a No Potential Pedo Stuff edition and I'll be set.

Get out.

dity

Dude, really? Get out of here with that kind of talk. There is no reason to mudsling that shit in this thread.
You must have missed the other pages.

*edit: I didn't say it cos it's anime, it's cos it has teenie-bopper girls and a psuedo-dating-sim and I'm just imagining dudes my age buying it for all the not-Medabot reasons.

evanmisha

38qCLIi.gif

Pictured: Takao and I

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Well, if kids don't care might as well try the yuri crowd, I guess?

Actually it looks like each version has their own unique female protagonist.

http://gematsu.com/2016/01/medabots-girls-mission-announced-3ds#disqus_thread

Medabots Girls Mission: It's got girls, girl friends, girl friendships, did we mention this game has a focus on GURRRRLS?!

I can relate to this game! Golly! Gosh! Guess I better buy it huh?

Yuri dating sim?

OxYcAp1.gif

That is not a standard Shoujo/Josei art style, but there's nothing distinctly otaku pandery about it either. It may very well be they're trying to capture the young female demographic without feeling the need to switch artists.

I don't think the existence of hug pillows stops a show from being a shoujo.

And wiki tells me the manga runs in a shoujo magazine.
I understand. However, I think that's a sign that they are simultaneously targeting other types of demographics. Which is... disappointing, somehow? [tangent]I suddenly feel like I could slightly sympathize with those who get bothered by the idea of female Link, in a "they're not solely catering to me anymore" sort of way.[/tangent]

Hope dwindling...

PK Gaming

It's straight up impossible, but I kind of wish there was a modern game based on the original series (with the dub and all)

Ahh, memories...

@MUWANdo

Banned
I understand. However, I think that's a sign that they are simultaneously targeting other types of demographics. Which is... disappointing, somehow? [tangent]I suddenly feel like I could slightly sympathize with those who get bothered by the idea of female Link, in a "they're not solely pandering to me anymore" sort of way.[/tangent]

Id love to be proven wrong but think anything about this game is an attempt to broaden their audience--I think they realised their games don't really have any cache with modern kids and are primarily selling to nerds who played these games 15 years ago and never moved on, so they're doubling down on the old-timer demographic because they don't have a whole lot to lose.

Takao

Banned
l̍̽̏ͫ҉̵̛̻̥͓̪̦̭̬̮̜̱͎͔̪ͅi̷̠̻͎̝̗͓̹̗̋̄̂ͯ̕͟ẗ̷̶̖͚̟͓̥̳̝̠̙̮̹͖̐̇̈́͟ͅͅt̵̛̰̤̪͉̩̝͚̖̝͔̝͓͖̥̙̹͋ͭ̐ͮͯ͒̔ͪ̚͘͜͡lͧ̑̔̋̚͝͏̷̦̫̭̞ȩ̷͂ͯͧͮͧ̒̽̇̿͂̑͗̕͏̼̻͉̥̺̼͚̗̖ ̴̝̠͙̮͚̦̫͔̲̭ͤ̉͊͋͂ͧ̾͌̇̓̄ͨ̉̈͗ͅͅg̶̸̨̡̟̞͇͍̰̾̋́ͨ̍͐ͧ͊̉̊̅̌ͯ͟ì̧̨̘̟͕̺͓̯͖͈̜̜͓̲̙̩̯̀̔͆ͣ̀̕̕r̳͕̟ͩ͋ͫͬ̿ͮͥ̓͊̓̇͐̓͜ľ̯̝̮̟͎̰̩̩̩͚̺̠̩̟̘̠́̇͋̍͗͗ͩ̌̍̂̊ͥͤ̓̄͐͛̀͟͢s̪̻̻̝̦̜̦͆͗̾ͮ̈́͘ ͖̭̞̳̲͕̝̯̼͔͚͋̾̌ͨͦ͋͘̕͜͡a̸̶̢̻͖͎͍͕͔̦͉̰ͫͮͭ̇͌̉r̦͓̭̙̩̥͉̆̔̀ͨͨ̇̒̉̔ͪ̕͢ͅe͇̦̮̝̙̲̊͐̅ͬͫ̏̇ͩ̈͑ͬ͑͛͒̐͢͝͡nͨ̈́ͦ̒ͩ̿͌͛͠҉̛͍̳̤͍̠͎̺̱͚̟̗̞͎̀'̸̻̼͖͖̳̭̮̻͙̖͙ͩͫ̊̀ͦ̋ͪ͆͒͂ͨ̊́ͅt̷̢̛͕͉̖͉̠̤̼̭̠̗̿̊̃ͥ̀͊̈́͆ͧ͂͒͢ ͎̣͚̭̘̤͖̫̥̤̤̟̦̪̳̼̃ͨ̉̓ͫ̅͜͜͡ͅͅt̷̛̲͔̠̬̭͖͙͉͔͙̟̟̺͎̹̮̔̀͐ͭ͋ͬ̈̾́hͬ̌ͨͫͥ̀ͨ̾͏̤͍̞͉̫͓͔̼̠̕ͅͅͅe̶͔̜̩̪̫̤͖̞ͦ̐̇͒ͣ͜͜ͅ ̷̷̴̫̪̦̞͒͆͐̅̀͛̏͋̈́͟͟ͅd̛ͫ̌͑̐͛ͧ̄͊̃̇ͣ̏ͨ͑̐̍ͩ͗͑͏̶̨̺̗̼̭̣͚̼̦͟e̵̤̼̱͔̟͈̖̲͙̜̦̙̫͕̅̓͐͆̌̓̌̌̀́͟ͅm̵̷̦̰̮̳̗͈̪̙̠̼͕̓ͪ͋͛͛͘͝ơ͍̠̗̪̓ͮ̎ͭ̈̾̅ͥ͂̃̐̇̈̄̓ͪ̉͛͟͡͞͡ ̡̛͈͙̱͔̹̯̪͚ͥ̃̏̿͟͟͡b̸̸̡̮̞͕̙̣̘͎͕̙̭̪ͤ̀ͮͪu̓̽͂̋͆̊͛͒̇̑̚҉̢̜̤̼͔̥͈̯̙̳̭́y̸̡͖̲͈̱̯̙͙͔̔͐̋̊̇̅̃̋̃̋̀̈́ͣͣ̀̈́̀̀i̢͈̬̳̜̹̓ͪ̀ͫ͗ͥ̈̋̎̀̚n̨̨̩̤̯̙̤͎͉̰͍̭̬̰͉̼͎̙̏̄̅͑͘͜͢g̵͌́ͬͮ̆̈́̍̔͛͒̍̒͊͘҉̶̛̣̝̹͓̱̣̩̗̩͙ ͈̳̱̭̬̻̙̞͛̉ͮͩ͒̍̔͋̿̍̾̔͜͡͠c̶̴̡͔͔̼͈̳̥͖͔͈̱̝̻̼̲̓̑̈̅͜͝ͅe̷̛͔͚̱̯̘̰͎̖̤̘͍̓̏̑ͭ̓ͫ̃ͮ̾͑ͭͧͨͥ̍ͤ͗͊ͅr̷̴̡̨̪̲̩̙̗̤͎͚̺͉̭͇̖̦̰̠ͫ̈́̇ͣ͛̒͒͋̓ͬ̏̊́ͅo̧̲̦̙̹̙̗̬͎̗͖̰̗̻̹̟͈̩͚̔ͦ̊͛̐̍͂̐̃ͯ̚͟ ͭ̆̇̔̓ͧ̃͆ͤ̋͛͆̋̀͡͏̮͇̬̝̞̠ç͎͚̭͔͙͚͓̪͙̣̤̩̝̿̈̀͋̉̀ͭͥͬ͗͘ ̷̜͖͕̰͕͓͖̫̣̅͗̂̓̃̐ͨ̈́̿̀̔ͦ͞ģ̩̘͈̤͓̙̖͖͉̜̞̗̥̙̥̟͛̂̍̅ͣ̈́̔͘ͅā͉̖̙̙̬͙̙̳̆ͫ͒͞͞m̠̹͎͚͍̪͕̘̗̰̞̻̼̼̯͕̲̙̻̄͌̃̄̔̓̀́̕̕͢e̸̐ͪͯ̃͌ͣ̅͒ͮ̂̌̄̿͊ͥ͋̒̚҉̯̤̜̻̬̙̙͉̝̠͔s̷̲̘̠͖̟̭̖̃̈́ͣ͂́̇̈́ͬ́ͯ̅̉̍ͮͭͫ̕͜͢

L Thammy

l̍̽̏ͫ҉̵̛̻̥͓̪̦̭̬̮̜̱͎͔̪ͅi̷̠̻͎̝̗͓̹̗̋̄̂ͯ̕͟ẗ̷̶̖͚̟͓̥̳̝̠̙̮̹͖̐̇̈́͟ͅͅt̵̛̰̤̪͉̩̝͚̖̝͔̝͓͖̥̙̹͋ͭ̐ͮͯ͒̔ͪ̚͘͜͡lͧ̑̔̋̚͝͏̷̦̫̭̞ȩ̷͂ͯͧͮͧ̒̽̇̿͂̑͗̕͏̼̻͉̥̺̼͚̗̖ ̴̝̠͙̮͚̦̫͔̲̭ͤ̉͊͋͂ͧ̾͌̇̓̄ͨ̉̈͗ͅͅg̶̸̨̡̟̞͇͍̰̾̋́ͨ̍͐ͧ͊̉̊̅̌ͯ͟ì̧̨̘̟͕̺͓̯͖͈̜̜͓̲̙̩̯̀̔͆ͣ̀̕̕r̳͕̟ͩ͋ͫͬ̿ͮͥ̓͊̓̇͐̓͜ľ̯̝̮̟͎̰̩̩̩͚̺̠̩̟̘̠́̇͋̍͗͗ͩ̌̍̂̊ͥͤ̓̄͐͛̀͟͢s̪̻̻̝̦̜̦͆͗̾ͮ̈́͘ ͖̭̞̳̲͕̝̯̼͔͚͋̾̌ͨͦ͋͘̕͜͡a̸̶̢̻͖͎͍͕͔̦͉̰ͫͮͭ̇͌̉r̦͓̭̙̩̥͉̆̔̀ͨͨ̇̒̉̔ͪ̕͢ͅe͇̦̮̝̙̲̊͐̅ͬͫ̏̇ͩ̈͑ͬ͑͛͒̐͢͝͡nͨ̈́ͦ̒ͩ̿͌͛͠҉̛͍̳̤͍̠͎̺̱͚̟̗̞͎̀'̸̻̼͖͖̳̭̮̻͙̖͙ͩͫ̊̀ͦ̋ͪ͆͒͂ͨ̊́ͅt̷̢̛͕͉̖͉̠̤̼̭̠̗̿̊̃ͥ̀͊̈́͆ͧ͂͒͢ ͎̣͚̭̘̤͖̫̥̤̤̟̦̪̳̼̃ͨ̉̓ͫ̅͜͜͡ͅͅt̷̛̲͔̠̬̭͖͙͉͔͙̟̟̺͎̹̮̔̀͐ͭ͋ͬ̈̾́hͬ̌ͨͫͥ̀ͨ̾͏̤͍̞͉̫͓͔̼̠̕ͅͅͅe̶͔̜̩̪̫̤͖̞ͦ̐̇͒ͣ͜͜ͅ ̷̷̴̫̪̦̞͒͆͐̅̀͛̏͋̈́͟͟ͅd̛ͫ̌͑̐͛ͧ̄͊̃̇ͣ̏ͨ͑̐̍ͩ͗͑͏̶̨̺̗̼̭̣͚̼̦͟e̵̤̼̱͔̟͈̖̲͙̜̦̙̫͕̅̓͐͆̌̓̌̌̀́͟ͅm̵̷̦̰̮̳̗͈̪̙̠̼͕̓ͪ͋͛͛͘͝ơ͍̠̗̪̓ͮ̎ͭ̈̾̅ͥ͂̃̐̇̈̄̓ͪ̉͛͟͡͞͡ ̡̛͈͙̱͔̹̯̪͚ͥ̃̏̿͟͟͡b̸̸̡̮̞͕̙̣̘͎͕̙̭̪ͤ̀ͮͪu̓̽͂̋͆̊͛͒̇̑̚҉̢̜̤̼͔̥͈̯̙̳̭́y̸̡͖̲͈̱̯̙͙͔̔͐̋̊̇̅̃̋̃̋̀̈́ͣͣ̀̈́̀̀i̢͈̬̳̜̹̓ͪ̀ͫ͗ͥ̈̋̎̀̚n̨̨̩̤̯̙̤͎͉̰͍̭̬̰͉̼͎̙̏̄̅͑͘͜͢g̵͌́ͬͮ̆̈́̍̔͛͒̍̒͊͘҉̶̛̣̝̹͓̱̣̩̗̩͙ ͈̳̱̭̬̻̙̞͛̉ͮͩ͒̍̔͋̿̍̾̔͜͡͠c̶̴̡͔͔̼͈̳̥͖͔͈̱̝̻̼̲̓̑̈̅͜͝ͅe̷̛͔͚̱̯̘̰͎̖̤̘͍̓̏̑ͭ̓ͫ̃ͮ̾͑ͭͧͨͥ̍ͤ͗͊ͅr̷̴̡̨̪̲̩̙̗̤͎͚̺͉̭͇̖̦̰̠ͫ̈́̇ͣ͛̒͒͋̓ͬ̏̊́ͅo̧̲̦̙̹̙̗̬͎̗͖̰̗̻̹̟͈̩͚̔ͦ̊͛̐̍͂̐̃ͯ̚͟ ͭ̆̇̔̓ͧ̃͆ͤ̋͛͆̋̀͡͏̮͇̬̝̞̠ç͎͚̭͔͙͚͓̪͙̣̤̩̝̿̈̀͋̉̀ͭͥͬ͗͘ ̷̜͖͕̰͕͓͖̫̣̅͗̂̓̃̐ͨ̈́̿̀̔ͦ͞ģ̩̘͈̤͓̙̖͖͉̜̞̗̥̙̥̟͛̂̍̅ͣ̈́̔͘ͅā͉̖̙̙̬͙̙̳̆ͫ͒͞͞m̠̹͎͚͍̪͕̘̗̰̞̻̼̼̯͕̲̙̻̄͌̃̄̔̓̀́̕̕͢e̸̐ͪͯ̃͌ͣ̅͒ͮ̂̌̄̿͊ͥ͋̒̚҉̯̤̜̻̬̙̙͉̝̠͔s̷̲̘̠͖̟̭̖̃̈́ͣ͂́̇̈́ͬ́ͯ̅̉̍ͮͭͫ̕͜͢

I get the sneaking suspicion that they aren't the demo who they're selling this one to, either.
EDIT: Oh, I misread that somehow. Didn't catch that.

That is not a standard Shoujo/Josei art style, but there's nothing distinctly otaku pandery about it either. It may very well be they're trying to capture the young female demographic without feeling the need to switch artists.

Isn't Horumarin the standard Metabots artist?
This is the artist for this game.
Try popping 泉彩 into Google image search.

Fandangox

Oh.

thelastgogeta

Neo Member
Isn't Horumarin the standard Metabots artist?
This is the artist for this game.
Try popping 泉彩 into Google image search.

Answering your question, I believe you are right but it doesn't appear that he has been assigned to creating manga or all of the designs recently (as in for most of the 3DS games), but I may be mistaken since there is obviously less information for them than games that people can import with ease. The Japanese Wikipedia doesn't appear to list him as in a direct design position for a while.

Anyway, we've had erotic artists do more tame artwork for video games (see Valkyria Chronicles) or serialised manga like Shokugeki no Soma's run in Weekly Shonen Jump.

So someone (泉彩) who had a library including artwork which wouldn't even make it to R18 getting a spot as an character designer for a game with a lot of cute girls says nothing about the actual aim.

Tusk

Just found out about this and looking forward to it. Game sounds fine so far, honestly. I was expecting big titty monsters based on some of the posts in here.

Dual was fun for me, so if this is supposed to have the same gameplay then awesome.

Shun

New screens, you can blow away their clothes. I didn't know Takaki transferred over to Netsuke and Rocket.

CaGObnxUEAAigBB.jpg
CaGObUVUkAAV3mR.jpg

CaGObkRUAAAMuLg.jpg

640213.jpg
640214.jpg

640215.jpg

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no

Ken

They need something to distract you from how awful the Medabots look. I think the 3DS LBX has better looking models?

Chorazin

I love how this went from "There is nothing questionable about this game!" to "Attacks blow their clothes off!" in one page. I love you, Japan.

Zomba13

Expected but still disappointed. I mean, I don't have any attachment to this. I was super into the cartoon and toys as a kid but never played the games and didn't really have an interest in this but did kind of hope it was more aimed at girls in a "female protagonists doing cool stuff!" way but nope it's a "females losing clothes and being sexy" way.

Takao

Banned
I love how this went from "There is nothing questionable about this game!" to "Attacks blow their clothes off!" in one page. I love you, Japan.

First few pages should've seen the CERO C (15+) rating that was there from the first leaks.

Top Bottom