• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 6 - 12 November 2006

Barf_the_Mog said:
Look, I have a DS and love the hell out of it, but even I can see that PSP is the superior system. Its games are diverse, graphics sweet, and functionality unrivaled. The screen is vibrant and just the perfect size for portability; what is the deal with two screens anyway? Most DS games seem almost hampered by two screens, save for such titles like Brain Age and....Brain Age.
You're trying to hard. Stop before you embarrass yourself further.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Smiles and Cries said:
You want us to believe that its not selling software even with this great position you have pointed out?

...yeah?

Tekken, Killzone, Ridge Racers, GTA: LC, Lumines, etc...

In the future, we'll also have: Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Ace Combat, Jeanne d' arc, Metal Slug....

I blame the customers and Nintendogs.

Barf_the_Mog said:
...yeah?

In the future, we'll also have: Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Ace Combat, Jeanne d' arc, Metal Slug....

Oh, Yeah I liked Nintendogs :D

Barf_the_Mog said:
The PSP is still in direct competition with the DS in North America and I assume it's doing better in Europe, too.

Unfortunately, it's also in competition with the 360, PS3, and Wii, as well. The last thing it needs right now are game machines that will intercept both consumer money and developer resources away from it.

ethelred

Barf_the_Mog said:
No, wrong Anihawk. The PSP is still in direct competition with the DS in North America and I assume it's doing better in Europe, too. It's just Japan, and their fetish for games that would have been great a decade ago that's keeping the system down.

Um... isn't it more like the PSP is now in direct competition with the GBA in North America?

Last time we saw European sales figures, there didn't seem to be too much competing going on there. DS is selling almost as well in Europe as it is in Japan.

Joe Molotov

Barf_the_Mog said:
...yeah?

I blame too many PS2 games. More Lumines and less Ridge Racers would have served the PSP better.

HyperionX

You know guys, the PS2 outsold the GC easily twice as much as the DS is doing to the PSP. It's not like the PSP is flopping or anything, just coming in second. "Flop" is the Xbox and Xbox 360 in Japan, you really can't apply it to any other console there.

Mar

HyperionX said:
You know guys, the PS2 outsold the GC easily twice as much as the DS is doing to the PSP. It's not like the PSP is flopping or anything, just coming in second. "Flop" is the Xbox and Xbox 360 in Japan, you really can't apply it to any other console there.

I don't think anyone's calling it a flop. We're all just concerned because it seems to be dying.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Saying that PSP games are ports or remakes of PS2 games is a gross oversimplification of the matter. I could make the argument that Nintendo DS games are nothing but rehashes from previous systems. Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy III, Super Mario 64 DS, and NSMB are just some of the numerous titles.

However, I seem to be steering this thread into another off-topic argument, which I tend to do when talking about the PSP.

ethelred

HyperionX said:

Umm... as Ani pointed out, the problem isn't so much the hardware sales, it's the software -- which is tanking pretty much everywhere. If no software sells, publishers stop making games.

With the GameCube, even when the hardware was flatlined, games were selling on it. And Nintendo was going to keep making GameCube games regardless... whereas Sony seems like it isn't really trying as hard to keep pushing the PSP as it is preparing for the PS3.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Saying that PSP games are ports or remakes of PS2 games is a gross oversimplification of the matter. I could make the argument that Nintendo DS games are nothing but rehashes from previous systems. Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy III, Super Mario 64 DS, and NSMB are just some of the numerous titles.

Yeah, but FFIII is really nothing remotely like FFX or FFXII -- the two can exist and sell simultaneously because they're doing different things. Same with NSMB and Sunshine/Galaxy.

Culex

Banned
HyperionX said:

The DS is outselling the PSP this year about 6:1

The GC never suffered that fate until it was nearly dead in Japan.

apujanata

ethelred said:
Um... isn't it more like the PSP is now in direct competition with the GBA in North America?

Last time we saw European sales figures, there didn't seem to be too much competing going on there. DS is selling almost as well in Europe as it is in Japan.

I think, right now, the question is whether PSP will do a "Wonderswan Crystal" (which is the last Wonderswan released by Bandai) or not ? If Sony release PSP2 in the future, then all is good and well. If Sony decided to not release PSP2, then it sucks, big time.

HyperionX said:

PSP is not doing badly... but for what "They" claimed it would do the Nintendo Handheld's
"Ghetto"

It's getting raped

D.Lo

HyperionX said:
Only LTD. The PSP is dropping much quicker then the Gamecube did, and GCN software sales were far ahead (and still are) of PSP.

cvxfreak

PSP sales falling in the wake of the holiday season isn't a good sign. It's usually a good indicator of how well it'll do after the holiday dies down.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Barf_the_Mog said:
...yeah?

Save for lumines, you've pretty much listed PS2 games. (maybe that's part of the problem.)

apujanata

HyperionX said:

I think quite a lot of people consider that GCN is a flop, even in Japan.

HyperionX

Culex said:
The DS is outselling the PSP this year about 6:1

The GC never suffered that fate until it was nearly dead in Japan.

Which was in less than one year. And yes, the PS2 outsold the GC about 6:1 within several months.

donny2112

AniHawk said:
A stopgap solution, if you will.

:lol ISWYDT

AniHawk said:
The PSP hardware is selling decently in NA right now.

It's not. It's selling anemically. It's better than the DS's deathbed U.S. sales in 2005, but it's not selling like a healthy system, right now. Here's a comparison to Japan for 2006. "Oh, it's mostly doing better than it is in Japan!" That's not a exactly a high bar to surpass.

PSP2006_10.png

NintendosBooger said:
The PSP isn't going anywhere.

Remember, the Game Gear lasted 6 years before bowing out and it wasn't nowhere near as successful as the PSP.
It all depends on the balance sheets, doesn't it? Maybe we're about to see Sony cut and run. Maybe.

HyperionX

D.Lo said:
Only LTD. The PSP is dropping much quicker then the Gamecube did, and GCN software sales were far ahead (and still are) of PSP.

No it didn't. Hardware sales of the GC dropped off into the single digit thousands within a year. It barely reached 4 million in its whole life whereas the PSP has already hit 4 million in less than 2 years.

Joe Molotov

Barf_the_Mog said:
I could make the argument that Nintendo DS games are nothing but rehashes from previous systems. Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy III, Super Mario 64 DS, and NSMB are just some of the numerous titles.

You could, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you. But the two games that won the war for Nintendo, or at least shifted the balance ridiculously in Nintendo's favor were Nintendogs and Brain Training.

Barf_the_Mog said:
...yeah? ...

Tekken - less than 120k
Killzone - not out in Japan
Ridge Racers - RR2 has sold less than 60k so far
GTA: LC - not out in Japan
Lumines - 2 not out in Japan

Ace Combat is doing fairly well, I think the holidays might give it a kick. No real idea about Metal Gear or Jeanne D'Arc or the others yet.

The last 'big' PSP game was SD Gundam, which is around 250k IIRC.

PSP software is doing terrible in Japan. Stuff which should easily sell 3x as much on consoles/whatever isn't doing anything on the PSP.

Culex

Banned
HyperionX said:
No it didn't. Hardware sales of the GC dropped off into the single digit thousands within a year. It barely reached 4 million in its whole life whereas the PSP has already hit 4 million in less than 2 years.

I think the point is that for this year in it's entirety, which is a long time, the PSP is showing a dying trend. It's sales are dropping and dropping, both in hardware and software and no signs of that changing.

cvxfreak

HyperionX said:

GC = that wonderful benchmark

:(

D.Lo

HyperionX said:
You've just changed from US to Japan at will, but heh.

If you meant Japan all along, then your original Quote ("You know guys, the PS2 outsold the GC easily twice as much as the DS is doing to the PSP") is totally wrong.

Summary:

In Japan, the PSP is doing badly, and is getting worse every week (on average).

In the US, the PSP has dropped off dramatically since the DS picked up steam, and is alsoe getting worse all the time. And at no point was the PSP ever the real #1 handheld - it was second for a while, before te GBA passed the baton directly to the DS.

HyperionX

Culex said:
I think the point is that for this year in it's entirety, which is a long time, the PSP is showing a dying trend. It's sales are dropping and dropping, both in hardware and software and no signs of that changing.

Not at all. The PSP sold just over 2 million in its first year in Japan, and just over 2 million in its second year. It's almost been a straight line since launch. And this is without any sort of pricecut AFAIK, so it's not like they're already out of gas as with the GC by this time in its life.

apujanata

HyperionX said:
Which was in less than one year. And yes, the PS2 outsold the GC about 6:1 within several months.

Really ?
M-create yearly data :
PS2 :
2002 3,511,200
2003 2,995,200
2004 2,898,774
2005 1,968,846
2006 1,311,867

GCN :
2002 1,129,300
2003 1,027,200
2004 726,640
2005 273,180
2006 82,716

You can do the math yourself.

D.Lo

apujanata said:
Really ?
M-create yearly data :
PS2 :
2002 3,511,200
2003 2,995,200
2004 2,898,774
2005 1,968,846
2006 1,311,867

GCN :
2002 1,129,300
2003 1,027,200
2004 726,640
2005 273,180
2006 82,716

HyperionX, you have been pwned.

HyperionX said:
Not at all. The PSP sold just over 2 million in its first year in Japan, and just over 2 million in its second year. It's almost been a straight line since launch. And this is without any sort of pricecut AFAIK, so it's not like they're already out of gas as with the GC by this time in its life.

You are comparing one of the sleekest handhelds ever made with Nintendo's Purple Cube that barely survived?

Thanks to the PSP, Nintendo was pushed to up its game from DS heavy to a sexy DS lite
so I can't hate the PSP but still Sony needs to do something to save it right now. And I'm afraid they will focus solely on getting the PS3 to a steady supply.

HyperionX

D.Lo said:
You've just changed from US to Japan at will, but heh.

If you meant Japan all along, then your original Quote ("You know guys, the PS2 outsold the GC easily twice as much as the DS is doing to the PSP") is totally wrong.

Summary:

In Japan, the PSP is doing badly, and is getting worse every week (on average).

In the US, the PSP has dropped off dramatically since the DS picked up steam, and is alsoe getting worse all the time. And at no point was the PSP ever the real #1 handheld - it was second for a while, before te GBA passed the baton directly to the DS.

Actually it's about the same month to month in the US too. And this is without any pricecut or redesign to speak of. The "doom" of the PSP is the most exaggerated claim being spread in neoGAF. It's at what, 17 million to DS's 27 million? Compared to the PS2's 50 million versus the competition's 10 million each at this time in its life, it's ridiculous to call the PSP a flop when it's doing much better at second than just any console in a long while. Probably the Genesis to SNES would be a good example.

D.Lo

HyperionX said:
Actually it's about the same month to month in the US too. And this is without any pricecut or redesign to speak of. The "doom" of the PSP is the most exaggerated claim being spread in neoGAF. It's at what, 17 million to DS's 27 million? Compared to the PS2's 50 million versus the competition's 10 million each at this time in its life, it's ridiculous to call the PSP a flop when it's doing much better at second than just any console in a long while. Probably the Genesis to SNES would be a good example.
You keep talking about LTD numbers, when the point is that it's dropping much quicker then any of the 'failure' systems you mention.

PSP had a great start - much better then Xbox or Gamecube, but that's vanished and it's now dying.

HyperionX said:
It will hit 5, but I doubt it will hit 6. It sure is pulling gaming out of the ghetto.

Culex

Banned
HyperionX said:

Are you talking about US or Japan here, because i'm talking about Japan.

PSP for 2006 so far is ~1.5 million
..for 2005 is ~2.2 million

No way in hell, PSP is selling 700k in the next 6 weeks

HyperionX

apujanata said:
Really ?
M-create yearly data :
PS2 :
2002 3,511,200
2003 2,995,200
2004 2,898,774
2005 1,968,846
2006 1,311,867

GCN :
2002 1,129,300
2003 1,027,200
2004 726,640
2005 273,180
2006 82,716

For long stretches the PS2 definitely blew the GC out of the water by 6:1 and even greater margines. On a yearly basis, it wasn't though. Also the DS only outsold the PSP about 4 to 1 this year, not 6 to 1. I assume he meant the same.

apujanata

HyperionX said:

Can you break down your 17 Million PSP vs 27 Million DS ? No offense, but since I have proven that your "fact" are wrong, you need to show us how you come up with 17 vs 27.

apujanata

HyperionX said:
For long stretches the PS2 definitely blew the GC out of the water by 6:1 and even greater margines. On a yearly basis, it wasn't though. Also the DS only outsold the PSP about 4 to 1 this year, not 6 to 1. I assume he meant the same.

Really ? Please point the period to us.

HyperionX

Culex said:
Are you talking about US or Japan here, because i'm talking about Japan.

PSP for 2006 so far is ~1.5 million
..for 2005 is ~2.2 million

No way in hell, PSP is selling 700k in the next 6 weeks

I'm going with VGchart data, which is stating that has sold 2 million in its second year. This is normalized to the launch period, which was in 2004.

HyperionX

D.Lo said:
You keep talking about LTD numbers, when the point is that it's dropping much quicker then any of the 'failure' systems you mention.

PSP had a great start - much better then Xbox or Gamecube, but that's vanished and it's now dying.

Are you even listening to me? It's been almost a straight line. There was some slippage, of about a few hundred thousand units, since last year in Japan. In the US, ignoring the launch it's been nearly the same month to month. This can be expect since they had absolutely no price cuts at all.

Culex

Banned
HyperionX said:
I'm going with VGchart data, which is stating that has sold 2 million in its second year. This is normalized to the launch period, which was in 2004.

Going by media creates numbers, which I've been compiling for a LONG time:

(I'm rounding up by the way)

2004 (PSP Launch) : ~500k
2005 (First full year) ~2.2 million
2006 (Second full year) ~1.5 million up to November

Top Bottom