• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 6 - 12 November 2006

HyperionX

apujanata said:
1. You use vgcharts, which are NOT M-create. VGcharts contain so many changes, it is normally not acceptable to GAF.

It's within plausibility in it's numbers.

2. You still haven't pointed out the actual long stretches period you mentioned where you said PS2 are > 6 times GC. I would like to see what exactly you meant with long stretches.

You can read a chart can't you? HINT: Start looking at week 110 and down to see the periods of dominance.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
If we're continuing this PSP debate, I'd also like to point out that the PSP is tracking ahead in the months leading up to Nov/Dec then in 2005 where it sold over 1.6 million units over the Christmas shopping season. By the end of the year, the PSP will have sold 7.5 million units in North America compared to Nintendo's 9.3 - 9.5 million DS'. This despite the fact that the Nintendo DS had one extra holiday season and is one third cheaper. If Sony dropped their price, I could see that gap close very quickly.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
LOL @ GC benchmark.

Hyperion, it's not only the internet that thinks PSP is in deep shit. Publishers think so as well, and are dropping support like flies. Hardware sales are OKAY. Software sales are abominable. I would've called it a portable GC, but I don't think that's fair to the GC. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh snap.

Culex

Banned
Barf_the_Mog said:
If we're continuing this PSP debate, I'd also like to point out that the PSP is tracking ahead in the months leading up to Nov/Dec then in 2005 where it sold over 1.6 million units over the Christmas shopping season. By the end of the year, the PSP will have sold 7.5 million units in North America compared to Nintendo's 9.3 - 9.5 million DS'. This despite the fact that the Nintendo DS had one extra holiday season and is one third cheaper. If Sony dropped their price, I could see that gap close very quickly.

Isn't this thread based on Japanese numbers and not US numbers? I thought the whole argument was that the PSP was dead in Japan.

ethelred

Barf_the_Mog said:
If we're continuing this PSP debate, I'd also like to point out that the PSP is tracking ahead in the months leading up to Nov/Dec then in 2005 where it sold over 1.6 million units over the Christmas shopping season.

Are you talking about North America? It's not tracking ahead.

August - October 2005:

August - October 2006:

PSP was ahead in 2005 in August and October. Its 2006 September is ahead of 05, but only by 7k -- a figure much smaller than its loss in the other two months.

Also, it didn't sell 1.6 million over the Christmas shopping season. It did 1.47. It'll probably do about the same this year -- maybe a bit less.

Anyway, all this discussion is moot. First, this is a Japanese sales thread, and secon, er, as has been pointed out before, the primary issue people have been noting in predicting rocky waters ahead for the PSP is its software sales, not its hardware sales.

Its HW sales are okay, I guess... comparable to the GBA in North America, which probably isn't the best position to be in for a relatively new system vs. a dead one, but whatever. Its software sales are... not okay.

apujanata

HyperionX said:
It's within plausibility in it's numbers.

You can read a chart can't you? HINT: Start looking at week 110 and down to see the periods of dominance.

Week 110 is April 6, 2002. It most probably meant the week of march 31, 2002 - April 7, 2002.

VGcharts figure :
PS2 : 85,000
GCN : 13,250

M-create figure :
PS2 : 80,734
GCN : 15,068

Notice something different ? PS2 was inflated on vgcharts, while GCN was deflated on vgcharts. I believe this answers your comment of vgcharts plausibility.

Anyway, I think you are wrong in considering PSP as not a failure. Many people considered GCN as a failure, and therefore many people also considered PSP as failure. No double standard here.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Culex said:
Isn't this thread based on Japanese numbers and not US numbers? I thought the whole argument was that the PSP was dead in Japan.

Well, technically yeah, but I think it's worth mentioning that the PSP is still healthy despite what's going on in Japan. I mean, Japan hasn't been necessary since the early 1990s; The Nintendo 64, Xbox, Xbox 360, and Gamecube have already proven that.

ethelred

Barf_the_Mog said:
Well, technically yeah, but I think it's worth mentioning that the PSP is still healthy despite what's going on in Japan. I mean, Japan hasn't been necessary since the early 1990s; The Nintendo 64, Xbox, Xbox 360, and Gamecube have already proven that.

How have they proven that Japan isn't "necessary?"

Three systems which lost Japan went on to lose in overall worldwide marketshare and this proves that Japan is unnecessary?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Barf_the_Mog said:

All those consoles lost the console war because they didn't have major Japanese support. Not necessary my ass.

HyperionX

apujanata said:
Week 110 is April 6, 2002. It most probably meant the week of march 31, 2002 - April 7, 2002.

VGcharts figure :
PS2 : 85,000
GCN : 13,250

M-create figure :
PS2 : 80,734
GCN : 15,068

Notice something different ? PS2 was inflated on vgcharts, while GCN was deflated on vgcharts. I believe this answers your comment of vgcharts plausibility.

Anyway, I think you are wrong in considering PSP as not a failure. Many people considered GCN as a failure, and therefore many people also considered PSP as failure. No double standard here.

Feel free to look at the following weeks after week 110 then. The gap is even then that larger for about 3 months after week 110.

apujanata

HyperionX said:

Interesting note :
Square2005 said:
UPDATED FOR AUGUST:
WW Estimated LTD:
NDS - 22.77m
PSP - 15.10m

NDS over PSP Lead: 7.67m +0.68m vs. July.

UPDATED THRU OCTOBER 2006:

Sales by Region:
_____Asia N. America Europe/PAL
DS - 11.94m 7.07m 7.01m = >26.03m sold WW
PSP - 4.83m 5.62m 5.27m = >15.72m sold WW

Regional Gap:
_____7.11m 1.45m 1.74m = 10.31m difference WW

Did you notice the widening gap from August to Oct 06 ? An increase of about 30%+ gap (from 7.67 to 10.31) in only 2 month ?

HyperionX

apujanata said:
Interesting note :

Did you notice the widening gap from August to Oct 06 ? An increase of about 30%+ gap (from 7.67 to 10.31) in only 2 month ?

Actually I think he merely revised the estimates.

apujanata

HyperionX said:
Feel free to look at the following weeks after week 110 then. The gap is even then that larger for about 3 months after week 110.

yes, it is true. And the gap got closed extremely during the holiday season.
If you look at PSP sales during November 06 compared to Nov 05, you will see a downward trend there.

PSP Oct & Nov 06 :
Oct Week 1 (25-01) 25,319
Oct Week 2 (02-08) 21,050
Oct Week 3 (09-15) 21,603
Oct Week 4 (16-22) 20,271
Oct Week 5 (23-29) 25,908
Nov Week 1 (30-05) 23,725
Nov Week 2 (06-12) 19,123

PSP Oct & Nov 05 :
Oct Week 1 (26-02) 31,702
Oct Week 2 (03-09) 31,089
Oct Week 3 (10-16) 29,162
Oct Week 4 (17-23) 28,067
Oct Week 5 (24-30) 27,837
Nov Week 1 (31-06) 29,395
Nov Week 2 (07-13) 31,078

Did you notice any trend ? Did you realise why everyone is concerned for PSP ?

HyperionX

apujanata said:
yes, it is true. And the gap got closed extremely during the holiday season.
If you look at PSP sales during November 06 compared to Nov 05, you will see a downward trend there.

PSP Oct & Nov 06 :
Oct Week 1 (25-01) 25,319
Oct Week 2 (02-08) 21,050
Oct Week 3 (09-15) 21,603
Oct Week 4 (16-22) 20,271
Oct Week 5 (23-29) 25,908
Nov Week 1 (30-05) 23,725
Nov Week 2 (06-12) 19,123

PSP Oct & Nov 05 :
Oct Week 1 (26-02) 31,702
Oct Week 2 (03-09) 31,089
Oct Week 3 (10-16) 29,162
Oct Week 4 (17-23) 28,067
Oct Week 5 (24-30) 27,837
Nov Week 1 (31-06) 29,395
Nov Week 2 (07-13) 31,078

Did you notice any trend ? Did you realise why everyone is concerned for PSP ?

And? I did say there was some slippage regarding the PSP in Japan. However it's not in the 5-10k GC saw for long stretches of time. And it's not like the GC recuperated after the holidays; it went nowhere after that and continue to suck even harder. And you know what's even worse? The GC costed less than the PS2 then. The PSP costs more than the DS now. Big difference.

Everything we see with the PSP is fairly plausible for a system with not a single pricecut throughout it's entire life. Don't be surprised if a pricecut and a redesign kicks the PSP back into gear again.

Price is a factor, but not a deciding one. If it were, the GC would have been more successful in NA against its more expensive competitors, the XBox and the PS2. The fact is, it boils down to games. The GC didn't have a steady stream of them, and as a result, it suffered. Now the PSP has the games, much like the DS has games, but they don't seem to be the games that a lot of today's game buyers want in relation to those on the DS. PSP needs to fix that problem first (and it is a big one), and once it does, a price drop and redesign would cause Nintendo some serious worries.

apujanata

HyperionX said:
And? I did say there was some slippage regarding the PSP in Japan. However it's not in the 5-10k GC saw for long stretches of time. And it's not like the GC recuperated after the holidays; it went nowhere after that and continue to suck even harder. And you know what's even worse? The GC costed less than the PS2 then. The PSP costs more than the DS now. Big difference.

Everything we see with the PSP is fairly plausible for a system with not a single pricecut throughout it's entire life. Don't be surprised if a pricecut and a redesign kicks the PSP back into gear again.

I hope you are right. We as gamer, do not want anyone (be that Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft) became a monopoly in game sectory. It is not good to gamers.

jesusraz

Any chance someone can translate the rest of these, please?

14 DS Castlevania PoR - 16000 | 16000 52
16 PS3 Ridge Racer 7 - 10000 | 32000 33
17 DS Winning Eleven DS - 10000 | 123000 67
19 PS3 Gundam - 9500 | 31000 33
21 DS カート 8800 | 1742000 97
23 DS Final Fantasy III - 8200 860000 83
35 GBA 宝石 4000 1742000 99
40 DS 目で 3000 10000 41
42 DS チン 3100 180000 89
43 GBA 赤 2800 1503000 -
47 DS 蘇る 2500 111000 91
58 GBA 緑 1700 1206000 -
62 DS 新牧 1600 101000 88

medrew

To the best of my skills

21 DS カート 8800 | 1742000 97
Mario Kart DS

40 DS 目で 3000 10000 41
Reading Training (WTF, that can't be right :lol )

47 DS 蘇る 2500 111000 91
Phoenix Wright

62 DS 新牧 1600 101000 88
Harvest Moon Rune Factory

Rock_Man

Some of you won't like this, but fact is that PSP has sold more software this year than last year in Japan (Jan-Oct). The following graph is based on the Famitsu pie charts and Famitsu numbers by cvxfreak (Dec 04 - Mar 06).

psp0506ks5.png

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Rock_Man said:
Some of you won't like this, but fact is that PSP has sold more software this year than last year in Japan (Jan-Oct).

and given the size of the install base, the software sales for both years are shit

ethelred

Rock_Man said:
Some of you won't like this, but fact is that PSP has sold more software this year than last year in Japan (Jan-Oct).

Well, that's good, actually. I'm glad to hear that. I still wish the software situation could improve, though... because it's not a big increase, and the software is still not at what I could consider to be a good level.

MrSardonic said:
and given the size of the install base, the software sales for both years are shit

Wait -- 950,000 average weekly sales is shit?

ethelred

Mr. Pointy said:
I don't believe PSP software has cracked 950,000 software sales in a month yet.

Magicpaint said:
I think he was referring to the PSP software sales, not DS :p

Well, he said "both."

Edit: Nevermind. Both "years." It's 6 AM and I'm playing Zelda when I should be sleeping.

AniHawk

Barf_the_Mog said:

PSP is selling a "healthy" amount of hardware (read: not disastrous), but its software sales are abysmal. THAT'S where the BIG problem is.

Also, Japan is sorta the Ohio of the industry (to bring up an old example of mine). If it becomes big in Japan, there's a huge chance it'll be big elsewhere. And with a less likelihood of that happening (less Japanese developers trying something new, different, bold, whatever)... well, you get the idea.

One last thought- comparing the PSP to systems that have lost their parent companies BILLIONS of dollars and systems that were carried primarily by first party efforts probably isn't the best way to go.

gconsole

AniHawk said:
PSP is selling a "healthy" amount of hardware (read: not disastrous), but its software sales are abysmal. THAT'S where the BIG problem is.

Also, Japan is sorta the Ohio of the industry (to bring up an old example of mine). If it becomes big in Japan, there's a huge chance it'll be big elsewhere. And with a less likelihood of that happening (less Japanese developers trying something new, different, bold, whatever)... well, you get the idea.

One last thought- comparing the PSP to systems that have lost their parent companies BILLIONS of dollars and systems that were carried primarily by first party efforts probably isn't the best way to go.

1 We shouldn't compare any company to Nintendo because of their strong 1st party games?
2 We shouldn't compare any company to Sony because their parent company is loosing billions dollar ?

so

3 We shouldn't compare any company to Microsoft because of its rich.

This means we shouldn't do any comparation in videogames industry.
Am I correct ?

AniHawk

gconsole said:
1 We shouldn't compare any company to Nintendo because of their strong 1st party games?
2 We shouldn't compare any company to Sony because their parent company is loosing billions dollar ?

so

3 We shouldn't compare any company to Microsoft because of its rich.

This means we shouldn't do any comparation in videogames industry.
Am I correct ?

I'm saying that those systems lived through success that isn't really wanted. Nintendo's systems were supported mainly by 1st party efforts and some 3rd party software, but they forced themselves into a corner, and MS bled its way in, but had a lot of 3rd party software that sold well. None of which Sony is currently seeing or doing with the PSP.

That second point you misinterpreted was me referring to Microsoft, not Sony.

Rock_Man said:
Some of you won't like this, but fact is that PSP has sold more software this year than last year in Japan (Jan-Oct). The following graph is based on the Famitsu pie charts and Famitsu numbers by cvxfreak (Dec 04 - Mar 06).

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7361/psp0506ks5.png
Probably because the games of last year continued selling a small # of units, and were added to the new games released...
The Gamecube must have a good numbers of games sold too even if there are no new games in the weekly charts.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Rock_Man said:
And for those interested, here is a similar chart for DS.
Rock_Man said:
Those charts don't tell the whole story though.

Merging them is much more interesting:
charts.png

Yes, the bunch of gray lines at the very bottom is the PSP chart, scaled to DS software sales chart

Parl

apujanata said:
I hope you are right. We as gamer, do not want anyone (be that Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft) became a monopoly in game sectory. It is not good to gamers.

But unfortunately, the PSP's gear will always be far lower than that of the DS. The PSP is only selling as well as it currently is because of the software being released for it that was started while publishers throught the console was doing pretty good, or at least decent. Next year is the start of PSP DECLINE - a decline from where it currently is, which isn't pretty anyway.

However, price cut, redesign and digital software distribution can also give it extra momentum. But bearing in mind that Ds momentum is actually on the increase, which is a remarkable notion (but true), and developer support increasing week by week, next year will see the DS do significantly better than it currently is, even in Japan, but mainly in Europe and NA ( at least compared to PSP).

DS will , by the end of next year, be selling at a rate against PSP similar to that of what the PS2 has done with GC and Xbox on a worldwide scale. That's how momentum works - the third party support goes to where there's third party support. As soon as the scale has turned, the momentum gap keeps widening unless action is taken (price drop, publisher incentives, killer apps (Nintendogs), redesign, etc).

And many signs indicate a similar situation will happen with Wii. Gaming is going mass-market, and the hardcore titles will be niche compared. Luckily, so many developers' talents and experience is so geared towards titles that appeal to us, that they'll find it easier and more enjoyable to make games for us. So we should be fine.

Dunno about Love & Berry numbers but the usual preorder numbers we get are by retailers.

In a japanese website where users make predictions for new releases...all of them put Love & Berry #1 for this week with numbers going from 550k to 1m...

Probably going to be the biggest 3rd party effort for DS, near if not above Tamagotchi...I would have liked other game like FF3 to take that spot but well...:lol

At least it doesn't seem that it'll bomb like other previously taken as 3rd party potential good sellers like Tales of the Tempest, Winning Eleven DS or Mushiking 2.

Btw, PS3 showing about what I expected...Wii60 combo to prevent PS3 leading the market lol :D

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
In a japanese website where users make predictions for new releases...all of them put Love & Berry #1 for this week with numbers going from 550k to 1m...

Wow.... :eek:

what about ultimate jump superstar - can it reach 500k in first week ?

donny2112

Hopefully the Media-Create website itself will update tonight. I hope they haven't decided to stop publishing their numbers. :(

Top Bottom