Media Create figures - June 19 to June 25

loosus

Banned
May 31, 2006
6,580
0
0
I don't think the DS has sold well because it's named "DS." I think it's sold well because much of the software is very, very, very simple, which is apparently what Japan wants right now. I would argue that the software on Wii, particularly from what I've seen of Mario Galaxy, does not carry that same spirit from DS, even if the game is spectacular. I think Japan didn't like Super Mario Sunshine primarily because it was complicated, unlike the 2D Mario games, which are extremely simple and easy to pick up and play.
 

LanceStern

Banned
Dec 15, 2005
1,301
0
0
San Diego
www.myspace.com
I'm very pleased to see sales of New Super Mario Bros., Animal Crossing, and the good legs of Children of Mana. Also surprisingly good to see MEtroid Prime Hunters still there.

I wish Japan would drop off the Brain Training fad, or at LEAST pick up a few games like Kirby, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Magical Vacation, Ouendan, Meteos, etc...

Oh well, at least Nintendo's got them a phenomenon on their hands
 

loosus

Banned
May 31, 2006
6,580
0
0
Maybe not 3D games altogether, but yeah, I think the added complexity is definitely a turn off. I really think the true 3D games that perform well do so despite it being 3D, not because of it.
 

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jul 6, 2005
91,412
0
0
30
SELL, SILMERIA, SELL LIKE THE WIND!

I haven't ever touched a VP and I want VP3 on PS3 FTW!
 

ZeoVGM

Banned
Feb 2, 2006
35,214
10
1,305
LanceStern said:
I'm very pleased to see sales of New Super Mario Bros., Animal Crossing, and the good legs of Children of Mana. Also surprisingly good to see MEtroid Prime Hunters still there.

I wish Japan would drop off the Brain Training fad, or at LEAST pick up a few games like Kirby, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Magical Vacation, Ouendan, Meteos, etc...

Oh well, at least Nintendo's got them a phenomenon on their hands
why do you wish they would drop off the "fad"? theyre good games

they are in NO WAY hurting sales of any of the games you listed either
 

marvelharvey

Member
Jun 23, 2004
6,299
0
1,330
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Didn't Ouendan only sell 60,000 copies?
The initial shipment was either 60k or 80k, but it took forever to sell out. Thankfully, there has been a recent reprint and it's back on sale.
 

medrew

Member
Jan 14, 2006
4,393
0
0
Enzed
loosus said:
Well, that's your opinion. Some people think the same thing about New Super Mario Bros.
But that's not the general concensus, espcially over gameplay mechanics. NSMB feels like a Mario game whereas Sunshine felt like a game trying to be Mario. We've seen countless times how fickle Japanese consumers are over such matters through the sales drops in the coming weeks.

loosus said:
Uh, the GameCube was in its second year when Super Mario Sunshine was released. It was certainly not a "dead system" and on top of it, the game had years to sell.
Leading up to Sunshine it was selling 8-10k a week. It was being outsold by the PS2 5-6:1. The mometeum was gone. And there were no big upcoming releases to push sales. Time means nothing if the hardware isn't selling and there is stigma contracted to a game. GCN was basically then what the PSP is now.

loosus said:
Exactly. And it passed Super Mario Sunshine a long time ago.
In part because of the userbase. And because buying DS games is becoming a habbit. It's the go to system for new purchases. I read nothing into it suggesting the preferences of the gaming community at large. It's incidental.
 

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aug 30, 2005
22,609
0
0
31
Toronto, ON
cvxfreak said:
I disagree, mainly because Super Mario 64 wasn't even the best selling N64 game in Japan, and the DS is waaaaaaay passed the N64's userbase.

Still admirable, but not impossible to do.
Although the GBA games were ports, they also sold nowhere near this well. This has to be the best selling Mario platformer in years.
 

Lapsed

Banned
May 14, 2006
655
0
0
I have a question for you guys. When Final Fantasy III is released, it will be big. But how big do you think it would be? What happens if Final Fantasy 3 outsells Final Fantasy 12?
 

Deku

Banned
Jan 6, 2005
16,689
0
0
カナダ
Lapsed said:
I have a question for you guys. When Final Fantasy III is released, it will be big. But how big do you think it would be? What happens if Final Fantasy 3 outsells Final Fantasy 12?
That kind of talk will just lead to disappointment. There's a buzz around FF3 but I don't think it will be NSMB big, it will probably sell 300-500k at least.
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
Lapsed said:
I have a question for you guys. When Final Fantasy III is released, it will be big. But how big do you think it would be? What happens if Final Fantasy 3 outsells Final Fantasy 12?
It won't.
 

Lapsed

Banned
May 14, 2006
655
0
0
Deku said:
That kind of talk will just lead to disappointment. There's a buzz around FF3 but I don't think it will be NSMB big, it will probably sell 300-500k at least.
I would figure at least a million. It is Final Fantasy. It is Japan. And it is on the DS. Those three combining qualities might be explosive. :)
 

cvxfreak

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,867
1
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
Deku said:
That kind of talk will just lead to disappointment. There's a buzz around FF3 but I don't think it will be NSMB big, it will probably sell 300-500k at least.
FF Tactics Advance sold 500K, so I expect FFIII to be bigger than that. I think a million will happen.
 

ethelred

Member
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
cvxfreak said:
FF Tactics Advance sold 500K, so I expect FFIII to be bigger than that. I think a million will happen.
Yeah, that's in-line with my expectations, too.

imastalker co. said:
but the question was "what if?"

great question i think. would be damn interesting if FFIII managed to outsell XII.
It's not that great a question because it's just too improbable... it's too outside the realm of what's likely to happen that there's not even a real point in looking at it as a worthwhile hypothetical.
 

Rock_Man

Member
Feb 17, 2005
879
0
0
DS Top 3
1 New SMB
2 Brain training 2
3 Brain training


PSP Top 3
1 Sony brain experience
2 Winning Eleven 9
3 Brain trainer portable 2

hehehe
 

soundwave05

Member
Sep 30, 2004
10,681
0
0
FFIII outselling FFXII? That's not gonna happen, just because for starters it's a remake.

However if FFIII (not to mention Mario Basketball) put up strong sales, I think you'll see much stronger ties between Square-Enix and Nintendo.

Which means a Nintendo-Square-Enix Hearts RPG will have to happen ... a game like *that* could theoretically outsell the main line Final Fantasy games IMO. Japan would turn into a riot zone.
 

Terrell

Member
Apr 1, 2006
12,478
1
1,050
Vancouver, BC, Canada
ethelred said:
It's not that great a question because it's just too improbable... it's too outside the realm of what's likely to happen that there's not even a real point in looking at it as a worthwhile hypothetical.
I remember hearing this exact same thing when it was proposed that Animal Crossing would outsell FFXII... and we all know how that turned out. :lol
 
imastalker co. said:
ok, how's this then.

how would Square-Enix react, and change their business plans if Final Fantasy III outsold XII? with what? 1/10 of the userbase?
Well, in Japan DS is more like 1/3 to 1/2 of PS2 by now.

I don't think it even requires saying, though, that if FF III passed 2 million they'd try to throw a lot more at DS.
 

mj1108

Member
Jun 8, 2004
14,373
0
0
imastalker co. said:
ok, how's this then.

how would Square-Enix react, and change their business plans if Final Fantasy III outsold XII? with what? 1/10 of the userbase?
GAF sends Easter baskets to Square.
 

Deku

Banned
Jan 6, 2005
16,689
0
0
カナダ
Terrell said:
I remember hearing this exact same thing when it was proposed that Animal Crossing would outsell FFXII... and we all know how that turned out. :lol
Animal Crossing is a bit of a special case. it's been around as a game for 10 years now and had modest sales, but did not hit its target audience until the DS hit in Japan. There's something about having a portable living town with you that's very appealing.

On a related note, how many units has it sold World Wide, outside of japan?
 

cvxfreak

Member
Jun 7, 2004
31,867
1
1,520
Tokyo
www.twitter.com
Deku said:
Animal Crossing is a bit of a special case. it's been around as a game for 10 years now and had modest sales, but did not hit its target audience until the DS hit in Japan. There's something about having a portable living town with you that's very appealing to me and lots of other people.

On a related note, how many units has it sold World Wide, outside of japan?
I think around 1 Million units since it's been doing well in Europe and at I believe 600K in America.

The game was actually out in 2001 in Japan, right? So about 6 years.
 

reminder

Member
Feb 11, 2006
4,530
0
1,040
Germany
Rock_Man said:
DS Top 3
1 New SMB
2 Brain training 2
3 Brain training


PSP Top 3
1 Sony brain experience
2 Winning Eleven 9
3 Brain trainer portable 2

hehehe
What about Monster Hunter Portable?
 

Lapsed

Banned
May 14, 2006
655
0
0
Deku said:
Animal Crossing is a bit of a special case. it's been around as a game for 10 years now and had modest sales, but did not hit its target audience until the DS hit in Japan. There's something about having a portable living town with you that's very appealing.
Miyamoto said that Animal Crossing DS had surpassed Nintendo's projections by 4. He also said that middle aged men designed it and Animal Crossing wasn't originally intended for a young females audience (like, say, Nintendogs).

Since the DS is finding its ways to non-gamers and females, perhaps that is why the DS version exploded (as Animal Crossing would appeal to those demographics instead of the usual gamer).

Whether Final Fantasy 3 appeals to those new demographics (like New Super Mario Brothers and Animal Crossing DS do) remains the big wildcard. The DS is so unpredictable in Japan that I have no idea. Didn't Nintendo tell their shareholders at the meeting today that they would have enough DSes in stock for the Final Fantasy III release? That could be a indicator of something interesting to occur. :)
 

Jiggy

Member
Sep 10, 2005
12,563
0
0
LanceStern said:
I wish Japan would drop off the Brain Training fad, or at LEAST pick up a few games like Kirby, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Magical Vacation, Ouendan, Meteos, etc...
Kirby did sell decently, CV and Advance Wars seem to have not appealed to Japanese tastes even before the release of Brain Training (for whatever bizarre reason), and Ouendan and Meteos probably got limited print runs.

Not sure what went wrong with Magical Vacation, though.
 

loosus

Banned
May 31, 2006
6,580
0
0
The first Magical Vacation was total ass, so that might have something to do with it.
 

parathod

Member
Jan 19, 2006
2,288
0
0
I'm interested in seeing how Final Fantasy III sells. My guess is somewhere around 1 million, but it could go much higher (or only break 500k).
 

parathod

Member
Jan 19, 2006
2,288
0
0
soundwave05 said:
FFIII outselling FFXII? That's not gonna happen, just because for starters it's a remake.

However if FFIII (not to mention Mario Basketball) put up strong sales, I think you'll see much stronger ties between Square-Enix and Nintendo.

Which means a Nintendo-Square-Enix Hearts RPG will have to happen ... a game like *that* could theoretically outsell the main line Final Fantasy games IMO. Japan would turn into a riot zone.
If such a game were to come out, the only games in history to outsell it would be Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Land, and Tetris. Even Drinky would buy 2 copies.
 
Jan 30, 2006
6,687
0
0
39
UK
FFIII will sell 500,000+ in its first week, possibly more (When did it get delayed to August?)

Hopefully the likes of Mario and the DS has awoken Japan to Nintendo again and it has a knock on effect. The market seems’ to be SOOOO much more lively than it has in a LOOONG time, and it has to be down to the DS/lite. If Wii can get a similar line up of games out in the first 6 months there’s no reason why it can’t ride this wave. The market has been invigorated, lets hope it stays that way.
 

Operations

Member
Jun 11, 2004
3,283
0
0
DefectiveReject said:
The market has been invigorated, lets hope it stays that way.
The handheld market certainly has. I'm not so sure if the console market will experiment such unprecedented success, even with Wii.
 
Jan 30, 2006
6,687
0
0
39
UK
Operations said:
The handheld market certainly has. I'm not so sure if the console market will experiment such unprecedented success, even with Wii.
i beg to differ.
The console market just doesn't have the continued line up of different new games that the DS has bought to the table. its the same old re-hashed rubbish. The DS games are different, thanks to the DS itself, and people trying something new. Wii can replicate this in a way by offering "Something Different".
Nintendo market Wii like a home based DS and away we go, maybe not as quick an uptake but cheap price lots of games and something new, and away we go.
 

Terrell

Member
Apr 1, 2006
12,478
1
1,050
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Jiggy37 said:
Kirby did sell decently, CV and Advance Wars seem to have not appealed to Japanese tastes even before the release of Brain Training (for whatever bizarre reason), and Ouendan and Meteos probably got limited print runs.

Not sure what went wrong with Magical Vacation, though.
I said this in another thread and I'll say it here...

Magical Vacation came out the exact same day as Valkyrie Profile Silmeria. RPG gamers were getting their itch scratched somewhere else. Nintendo would have been better off releasing this 2 weeks earlier or later.
 

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Dec 9, 2005
6,173
0
0
Deku said:
That kind of talk will just lead to disappointment. There's a buzz around FF3 but I don't think it will be NSMB big, it will probably sell at least 300-500k its first day.
fixed
 

thefro

Member
May 14, 2006
17,455
0
0
NSMB, Brain Training(s), and Animal Crossing already outsell the recent mainline FF games, so that wouldn't be a big feat.
 
Jun 7, 2006
6,118
0
0
New Super Mario Bros.'s performance is amazing. Ioi said that it is the 6th best 5th-week ever, isn't it ?

It would be interesting to know what is the % of the Software sold for Nintendo DS in comparison to the rest.
That's why we know that Nintendo DS's Hardware has the 75-80% of the market in Japan, since the end of shortages, but it is unknown his Software's market share.