• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create figures - June 26 to July 2

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, X3 and RZX seems to be consistent with 1st day sales but wtf...<50k for Tekken when 50k was 1st day? Taking both as true, it means Tekken is totally sold out or what?

Brave Story numbers are really poor...but its the movie already out?
Or first-day sales for Tekken was way off.

KINGMOKU

Fuzzy said:
Since shortages started at the beginning of January you'd have to go back to 11/14-11/20 2005 (65,341) for a <100K week.
Whats the record for consecutive weeks for over 100,000 units moved?

KINGMOKU

moku said:
Whats the record for consecutive weeks for over 100,000 units moved?
To really understand what the DS is doing right now, I used the awesome www.vgcharts.com and found the answer to my own question.

I checked through the week to week sales of the big guns to see what the record for consecutive weeks selling 100,000+units is, and the the DS has completly destroyed the prevous record

By how much?

CONSECUTIVE WEEKS SELLING 100,000+ UNITS OF HARDWARE

PS2-8-weeks week92-week99
GBA-7-weeks week88-week94 week1-week7 (Did it twice)
PSP-4-weeks week54-week57
DS-18weeks week66-week83

Now the DS number does NOT include this weeks early numbers so that would make it 19 straight weeks. If you go back before the shortages, it would be 32straight weeks!

Remember now, it is now at 19 consecutive weeks including this one so it could continue for the forseebale future.

I didnt see GB, SNES, or NES numbers but in direct comparison to the other big boys its crazy

19 straight weeks with over 100,000+ sales and its lowest week bieng 108,500 highest bieng 299,000 in the stretch.

CRAZY.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
neo2046 said:
unconfirmed

NDS New SMB - 134568
PS2 Xenosaga III - 123847
NDS Brain Age 2 - 50634
PSP Teken DR - 49426
NDS Brain Age - 33771
NDS Rockman ZX - 33652

PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria - 18683
PS2 &#21513;&#23447; - 8273
PS2 Brave Story - 2340
PS2 &#32203;&#33394;&#12398;&#12363;&#12369;&#12425; - 7600

PSP Brave Story - 8238
PSP NANA - 4109
PSP RAIN - 1923
PSP kazuo - 1788

NDS Brave Story - 3929
NDS Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney (Best Price!) - 6562
NDS Sudoku - 4653
NDS Magical Vacation - 3161

DSL - 149,454
PSP - 31,959
PS2 - 23,332
GBASP - 2,818
Xbox360 - 1,610
GBM - 1,379
DS - 1,009
GC - 934
GBA - 20
Xbox - 13
Wow, it sold even more than what I predicted :D
kia said:
I think it will do something like this in the next weeks:

150k ---> 120k ---> 100k ---> 90k ---> 80k ---> 80k ....

I don't think its sales fell below 80k anytime soon.
It will do more than 4m easily and IMO it will become the best selling DS games except Pokemon D/P.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3720668&postcount=400

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Seeing Tekken and Brave Story numbers... PSP will never get the DS.

I did a comparative between GC and the PSP, and at least isn't that bad for Sony, and taking account worlwide sales, aren't bad at all.

Now, we should ask us about software. PSP has a soft rate below the GCN one... will third parties abandon making software for the system like they abandoned tge GCN?

Grampasso

Meier said:
:lol Keep hope alive.
Honestly, I really don't care much since I think Tekken is overrated and I generally hate 3D fighting games, I don't even own a PSP (not yet, at least).
I was trying to be objective since I think it's a famous franchise and usually sell well... on home console.

heavenly

tanasten said:
Now, we should ask us about software. PSP has a soft rate below the GCN one... will third parties abandon making software for the system like they abandoned tge GCN?

Huh?

unconfirmed

PSP Teken DR - 49426 is > NDS Rockman ZX - 33652

Why should Namco be displeased with this? On the NDS, they don't have to compete with Nintendo's software. I don't see major 3rd parties ever shifting their major franchises over to the NDS platform exclusively.

KINGMOKU

heavenly said:
Huh?

Why should Namco be displeased with this? On the NDS, they don't have to compete with Nintendo's software. I don't see major 3rd parties ever shifting their major franchises over to the NDS platform exclusively.
And thats where you went wrong in your thinking.

If you think that 3rd party devs are going to sit back and take the time and money to produce a game for a more expensive system,(In terms of cost to the consumer, AND dev cost) when they can release it on the biggest thing to hit Japanese gaming EVER, your loopy.

I can see a whole SLEW of third-party games going exclusive to the DS if Final Fantasy III hits like an ATOM-BOMB. Sony could threaten no PS3 sweethaert deals, but what if the Wii sends that packing as well?

The DS right now is doing things at a level no one thought possible. 3RD partys would ALL have to be run like Sega not to do what the populace demands.

Jeff-DSA

donny2112 said:
Isn't Sega making more PSP games than NDS games in the next fiscal year?

Sega's retarded.

Their games sold really well on the GameCube but they failed to support it properly. I swear, that company must hate money.

Jeff-DSA said:
Sega's retarded.

Their games sold really well on the GameCube but they failed to support it properly. I swear, that company must hate money.

Let's see it they take a hint, when their upcoming DS Brain Training game will outsell the PSP version several times over.

They won't

KINGMOKU

Earthstrike said:
Sega's a bunch of retards?
You bet your ass. Instead of doing what works, or makes sense, they do the exact opposite it seems.

One has to wonder why Sega hasn't made a Virtua Fighter 2 remake for the DS. The original game sold 1.3million copies in Japan, and I'm sure would do quite well on the DS. No Nights sequel for the DS, when the first game sold 500,000 copies, and would suit the DS to perfection.

They seemed to had found a home on the Gamecube with alot of thier games doing great, but they continued to make games for the XBOX, wich bombed. They sure as hell made sure to drop Gamecube sports games quick enough, but couldnt recognize the games on the XBOX?

Oh well, if Sega can't figure out how to conduct biusness, I say go out of biusness, and see if someone else can handle your rich franchise history, and storied charactors. They deserve more then what they have become. Has-beens, when they once use to rule.

I hate what Sega has become.

Grampasso

moku said:
You bet your ass. Instead of doing what works, or makes sense, they do the exact opposite it seems.

One has to wonder why Sega hasn't made a Virtua Fighter 2 remake for the DS. The original game sold 1.3million copies in Japan, and I'm sure would do quite well on the DS. No Nights sequel for the DS, when the first game sold 500,000 copies, and would suit the DS to perfection.

They seemed to had found a home on the Gamecube with alot of thier games doing great, but they continued to make games for the XBOX, wich bombed. They sure as hell made sure to drop Gamecube sports games quick enough, but couldnt recognize the games on the XBOX?

Oh well, if Sega can't figure out how to conduct biusness, I say go out of biusness, and see if someone else can handle your rich franchise history, and storied charactors. They deserve more then what they have become. Has-beens, when they once use to rule.

I hate what Sega has become.

I'll add Burning Rangers, Wonder Boy and Clockwork Night... and a Shining The Holy Ark sequel would be greatly appreciated too

heavenly

moku said:
And thats where you went wrong in your thinking.

If you think that 3rd party devs are going to sit back and take the time and money to produce a game for a more expensive system,(In terms of cost to the consumer, AND dev cost) when they can release it on the biggest thing to hit Japanese gaming EVER, your loopy.

I can see a whole SLEW of third-party games going exclusive to the DS if Final Fantasy III hits like an ATOM-BOMB. Sony could threaten no PS3 sweethaert deals, but what if the Wii sends that packing as well?

The DS right now is doing things at a level no one thought possible. 3RD partys would ALL have to be run like Sega not to do what the populace demands.

It always come back to the 'if', right?

Tamagotchi hit big...but where's been the major 3rd party support with exclusive franchises? Why is FFIII the barometer for 3rd parties?

There's still no guarantee that 3rd parties will still do a major shift from PSP to NDS, if FF3 hits big. They still have to compete w/ Nintendo software.

PSP had its major 3rd party hit title in MH.
NDS had its major 3rd party in Tamagotchi.
The rest has either been slightly above average, mediocre, or laughably bad.

I'm just saying that PSP will never lose major support from major 3rd parties because their software doesn't have to compete with Nintendo's, and that will always be the case.

Jokeropia

But third party games already sell better on the DS than on the PSP in Japan (both overall and on average), despite competing with Nintendo. As the DS' userbase continues to outgrow the PSP's this can only accelerate.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
heavenly said:
It always come back to the 'if', right?

Tamagotchi hit big...but where's been the major 3rd party support with exclusive franchises? Why is FFIII the barometer for 3rd parties?

There's still no guarantee that 3rd parties will still do a major shift from PSP to NDS, if FF3 hits big. They still have to compete w/ Nintendo software.

PSP had its major 3rd party hit title in MH.
NDS had its major 3rd party in Tamagotchi.
The rest has either been slightly above average, mediocre, or laughably bad.

I'm just saying that PSP will never lose major support from major 3rd parties because their software doesn't have to compete with Nintendo's, and that will always be the case.
It not a matter of "if," but "when."

You need to remember that the while the DS has been beating the PSP for over a year now, it's record breaking sales are relatively new. Games take time to make. That's why we are just now seeing third party DS titles starting to pile up. As we approach th end of the year, we'll only see more.

The last bastion for our PSP friends has been comparing launch and last year 3rd party sales and claiming "See! See! Third Parties don't want to compete!" This WILL end after this year, as 3rd party DS publisher catch up and start releasing as strong of line-up as the use to give the PSP. The only numbers they'll have left is counting the number of Sega games on each system.

While the DS is a hit in Japan and continues to Shatter records, I just can't see nor will I ever agree that 3rd party games will be hits on the system.

It's fanbase has been growing for a year and a half now at a phenomenal rate, and yet still it's 3rd party titles sell below 100k each time. There are a FEW exceptions (DragonBall, Tamagotchi, Children of Mana and Naruto), but even then, excluding Tamagotchi, those big titles can't break the 300,00 mark.

Now the 3rd party real game titles are starting to come, and despite DSLites sales, they still get stuck in the same rut. Debuting at below 60k despite being big name, exclusive and real games (Xenosaga, REDS, Megaman ZX, Magical Vacation). It's horrendous how that happens and makes me sick.

Then again, the GBA didn't fare much better, but it's real games started breaking the 300,000 mark. Perhaps in another year or so they'lls tart picking up. Still great success for the DS though. Absolutely phenomenal.

Oh and once again, FFIII won't be an atom bomb. I'll bump my topic.

LanceStern said:
While the DS is a hit in Japan and continues to Shatter records, I just can't see nor will I ever agree that 3rd party games will be hits on the system.

It's fanbase has been growing for a year and a half now at a phenomenal rate, and yet still it's 3rd party titles sell below 100k each time. There are a FEW exceptions (DragonBall, Tamagotchi, Children of Mana and Naruto), but even then, excluding Tamagotchi, those big titles can't break the 300,00 mark.

Now the 3rd party real game titles are starting to come, and despite DSLites sales, they still get stuck in the same rut. Debuting at below 60k despite being big name, exclusive and real games (Xenosaga, REDS, Megaman ZX, Magical Vacation). It's horrendous how that happens and makes me sick.

Then again, the GBA didn't fare much better, but it's real games started breaking the 300,000 mark. Perhaps in another year or so they'lls tart picking up. Still great success for the DS though. Absolutely phenomenal.

Are you trying to be an idiot troll for fun, or are you actually serious?

Yeah, it's horrendous! Remember how Brain Age did? Only 49k in its first week! Yeah, I wonder how that turned out.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
A Link to the Past said:
Are you trying to be an idiot troll for fun, or are you actually serious?

Yeah, it's horrendous! Remember how Brain Age did? Only 49k in its first week! Yeah, I wonder how that turned out.
He was a DS troll from the begining

donny2112

LanceStern said:
There are a FEW exceptions (DragonBall, Tamagotchi, Children of Mana and Naruto), but even then, excluding Tamagotchi, those big titles can't break the 300,00 mark.

Children of Mana > 300K

Edit: Saw kia's post, so that explains it.

KINGMOKU

LanceStern said:

The one thing you seem to be forgetting, is thatthe DS is doing things that NO OTHER VIDEOGAME SYSTEM EVER HAS.

Has that regestered with you yet? It is blowing AWAY SALES records. You think third-parties wont jump to the thing?

Dear god, now your just trolling. You know the truth.

I'm pretty sure FFIII will be a success, but I'm still not sure if it'll be this one-week-million-seller all of you make it out to be. Didn't FFXII do really well in its opening week and then fall off the face of the earth? Since I doubt FFIII will perform 1-2 mil in its first week, I doubt it'll see anything near the success of any new PS FF installment. I'd love to be wrong though.

LanceStern said:

Third parties don't care about sales, they care about profit. Since DS development costs are much cheaper than PSP development costs, their games don't have to sell as many copies on the DS for them to start making a profit off it.

Just an example here - If Namco released a Tekken game on both PSP and DS(Tekken Dark Resurrection and a new Tekken game on DS using the Tekken 3 PSX graphics engine) and the PSP Tekken game sold 50k but the DS Tekken game sold 30k, Namco would probably be more happy with the sales of the DS one than the PSP one since the development costs on the DS one were much lower.

Chris Michael said:
I'm pretty sure FFIII will be a success, but I'm still not sure if it'll be this one-week-million-seller all of you make it out to be. Didn't FFXII do really well in its opening week and then fall off the face of the earth? Since I doubt FFIII will perform 1-2 mil in its first week, I doubt it'll see anything near the success of any new PS FF installment. I'd love to be wrong though.

have you been paying much attention to the DS sales threads? Tons of games are having longer legs than anyone could have imagined (CoM is an excellent example of this)

I don't know if most people think it will be a million seller week one (though it could be - after all this is the DS), but I don't doubt it will get there quickly, and continue to sell as the userbase grows.

Kobun has mentioned several times that it's the number one most wanted game in Japan on the hottest system the country has ever seen. Is there any reason not to expect big things from it?

Chris Michael said:

But why wouldn't it? They're working their asses off to accomplish that, and FFXII performed well in the first three weeks.

Viewtiful Darkness said:
Third parties don't care about sales, they care about profit. Since DS development costs are much cheaper than PSP development costs, their games don't have to sell as many copies on the DS for them to start making a profit off it.

Just an example here - If Namco released a Tekken game on both PSP and DS(Tekken Dark Resurrection and a new Tekken game on DS using the Tekken 3 PSX graphics engine) and the PSP Tekken game sold 50k but the DS Tekken game sold 30k, Namco would probably be more happy with the sales of the DS one than the PSP one since the development costs on the DS one were much lower.

Exactly. We, as just people that just see the top line sales (units sold every week/month/year), things may look great, but the bottom line sales may look a little more grim or paint an even prettier picture depending on the case.

An interesting example is Brain Training. The top line sales are nothing short of phenominal and I would guess that bottom line sales are even more amazing for Nintendo when they get do the math.

You Tekken example is a good exmaple of a more grim picture for the company as far as the PSP version is concerned.

One of the PSP's problems is that Sony set a bar for the system when they went the route of "PSP is pretty much a PS2 on the go!" I am sure some developers are feeling pressure that a game has to look up to snuff for the hardware(which is great hardware). People gawk over the graphics and say "Wow! This is as good as the PS2!" or say "Man, this game is ugly, take advantage of the hardware!" This, I'm sure, drives development costs.

With the long legs and all combined with the math I did in the top 500 of 2005 in japan thread, I get this feeling that a lot more people are in *love* with the DS than they are with the rest of the offerings out there.

hrm.
Code:
System Total Sales	Titles	Average Sales Per Title
DS        11445473     63	181674
GBA       6232964     61	102180
GC        2866999     30	95567
PS        50441        2	25221
PS2       26284544     286	91904
PSP       3747020     56	66911
XB360     59525        2	29763

weird. I think I lost a digit on the system total sales for the PS2, but everything else seems right. - NM - Fixed.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Whoa, so NSMB is around 2.2 million sales now? Just 800k more to go before it officially gets its non-game wings!

Damn shame about Rockman ZX. Though I think it sold like 3 times the amount either of the PSP games did in its first week.

cvxfreak

Oblivion said:
Whoa, so NSMB is around 2.2 million sales now? Just 800k more to go before it officially gets its non-game wings!

Damn shame about Rockman ZX. Though I think it sold like 3 times the amount either of the PSP games did in its first week.

2.137 to be more exact.

In a week or two, it'll pass Brain Age 1.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
moku said:
The one thing you seem to be forgetting, is thatthe DS is doing things that NO OTHER VIDEOGAME SYSTEM EVER HAS.

Has that regestered with you yet? It is blowing AWAY SALES records. You think third-parties wont jump to the thing?

Uh, I have a DS and I'm a fan, and even I think you sound crazy

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Even if the DS had a user base of 20m, it is not clear that the traditional 3rd party games aren't going to sell that well on the system (or any handheld) for the same reasons that they didnt on the GBA. Nintendo's software sales success on the DS should have told 3rd parties that the DS is gaming system of the like Japan has never seen. To get the best software sales possible they need to think up new IPs that interest people and new gameplay ideas using the DS interface and attracting the new audience picking up DS hardware. I think that simply providing the same old games is not going to be a very successful formula for most and the newer gamers DS has attracted are not going to be compelled to buy them.

Beowvlf

Banned
neo2046 said:
PSP Brave Story - 8238
Awesome. Despite a continuing healthy HW install base, yet another great PSP game (and an RPG at that) bombs magnificently.

Japanese PSP owners suck.

heavenly

MrSardonic said:
Even if the DS had a user base of 20m, it is not clear that the traditional 3rd party games aren't going to sell that well on the system (or any handheld) for the same reasons that they didnt on the GBA. Nintendo's software sales success on the DS should have told 3rd parties that the DS is gaming system of the like Japan has never seen. To get the best software sales possible they need to think up new IPs that interest people and new gameplay ideas using the DS interface and attracting the new audience picking up DS hardware. I think that simply providing the same old games is not going to be a very successful formula for most and the newer gamers DS has attracted are not going to be compelled to buy them.

You have hit the nail on the head.

Unless Nintendo is preventing 3rd parties from creating and/or releasing PDA-like content on the NDS, companies (especially those in Japan) just don't know how much $$ they could be making by catering to the non-game fans.

Where's the PDA like content? Advance 3D graphic calculators? Organizer? Third parties could create a separate group in their gaming division just to cover these type of content. I doubt it would take away resources ($$, talent) from the gaming divisions.

And what's crazy is that they don't have the foresight to see that if their newly, created NDS non-game franchises were to be a hit, then they would kind of be prepared for the Wii. And create Wii iterations of those games. Nintendo, I'm sure, already has their team making Wii Brain games.

So, whassup, 3rd parties? Am I oversimplifying the situation, or are you're just not too bright to recognize the new fad in town?

Terrell

Oblivion said:

It also outsold Rockman EXE 5 on the DS, which is fairly substantial. Maybe it'll have some legs?? Seems to be one of the best Rockman games in several years.

kia you've got to be joking me.... you've really got to be joking me in calling me a DS TROLL.

It just pisses me off when I keep seeing people overinflate DS 3rd party sales and expect them to skyrocket on the first 1-2 weeks. THEN when the sales DON'T meet those idiotically inflated expectations, we have to listen to the real god**** trolls all day talking about the crap 3rd party sales for DS.

Don't throw CoM at me. Yea it's had *long legs*, but it still hasn't even broken 300,000 yet.

Don't throw Brain Age at me, that's first party.

Don't throw the 4-5 other 3rd party titles that did averagely well (250k - 300k) because that's all fine and dandy but not SPECTACULAR. And nowhere near the STUPID predictions people make about it going to do 500,000 and up.

It's just tiring seeing the same old crap lofty predictions (ONE MILLION IN 2 WEEKS GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK), then when it only debuts at sub 200k, we have to hear trolls accuse ALL DS fans of making the predictions.

moku said:

I don't forget that. I make topics all the time simply congratulating Nintendo on an excellent job with the DS and it's AAA software.

But as much as the DS is doing things NEVER DONE BEFORE, it's still not increasing 3rd party sales. They are still sub 300k even with a booming fanbase, and it makes me sick to see that happen AND have people continually crap up the reputation of Nintendo fans with their lofty goals and ridiculous expectations.

It's CRAP.

Oh and here you go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108256&page=2

LanceStern said:
There are a FEW exceptions (DragonBall, Tamagotchi, Children of Mana and Naruto), but even then, excluding Tamagotchi, those big titles can't break the 300,00 mark.

uhm... excluding Monster Hunter, how many 3rd party games sold more than 300k on PSP ?

answer: Ridge Racers, Samurai Warriors and Brain Training (oh, that's a non-game!!!!)

PSP has 20 games that sold more than 100k, DS has 35 titles that did the same and 11 of them are from 3rd parties

for low 3rd party results on DS let's wait end of 2006 and see FF3, Tales of Abyss, Rune Factory and Tamagotchi 2

donny2112

LanceStern said:
Don't throw CoM at me. Yea it's had *long legs*, but it still hasn't even broken 300,000 yet.

But it will. I got when it crossed 200K mixed up, so as posted here, it's at 268K.

LanceStern said:
But as much as the DS is doing things NEVER DONE BEFORE, it's still not increasing 3rd party sales. They are still sub 300k even with a booming fanbase,

There is nothing special about 300K. Get off that horse 'cause it don't run.

Will third-parties have as high sales numbers with the DS rocketing instead of the PSP rocketing? Probably not. Will third-parties have as high profit with the DS rocketing instead of the PSP rocketing? Probably and then some.

I can understand (and sympathize with) your frustrations concerning some Nintendo fans going off the deep end with predictions (I don't think FFIII is an example of that, though), but that's no reason to set imaginary lines in the sand to determine what's a successful third-party game for the DS and what isn't.

LanceStern said:
I don't forget that. I make topics all the time simply congratulating Nintendo on an excellent job with the DS and it's AAA software.

But as much as the DS is doing things NEVER DONE BEFORE, it's still not increasing 3rd party sales. They are still sub 300k even with a booming fanbase, and it makes me sick to see that happen AND have people continually crap up the reputation of Nintendo fans with their lofty goals and ridiculous expectations.

It's CRAP.

Oh and here you go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108256&page=2

So, you'd rather that third parties have a better chance of being in the top ten selling DS games but sell less because the DS performed worse?

Christ, Lance, you're stupid.

Top Bottom