• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create figures - June 26 to July 2

loosus

Banned
Ohhhhh...Pocket Station, that VMU-ish thing? I remember that now.

If that's the case, then I don't think a PSP-PockSt comparison makes much sense, other than the fact that (I guess) PockSt was sorta kinda a handheld by Sony.

Culex

Banned
That's insane for the DS Lite to continue to dominate like this. At this rate, it may actually double what the DS did last year!

The Xbox360 continues to disappoint. It's tracking far worse than the Xbox and I can't fathom it pulling ahead. Sad times indeed.

Axord

Seriously it would have been better for MS not to even try in Japan at all. Concentrate resources and mindshare in the West where you can actually make an impact. At least that way they could say "we don't care about that market" rather than having that market not care about them.

jesusraz

-Damien- said:
Wow X360 massive end of June re-launch event managed to sell 600 more x360.

Go MS you're getting there :lol

:lol I'd forgotten about the re-launch. Explains the batch of new game releases! But that's just terrible how the system only sold a few hundred more this week!

Ronok

Hahah how can Pocket Station have sold at a faster rate the PSP? That's horrid! Honestly, I'm suprised pocket station ever sold that much.... Did it have any use other then that random thing in FFVIII? That's the only time I heard of it. :-/

Xbox 360's showing is ermmm worse......

chadums90

Yeah, I'd like to know if it's still hard to find as well...

I imagine they're siphoning some of the units to send to North America and Europe, since they just launched and are probably experiencing far worse shortages.

Razoric

Banned
Ronok said:
Hahah how can Pocket Station have sold at a faster rate the PSP? That's horrid! Honestly, I'm suprised pocket station ever sold that much.... Did it have any use other then that random thing in FFVIII? That's the only time I heard of it. :-/

Xbox 360's showing is ermmm worse......

PSP will eventually beat it out. Honestly PSP just needs some more compelling software for it and maybe a price drop and, while it wont do DS Lite levels, it'll still carve out a nice little chunk of marketshare for itself.

Culex said:
That's insane for the DS Lite to continue to dominate like this. At this rate, it may actually double what the DS did last year!
Let's see... double last year's DS yealry total would be 8.30 million. So far this year DS+DSL has sold 3.55 million. So to reach that double, DS+DSL would need to sell about 4.75 million more, in the same time period that DS sold 3.08 million last year. So about a 54% increase year over year. Which, with the numbers of the last few months, seems quite possible. Maybe not in every single week (a 900K December week?), but just comparing single weeks with their 2005 counterparts DS+DSL has been up 84-721% every week since Lite launch, so these pre-holiday weeks might make up for it.

Earthstrike said:
Does the DSL still have the shortages though?
In Kobun Heat's blogging about his recent trip to Japan he mentions (and has photos) of how almost all DS Lites are marked way up from their MSRP, so it does seem demand is still greater than supply.

ioi

Banned
Razoric said:
PSP will eventually beat it out. Honestly PSP just needs some more compelling software for it and maybe a price drop and, while it wont do DS Lite levels, it'll still carve out a nice little chunk of marketshare for itself.

Yeah, PSP still has a couple of years in it yet, I can't believe how it still sells 25k a week with hardly any software sales?

The comparison to PocketStation is probably a bit silly, but someone asked the question in a previous thread and I have the numbers now so there you go :D

donny2112

For better or worse, I personally consider it highly unlikely that the scarcity of DS Lite's in Japan will wane until maybe next Spring. I think some of what we're seeing now is still pent up demand from months ago.

FFIII will release at the end of August, and Nintendo has stated that they'd have sufficient DS Lite's available for its release. Short of 1 million, I don't think what they have will be "sufficient." No, I'm not joking. If Nintendo actually released 1 million DS Lite's at FFIII's release, there might actually be some easily found on the store shelves for the next few weeks. Until Pokemon hit. Since there's no way that Nintendo will have that many available for one week, the shortages will continue.

There might be a slight wane (read: < 100K per week with some available supply) in early-November (especially with the PS3 and Wii launching), but then New Year's will hit (see Januay-February 2006 DS sales). That early-November possible swoon is kind of a stretch, though.

donny2112 said:
For better or worse, I personally consider it highly unlikely that the scarcity of DS Lite's in Japan will wane until maybe next Spring. I think some of what we're seeing now is still pent up demand from months ago.

FFIII will release at the end of August, and Nintendo has stated that they'd have sufficient DS Lite's available for its release. Short of 1 million, I don't think what they have will be "sufficient." No, I'm not joking. If Nintendo actually released 1 million DS Lite's at FFIII's release, there might actually be some easily found on the store shelves for the next few weeks. Until Pokemon hit. Since there's no way that Nintendo will have that many available for one week, the shortages will continue.

There might be a slight wane (read: < 100K per week with some available supply) in early-November (especially with the PS3 and Wii launching), but then New Year's will hit (see Januay-February 2006 DS sales). That early-November possible swoon is kind of a stretch, though.

exactly - i've been saying the same thing for a few weeks. How can nintendo possibly meet DS demand when FFIII & Pokemon drop if they can't meet it right now? There's just no way they will get out from under this shortage until next spring, unless they start making a LOT more.

chadums90

Since no one seems to think sales are going to cool down, I think there is a more important question - What is the saturation point in the market?

Is it the 20+ million # like the PS2, or is it more? Is Nintendo really selling past the traditional gaming market?

Obviously we won't know anytime soon, but is it possible they could sell 25-30 million in Japan ALONE?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
chadums90 said:
Since no one seems to think sales are going to cool down, I think there is a more important question - What is the saturation point in the market?

Is it the 20+ million # like the PS2, or is it more? Is Nintendo really selling past the traditional gaming market?

Obviously we won't know anytime soon, but is it possible they could sell 25-30 million in Japan ALONE?
20+ million for a console that multiple people can play = a lot more for a handheld that each person wants one of their own.

CrisKre

It should be taken into account that the production process of a semi-new product such as the DS lite is not static. They may greatly increase ther capacity in just a few months to prevent shortages of the nature that are being described, so I certanly doubt we will see them all the way to next spring. Almost one year ahead is a looong time to make sure the production capabilities are increased according to more than expected demand.

Fuzzy

Didn't Nintendo say that they would be producing 2.2 million DSL's a month during the Summer?

cvxfreak

Fuzzy said:
Didn't Nintendo say that they would be producing 2.2 million DSL's a month during the Summer?

Yeah, to coincide with stuff like the world-outside-Japan launches, Final Fantasy III and prepping for the fall onslaught with Pokemon. Asian models also ship this month.

I have a feeling we may get a proper Korean launch soon now that Nintendo of Korea has been established

osyrus

cvxfreak said:
I have a feeling we may get a proper Korean launch soon now that Nintendo of Korea has been established

Starcraft DS to be announced in the coming days. You heard it here first. :lol

ioi

Banned
Fuzzy said:

I don't think even that'll be enough. We've yet to see how much it sold in the US last month!

Fuzzy

ioi said:
I don't think even that'll be enough. We've yet to see how much it sold in the US last month!
Too bad it won't be as much as MC's combined DS total for June (758,630).

ziran

Posted? I've seen bits of info from the article but not the percentages.

Videogame sales in Japan rose 33.6 percent in the first half of calendar 2006:
http://today.reuters.com/stocks/Quo..._RTRIDST_0_LEISURE-JAPAN-VIDEOGAME.XML&rpc=66
...Enterbrain, which publishes retail sales data for games and game devices, said overall sales of game hardware and software came to 277 billion yen ($2.40 billion) in January-June, up from 207 billion yen a year earlier.

Nintendo sold 2.6 million units of its DS Lite game gear and 1.3 million units of original DS, grabbing the top two spots in terms of game hardware sales in Japan.

Sony Corp.'s PlayStation Portable (PSP) came in third, with sales of slightly fewer than one million units.

Nintendo also fared well in the game software market as a publisher of the best-selling and third best-selling titles -- the latest version of "Brain Training for Adults" and "New Super Mario Bros."

Thanks to brisk sales of game titles for DS and DS Lite, Japan's game software market grew 30.4 percent to 175 billion yen in the first half, marking the first time in three years that game software sales in January-June had posted year-on-year growth...

In a post of this news at neowin it says Famitsu/Enterbrain takes data from almost 35,000 stores in Japan:
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=33982

ioi

Banned
ziran said:
Posted? I've seen bits of info from the article but not the percentages.

Videogame sales in Japan rose 33.6 percent in the first half of calendar 2006:
http://today.reuters.com/stocks/Quo..._RTRIDST_0_LEISURE-JAPAN-VIDEOGAME.XML&rpc=66

In a post of this news at neowin it says Famitsu/Enterbrain takes data from almost 35,000 stores in Japan:
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=33982

Nice find!!

2006 is definitely way up on 2005 so far, in fact I think it is the biggest Jan-June we've had since probably 97, the big PS year (it may be bigger but I'll reserve judgement just yet).

Interesting that Famitsu now surveys 35k stores, does anybody know what the supposed figure for MC is? That's a lot of stores and is reflected in how close MC and Famitsu are just lately.

I get the top 10 for the year Jan-June to be:

Code:
Brain Training 2			DS	 Nintendo	 2,459,250 	 2,917,750 
Final Fantasy XII			PS2	Square	         2,288,000 	 2,288,000 
New Super Mario Bros		   DS	    Nintendo	    2,051,750 	    2,051,750 
Animal Crossing: Wild World	 DS 	  Nintendo	  1,669,500 	  3,125,500 
Brain Training			         DS	  Nintendo	 1,424,500 	  2,704,000 
English Training			 DS	 Nintendo	 1,264,250 	  1,264,250 
World Soccer Winning Eleven 10	PS2	Konami	          959,500 	   959,500 
Tetris DS			           DS	    Nintendo	      743,500 	        743,500 
Mario Kart DS			        DS	 Nintendo	   677,000 	  1,551,000 
Pokemon Ranger			     DS	     Nintendo	        629,750 	 629,750
http://www.vgcharts.org/japyearly.php

ioi

Banned
osyrus said:
holy ds ownage ioi

incredible domination...

Top 10 games of 97 (the PS's biggest year, but also the rise of Pokemon) by comparison:

Code:
1	Pokemon Red / Green / Blue	GB	Nintendo	6,094,750	8,641,750
[b]2	Final Fantasy VII			PS	 Square	 	 3,269,750	 3,269,750
3	Derby Stallion				 PS	  ASC II	  1,802,250	  1,802,250[/b]
4	Find by Game!! Tamagotchi	 GB	 Bandai	  	  1,443,750	  1,443,750
5	Find by Game!! Tamagotchi 2	 GB	 Bandai		 1,347,500	 1,347,500
[b]6	Final Fantasy Tactics			PS	Square		1,311,250	1,311,250
7	Everybodys Golf				PS	Sony		 1,282,250	 1,282,250
8	SaGa Frontier				 PS	 Square		 1,045,250	  1,045,250
9	Parapper The Rapper		     PS	    Sony		 867,250	1,003,250
10	Gran Turismo				PS	Sony		    808,000	      808,000[/b]
http://www.vgcharts.org/japyearly.php?year=1997

This is for the whole year as well don't forget!!

osyrus

ioi said:
Top 10 games of 97 (the PS's biggest year, but also the rise of Pokemon) by comparison:

Code:
1	Pokemon Red / Green / Blue	GB	Nintendo	6,094,750	8,641,750
[b]2	Final Fantasy VII			PS	 Square	 	 3,269,750	 3,269,750
3	Derby Stallion				 PS	  ASC II	  1,802,250	  1,802,250[/b]
4	Find by Game!! Tamagotchi	 GB	 Bandai	  	  1,443,750	  1,443,750
5	Find by Game!! Tamagotchi 2	 GB	 Bandai		 1,347,500	 1,347,500
[b]6	Final Fantasy Tactics			PS	Square		1,311,250	1,311,250
7	Everybodys Golf				PS	Sony		 1,282,250	 1,282,250
8	SaGa Frontier				 PS	 Square		 1,045,250	  1,045,250
9	Parapper The Rapper		     PS	    Sony		 867,250	1,003,250
10	Gran Turismo				PS	Sony		    808,000	      808,000[/b]
http://www.vgcharts.org/japyearly.php?year=1997

This is for the whole year as well don't forget!!

FFIII will rape its way into the top 10, no doubt.

ioi said:
Interesting that Famitsu now surveys 35k stores, does anybody know what the supposed figure for MC is? That's a lot of stores and is reflected in how close MC and Famitsu are just lately.
Yup, but every store has like bajillion ps2 games so your web makes some sense

http://www.vgcharts.org/japconscomps.php?name1=DS&name2=PS2&type=3
ps2 soft sold 68m

http://www.vgcharts.org/consworld.php
ps2 soft shipped 204m

Sounds totally right, 136m ps2 games still on the stores.

ioi

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yup, but every store has like bajillion ps2 games so your web makes some sense

http://www.vgcharts.org/japconscomps.php?name1=DS&name2=PS2&type=3
ps2 soft sold 68m

http://www.vgcharts.org/consworld.php
ps2 soft shipped 204m

Sounds totally right, 136m ps2 games still on the stores.

You've obviously missed the memo about the site still being incomplete!

Having said that, even if you add up the data Famitsu has tracked since the PS2 launch you still 'only' get to about 145m total, and the 300m for PS1 is going to be impossible to re-create.

ioi said:
You've obviously missed the memo about the site still being incomplete!

Having said that, even if you add up the data Famitsu has tracked since the PS2 launch you still 'only' get to about 145m total, and the 300m for PS1 is going to be impossible to re-create.
Well, you don't really think I need to read a memo to know that your site is not complete, do you? ;)

Anyway, I don't think you should have 'that' PS2 data (and any other, I just saw that) to compare with other platforms if its quite wrong...it will mislead people.

ioi

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, you don't really think I need to read a memo to know that your site is not complete, do you? ;)

Anyway, I don't think you should have 'that' PS2 data (and any other, I just saw that) to compare with other platforms if its quite wrong...it will mislead people.

Well it's just dynamically adding up every game that is on the database at the moment. The more games that are added the more accurate the data will become. It does say on the site that data is incomplete, so hopefully that will be enough to prevent misleading people ;-)

ziran

ioi said:
Nice find!!

2006 is definitely way up on 2005 so far, in fact I think it is the biggest Jan-June we've had since probably 97, the big PS year (it may be bigger but I'll reserve judgement just yet).

I get the top 10 for the year Jan-June to be:
http://www.vgcharts.org/japyearly.php
i admit i'm a nintendo fan, but looking beyond this, in all seriousness, the ds's success in japan is simply staggering! i mean, it's been truly remarkable, particularly because this growth and these incredible software sales are essentially all from one company, nintendo.

this is becoming a dire situation for third parties, because beyond relatively small declines and stability in a few major franchises, which seem dependent on huge budgets, their market is dying in a very unpleasant way :(

obviously blaming so called 'non-games' is complete nonsense because without these new games their buyers would've simply not bought anything, so the result for the industry outside of nintendo would've been exactly as it is now.

i'm all for every kind of gaming from all developers and competition makes games better for everybody, but japanese devs need to get their act together otherwise they'll be dropping like flies!

however, the really sad thing is they seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place as with neither ps3 nor wii does comfort lie:

- developing for ps3 gives them a market with declining interest, astronomical budgets and most likely a slower than expected adoption rate due to the hardware's price

- developing for wii puts them in competition with nintendo software and likely an expanded and returning audience they haven't yet succeeded in appealing to.

there are many talented developers in japan and i sincerly hope they find a way to rejuvenate their sales in japan.

ziran said:
You nailed it imo too.

I can't see the new PS2 where 3rd parties should focus their resources. PS3 is too expensive, for consumers and developers, software is not going to fly like with ps2, and Wii is Nintendo afterall, if it pulls a NDS success, it will probably be thanks to Nintendo software with 3rd party software benefitting little from it. No need to mention X360, total failure in japan and we still have to see how it does overseas, that and how japanese support does overseas too (stuff like Trusty Bell or Project Sylpheed).

Btw, about new releases, sinobi comments Xenosaga III start was lower than previous although it might get to 150k. 100-150k and 200k LTD tops I suppose.

Tekken did pretty good thanks to CM and shop stands, some stores sold out. Lower numbers than X3 anyway.

Maybe cvxfreak or someone else can do better translation ( http://ameblo.jp/sinobi ) :lolU

ioi

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw, about new releases, sinobi comments Xenosaga III start was lower than previous although it might get to 150k. 100-150k and 200k LTD tops I suppose.

Tekken did pretty good thanks to CM and shop stands, some stores sold out. Lower numbers than X3 anyway.

Maybe cvxfreak or someone else can do better translation ( http://ameblo.jp/sinobi ) :lolU

Does it say how much Tekken sold? I'm not expecting much- maybe 75k week 1 and 200k total at best...

ioi said:
Does it say how much Tekken sold? I'm not expecting much- maybe 75k week 1 and 200k total at best...
Nope, it says that both Namco and SCE have great expectations here, and the CM and shop stands worked well, some stores sold out although additional stock was dispatched. It says this is probably the first successful title for PSP in this summer. Thats with my not really accurate translation :lol

Gamefront reported this too:
Solide Starts von Xenosaga III und Tekken Dark Resurrection

08.07.06 - Seit dem 06.07.06 sind Tekken: Dark Resurrection (PSP) und Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra (PS2) von Bandai Namco in Japan erhältlich.

Ersten Informationen von Enterbrain (Famitsu) zufolge, haben beide Spiele einen soliden Start hingelegt. Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra würde sich bislang zwar noch nicht so oft verkauft haben wie die Vorgänger im selben Zeitraum, liegt aber vor Tekken: Dark Resurrection.

Genaue Zahlen folgen in der nächsten Woche.
It says that both had a solid start although Xenosaga III start is lower than predecessors, and still higher than Tekken.

Sinobi said that 150k for Xenosaga 3 is difficult so I guess Tekken will be around 75-100k yup.

Looks like people realize there are no games for them AFTER buying the PSP, either that or they spend all there money on the hardware and cant afford the games. Thats the only way i can explain DS games consistantly selling so well (in contrast to PSP games) while hardware sells are still behind.

Emotions

Nintendo is always a double edge sword, their sales usually outshines 3rd party sales, so that's why 3rd parties hesitate putting stuff on their consoles-handhelds because they're competing with Nintendo.

Suburban Cowboy said:
Looks like people realize there are no games for them AFTER buying the PSP, either that or they spend all there money on the hardware and cant afford the games. Thats the only way i can explain DS games consistantly selling so well (in contrast to PSP games) while hardware sells are still behind.
Looks more like a software problem to me. I really want to see how a new IP really born for PSP like Locoroco does.

You just have to see PSP top-sellers and most of them are ports or portable versions of a console franchise. Tekken, Minna no Golf, Sengoku Musou, Ridge Racer, Tales of Eternia, Winning Eleven...

Emotions

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Looks more like a software problem to me. I really want to see how a new IP really born for PSP like Locoroco does.

You just have to see PSP top-sellers and most of them are ports or portable versions of a console franchise. Tekken, Minna no Golf, Sengoku Musou, Ridge Racer, Tales of Eternia, Winning Eleven...

Portable versions of console franchises aren't bad at all , see GBA-DS, as long as you also have new stuff you can have both.

Emotions said:
Portable versions of console franchises aren't bad at all , see GBA-DS, as long as you also have new stuff you can have both.

Yeah, but for most people portable means picking up a game fast, playing not more than 1 hour and putting it down. With PSP it takes to long to start up, the games are mostly ps2 ports, which means long games.

Top Bottom