• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create May 11 - 17

donny2112

cvxfreak said:
3. Resident Evil 5 (Capcom, PS3) -- 460,635
25. Resident Evil 5 (Capcom, 360) -- 110,773

Total: 571,408

:) Should hit 600K by Famitsu's count too.

360:
Averaged 1.2K per week from April 13-May 10.

PS3:
20090412 - 6.4K
20090419 - 4.6K
20090426 - 4.1K
<next two weeks combined> - 6.3K

It'll be close either way.

gantz85 said:
Demon's Souls is now at 120,000+ which is AMAZING. I think plenty of us thought here that it would be lucky to break 100K but that baby has monster legs.

It debuted at almost 40K in its first week so now it already has a FIRST WEEK - LTD ratio lower than 33%. It will only get lower in the next few weeks or months.

This means:

1. Longest legs on an HD console? (I think GT5:p has it beat for now)
Hmm. Looking at games that had the normal number of days available on the first week and excluding budget rereleases, I think Viva Pinata has done the biggest multiple of its first week. Thoooough it's pretty small.
2734+-+Viva+Pinata+-+X360

For PS3 I think it's Motorstorm.
19+-+Motorstorm+-+PS3

Here's the old legs tool that I'm looking at.

EDIT: It's worth noting that neither of those ever made a normal weekly top 30. Probably a lot of lesser games like that have big legs by that definition and we just never see it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Stumpokapow said:
ace combat 6
dead rising
forza 2

ridge racer 7
gt5p
mobile suit gundam crossfire
cod4
genji 2

i guess it has longest legs on the ps3 for a non-launch japanese-developed hardcore game
Is Ace Combat 6 and Forza 2 bundled with some Xbox 360 consoles?

donny2112

gantz85 said:
So, which are the legitimate "long-legs" games without Best of and without Bundles this generation fo the HD consoles in JP?

I haven't looked at the long leg end much (I'm usually more interested in the no leg end). BEST titles typically have incredibly long legs, though, and bundles do make the water a little more murky as to why the game kept selling (e.g. GT5:p Spec III - great continued sales before dropping off a cliff for no apparent reason except that the bundle must've run out). It might also be more beneficial to limit the games looked at to having sold a certain minimum. It's relatively easy to have a low 1st week percentage (one factor in having long legs) when you have a < 10K first week and end up close to 50K, but that's not the kinds of games we usually think of as having long legs.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Yes, as was GT5:p Spec III.
Ok, thanks for the info :)

Ye, GT5:p Spec III was also bundled indeed, but wasnt that game sold seperately as well? I guess that most of the sales could have come from the bundles though, since it dropped of the charts after the bundle stopped as you said.

Was the Ace Combat 6 and Forza 2 bundle a "special" disc(s), or was they sold seperately as well? I know that the games were sold seperately to begin with.

donny2112

test_account said:
Was the Ace Combat 6 and Forza 2 bundle a "special" disc(s), or was they sold seperately as well? I know that the games were sold seperately to begin with.

Background:
Famitsu changed their policy in the last couple of years to start counting combo disks as sales toward each individual game's total. They didn't used to do this, but are now.

With that in mind, Forza 2 and Viva Pinata were on a 360 hardware bundle disk, and Ace Combat 6 and Beautiful Katamari were on a 360 hardware bundle disk. As mentioned, sales of the combo disk counted as a sale for each individual game. Also, these were all the Platinum Collection (i.e. BEST) versions of the games.

test_account said:
I guess that most of the sales could have come from the bundles though, since it dropped of the charts after the bundle stopped as you said.

Weekly sales of GT5:p Spec III:
20081214 - 23,164
20081221 - 29,314
20081228 - 40,842
20090104 - 59,846
<next two weeks combined> - < 5K
20090125 - 851

When I say fell off a cliff, I mean fell off a cliff. :lol Kurosaki Ichigo and I discussed this some back in January, IIRC. That kind of sales pattern just doesn't happen to a game outside of shortages, and since it didn't pop back up on the charts later, it had to be the bundle running out of stock.

gantz85

Banned
donny2112 said:
20081214 - 23,164
20081221 - 29,314
20081228 - 40,842
20090104 - 59,846
20090125 - 851

When I say fell off a cliff, I mean fell off a cliff. :lol Kurosaki Ichigo and I discussed this some back in January, IIRC. That kind of sales pattern just doesn't happen to a game outside of shortages, and since it didn't pop back up on the charts later, it had to be the bundle running out of stock.

Do you think it reflects demand for the bundles though? Because if they do why not keep a good thing going?

donny2112

gantz85 said:
Do you think it reflects demand for the bundles though?

If it was selling because of demand for the game, the standalone game would've kept it from dropping so low on the charts that abruptly.

gantz85 said:
Because if they do why not keep a good thing going?

We wondered the same kind of thing back in January. I think the Spec III bundle was the same price as the regular PS3, so maybe it cost Sony too much money to continue including the game for no additional charge.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Background:
Famitsu changed their policy in the last couple of years to start counting combo disks as sales toward each individual game's total. They didn't used to do this, but are now.

With that in mind, Forza 2 and Viva Pinata were on a 360 hardware bundle disk, and Ace Combat 6 and Beautiful Katamari were on a 360 hardware bundle disk. As mentioned, sales of the combo disk counted as a sale for each individual game. Also, these were all the Platinum Collection (i.e. BEST) versions of the games.
Ah ok. Are Forza 2 and Ace Combat 2 are on one disc by the way, or are there 2 disc inside 1 plastic cover? I thought that Forza 2 alone so to say maxed out a DVD.

donny2112 said:
20081214 - 23,164
20081221 - 29,314
20081228 - 40,842
20090104 - 59,846
20090125 - 851

That is quite a drop indeed. Ye, i agree, i would also think that the GT5:p Spec III dropped in the charts because that the PS3 bundle stopped.

donny2112

test_account said:
Are Forza 2 and Ace Combat 2 are on one disc by the way, or are there 2 disc inside 1 plastic cover?

I thought the combo game disks were just one disk, but I guess it could've been multiple disks in one case. Does anyone else know whether it was two games on one disk or multiple disks in a single case?

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
I thought the combo game disks were just one disk, but I guess it could've been multiple disks in one case. Does anyone else know whether it was two games on one disk or multiple disks in a single case?
I did some searching on Google, but i couldnt find any info about it :\ But i did find this:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-br-49-en-70-2ngs.html

It seems that this Forza 2 and Viva Pinata bundle were sold seperately as well, or am i mistaken? If it was sold seperately as well, i didnt know this :)

EDIT: Or was this what you ment with "sales of the combo disk counted as a sale for each individual game" as you mention earlier? That some of these bundle discs were sold seperately as well.

donny2112

test_account said:
It seems that this Forza 2 and Viva Pinata bundle were sold seperately as well, or am i mistaken?

I think it was something that was supposed to be included with every new 360 purchase, but it wasn't physically in the box. Therefore, they could've sold some separately.

test_account said:
EDIT: Or was this what you ment with "sales of the combo disk counted as a sale for each individual game" as you mention earlier? That some of these bundle discs were sold seperately as well.

Buy 1 combo Forza 2/Viva Pinata bundle => Forza 2's LTD total goes up by 1 and Viva Pinata's LTD total goes up by 1

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
I think it was something that was supposed to be included with every new 360 purchase, but it wasn't physically in the box. Therefore, they could've sold some separately.
Ah ok, cool :)

donny2112 said:
Buy 1 combo Forza 2/Viva Pinata bundle => Forza 2's LTD total goes up by 1 and Viva Pinata's LTD total goes up by 1
Ok, i understand :)

Top Bottom