• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create May 11 - 17

Datschge

ShockingAlberto said:
Nintendo got a mainline Tales, but they didn't get a Team Symphonia Tales. They're either working on a port or a new HD game, but either way, the arguably highest quality Tales games are not going to be on Wii.
If you are talking about Tales of Graces, that seems to be by Team Destiny, which is actually the one of the two teams filled with veterans (and their games have been of consistently higher quality than Symphonia's, they just didn't get released in the West). Not that it really matters since at Tales Studio most staff besides rather few leads is shared.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Olaeh said:
What other AAA games do you think they should fork over for? Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter seem to be the biggest (and safest) hitters.

what AAA games did microsoft or sony "fork over for" this gen?

sphinx

the piano man
particularly about dragon quest 10, the one thing can be concluded since its announcement is that, at the very least, nintendo will try to keep the Wii "as is" relevant in the market for the next 3 or 4 years after the Iwata's DQ10 exclusivity announcement.

Enix is very strict with their rule " DQ on the biggest console ". If the game was to appear on Wii's next iteration, first it would have to show it's the superior console in sales and popularity, which would take another 2 or 3 years at least.

One sure thing is that DQ10 will appear on Wii an nowhere else.

andwhat the fuck is wrong with DQ9???? does it have a release date already?this is a worse delayathon than twilight princess.

ksamedi

Stumpokapow said:
what AAA games did microsoft or sony "fork over for" this gen?

None. But thats not the point. Third parties want to develop for those systems and want them to become successful. Even the smallest incentive could have sealed the deal for a lot of the Microsoft or Sony exclusives. I doubt Nintendo would have had equal success with the same methods that Microsoft or Sony used. Do we even know what kind of talks there were behind closed doors?

test_account

XP-39C²
DeaconKnowledge said:
What I meant is that Monster Hunter is selling because it is on the Wii platform, as well as it being a monster franchise in Japan (pardon the pun). As such the game still would have been popular had it been a PS3 exclusive instead, though how it would have done in comparison is anyone's guess.
Ah yes, that is true, i agree :)

Jokeropia

gantz85 said:
But consider that Wii's hardware base is 2.5x larger than PS3's. All things considered you will expect 2.5x the software sales performance. In this aspect, Wii has outperformed itself in the Top 5 (5.5x) and Top 10 (4.5x) against the PS3. After that though, the Wii isn't performing as it should. Wii Top 11-20 outsold PS3's by only 2x, meaning it underperformed against the benchmark 2.5x. Outside of the Top 20 the Wii continued to underperform more and more.
Again, this is false. Total Wii software sales are >2.5x total PS3 software sales. (2.95x, to be precise.)
gantz85 said:
In fact the data tells us that top third-party developers can sell more on the PS3 than the Wii (higher max unit sales, top 5 PS3 third party > top 5 Wii third party [units sales]).
What you fail to take into consideration (intentionally or not) is that the amount of high profile third party releases on PS3 far outnumber the respective amount on Wii. Things will look different when Wii finally gets it's major third party games and I am pretty confident that DQX for example will be the best selling console third party game of the generation.
gantz85 said:
If you're thinking about the former, then I don't think there's much of a chance of Nintendo getting big franchises sewn up exclusively for the Wii, even if only for Japan. Reason being, the big hitters have already been released worldwide and games like RE5, MGS4, DMC4, GTA4 have all done figures comparable or exceeding their prequel on previous generation console platforms.
Actually, in Japan the big PS3 games have generally done worse than their PS2 prequels.

Btw, claiming to be completely objective and crying about "Wii zealots" and "hardcore craziness" when people disagree is stupid.
Flying_Phoenix said:
The PS2's "Casual gamers" and the Wii's "Casual gamers" are two completely different breeds.
Nope. In the US, ~71% of Wii owners are also PS2 owners. (The Japanese number is probably lower, but I don't think it's radically so.) And since the Wii owners include Nintendo's core fanbase in addition to the PS2 casuals, the overlap among just the casuals is likely even larger.

gantz85

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Again, this is false. Total Wii software sales are >2.5x total PS3 software sales. (2.95x, to be precise.)

You misunderstood the data, I've already acknowledged Wii's total software sales. Would you please go back and read my post clearly.

What you fail to take into consideration (intentionally or not) is that the amount of high profile third party releases on PS3 far outnumber the respective amount on Wii. Things will look different when Wii finally gets it's major third party games and I am pretty confident that DQX for example will be the best selling console third party game of the generation.Actually, in Japan the big PS3 games have generally done worse than their PS2 prequels.

Already been discussed.

Btw, claiming to be completely objective and crying about "Wii zealots" and "hardcore craziness" when people disagree is stupid.

After what has been said, you're looking extremely stupid here.

RyuKanSan

Here's something I found intriguing:

These poll results come from Net-Asia, a Tokyo-based market researcher. The survey involved men and women aged 10-40 that own game consoles/play games.

28% own a Wii, on average aged 32
4.3% own a PS3, average age 26
5.6% own both
77% of PS3 owners play alone
78% of Wii owners play with family
PS3 owners mostly play action games
Wii owners mostly play RPGs
81% of PS3 owners purchased the system for the games
52% of Wii owners purchased the system for the games
66% of PS3 owners purchased the system for graphics
37% of Wii owners purchased the system as a health tool

What I found really interesting is what's in bold. Clearly Nintendo get some Rpg's on the Wii in Japan and you're golden.

Square Enix should take note here as well.

Jokeropia

gantz85 said:
You misunderstood the data, I've already acknowledged Wii's total software sales. Would you please go back and read my post clearly.
->
gantz85 said:
But consider that Wii's hardware base is 2.5x larger than PS3's. All things considered you will expect 2.5x the software sales performance. In this aspect, Wii has outperformed itself in the Top 5 (5.5x) and Top 10 (4.5x) against the PS3. After that though, the Wii isn't performing as it should. Wii Top 11-20 outsold PS3's by only 2x, meaning it underperformed against the benchmark 2.5x. Outside of the Top 20 the Wii continued to underperform more and more.
When you start with the assertion "All things considered you will expect 2.5x the software sales performance", one would expect that you'd also mention what the actual overall ratio is somewhere in that paragraph as well. That's all I'm saying.
gantz85 said:
Already been discussed.
So it has, but I mentioned it anyway since I want to underline that if you aspire to be objective as you claimed you really should've mentioned it in the first analysis.
gantz85 said:
After what has been said, you're looking extremely stupid here.
You posted more 'fanboy wars' comments in this discussion than anyone else. Were they just sarcasm?

donny2112

If anyone is surprised that PS3 > Wii for third-parties in Japan, they haven't been paying attention to the third-party console landscape in Japan. What is somewhat surprising is that even though the PS3 just had the run it did of third-party games, that it only leads by ~1.4 million (7.5 vs. 6.1 in my database). Prior to February it was PS3 > Wii at 6.1 to 5.5, so the string of third-party games it just had increased its lead by ~0.8 million. I'm sure some of that Wii closeness is due to the greater number of third-party games, though.

BishopLamont said:
Pretty sure JJS meant the Wii's own MGS/RE/SC/Tales and not a port of the HD versions, and I don't see why not?
Just ragging on the GameCube's lack of success even with some fairly big third party names. Given that, I'm not surprised that Nintendo and/or major third parties didn't find it a strategy worth immediately repeating, especially when the latter perceived Nintendo to be in an even weaker position than before. There wasn't going to be a Miyamoto-Kojima handshake promising MGS1-3 remakes and exclusive 0 and 4. Going for the equivalent of what Tales of Symphonia was to GCN would be more difficult, with the returns from a year-late port to a more successful platform not seeming so great if it's going to look uglier than everything else there. If I'm an Atlus I wouldn't want to risk going from being a second-tier publisher to being a second-tier publisher on a distant-second platform. Sooo they went the route of going heavy on first party in hopes that they could smash that 4 million barrier in Japan and that 22 million barrier worldwide. And if not, at least they wouldn't be bleeding.

birdchili

RyuKanSan said:
What I found really interesting is what's in bold. Clearly Nintendo get some Rpg's on the Wii in Japan and you're golden.

Square Enix should take note here as well.
it's doubly-interesting considering the dearth of interesting rpgs on the platform. one would imagine that reminding people that dq is coming would allow some smaller rpgs to do quite well. Stephen Totilo came to similar conclusions re: rpgs with his "time played" analysis from data in the Nintendo Channel.

square enix has done a fair bit of rpgish stuff on wiiware, but getting on the wii bandwagon late with full-sized rpgs is going to cost you even more time than most genres given the dev resources typically required.

it kind-of looks like the crystal bearers is going to be a game of significant scope now.

52% of Wii owners purchased the system for the games
37% of Wii owners purchased the system as a health tool
that's 89%...

umm... weather channel? youtube videos?

Spiegel

JoshuaJSlone said:
Just ragging on the GameCube's lack of success even with some fairly big third party names. Given that, I'm not surprised that Nintendo and/or major third parties didn't find it a strategy worth immediately repeating, especially when the latter perceived Nintendo to be in an even weaker position than before. There wasn't going to be a Miyamoto-Kojima handshake promising MGS1-3 remakes and exclusive 0 and 4. Going for the equivalent of what Tales of Symphonia was to GCN would be more difficult, with the returns from a year-late port to a more successful platform not seeming so great if it's going to look uglier than everything else there. If I'm an Atlus I wouldn't want to risk going from being a second-tier publisher to being a second-tier publisher on a distant-second platform. Sooo they went the route of going heavy on first party in hopes that they could smash that 4 million barrier in Japan and that 22 million barrier worldwide. And if not, at least they wouldn't be bleeding.

The time to do more deals with third parties was about the time when they got MH3 (mid-late 07, games announced by now and with a mid-late 09 release).
They had the cash and the console was selling at a record level.

So yes, I'm surprised about their supposed incompetency on this matter.

Rolf NB

birdchili said:
that's 89%...

umm... weather channel? youtube videos?
Looking at the PS3 stats there's a "for the graphics" choice and they probably offered that for the Wii as well (and there may still be more unrevealed options).

Datschge

bcn-ron said:
Looking at the PS3 stats there's a "for the graphics" choice and they probably offered that for the Wii as well (and there may still be more unrevealed options).
They don't sum up to 100% but go beyond in PS3's case already anyway, so I think it's just an incomplete results listing from a multiple choices/answers question. The more reason for someone to summarize the (I assume more complete) original Japanese article.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
birdchili said:
wii (only) owners older (by 6 years) than ps3 (only) owners is a bit interesting. it certainly matches my experience, but goes a bit against the common wisdom.
Does it? I always assumed with products like Wii Fit and the ease of access of Wii games it drew older people back into gaming etc, wasn't that the idea?

Datschge

birdchili said:
wii (only) owners older (by 6 years) than ps3 (only) owners is a bit interesting. it certainly matches my experience, but goes a bit against the common wisdom.
How are you surprised? If the Wii excels at something it is the increased age range it appeals to, which increases the average age as the classic market was biased toward younger ages. (And what "common wisdom" do you talk about? "Nintendo is for the kidz"?)

birdchili

Datschge said:
How are you surprised? If the Wii excels at something it is the increased age range it appeals to, which increases the average age as the classic market was biased toward younger ages.
i suppose. you also don't stereotypically get a ps3 for your kids. everyone surveyed is between 10 and 40, so it's not like they canvassed a care home that'll really skew the distribution.

it'd be interesting to see the std deviation, which is surely much higher for wii. i wonder if the vc is bringing lapsed gamers back in any numbers.

"Nintendo is for the kidz"
yeah... sort-of. also one could make extrapolations based on what you see on store shelves.

Eteric Rice

birdchili said:
i suppose. you also don't stereotypically get a ps3 for your kids. everyone surveyed is between 10 and 40, so it's not like they canvassed a care home that'll really skew the distribution.

it'd be interesting to see the std deviation, which is surely much higher for wii. i wonder if the vc is bringing lapsed gamers back in any numbers.

yeah... sort-of. also one could make extrapolations based on what you see on store shelves.

Nintendo really makes games that sort of fall in between. They don't make bloody games, but they don't really make characters that are tailored just for "kids." I think the composer for Super Mario Galaxy said something like this. I remember him saying that after Nintendo pretty much told him that the score he made sucked, he asked the older composer what he should do. He said something like, "The music shouldn't be cute for little kids, it should be "cool."

Or something like that.

My point is that Nintendo's characters fall in between. You can be an adult, or a kid and enjoy the game. They had a few characters from back in the Playstation days like this (Crash Bandicoot, Croc, Spyro). Now adays we have Ratchet & Clank, which fall into this category.

Unfortunately, I don't think many third parties quite understand that they need to make their characters attractive to kids, but non-offensive and cool to adults. Kids and adults alike play R&C.

Think Shrek. Kids and adults love the shit out of that movie.

bmf said:
The image I have in my mind is of Nintendo having a branch that sends out energetic young men to hang out outside Capcom, Konami, Namco, and Squeenix HQs to hijack executives and buy hookers for them.

183088-1.jpg

Everything is going to Keikaku.

Buy them hookers? Fuck that, Nintendo could just send them to some of their love hotels.

thefro

Olaeh said:
As for the people suggesting that Nintendo should start to moneyhat for games now- They've got Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter 3, Tales of, and Samurai Warriors 3 already. It would be nice if they came sooner, but they are coming.... Also, everyone seems to think this gen will last longer. What other AAA games do you think they should fork over for? Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter seem to be the biggest (and safest) hitters.

Yep, and Crystal Bearers should do fairly well on top of that. Third party support looks very solid in the future and will just get better.

In general, I don't agree at all with the premise of the last few pages of the thread.

They couldn't moneyhat FF13/MGS4/RE5/DMC4 because those games were announced for the HD consoles years and years ago. Pretty much everything else has little sales impact in Japan.

They couldn't show motion controls to all the third parties ages ago since Sony/Microsoft would have copied it even earlier.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Eteric Rice said:
Buy them hookers? Fuck that, Nintendo could just send them to some of their love hotels.
They would still need the hookers.. unless they're going to sit in the room by themselves? :lol

Vinci

Danish
Sage00 said:
They would still need the hookers.. unless they're going to sit in the room by themselves? :lol

Western devs would be easy to set up with girls sans pay. Japanese devs? Eh, yeah. Filipino hookers more than likely.

Jokeropia

birdchili said:
There were actually some pretty extensive information on this issue in Nintendo's FY09 briefing.

12l.jpg

13l.jpg

46l.jpg

If you follow the link you'll find data for the DS and the US market as well.

donny2112

Famitsu May 18-24

DSL 4400
DSi 31000
PSP 28000
Wii 14000
PS3 9100
PS2 4700
360 4800

#1 is 59K, but #10 is still below 10K. :/

Edit:
#1 is Level-5's new DS series in a similar vein to Professor Layton, "Sloane and McHale's Mysterious Story."

Spiegel

01. [NDS] Sloan to Michael: Nazo no Monogatari (Level 5) - 59000
02. [NDS] Pro Yakyuu Team o Tsukurou! 2 (Lets Make a Pro Baseball Team 2) (SEGA) - 47000
03. [360] Mass Effect (Microsoft) - 18000
04. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (Pokemon) - 15000
05. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) - 14000 / 727000
06. [PSP] Bleach: Heat the Soul 6 (SCE) - 14000 / 55000
07. [NDS] WarioWare Myself! (Nintendo) - 13000 / 146000
08. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 12000 / 3376000
09. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) 9800 / 615000
10. [NDS] Dragon Ball Kai: Saiyajin Raishuu (Bandai Namco Games) - 9400 - 172000

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Definitely a recession or just calm now that some games hit. I would expect a pickup once more crap comes out. Pretty lackluster overall.

-Kh-

Banned
donny2112 said:
Famitsu May 18-24

Wii 14000
PS3 9100

#1 is 59K, but #10 is still below 10K. :/

Is this the third week, or fourth already, where the Wii has gone back to sell more than the PS3?

Any relative big games for any platform coming out in June? Or sales will be low the whole month until July's DQIX.

-Kh-

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Wii Sports Resort should hit in June...

No media coverage yet, no marketing out, Nintendo silent as stone (waiting for E3 surely).

Might they announce a late June release there now during E3? Or will it hit aroun July 24~ together with the US and EU releases?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
-Kh- said:
No media coverage yet, no marketing out, Nintendo silent as stone (waiting for E3 surely).

Might they announce a late June release there now during E3? Or will it hit aroun July 24~ together with the US and EU releases?

There are advertisments several times a day for it here.

Minsc

Gold Member
Cosmonaut X said:
Wii Sports Resort should hit in June...

I'm thinking it may end up tracking more like Wii Music than Wii Fit or Sports the way Nintendo's been going at it.

markatisu

-Kh- said:

Aren't there commercials all over Japan? But yet we still do not have a release date, Iwata has said he learned from Wii Music so it will be interesting to see how this pans out.
Wii: 391,366
PS3: 464,073

So about 75k, I thought it was much bigger for some reason

Minsc said:
I'm thinking it may end up tracking more like Wii Music than Wii Fit or Sports the way Nintendo's been going at it.

Well, perhaps, but that wasn't the question being asked. It is one of the most high-profile releases to hit the platform in the next month or so, and that's what the poster wanted to know about.

Top Bottom