• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/13 - 04/19

donny2112

Flying_Phoenix said:
Also Valkyria is starting to get some legs.

BEST re-releases very often have outrageous legs. Often < 10% for the 1st week/LTD percentage.

birdchili said:
it's a bit odd that nintendo is sequeling sports after all of their talk of surprises and doing fewer sequels.

I wish this was an actual sequel to Wii Sports (e.g. advanced version of Wii Sports or different sports in a similar format). We've discussed this before, but in my opinion from what we know of the game, this is closer to a sequel for Wii Play than a sequel for Wii Sports (i.e. it's there to show off the capabilities of the controller part its bundled with).

Vinci

Danish
donny2112 said:
I wish this was an actual sequel to Wii Sports (e.g. advanced version of Wii Sports or different sports in a similar format). We've discussed this before, but in my opinion from what we know of the game, this is closer to a sequel for Wii Play than a sequel for Wii Sports (i.e. it's there to show off the capabilities of the controller part its bundled with).

Exactly. It's there for M+, not the Wii. I think Nintendo gets this.

Grimmy

Banned
onipex said:
So you don't think it is possible for someone to own a PSP and Wii? I don't expect all the people who play MHP2G to buy the MH games on Wii, but selling 100k with a little bump points to existing MH fans. Unless you think most of those buyers are new fans.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not trying to claim that half the PSP MH fan base is on the Wii already either.

Oh, I see. I thought you mean the latter. Yes, of course it's the overlapping fanbase that's buying MHG. But the problem is, that overlap is small.

birdchili

Vinci said:
Exactly. It's there for M+, not the Wii. I think Nintendo gets this.
they've been holding their cards pretty-close to their chest regarding the content of resort. we know of what... three "events" that are in it? (frisbee, swordfighting and jet ski?). the whole "resort" theme seems really tacked-on so far too - i'm curious if they're going to give it a bit more cohesion than sports had.

it's not impossible for wsr to be a hardware driver, but right now it doesn't look like the kind of new or surprising thing that's going to bring new folk into the hardware club. it'll sell millions, of course.

Vinci

Danish
Grimmy said:
Oh, I see. I thought you mean the latter. Yes, of course it's the overlapping fanbase that's buying MHG. But the problem is, that overlap is small.

Where you see a problem, Capcom and Nintendo see opportunity.

EDIT: And I don't mean this in a rosy sense.

donny2112

birdchili said:
the whole "resort" theme seems really tacked-on so far too - i'm curious if they're going to give it a bit more cohesion than sports had.

Wii Sports at least had the common theme that they were all sports. Yes, 3 of the 8 things in Wii Sports Resort are currently known.

birdchili

donny2112 said:
Wii Sports at least had the common theme that they were all sports. Yes, 3 of the 8 things in Wii Sports Resort are currently known.
was already joking about this in another thread, but doesn't everyone head off to resorts for the sword fighting?

it's seems a bizarre "theme" so far unless there's something tying it all together somehow that we haven't been made aware of.

markatisu

birdchili said:
they've been holding their cards pretty-close to their chest regarding the content of resort. we know of what... three "events" that are in it? (frisbee, swordfighting and jet ski?). the whole "resort" theme seems really tacked-on so far too - i'm curious if they're going to give it a bit more cohesion than sports had.

it's not impossible for wsr to be a hardware driver, but right now it doesn't look like the kind of new or surprising thing that's going to bring new folk into the hardware club. it'll sell millions, of course.

By the same token Wii Play had a slimmed down duck hunt, cow racing, and tanks

I would imagine there is more to WSR then 3 events, with about 1 month till release though you would hope Nintendo would talk about it more.

I also wonder what the impact M+ will have in JP, to my knowledge there are no other games using it. Its really low key compared to the US and EU which have M+ launch lineups with EA and confirmed games down the road

donny2112

birdchili said:
it's seems a bizarre "theme" so far unless there's something tying it all together somehow that we haven't been made aware of.

Another reason it seems a lot more like Wii Play to me. :lol

d+pad

This is going to be a very interesting year for the Wii. I'm really getting the feeling that WSR will be popular but won't do much to help hardware sales.

Also, part of me wonders if the game will sell decently but be more of a disappointment (like Wii Music) than a success (like Wii Fit). I have to wonder how much the "resort" setting is going to appeal to people - whereas I'm pretty sure a Wii Sports 2 or Wii Sports+ or some sort of update to Wii Sports surely would grab the attention (and dollars) of anyone who has owned and loved the original.

As much as I think NOJ needs to develop and release an update to Wii Sports, though, it's clear they need something else entirely, too. Updates to Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit are mostly going to sell to those who own the original versions - and as such won't bump hardware sales much (if at all).

So, they either have to come up with something new that will continue to expand the buying/playing audience, or they need to attract more of those core gamers that are still playing their PS2s and looking for a new console to buy/play. I really think MHTri will do this, but what else is there? DQX, obviously, but who knows when that will happen? KH3 would also be good, but I have a feeling we won't be seeing that this generation - or at least not until very late in the generation.

What could Nintendo pop out that would attract such an audience, though? I don't think a new Mario or Zelda will do the trick unless they somehow make the series more accessible (a la New SMB). They already updated MK Wii, so I guess that leaves Pilotwings, F-Zero, Pikmin ... I could see a Pilotwings Wii being pretty popular, I guess.

Not sure where I'm going with this other than to say that NOJ is in an interesting and strange predicament right now. It'll be interesting to see how they - and the Wii - come out of it.

birdchili

nintendo reversed the plan with wii, going after those third and fourth-year ps2 purchasers at launch. now they're mired in the perception that there's nothing on the wii that caters to those folk who are typically courted in the first couple of years (complicated by the growing quality game libraries of the competition).

for japan, i think a brilliant, first-party jrpg could do wonders. the controller is just itching to be used for an rpg and there really isn't a defining one out on any of the current platforms.

Rolf NB

donny2112 said:
You missed the last data point, which is what Vinci was referring to. The PS3 continuing to remain above the Wii (21K vs. 20K) is not so much impressive for the PS3 as it is a sign that the primary buying motivator for the Wii (big Nintendo games) has been absent for a very, very long time.
Well it's still above ever so slightly, making this a nine-week run. If the 1k difference in favor of the PS3 in Monster Hunter G week isn't impressive enough, that preceding string of weeks should help.

Honestly, the only reason I didn't include the latest data points in the graph was to avoid mixing trackers. Would it void the impression if I added it in? No. Not at all.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bcn-ron said:
Well it's still above ever so slightly, making this a nine-week run. If the 1k difference in favor of the PS3 in Monster Hunter G week isn't impressive enough, that preceding string of weeks should help.

Honestly, the only reason I didn't include the latest data points in the graph was to avoid mixing trackers. Would it void the impression if I added it in? No. Not at all.

Are you using Famitsu or MC numbers?

Rolf NB

schuelma said:
Are you using Famitsu or MC numbers?
Media Create. I don't usually maintain a spreadsheet but just fetched what I needed from the threads here. Please don't tell me I got the numbers wrong.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
bcn-ron said:
Media Create. I don't usually maintain a spreadsheet but just fetched what I needed from the threads here. Please don't tell me I got the numbers wrong.

I'm sure they are right, but just so you know- using Famitsu (which is where the 21K/20K numbers are from), Wii actually was ahead of PS3 the week before the FF13 demo.

Killzone 2 is the second-best opening for any FPS in Japan this gen, behind only Halo 3's 61k. If it can surpass Halo 3's lifetime of 84k, it would become the third-biggest FPS this gen (after Resistance and COD 4). Passing the COD 4 lifetime of 114k is possible, but very doubtful; it'd be a long, slow crawl if it gets there. This is good performance, but not shockingly so (pretty much like its American sales).

d+pad

birdchili said:
nintendo reversed the plan with wii, going after those third and fourth-year ps2 purchasers at launch. now they're mired in the perception that there's nothing on the wii that caters to those folk who are typically courted in the first couple of years (complicated by the growing quality game libraries of the competition).

I think you've nailed it on the head. They kind of jumped right past those early-adopter types didn't they? And now they're struggling a bit to go back and court them, even though there are plenty of games they'd be interested in (Zelda: TP, SMG, Super Paper Mario, SSBB, etc.)...

d+pad

velvet_nitemare said:
Game is what, 2 months away?

Their close chested strategy is now extending to even their casual games it seems.

Honestly, I wish NOJ and NOA would drop the bullshit and tell all of us why they're doing this. Do their numbers suggest this is working? If so, I'd honestly like to look at those numbers and hear their take on them.

Even if the numbers do suggest a strategy works well enough on a game-by-game basis, I have a feeling it doesn' work well on an overall basis - i.e., there's no consistent/continual branding of the system.

donny2112

d+pad said:
I think you've nailed it on the head.

No, he missed and hit his thumb. Nintendo did the same kind of games in the first few years as they did during the GameCube era and added expanded audience games on top of that. Nintendo didn't skip the first-day buyers. Third-parties did when it came to the Wii.

Vinci

Danish
donny2112 said:
No, he missed and hit his thumb. Nintendo did the same kind of games in the first few years as they did during the GameCube era and added expanded audience games on top of that. Nintendo didn't skip the first-day buyers. Third-parties did when it came to the Wii.

Exactly. It's not like Nintendo was silent the first 18 months of this system's life. They brought out nearly every damn thing in their library. Not only was this impressive as all hell - it was equally impressive how few people actually noticed or gave them credit for doing so.

Liabe Brave said:
Killzone 2 is the second-best opening for any FPS in Japan this gen, behind only Halo 3's 61k. If it can surpass Halo 3's lifetime of 84k, it would become the third-biggest FPS this gen (after Resistance and COD 4). Passing the COD 4 lifetime of 114k is possible, but very doubtful; it'd be a long, slow crawl if it gets there. This is good performance, but not shockingly so (pretty much like its American sales).

I think it'll pass Halo 3, but IDK about COD4...

Liabe Brave said:
I thought Halo 3 had passed 100k in Japan quite some time ago.

Captain Smoker said:
Almost.

Shipped: 44.400
Sold-thr.: 43.000

Almost 97% sold?

Didn't think KZ2 would do that. Might have a little tail after this week after all, if they can get the second shipment out before it starts hitting used racks. Online should help keep that in check a little. I did notice about 1/3 of the people on my JP account's friends list playing it.

Liabe Brave said:

Halo3 did 58,672 the first week, according to Media Create. (Close enough though.) On a system that only moved a little over 5k that week, and only had around 150k LTD at the time. KZ2 doesn't have nearly that amazing tie-in. That was pretty insane to watch. The people who wanted H3 really wanted it, and most of them already had the system in anticipation.

I agree it's not a shocking performance, but a good one. I think KZ2 has a pretty good chance surpassing H3's sales, just based on it's MUCH larger install base and it's ability to showcase the power of the PS3. I don't think it'll break 100K though like COD4. KZ2 is great, but it's really not nearly as friendly to casual or non-FPS players as COD4 is. COD4 is almost the perfect gateway to FPSs. KZ2 is pretty punishing by comparison to both COD4 and Halo 3.

iidesuyo

Vinci said:
Exactly. It's not like Nintendo was silent the first 18 months of this system's life. They brought out nearly every damn thing in their library. Not only was this impressive as all hell - it was equally impressive how few people actually noticed or gave them credit for doing so.

They should have courted 3rd parties MUCH more. Also the low hardware power is just inviting to produce cheap games.

Bringing out everything thing of their library didn't work well with N64 and GC in Japan, and it now slows down the Wii in Japan (which was boosted by its new control scheme and the WiiXY series). On the long run Wii won't become a next Famicom/PS2 with only the obligatory Nintendo sequels.

lupinko

Pristine_Condition said:
Almost 97% sold?

Didn't think KZ2 would do that. Might have a little tail after this week after all, if they can get the second shipment out before it starts hitting used racks. Online should help keep that in check a little. I did notice about 1/3 of the people on my JP account's friends list playing it.

Halo3 did 58,672 the first week, according to Media Create. (Close enough though.) On a system that only moved a little over 5k that week, and only had around 150k LTD at the time. KZ2 doesn't have nearly that amazing tie-in. That was pretty insane to watch. The people who wanted H3 really wanted it, and most of them already had the system in anticipation.

I agree it's not a shocking performance, but a good one. I think KZ2 has a pretty good chance surpassing H3's sales, just based on it's MUCH larger install base and it's ability to showcase the power of the PS3. I don't think it'll break 100K though like COD4. KZ2 is great, but it's really not nearly as friendly to casual or non-FPS players as COD4 is. COD4 is almost the perfect gateway to FPSs. KZ2 is pretty punishing by comparison to both COD4 and Halo 3.

I'm pretty sure with games like Demon's Souls, JP gamers wouldn't have an issue with KZ2's difficulty.

lupinko said:
I'm pretty sure with games like Demon's Souls, JP gamers wouldn't have an issue with KZ2's difficulty.

Apples-Oranges. I'm talking about FPSs, not RPGs, even first-person ones. And didn't ALL FOUR Famitsu reviewers deduct points from Demon's Souls for it's difficulty anyway? 3-4 making large deductions? It's clear that at least some JP players rejected the game based on difficulty.

And it's not just the difficulty I was talking about. There's the very real issue of motion sickness. With all the inertia, ect., KZ2 is right on the borderline of being too much for a lot of WESTERN players. I can imagine some JP players having a real problem with KZ2, unless it's been tuned differently.

markatisu

Link said:
Hey guys, what's going on in this thread?!

same old same old, debating whether the PS3 is impressive or the Wii is pathetic, why WSR wont move jack shit in hardware, and KZ2 performance

d+pad

Vinci said:

I see what you're saying, but isn't it partially Nintendo's fault that so few people have noticed and/or given them credit for their "core" efforts on the Wii? I mean, at nearly every opportunity they talk about their more casual offerings. Hell, look at what they advertise - I still see Wii Fit ads in mass-market mags, but I rarely if ever see ads for their so-called core games.

Mirimar

Pristine_Condition said:
Apples-Oranges. I'm talking about FPSs, not RPGs, even first-person ones.

And it's not just the difficulty. There's the very real issue of motion sickness. With all the inertia, ect., KZ2 is right on the borderline of being too much for a lot of WESTERN players. I can imagine some JP players having a real problem with KZ2, unless it's been tuned differently.
Well, the game (Killzone 2) has had a good following in the Nicovideo community, much like Demons' Souls. I don't think they care if it's difficult or not as long as it's a good game. I mean, many of the play videos have them playing HUD-Less and there are quite a few that are good at it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
markatisu said:
same old same old, debating whether the PS3 is impressive or the Wii is pathetic, why WSR wont move jack shit in hardware, and KZ2 performance
I was being facetious.

Vinci

Danish
d+pad said:
I see what you're saying, but isn't it partially Nintendo's fault that so few people have noticed and/or given them credit for their "core" efforts on the Wii? I mean, at nearly every opportunity they talk about their more casual offerings. Hell, look at what they advertise - I still see Wii Fit ads in mass-market mags, but I rarely if ever see ads for their so-called core games.

The reason they don't get the credit they deserve in that regard has more to do with the fact that they're aggressively targeting 'casuals' and not kissing gamers' asses every ten seconds. And also because it allows yet another reason to dismiss them - something we've grown over the last several generations, be it 'kiddy,' 'casual,' 'tyrannical,' whatever.

There is this deep-seeded dislike for Nintendo, particularly in the younger gaming audience (Sony era gamers), that is just continually looking for reasons to reject anything they offer. This E3, they could bring out Mario Universe, Zelda Endgame, a new Donkey Kong, and people would still create something to bitch about.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Spiegel said:
Of course not! Psp is the next ps2

Eteric Rice said:

sorry guys but you can't compare PS2 Library with DS , PSP or Wii , PS2 was for fucking everyone , adult , babies , gangster , whores , Milfs , hardcore gamers , casual and have solid Library of every genre .

DS , PSP and WII combined can't even touch the smell of PS2 greatness

iidesuyo

I would never compare home consoles to handhelds. The Game Boy sold better than the SNES, still the latter was king in the early 90's. Just like GBA/DS/PSP cannot touch the PS2.

spwolf

markatisu said:

hows that same old? KZ2 just got released... and PS3 has only been beating Wii in past few months.

Eteric Rice

Totobeni said:
sorry guys but you can't compare PS2 Library with DS , PSP or Wii , PS2 was for fucking everyone , adult , babies , gangster , whores , Milfs , hardcore gamers , casual and have solid Library of every genre .

I'd say the DS is the closest this generation. All it's really missing are racing sims, fighting games, etc.

farnham

Banned
Totobeni said:

if you look at the million sellers of the ps2 in japan

you will see several dynasty warriors games from koei, some winning eleven titles from konami, onimusha 1 and 2, granturismo and FF and DQ...

does not seem to be recognized as a great library for babies and women if you ask me..

for hardcores sure..

Somnid

DS has way more bredth than the PS2. This is exactly why everyone owns one. You can clutch to Sony or clutch to your consoles but that doesn't take away the reality that the DS won this generation and in another year or so will have won all generations.

Vinci said:
There is this deep-seeded dislike for Nintendo, particularly in the younger gaming audience (Sony era gamers), that is just continually looking for reasons to reject anything they offer. This E3, they could bring out Mario Universe, Zelda Endgame, a new Donkey Kong, and people would still create something to bitch about.
I would like to kindly request that you not clutter this thread with data-free psychoanalysis.

Somnid said:
You can clutch to Sony or clutch to your consoles but that doesn't take away the reality that the DS won this generation and in another year or so will have won all generations.
Since you're clearly talking worldwide, it's actually probably going to take two years or more for DS to win all generations. They hit 100m just over a month ago.

iidesuyo

Somnid said:
DS has way more bredth than the PS2.

I don't think so. I agree to Totobeni, there is a lot of stuff like SingStar or GT4 or a proper PES etc. that is simply not makeable on the DS.

As said before, home consoles vs. handhelds, they are two different worlds. And for some reasons this has never been questioned before the DS.

Totobeni said:

The PS2 missed 8 million grannies.

iidesuyo said:
I would never compare home consoles to handhelds. The Game Boy sold better than the SNES, still the latter was king in the early 90's. Just like GBA/DS/PSP cannot touch the PS2.
The DS is unlike any previous handheld though, it's recieved way more support from first party and third parties. Sure it can't touch the PS2, but it's lying in bed right next to it.

gtj1092

Vinci said:
The reason they don't get the credit they deserve in that regard has more to do with the fact that they're aggressively targeting 'casuals' and not kissing gamers' asses every ten seconds. And also because it allows yet another reason to dismiss them - something we've grown over the last several generations, be it 'kiddy,' 'casual,' 'tyrannical,' whatever.

So are you saying that being a Sony era gamer is bad? I know its hard for Nfan to imagine but not everyone cares about nintendo games. And you speak as if though there isn't a huge contingent of "my first console was a nes and anything not nintendo is the devil" gamers out there.

my first console was an atari 2600

Top Bottom