• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/13 - 04/19

Rolf NB

Vinci said:
No. Not at all.
2naifqq.jpg

Vinci said:
Depends: Some were expecting a bump in hardware to accompany G's sales. [I didn't. A demo is hardly Tri itself.] But yes, the game's sales are good on their own.

A more overpriced demo without an accompanying game bumped the PS3 big time.

HUGE drop for PS3, more than I expected
Barely a bump for the wii, lower than I expected
Decent numbers for Killzone 2, not great, not bad
VC, awesome, must be at what now? 180k LTD? 200K seems certain
MHG did good, it will probably reach my LTD prediction of 500k
I'm confused about the 360 drop with new software launching.
Did Hawx launch only on the 360?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
markatisu said:
An almost 8k increase is not a positive sign? Could have stayed at 13-15k I suppose :lol

Given its former hardware numbers and given that MH G is the biggest Wii release until the middle of June, I'd say no, its not a great sign.

markatisu

bcn-ron said:
no not all graph

All that shows is big game releases spike the PS3 sales, how is that impressive when the 360 did the same thing when it was getting its best sales last year

If that trend continues now that PS3 has no big high profile releases, then yes that would be impressive

schuelma said:
Short term..probably not. I could see Wii holding a bit better since I think we generally know the basement of Wii sales (13K-15K) but don't know how long PS3 will fall.

We do know Wii Sports Resort is coming up in June, which should bump things up a bit. I don't think there is anything for PS3 coming up soon that could bump anything.

Maybe I'm way off here, but I think most people that want WSR already have a Wii for Wii Sports, I don't think the bump will be that large to be perfectly honest.

The PS3 also seems to have a decent lineup with at least one decent game a month until July or so, maybe it could stabilize at 12-15k.

schuelma

AranhaHunter said:

Unless people really start buying MH G for MH G, it won't come anywhere close to that number. I think 250K is about right.

RpgN

AranhaHunter said:
VC, awesome, must be at what now? 180k LTD? 200K seems certain

Yes, VC is over 180 LTD now including the best version :)

As for MHG reaching 500k LTD, doesn't that sound too much? What with the weekly number sold about 53k more compared to first day. It's pretty front loaded, but then again, I'm not sure what the shipment figures are.

In my opinion the best case scenario for it is 300k+, assuming it will stay front loaded. It's hard to see where this MH belongs. It will be very interesting to see if it has legs on a non playstation handheld.

It's good for a port, I'm not sure what it means for MH3. People will get ready for it, this must help it.

donny2112

bcn-ron said:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2naifqq.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

You missed the last data point, which is what Vinci was referring to. The PS3 continuing to remain above the Wii (21K vs. 20K) is not so much impressive for the PS3 as it is a sign that the primary buying motivator for the Wii (big Nintendo games) has been absent for a very, very long time.

markatisu

RpgN said:
As for MHG reaching 500k LTD, doesn't that sound too much? What with the weekly number sold about 53k more compared to first day. It's pretty front loaded, but then again, I'm not sure what the shipment figures are.

In my opinion the best case scenario for it is 300k+, assuming it will stay front loaded. It's hard to see where this MH belongs. It will be very interesting to see if it has legs on a non playstation handheld.

It's good for a port, I'm not sure what it means for MH3. People will get ready for it, this must help it.

The shipment figures were

Normal 90K
Starter Pack 120K

Not sure what it says about MHG except that Capcom should have shipped more Starter Packs I guess

Vinci said:
No. Not at all.

I beg to differ, PS3 outselling the Wii the week MHG comes out is indeed impressive.

EDIT: My 500K LTD figure for MHG assumes that it will have good legs.

donny2112 said:
You missed the last data point, which is what Vinci was referring to. The PS3 continuing to remain above the Wii (21K vs. 20K) is not so much impressive for the PS3 as it is a sign that the primary buying motivator for the Wii (big Nintendo games) has been absent for a very, very long time.

Yeah but everybody was expecting the Wii to outsell the PS3 this week with the release of MHG, and that's not the case.

schuelma

AranhaHunter said:
I beg to differ, PS3 outselling the Wii the week MHG comes out is indeed impressive.

If it was last year and Wii was doing 45K, then ok.

They are both doing poor and I don't see anything in the next month or so that will help the Wii and I don't see anything in the next 2-3 months that will help the PS3.

schuelma said:
If it was last year and Wii was doing 45K, then ok.

They are both doing poor and I don't see anything in the next month or so that will help the Wii and I don't see anything in the next 2-3 months that will help the PS3.

I agree.

donny2112

AranhaHunter said:
Yeah but everybody was expecting the Wii to outsell the PS3 this week with the release of MHG, and that's not the case.

It's good for the PS3, but it's also very, very bad for the Wii if the biggest release for it for the year so far (unless I'm forgetting something) can't push hardware over 20K the week before Golden Week begins. I'd hazard a guess that one of the main reasons the Wii sells as much as it does each week is still Wii Fit. That's pathetic, in my opinion.

Edit:
Oh, and no one commented on it, but good legs for Deca Sports 2. :lol

donny2112 said:
It's good for the PS3, but it's also very, very bad for the Wii if the biggest release for it for the year so far (unless I'm forgetting something) can't push hardware over 20K the week before Golden Week begins. I'd hazard a guess that one of the main reasons the Wii sells as much as it does each week is still Wii Fit. That's pathetic, in my opinion.

Edit:
Oh, and no one commented on it, but good legs for Deca Sports 2. :lol

At the same time, Monster Hunter G is the 4th release of the game. Yeah, it had a demo, but that's just a demo. The release of the actual game will probably drive sales a lot more.

markatisu

KuwabaraTheMan said:
At the same time, Monster Hunter G is the 4th release of the game. Yeah, it had a demo, but that's just a demo. The release of the actual game will probably drive sales a lot more.

I would not be surprised if the success of the controller MHG bundle and the 360 & PS3s success with bundling games with consoles will almost assure MH3 gets a Wii bundle when its released

I mean Capcom is wanting to make MH3 just as monsterous as the PSP versions and Wii needs a shot in the arm hardware wise, its almost win win for both

AranhaHunter said:
A more overpriced demo without an accompanying game bumped the PS3 big time.
Well, there was no Monster Hunter-branded Wii console release, either.

Vinci said:
No. Not at all.
There's been a lot of reply to this, but--more expensive hardware outselling cheaper hardware isn't impressive by itself. The PS3-Wii price difference isn't so different from the PS2-GCN one, and we all know how that went.

Hardware that was always behind by so much leading for so long is impressive, though. Well, it's more that Wii doing so little is impressively bad, and PS3 is the beneficiary by ending up ahead.
bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: 04/20 - 04/26

01. [WII] Monster Hunter G (Capcom) - 143,000 / NEW
Best first week of any version of Monster Hunter 1 yet. :lol
27. [WII] Animal Crossing: City Folk (Nintendo) - 4,300 / 1,125,000
Popping back up for a bit along with Wii hardware?

botticus

cvxfreak said:
I think they did this.
I think he means it should have been even more weighted to the bundle. If the first day sell-through ratio held for the full week, the bundle would have sold through 94%, compared to 50% for the standalone. Odds are it would have tipped toward the standalone after the initial rush though.

donny2112 said:
Nah. Everything else is just way down. It's been selling around that level since dropping out of the Top 30 in early March.
I was more going by some apple/orange mixing: according to the MC numbers you just posted its ranks went #40, to #47, and now on Famitsu it's back at #27. But yeah, the difference between those spots at the current levels is probably just a few hundred.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, there was no Monster Hunter-branded Wii console release, either.

Good point

Vinci said:
Yes, these are exactly the same. :lol
Are you serious?

Question is are you serious? Did you not expect a bigger bump for the Wii?

Anyways, did Killzone 2 sell out of its initial shipment? That would be pretty good methinks.

Vinci

Danish
AranhaHunter said:

I predicted 23,000. So a bit bigger but not by much. I don't see how one can compare MHG with the Tri demo to the release of something like Advent Children on Blu-Ray with the XIII demo. Have you forgotten how rampant FF VII fans are, even nowadays?

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
Popping back up for a bit along with Wii hardware?

As I mentioned earlier, the game is ¥1980 standalone and ¥2980 bundled with WiiSpeak at one of the major Japanese game retailers. That might explain the return to the charts.

botticus said:
I think he means it should have been even more weighted to the bundle. If the first day sell-through ratio held for the full week, the bundle would have sold through 94%, compared to 50% for the standalone. Odds are it would have tipped toward the standalone after the initial rush though.

I think things turned out fine. The game should have longer legs if the Portable fanbase turns up over the next few weeks. It seems as if the Controller Pack won't be so limited after all, and I expect the shipment balance to eventually tip farther in the bundle's favor assuming its legs are long.

I'm gonna pin sales for Monster Hunter G at around 300,000 units by the end of the year, which would put it ahead of the first PS2 version. Eventually, Capcom should release a Best Price version (without the demo at a lower price) that can shift more units beyond that.

Overall, I'm expecting something akin to Animal Crossing City Folk relative to Wild World's performance for MH3.

So here's a spin on the low bump of Wii hardware. That necessarily means the existing Wii userbase had well over a hundred thousand people interested enough in the game and/or demo to buy it week one.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Animal Crossing GCN is a million seller in the same way that Monster Hunter Portable 2 is nearing 5 million. Certainly there's a lot of buyer overlap between editions, even if the base games are very similar.
Ah yes that makes sense.

Holy shit at Monster Hunter Wii! :O

Where's Oboro? If it isn't at those blank numbers then either Marvelous still hasn't restocked the game or it took one hell of a drop.

Also Valkyria is starting to get some legs.

onipex

AranhaHunter said:

I think a lot of MH fans already own a Wii ,so I didn't expect a bigger bump from a port of an old game with a demo. I did expect a bigger drop for the PS3 though.

Vinci

Danish
JoshuaJSlone said:
So here's a spin on the low bump of Wii hardware. That necessarily means the existing Wii userbase had well over a hundred thousand people interested enough in the game and/or demo to buy it week one.

Seems reasonable, I guess.

birdchili

Vinci said:
Seems reasonable, I guess.
doesn't bode well for something like wii sports: resort though. i suppose the m+ is there to differentiate, but how many non-wii owners are going to be compelled by a "sequel" to a hit wii property.

that game needs to be surprising. it's a bit odd that nintendo is sequeling sports after all of their talk of surprises and doing fewer sequels.

Grimmy

Banned
onipex said:
I think a lot of MH fans already own a Wii

Actually, I don't think so. A lot of MH fans are still on the PSP and needs a reason to jump to the Wii. Otherwise they are probably happy playing MHP2G until MHP3 is released.

schuelma

Flying_Phoenix said:
Where's Oboro? If it isn't at those blank numbers then either Marvelous still hasn't restocked the game or it took one hell of a drop.

orrrrrrr it is following the sales pattern of most nicle Wi titles and falling off at a normal pace.

schuelma

birdchili said:
doesn't bode well for something like wii sports: resort though. i suppose the m+ is there to differentiate, but how many non-wii owners are going to be compelled by a "sequel" to a hit wii property..

I don't get how MH G has anything to do with Wii Sports resort, honestly.

onipex

Grimmy said:
Actually, I don't think so. A lot of MH fans are still on the PSP and needs a reason to jump to the Wii. Otherwise they are probably happy playing MHP2G until MHP3 is released.

So you don't think it is possible for someone to own a PSP and Wii? I don't expect all the people who play MHP2G to buy the MH games on Wii, but selling 100k with a little bump points to existing MH fans. Unless you think most of those buyers are new fans.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not trying to claim that half the PSP MH fan base is on the Wii already either.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
schuelma said:
I think he meant in terms of pushing hardware. The userbase for Resort already resides on Wii, so potentially not a big bump in hardware.

schuelma

poppabk said:
I think he meant in terms of pushing hardware. The userbase for Resort already resides on Wii, so potentially not a big bump in hardware.

We really don't know though. We know some of the userbase certainly resides there, but its not like Wii has sold 20 million units. I'm guessing people thought the Wii Fit audience already resided on Wii before that released as well. Maybe Motion+ will rekindle interest in that casual market, or maybe it won't...but I don't think we can just assume a zero increase in hardware because its a similiar game as ones released before. It's not just a straight sequel..its in some ways another new control/input method.

birdchili

schuelma said:
:)

here's my thinking in general...

software sells hardware. new *types* of software seem more likely to sell hardware than sequels, due to the fact that the sequel is selling to a similar audience as the original, who already had a good opportunity to buy the hardware the first time around.

monster hunter seems like the kind of thing that could convince non-wii owners to get a wii as there isn't much (anything) like it already available on the platform.

wsr is less likely to drive hardware due to the fact that it seems to target the people who were likely to buy wii sports (and already have a good reason to invest in the hardware).

if monster hunter doesn't drive hardware at all, perhaps it's indicative of a more general malaise surrounding the hardware/economy/the color white/etc...?

all that said, we still know almost nothing about resort, and monster hunter isn't *really* available on wii yet, this is just general musings...

schuelma

birdchili said:
:)

here's my thinking in general...

software sells hardware. new *types* of software seem more likely to sell hardware than sequels, due to the fact that the sequel is selling to a similar audience as the original, who already had a good opportunity to buy the hardware the first time around.

Again, Motion+ could be a difference here. The runaway Wii hits so far have all offered some sort of new unput. Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart...

Vinci

Danish
I think WSR is important only for M+ penetration; I don't personally see it as a title that will push Wii in any meaningful way.

MH Tri? Different story.

birdchili

schuelma said:
I'm guessing people thought the Wii Fit audience already resided on Wii before that released as well.
definitely not. fit isn't like anything else out there (well... when it was released anyway).

fit is exactly the kind of thing Iwata is talking about when he mentions "surprising" people. wsr *might* be like that, but i don't think we have a good idea that it's going to be hugely compelling to the non wii sports crowd.

schuelma

Vinci said:
I think WSR is important only for M+ penetration; I don't personally see it as a title that will push Wii in any meaningful way.

MH Tri? Different story.

We'll see. I don't think its a sure bet, but I don't think we can discount the possibility. I'd also add that the bar to "push" Wii is pretty low right now. WSR could only "push" sales to a consistent 30K a month and still present a real improvement over the current situation.

Top Bottom