• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/13 - 04/19

schuelma said:
Monster Hunter 2 dos PS2 16/02/06 692,228

This has to be the minimum baseline for MH Tri IMO.

I think it will possibly double that., I'm expecting 1.5+ million

donny2112 said:
Level 5 has enough say in the matter with their Professor Layton and other successful series to rebuff pretty much any offer. Atlus is too small to make a large difference, in my opinion. Nippon Ichi is already pretty much PS-exclusive for anything of consequence.

Was thinking about this and I'm genuinely curious, is L5 really bigger than Atlus? L5 owns Layton and Inazuma IPs, Atlus owns a lot more IPs, L5 is probably bigger than Nippon Ichi though.

schuelma said:
Because its not like the first day sales were amazing- they were a bit over 50% of the initial shipment. That tells me it wasn't drastically undershipped. It might have done a bit better with a bigger shipment, but how much more? 10K? 15k?

50% is exactly where most games should be in their first day sales. And the game had a 90% sell through it's first week (showing that it had some legs) with Marvelous stating that they are struggling to meet demand. I'd consider that very undershipped. And 15K is very relevant for a game that's sales target is 56k.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Flying_Phoenix said:
. I'd consider that very undershipped. And 15K is very relevant for a game that's sales target is 56k.

Well, that also depends on the tracker you use. According to Famitsu, which I believe is where most first day numbers come from, the first week sales was 24K, so an 80% sell through rate. Still good, but not a complete sell out.

And I guess I don't really see how 10K or 15K is going to make that big a difference. Let's say the LTD is only 42K instead of 57K. Yes, the bigger number means it meant internal expectations but its still so low that I would bet that the overseas performance is going to be the determiner of whether it is a successful project.

schuelma said:
Well, that also depends on the tracker you use. According to Famitsu, which I believe is where most first day numbers come from, the first week sales was 24K, so an 80% sell through rate. Still good, but not a complete sell out.
Eh, its Flying_Phoenix, don't let him bullshit you. You're a famitsu lurker so I'm sure you know what the guy icon at the end of each title means in the famitsu top30, and I'm also sure you know that the one Muramasa has isn't 80% or anywhere near what he claims to be, 90%.

ksamedi

Flying_Phoenix said:
50% is exactly where most games should be in their first day sales. And the game had a 90% sell through it's first week (showing that it had some legs) with Marvelous stating that they are struggling to meet demand. I'd consider that very undershipped. And 15K is very relevant for a game that's sales target is 56k.

You keep insisting that the sales target is 56k for Murasama while in reality we have no way of knowing that.

ksamedi said:
You keep insisting that the sales target is 56k for Murasama while in reality we have no way of knowing that.

Marvelous published their target sales long ago, I even directed it toward you in the previous thread when you asked me about this...

ksamedi

Cosmonaut X said:
I'm pretty sure that Marvelous released a forecast listing something like 56k as the domestic sales expectation for Oboro Muramasa.

EDIT:

Yup, here you go - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11574453&postcount=1

hmm. I stand corrected.
Marvelous published their target sales long ago, I even directed it toward you in the previous thread when you asked me about this...

Yeah sorry about that. Didn't realize there were numbers floating around.

ksamedi said:
Yeah sorry about that. Didn't realize there were numbers floating around.

It's fine. Just remember that the Japanese gaming scene has changed since the Playstation days. While 56k would have seemed as poor sales 10 years ago, currently they are pretty respectable for a small publisher.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Eh, its Flying_Phoenix, don't let him bullshit you. You're a famitsu lurker so I'm sure you know what the guy icon at the end of each title means in the famitsu top30, and I'm also sure you know that the one Muramasa has isn't 80% or anywhere near what he claims to be, 90%.

Umm okay not only did I and someone else just posted their sales expectatiosn to prove I'm right but you're also only going by Famitsu tracking, going by Media Create's tracking the game sold pretty much at a 90% shipment.

In which I would believe as Marvelous has stated that they are struggling to keep demand with the game due to their low shipments.

So if anyone's "bullshiting" anybody it's you.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Umm okay not only did I and someone else just posted their sales expectatiosn to prove I'm right but you're also only going by Famitsu tracking, going by Media Create's tracking the game sold pretty much at a 90% shipment.

In which I would believe as Marvelous has stated that they are struggling to keep demand with the game due to their low shipments.

So if anyone's "bullshiting" anybody it's you.
Nope, its you and your futile struggle to spin anything about the title, both here and in the official thread.

If you want to mix data like a tool, do it, it makes it easier for anyone to notice how much bullshit you're putting up.

You can keep answering whatever comes from your great source, but everyone sane would rather use Famitsu than your ass, sorry.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Nope, its you and your futile struggle to spin anything about the title, both here and in the official thread.

So posting official data is "spinning" now? I can understand if I was saying "but this game will have legs to save it from these miserable sales!" or "the west will save it Japan doesn't matter at all" yeah that's spinning. But me saying "the game only has 56k of sales expectations and using the sales rule of thumb for the first week it will most likely meet it" then proceeding to post a link to Marvelous's press release, as well as me stating that the game had a very high sell through (with a link) and restating that Marvelous is trying to keep demand due to high sell throughs (mentioned numerous times in this thread by not just me), isn't me "spinning" anything but rather just stating facts.

And in terms of the official thread I haven't said a word about the sales performance of the game so I have no idea what you are referring to.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
If you want to mix data like a tool, do it, it makes it easier for anyone to notice how much bullshit you're putting up.

You can keep answering whatever comes from your great source, but everyone sane would rather use Famitsu than your ass, sorry.

So using Media Create (the very tracker that this and all of these huge main line of threads are based off of) is me "mixing data", "bullshiting", and "pulling stuff out of my ass"?

Did you even click the link or perhaps even did so much as read what was written where the link was?

And I'm the supposed "tool" here? :lol :lol :lol

donny2112

Spiegel said:
Weekly Famitsu updated Monster Hunter series data:

Numbers include best releases

http://www.psphyper.com/psp/enterbrain-monster-hunter-series-sales-data/

Thanks! :)

JoshuaJSlone said:
I note this is about 70K higher than the combination of MH2 through 2006 and MH2 Best through 2007, so that Best release must've done decently beneath the Top 30 over the last year or so.

It made the PS2 monthly Top 10 for a few months around MHP2G's release.

AranhaHunter said:
Was thinking about this and I'm genuinely curious, is L5 really bigger than Atlus? L5 owns Layton and Inazuma IPs, Atlus owns a lot more IPs, L5 is probably bigger than Nippon Ichi though.

Level 5 is bigger revenue-wise, absolutely. (Profit-wise, probably, too.) Atlus's top-selling game in Japan in Persona 1 on the PS1, and nothing since has topped 300K. Contrast that with all of Level 5's publishing efforts (starting with Layton 1) crossing the 300K barrier and the Layton games usually at or above 750K. They also developed DQVIII/IX (probably a fair chunk of change for those) and White Knight Chronicles.

Edit:
If you're just talking about the # of IPs that would be acquired if the company was purchased, Atlus would probably be higher. I'd counter that Level 5's IPs are probably worth more, though. :p

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Don't forget Atlus run a large amusement machine business (prize catchers, gambling, etc) as well as several subscription based MMO games. Those make up a significant amount of the companies revenue and worth. That also makes them less likely to be taken over than a purely software based company, unless it was by a company with experience in that sector like Sega Sammy.

donny2112 said:
Level 5 is bigger revenue-wise, absolutely. (Profit-wise, probably, too.) Atlus's top-selling game in Japan in Persona 1 on the PS1, and nothing since has topped 300K. Contrast that with all of Level 5's publishing efforts (starting with Layton 1) crossing the 300K barrier and the Layton games usually at or above 750K. They also developed DQVIII/IX (probably a fair chunk of change for those) and White Knight Chronicles.

Edit:
If you're just talking about the # of IPs that would be acquired if the company was purchased, Atlus would probably be higher. I'd counter that Level 5's IPs are probably worth more, though. :p

I was talking about which would be worth more, we know Atlus because it's publicly traded, but we don't know about L5 or Nippon Ichi for that matter.

Vinci

Danish
Johann said:
We also have to take into account how fanatic the fanbase is for a franchise (rolls off the tongue) in Japan. Something like MGS4 was resistant to a major drop in sales in comparison to the previous installment. Final Fantasy is a much bigger franchise than Metal Gear Solid but at the same time it is aimed at an audience that may not be interested enough in the franchise to have or buy a PS3.

Which was the reference I made to how MH3 will do on the Wii. It has a very strong fanbase, similar to (I suspect) MGS. If the game sells poorly, it will be because of the Wii - not the franchise.

markatisu

AranhaHunter said:
Do we have anectodal from people in JP on how MHG is selling?

We have 1st day numbers

Famitsu First Day Sales (04/23)

[WII] Monster Hunter G (Capcom) - SP 65,000 (60%) / SE 27,000 (30%)

There has also been some anecdotal evidence by the large number of users who have logged onto MHG Wii online (I think it was something around 7000 people by Friday)

Flying_Phoenix said:
So using Media Create (the very tracker that this and all of these huge main line of threads are based off of) is me "mixing data"...?
Yes, it is. The first day numbers we get from Sinobi are Famitsu. Using Media-Create for LTD is thus mixing the trackers.

That's not to say that mixing is necessarily a sin, and it's definitely not to condone Kurosaki Ichigo's tone toward you. Just clearing up what he's claiming.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also, it's worth noting that just because the title says "Media Create" does not mean that Media Create is the #1 tracker to Famitsu's #2. The title convention was established at a time where there was no Famitsu leak and Media Create numbers came out reliably earlier.

Then:
Famitsu first day (Sinobi) -> MC A Day Early -> MC Regular -> Famitsu Regular

Now:
Famitsu first day (Sinobi) -> Famitsu leak (2ch, other sources) -> MC -> Famitsu Regular

I mentioned a while ago that it'd make more sense to call the thread "Japanese Weekly Sales", but I think people are at least a little attached to the old naming convention.

Not that there's anything wrong with Media Create, I just wouldn't want people to think that there's something wrong with Famitsu either. Garaph uses Famitsu, for example.

Just leave things the way they are, sales-agers know the difference between the trackers. The people that don't, won't even care, except to post the occasional "LOLZ WII/PS3" posts.

markatisu said:
We have 1st day numbers

There has also been some anecdotal evidence by the large number of users who have logged onto MHG Wii online (I think it was something around 7000 people by Friday)

I actually wanted to know from people who live in Japan and stuff, is it sold out, can you still find copies in the stores, are people trading it in, etc...

Busaiku

donny2112 said:

Edit:
Hasn't Persona 4 cracked more than 300k?
I thought that was touted to be their best selling game in Japan.

Though, I have absolutely no doubt that Level 5 is probably a bigger company in that sense, especially since the first Layton game alone has done 2.6 million worldwide.

Liabe Brave said:
Yes, it is. The first day numbers we get from Sinobi are Famitsu. Using Media-Create for LTD is thus mixing the trackers.

That's not to say that mixing is necessarily a sin, and it's definitely not to condone Kurosaki Ichigo's tone toward you. Just clearing up what he's claiming.

I do realize that it's best to take the average of them all. But in this case I leaned toward Media Create despite it being seen as the odd one out due to Marvelous stating that they are heavily trying to meet demand for the game due to a near sellout rate (as stated by me and others in this thread).

That isn't to say that I don't understand your perspective and I'd agree with you and would have went by averaging them all out, but after that bit of news I doubt that they'd be struggling for a 60 to 70% sell through.

Busaiku said:

Though, I have absolutely no doubt that Level 5 is probably a bigger company in that sense, especially since the first Layton game alone has done 2.6 million worldwide.

I think it's best to state whether this is a "mass appeal" relevance comparison and a "financial set in stone" comparison.

donny2112

Busaiku said:

Persona 4 is their highest selling game since Persona 1 on the PS1, but at the end of 2008, it was at 294K in Famitsu.

Edit:
It did hit 315K at the end of 2008 in Media-Create, though, so maybe that's where you got the > 300K from.

Oboro at best has met Marvelous' expectations, and at worse will miss it by 5-10k. I don't think thats a bomba in any way. Is the game going to get localised at all?

Edit: Damn no confirmed date still :/

jeremy1456

BishopLamont said:
Oboro at best has met Marvelous' expectations, and at worse will miss it by 5-10k. I don't think thats a bomba in any way. Is the game going to get localised at all?

Yes, it's coming out in September.

mujun

inner-G said:
Shane Bettenhausen: combination of man and god, former EGM employee, now works at Ignition.

or Shane Bettenhausen: combination of arrogant man and god of irritating know it alls, former EGM employee, now works at Ignition.

Here's another stab at presenting data on the transition of franchise audiences from last generation to this generation. I'll present my data for all current systems, split across several posts.

A Note on Methodology
For comparison's sake, I've tried to choose the newest iteration of a franchise on the current-gen machines. For the last-gen consoles, I tried to pick the latest iteration that came out before the PS3/Wii hardware. Since the intended purpose was to try capturing what portion of the audience has migrated, last-gen entries which co-exist with this-gen entries wouldn't serve as a clean baseline.

To save space, I've only listed the raw sales for the baseline game. Numbers for the newer games can be roughly reconstructed from percentages, or looked up directly at Garaph. All numbers are Famitsu except a handful of Media-Create figures used when they were more recent. These are marked with an asterisk.

A Note on Interpretation
At the suggestion of others, I've compared like with like (main entries with other main entries, expansions and spinoffs to each other, etc.). This makes sense for series with many entries, but I think it's very misleading with rarer franchises. Gaps of many years allow for changes in audience tastes to swamp any effect caused by the generational transition.

Due to this and many other confounding factors, the numbers I'm presenting shouldn't be a source of detailed conclusions. Big trends are obviously in the data, but the reason why one game got 56% and another got 48% is an invitation to deeper digging, not the end-all to discussion. This is why I've rounded off the percentages: I don't want to give a false sense of precision or surety.

First, a handful of games with entries on all three current consoles.
Code:
PS2	sales(k)	X360	percent	PS3	percent	Wii	percent
PES 2007	 1050	PES 2009	 2%	PES 2009	33%	PES 2008	 10%
DBZ: BT 2	  424	DBZ: BL	 6%	DBZ: BL	39%	DBZ: BT 2	 39%
NfS: MW	   73	NfS: C	13%	NfS: C	48%	NfS: C	 22%

Now, transition numbers to the Xbox 360. First, the games that were released on Xbox last gen.

Code:
Xbox game	     sales(k)	360 game	        percent
Forza 	          7	Forza 2	         478%
R6 3: Black Arrow	 5	R6 Vegas	         359%
Fable	         14	Fable II	         324%
PGR 2	          8	PGR 3	         301%
Hitman: SA	 5	Hitman: BM	195%
Halo 2	         46	Halo 3	         182%
Ninja Gaiden	57	Ninja Gaiden II	 87%
DOA 3	        217	DOA 4	          50%
DOA XBV	        128	DOA Xtreme 2	 47%
Now, those franchises that were on PS2 but have gone to 360 this gen.
Code:
PS2 game	         sales(k)	360 game	          percent
Street Fighter III	    49	Street Fighter IV	   74%
Ace Combat Zero	   202	Ace Combat 6	   47%
Soul Calibur III	   126	Soul Calibur IV	   42%
Star Ocean 3	   533	Star Ocean 4	   36%
Tales of the Abyss	   556	Tales of Vesperia	   32%*
Resident Evil 4	   455	Resident Evil 5	   20%
Devil May Cry 3	   281	Devil May Cry 4	   20%
Burnout Revenge	    43	Burnout Paradise	   18%
FIFA World Cup 2006   45	FIFA World Cup 2006  16%
GTA: San Andreas	   412	GTA IV	            15%
Ridge Racer 5	   612	Ridge Racer 6	   12%
Dynasty Warriors 5	   918	Dynasty Warriors 6	    5%
Virtua Fighter 4	   542	Virtua Fighter 5	    4%
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 3 158	Pro Yakyuu Spirits 3  4%
MO: Maou Sairin	   411	MO: Maou Sairin	    2%

Now, transition numbers to the Wii. Most of the predecessors were on Gamecube; if they were elsewhere, I've added that to the title.

Code:
Predecessor	     sales(k)	Wii game	                 percent
Mario Party 7	       454	Mario Party 8	         289%
MK Double Dash	       826	Mario Kart Wii	         268%
Metroid Prime 2	        40	Metroid Prime 3	         181%
WarioWare: MPG	       401	WarioWare: Smooth Moves	161%*
Animal Crossing	       641	AC: City Folk	         160%
Battalion Wars	        56	Battalion Wars 2	         140%*
PM: Thousand Year Door   398	Super Paper Mario	         127%
Super Mario Sunshine     790	Super Mario Galaxy	         120%
Fatal Frame 3 [PS2]       69	Fatal Frame 4	         114%*
Super Mario Strikers     192	Mario Strikers Charged	113%
FE: Path of Radiance     156	Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn	110%
HM: Song of Happiness     71	HM: Tree of Peace	          99%
G-1 Jockey 4 2006 [PS2]   27	G-1 Jockey	          94%
Furai no Shiren 2 [N64]  284	Furai no Shiren 3	          35%*
Super Monkey Ball 2       35	SMB: Banana Blitz	          14%
PP Baseball 14 [PS2]     359	Power Pro Baseball 15	 12%
Tenchu 3 [PS2]	       250	Tenchu 4	                   12%*

Finally, transition numbers to the PS3.

Code:
PS2 game	         sales(k)	PS3 game	            percent
Street Fighter III	    49	Street Fighter IV	     226%
Ninja Gaiden [Xbox]   57	Ninja Gaiden Sigma	     135%
Devil May Cry 3	   281	Devil May Cry 4	     110%
AC: Last Raven	    80	AC: For Answer	     109%
Resident Evil 4	   455	Resident Evil 5 	      99%
Soul Calibur III	   126	Soul Calibur IV	      95%
Time Crisis 3	    35	Time Crisis 4	      86%
Metal Gear Solid 3	   820	Metal Gear Solid 4	      84%
Yakuza 2	            573	Yakuza 3  	      81%
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 3 157	Pro Yakyuu Spirits 5    72%*
Winning Post 7 M06	    31	Winning Post 7 M08	      69%
Disgaea 2            150	Disgaea 3               67%*
Way of the Samurai 2 215	Way of the Samurai 3    59%*
GTA: San Andreas	   412	GTA IV                  48%
MO: Maou Sairin	   411	Musou Orochi Z 	      47%
Dynasty Warriors 5	   918	Dynasty Warriors 6	      46%*
Genji                126	Genji: DotB	      43%
Armored Core 3	   225	Armored Core 4	      37%
Hot Shots Golf 4	  1083	Hot Shots Golf 5	      36%
NS: Narutimate Accel 197	Naruto: UNS	      35%
Initial D: Special    27	Initial D: Extreme      29%
FIFA World Cup 2006   45	FIFA 09                 28%
Ridge Racer 5	   612	Ridge Racer 7	      24%
Burnout Revenge	    43	Burnout Paradise	      24%
Virtua Fighter 4	   542	Virtua Fighter 5	      18%
Ratchet Deadlocked	   233	R&C Future	      17%
Mercenaries	    51	Mercenaries 2	      14%

Rolf NB

mujun said:
or Shane Bettenhausen: combination of arrogant man and god of irritating know it alls, former EGM employee, now works at Ignition.
zyhyiq.png

donny2112

Thanks, Liabe Brave! :D

Xbox -> 360:
* Games that sold > 50K (interestingly, all Team Ninja efforts) went down, but there's a greater spread of sales on the 360. More than doubling your userbase will do that for you. :)

GCN/PS2 -> Wii:
* Only Nintendo-published games have shown an increase. Too bad there wasn't a GCN Tales spinoff or a Wii Tales proper game (yet) to do a comparison for those.
* The 360 has gotten a ton more "classic" third-party Japanese franchises than the Wii. :lol

PS2 -> PS3:
* Anything really big (i.e. has to sell to mainstream to make it that large) had a big decrease, but the PS3 has kept up certain games quite well.

donny2112

markatisu said:
Should'nt Fatal Frame 4 be over 100%, I thought the last numbers we got showed it past 69k?

The last number we got from Famitsu was 63K back in September. MC showed it at 79K at the end of 2008, though.

markatisu said:
Should'nt Fatal Frame 4 be over 100%, I thought the last numbers we got showed it past 69k?
Corrected with Media-Create number, along with a few other Wii titles with off-the-chart sales (Battalion Wars 2 being the notable one; Shiren and Tenchu got better, but still dwell in the basement, and Smooth Moves was already a success of about the same magnitude).

markatisu

donny2112 said:
The last number we got from Famitsu was 63K back in September. MC showed it at 79K at the end of 2008, though.

I knew I was not crazy, 14% increase is great and probably one of the only instances where a fan base moved to the Wii right?

markatisu said:
I knew I was not crazy, 14% increase is great and probably one of the only instances where a fan base moved to the Wii right?
If you mean "a PS2 fanbase", then yes (though there haven't been many opportunities for that, period). Compared to some of the numbers for Gamecube franchises, a 14% increase isn't very notable, but if you need a positive story for PS2 franchises, this and G-1 Jockey are your only recourse right now. Monster Hunter and Tales will likely be good ones soon, though.

donny2112 said:
Too bad there wasn't a GCN Tales spinoff or a Wii Tales proper game (yet) to do a comparison for those.
In the meantime, if you'll allow the evil of a mothership-to-escort comparison then Symphonia Gamecube to Symphonia: DotNW shows a 68% transition.

Liabe Brave said:
Now, transition numbers to the Wii. Most of the predecessors were on Gamecube; if they were elsewhere, I've added that to the title.

Code:
Predecessor	     sales(k)	Wii game	                 percent
Mario Party 7	       454	Mario Party 8	         289%
MK Double Dash	       826	Mario Kart Wii	         268%
Metroid Prime 2	        40	Metroid Prime 3	         181%
WarioWare: MPG	       401	WarioWare: Smooth Moves	161%*
Animal Crossing	       641	AC: City Folk	         160%
Battalion Wars	        56	Battalion Wars 2	         140%*
PM: Thousand Year Door   398	Super Paper Mario	         127%
Super Mario Sunshine     790	Super Mario Galaxy	         120%
Fatal Frame 3 [PS2]       69	Fatal Frame 4	         114%*
Super Mario Strikers     192	Mario Strikers Charged	113%
FE: Path of Radiance     156	Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn	110%
HM: Song of Happiness     71	HM: Tree of Peace	          99%
G-1 Jockey 4 2006 [PS2]   27	G-1 Jockey	          94%
Furai no Shiren 2 [N64]  284	Furai no Shiren 3	          35%*
Super Monkey Ball 2       35	SMB: Banana Blitz	          14%
PP Baseball 14 [PS2]     359	Power Pro Baseball 15	 12%
Tenchu 3 [PS2]	       250	Tenchu 4	                   12%*
Wow, I take back that "traditional Nintendo core titles not performing much better then it's predecessors" comment. Seems a few games has performed better then it's predecessors by a big margin. About AC, I thought it was previously a million seller already, quite a surprise. It'll be interesting to see how well Kirby sells, probably a million seller too, judging by the DS games/remake's sales.

Edit: Oh you missed Super Smash Brothers.

donny2112

BishopLamont said:
About AC, I thought it was previously a million seller already,

If you combine Animal Crossing and Animal Crossing e+, then the total is > 1 million. I'm fine with keeping them separate, though. :)

Top Bottom