• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04/13 - 04/19

iidesuyo

BishopLamont said:
The DS is unlike any previous handheld though, it's recieved way more support from first party and third parties. Sure it can't touch the PS2, but it's lying in bed right next to it.

I grew up with the Game Boy (the b/w one), it had huge support. They even ported NBA Jam, Street Fighter, Earthworm Jim; there was an uncountable number of games. It was the DS of its time.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Go DeathSmiles! I'm very happy to see it made it to 20k. I hope Cave is happy enough to start doing more ports them-selves.

Eteric Rice

iidesuyo said:
I don't think so. I agree to Totobeni, there is a lot of stuff like SingStar or GT4 or a proper PES etc. that is simply not makeable on the DS.

As said before, home consoles vs. handhelds, they are two different worlds. And for some reasons this has never been questioned before the DS.

Because the DS and PSP mark the first steps up from being machines where small spin-offs and ports of old SNES games go, to systems that get their own games, big franchises, etc.

The next step will probably bring them up to console standards (aside from the graphical advantage of consoles, of course).

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:
if you look at the million sellers of the ps2 in japan

you will see several dynasty warriors games from koei, some winning eleven titles from konami, onimusha 1 and 2, granturismo and FF and DQ...

does not seem to be recognized as a great library for babies and women if you ask me..

for hardcores sure..
I guess it depends on how you mean with "recognized". It is true that much of the "hardcore games" are the games that probably sold the most on the PS2, so in this way the PS2 might not be recognized for being a seller where "babies" and "women" games sold very well, i agree. But the PS2 still has a great gaming library even if not every game sold alot of copies :)

birdchili

donny2112 said:
No, he missed and hit his thumb. Nintendo did the same kind of games in the first few years as they did during the GameCube era and added expanded audience games on top of that. Nintendo didn't skip the first-day buyers. Third-parties did when it came to the Wii.
so we should expect wii to be selling to as many "early adopters" as the gamecube did?

Sadist

gtj1092 said:
So are you saying that being a Sony era gamer is bad? I know its hard for Nfan to imagine but not everyone cares about nintendo games. And you speak as if though there isn't a huge contingent of "my first console was a nes and anything not nintendo is the devil" gamers out there.
Nope, he is saying that some people really really dislike Nintendo to a point where it gets ridiciulous. And I agree with him on that. It's not the "Sony era-gamers", but in general some people go overboard with it. I mean, it's just a producer of videogaming systems and videogames. And man... I've seen some angry and irrational rants about Nintendo which will make your head shake all day long. If you don't care for the company and their games, thats fine. But some people really take it to seriously.

Ontopic:
Those MH sales are good. Wonder what Tri will do...

donny2112

iidesuyo said:
Also the low hardware power is just inviting to produce cheap games.

Yeah, the low hardware power that's greater than all three consoles last-gen, and boy were all 100% of those games last gen cheap throwaway titles.

iidesuyo said:
On the long run Wii won't become a next Famicom/PS2 with only the obligatory Nintendo sequels.

Abso-friggin-lutely. Couldn't agree more. So, who's in charge of bringing non-Nintendo sequels?

d+pad said:
but I rarely if ever see ads for their so-called core games.

Hey, you're right! I know last gen, I was seeing "Clean is better than dirty. Dirty is meaner than clean" commercials for years after Sunshine came out. smh

Spiegel said:
Of course not! Psp is the next ps2

slap_forehead.jpg

Vinci said:
This E3, they could bring out Mario Universe, Zelda Endgame, a new Donkey Kong, and people would still create something to complain about.

"Wii Fit Plus?!? Nintendo has abandoned the hardcore gamer again!"

birdchili said:
so we should expect wii to be selling to as many "early adopters" as the gamecube did?

It did, in the U.S. In Japan, the main GameCube crowd had left the system a couple of years before the Wii's release. What Nintendo heavily failed to do was to do just about anything to actively target the core PS2 players that they so heavily would need to rack up similar numbers in Japan. The third-parties did not step in to fill that gap, and it's not like Nintendo went out of their way to encourage them to fill in that gap, even though. I've said it before, but Nintendo needed the "easy" Wii Sports 2 back in Fall 2007 to keep up momentum in Japan. I don't care that the U.S. and Europe were doing gangbusters. Nintendo was starting to slip heavily toward the end of 2007 in Japan, and needed a big and "easy" game like that. smh

test_account

XP-39C²
Sadist said:
Nope, he is saying that some people really really dislike Nintendo to a point where it gets ridiciulous. And I agree with him on that. It's not the "Sony era-gamers", but in general some people go overboard with it. I mean, it's just a producer of videogaming systems and videogames. And man... I've seen some angry and irrational rants about Nintendo which will make your head shake all day long. If you don't care for the company and their games, thats fine. But some people really take it to seriously.
I know that you answered to the Nintendo situation, but i would like to add that it seems to be the case with Sony and Microsoft as well, unfortunately :( There seems to be too much hate in the gaming community this generation. Maybe it was like this in the earlier console generations as well though, but then i wasnt really that active on internet forums, so i dont know how things were in the earlier console generations.

As you say, it is fine if you dont care for a company and their game, i agree, and i wish that people kept most the negative things they think about the companies for themself. Now that this generation of console is starting to get relatively old, i hope that more and more of the negative stuff will go away, and that more of positive stuff will come instead :)

What i just wrote about being negative and so isnt directed to anyone specific persons, i was talking in general just to underline that.

:)

markatisu

donny2112 said:
Hey, you're right! I know last gen, I was seeing "Clean is better than dirty. Dirty is meaner than clean" commercials for years after Sunshine came out. smh

I completely forgot how god awful those commercials for Sunshine were :lol

I remember seeing it and thinking WTF Nintendo

kswiston

So Final Fantasy XIII demo week 1 sold about twice as much as MH3 demo week 1. I wonder how sales of the full games will compare to each other. Unless MH3 under performs, I doubt it will remain a 2-1 ratio. PS3's small user base is going to limit FFXIII sales in Japan to some extent. The game will need close to a 50% attach rate (assuming ~4 million PS3's sold by the end of the year) to match the numbers of the PS2 Final Fantasy games.

Sadist said:

It goes both ways. I'm sure we've all seen rants by people that blame sony for taking the crown from Nintendo and changing the face of gaming, curbing the golden age of 2d gaming with their anti-2D policy on PS1, for the death of Sega and other ridiculous shit.

Nintendo are hardly alone, everyone gets hate.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
So MHP2G got almost the same bump from this demo as Wii hw :)

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hardware that was always behind by so much leading for so long is impressive, though. Well, it's more that Wii doing so little is impressively bad, and PS3 is the beneficiary by ending up ahead.
While that's true, PS3 'is' tracking a bit higher then it did any other year so far too, even if not by much.
Speaking of which, has any other leading system experience a sales curve where every year after launch was lower then the one before?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
kswiston said:
So Final Fantasy XIII demo week 1 sold about twice as much as MH3 demo week 1..

Also, the FF13 demo had the advantage of 1- being the first time being playable for anyone and 2- not having a release date within the next few months.

schuelma said:
Also, the FF13 demo had the advantage of 1- being the first time being playable for anyone and 2- not having a release date within the next few months.

I might be completely wrong, but isnt MH a PSP title, and perhaps people dont give a shit about the Wii and just waiting for a PSP port?

Rolf NB

Fafalada said:
So MHP2G got almost the same bump from this demo as Wii hw :)

While that's true, PS3 'is' tracking a bit higher then it did any other year so far too, even if not by much.
Speaking of which, has any other leading system experience a sales curve where every year after launch was lower then the one before?
Even if there was, there haven't been enough console generations to draw any statistically relevant conclusions.

schuelma

pseudocaesar said:
I might be completely wrong, but isnt MH a PSP title, and perhaps people dont give a shit about the Wii and just waiting for a PSP port?

We'll find out in a few months, but I'd say the first week sales of MH G are very encouraging.

schuelma said:
We'll find out in a few months, but I'd say the first week sales of MH G are very encouraging.
Ok but would it be that Wii only owners are the ones purchasing it, and not PSP only, Wii/PSP owners? Specifically PSP only owners as there was an insignificant hardware bump.

markatisu

pseudocaesar said:
Ok but would it be that Wii only owners are the ones purchasing it, and not PSP only, Wii/PSP owners? Specifically PSP only owners as there was an insignificant hardware bump.

I highly doubt that a majority of the PSP MH users are going to sit back and just wait out till a MHP3 is announced. If the next MH launches on Wii without Capcom saying a portable version will follow the fan base to some extent will move.

As was pointed out MH is a big franchise now, it gained its popularity on the PSP but its not the PSP that sells the art books, the manga and everything else associated with the franchise.

The question will be have they already bought Wii's for other things and therefore you get big game sales but little to move hardware (as was the case with Animal Crossing)

Kogepan

schuelma said:

FF13 demo has the disadvantage of being bundled with a movie that has been released several times already. At least MH2g is a decent game.

schuelma

Kogepan said:
FF13 demo has the disadvantage of being bundled with a movie that has been released several times already. At least MH2g is a decent game.

MH G is virtually an identical port of a game released 2-3 years ag and doesn't even support the primary Wii controller.

donny2112

schuelma said:
MH G is virtually an identical port of a game released 2-3 years ag and doesn't even support the primary Wii controller.

I think the biggest reason to buy this game would be the special edition controller and MH3 demo. The controller more than the MH3 demo, I'd think.

markatisu

donny2112 said:
I think the biggest reason to buy this game would be the special edition controller and MH3 demo. The controller more than the MH3 demo, I'd think.

Exactly MHG will not even boot up without a classic controller plugged in

velvet_nitemare said:
It goes both ways. I'm sure we've all seen rants by people that blame sony for taking the crown from Nintendo and changing the face of gaming, curbing the golden age of 2d gaming with their anti-2D policy on PS1, for the death of Sega and other ridiculous shit.

Nintendo are hardly alone, everyone gets hate.

Dammit! I thought you were me! Change your avatar!

donny2112

I can post the new thread, but if I do, I won't be updating the OP with the 31-50 and the hardware until late Friday night. Sound okay?

donny2112 said:
I can post the new thread, but if I do, I won't be updating the OP with the 31-50 and the hardware until late Friday night. Sound okay?
Rather have the new thread in place than not, and if OP updates have to wait a little while, it won't hurt anybody.

donny2112 said:

NO.

jk, thanks for taking over for PantherLotus

d[-_-]b

Banned
Wow it's been awhile since a MC thread has dragged this far usually it'd be done by pg 3 to 5 usually... crazy times, guess with the Wii so slow it's time for everyone to come on back.

d[-_-]b said:
Wow it's been awhile since a MC thread has dragged this far usually it'd be done by pg 3 to 5 usually... crazy times, guess with the Wii so slow it's time for everyone to come on back.

No kidding.

Now all the same Sony cockroaches who've been hiding from these threads and have long-since abandoned the NPD topics altogether can come out and celebrate over these measily numbers from the lowly third place market. :lol

iidesuyo said:
I grew up with the Game Boy (the b/w one), it had huge support. They even ported NBA Jam, Street Fighter, Earthworm Jim; there was an uncountable number of games. It was the DS of its time.
It's still nothing compared to what the DS is getting, hell even the PSP has better support.

Vinci said:
The reason they don't get the credit they deserve in that regard has more to do with the fact that they're aggressively targeting 'casuals' and not kissing gamers' asses every ten seconds. And also because it allows yet another reason to dismiss them - something we've grown over the last several generations, be it 'kiddy,' 'casual,' 'tyrannical,' whatever.

There is this deep-seeded dislike for Nintendo, particularly in the younger gaming audience (Sony era gamers), that is just continually looking for reasons to reject anything they offer. This E3, they could bring out Mario Universe, Zelda Endgame, a new Donkey Kong, and people would still create something to bitch about.

Yeah. Until recently, no Sony fanboy has had to put up with stupid insults for the PS like "kiddy,' 'casual,' 'tyrannical" like you pointed out. The complaints about the PS1 days are more about how that shift resulted in a lukewarm at best videogame 'scene' today. Too many bad habits were established when Sony "saved the industry." If you want to brag about the pros then don't expect people to ignore the cons. It's a little too soon to demand sympathy if you're a sony fanboy/bot/thing...which I have seen enough of. They've had a lot of fun at Nintendo fanboys expense. As they used to say "cry moar." Yes. Cry moar. Now you know how it feels to see your console of choice fail due to stupidity.

d+pad said:
I see what you're saying, but isn't it partially Nintendo's fault that so few people have noticed and/or given them credit for their "core" efforts on the Wii?
I don't think they much care how much credit GAFfers give them, as long as these core games continue selling at SNES/N64 levels or better rather than GameCube ones. Somebody is giving them credit (and money) for it.
iidesuyo said:
The Game Boy sold better than the SNES, still the latter was king in the early 90's.
Game Boy sold more, but that seems mostly to be the case thanks to launching earlier and going years longer before getting a successor. These old shipment numbers don't contain much detail since I don't have official Nintendo shipment data until 1996, but their rates seem pretty similar over the long run.
SNES_WW

If Game Boy had become the premiere system for any of those franchises, that'd be one thing. DS didn't make its name on inferior conversions of big-name multi-platform console games.
schuelma said:
PS2 MHG was released January 2005.

jesusraz

donny2112 said:
Any update is better than this week's complete lack of 31-50 update and no hardware added to the OP despite someone else posting it elsewhere in this thread...Thanks :)

Top Bottom