• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 08/04 - 08/10

tanod

when is my burrito
Jonnyram said:
Xbox 360 24,962
Not with a wimper, but with a bang.

012.gif
That's awesome. :lol I love gifs.

noonche

What's the upcoming release list look like? The DS appears to have gone up with all of the games released for it lately and I'm wondering if the games being released in the coming weeks will be able to keep it there.

jimbo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
DS Lite 60,434
PSP 58,501
Wii 38,506
Xbox 360 24,962
PS3 9,673
PS2 8,503

012.gif

Gooooooooo 360!

Man if only the 360 wasn't sold out, it may have beaten the Wii.

So as of right now for the month of August:

360 = 30,321
PS3 = 19,181

At least the PS3 managed to stop its downward trend, if only by a 100 unit shift the opposite way. Next week will be the real story though.

Brofist

The Faceless Master said:
whoa, DS above PSP?

i guess PSP is no MHP

Well most of the people that bought PSU had already bought a PSP for MHP, no?

Incredible 360 sales! All week I've seen stores sold out of 360s (except for Elites still easy to find).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hmm it was said that 360 sales could have been around 70,000 this week. I think next week it might be around 9,000 to 15,000.

Brofist

Ether_Snake said:
Hmm it was said that 360 sales could have been around 70,000 this week. I think next week it might be around 9,000 to 15,000.

70,000? who thought that? :lol

It took MGS4 to bump the PS3 to that level, wasn't going to happen.

What an excellent week. The best console and handheld for RPGs are performing admirably. Hopefully the 360 can turn things around noticeably if not permanently; it's got a terrific upcoming release list. I'm glad the DS is showing no signs of slowing down; the sales, both hardware and software, should put a sock in the mouths of those mouthbreathers that have been claiming that only current units sold matter.

Orlics

Isn't 25k like... 5% of the 360's LTD, in one week? :lol

PS3 continues to outsell 360 in US while 360 sells at least double of PS3 in Japan. human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Blablurn

Orlics said:

PS3 continues to outsell 360 in US while 360 sells at least double of PS3 in Japan. human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

yeah, pretty crazy week :lol

Johann

They ran out of the traditional colors. Now they have to make up colors like Ignatius de Loyola polka dot or Liberace pink.

Tron 2.0

Well, I was embarrassingly wrong. Seriously, seriously wrong.

I thought that the 360 wouldn't outsell the PS3 this week.
Now let us never speak of it again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I love it whenever a big 360 game does semi-well in Japan and all of the hardware gets sold out. You get all of these people on 2ch posting stories about how their local store was sold out of the Xbox 360 and that this must signal the era of the 360! Then sales data gets posted and while sales are always much better than normal, they are generally nothing special. I have seen this happen like 4 or 5 times since the Xbox 360's release.

I want the system to do well in Japan just as much as any Xbox 360 owner, but the only reason that the system is selling out in stores across the country is because most stores keep a very low stock of them in the first place.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Orlics said:

Well if you look at the entire month the PS3 will probably have outsold the 360 or come very close.

donny2112

It's worth pointing out that the code rankings in the original post look like this on my screen.

formatted_MC.jpg

I think it's something to do with using Internet Explorer (how dare I be using the pre-installed browser that 90% of the rest of the internet use!). To get the spacing to work for me on the NPD point rankings, I use spaces instead of tabs. This happens a lot when people post coded data, but the Media-Create thread OP is not just any old post. It gets referenced by Next-Gen.biz (Edge-whatever) and many other places online. Just saying.

1. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (SEGA) - 148,230 / 490,000
2. [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shin Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Ken (New Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Light) (Nintendo) - 144,905 / NEW
3. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 130,412 / 343,000
4. [360] Tales of Vesperia (Namco Bandai Games) - 108,328 / NEW
5. [NDS] Dragon Quest V (Square Enix) - 72,598 / 1,019,000
6. [NDS] Sangokushi Taisen Ten (SEGA) - 32,734 / NEW
7. [NDS] Summon Night 2 (Namco Bandai Games) - 29,715 / NEW
8. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 27,414 / 2,470,000
9. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 22,739 / 1,656,000
10. [PS3] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games) - 22,575 / 97,000

11. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 (Konami)
12. [NDS] Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 - Banjou no Geass Gekijou (Namco Bandai Games)
13. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (Capcom)
14. [NDS] Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (Nintendo)
15. [WII] Wario Land: Shake It! (Nintendo)
16. [PS2] Soukoku no Kusabi: Hiiro no Kakera 3 (Scarlet Fragments 3) (Idea Factory )
17. [PSP] Gundam Battle Universe (Namco Bandai Games)
18. [NDS] Monster Farm DS 2: Yomigaeru! Master Breeder Densetsu (Tecmo)
19. [NDS] Beautiful Letter Training DS (Nintendo)
20. [WII] Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse (Nintendo)
21. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo)
22. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2 (Namco Bandai Games)
23. [PS2] Persona 4 (Atlus Co. )
24. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3 (Konami)
25. [360] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games)
26. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble Hyper - Moeyo Mirai (Takara Tomy)
27. [NDS] Densetsu no Stafi: Taiketsu! Dire Kaizokudan (Nintendo)
28. [WII] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 (Konami)
29. [PS3] SIREN: New Translation (SCEI)
30. [WII] Super Mario Stadium: Family Baseball (Nintendo)

31. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
32. [NDS] Mame Goma 2: Uchi no Ko ga Ichiban! (My Kid is Number One!) (TDK Core)
33. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
34. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot (Konami)
35. [NDS] Wantame Variety Channel (Capcom)
36. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
37. [NDS] Ron-Q! Highland in DS - Poo Poo Seijin Arawareru! Deketsu Dai Service! Onara no Saiten SP (Fart Festival SP) (3 O'Clock)
38. [WII] Family Trainer (Namco Bandai Games)
39. [NDS] Maru Oukoku no Ningyou Hime: Tenshi ga Kanaderu Ai no Uta (Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure) (Nippon Ichi Software)
40. [NDS] Kirarin * Revolution: Minna de Odorou Furi Furi Debut! (Konami)
41. [NDS] Derby Stallion DS (Enterbrain)
42. [NDS] Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (Atlus Co. )
43. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.)
44. [PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki the 3rd (Falcom)
45. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)
46. [NDS] Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (We are Fossil Diggers) (Nintendo)
47. [WII] Imabikisou: Kaimei Hen (SEGA)
48. [NDS] Tottadoo! Yoiko's Deserted Island Life (Namco Bandai Games)
49. [NDS] Major DS: Dream Baseball (Takara Tomy)
50. [WII] Survival Kids Wii (Lost in Blue) (Konami)

NDS - 25
WII - 12
PSP - 5
PS2 - 3
PS3 - 3
360 - 2

donny2112

Media-Create blurb:

Total sales of the Top 100 titles reached 1,193,515; 86.96% of last week and 116.24% of the weekly average. Phantasy Star Portable sold 148K and remains in first place. Also, Dragon Quest V reached total sales of 1 million. It achieved this in 4 weeks compared to Dragon Quest IV, released November 2007, which reached it in 6 weeks.

There were 16 new titles totalling 33.04% of the sales. The new Fire Emblem sold 145K. The first installment was released in April 1990 on the Famicom, and this remake showed a smooth beginning with the fans. Tales of Vesperia also sold 108K. 360's previous best first week of software was Blue Dragon with 80K. The Premium package, including the console, increased hardware sales from 5K to 25K, a five-fold increase. It is clearly a system seller.

jimbo

Banned
Linkup said:
I don't get it. What happens next week with PS3?

Not with the PS3. But with the 360. The PS3's downward trend it's been on looks to be settling around 9,500 units. It's up to the 360 now to see where it will settle as it has been on a recent upwards trend. Of ocurse they need to stock some first, so next week it might sell 0.

I guess until we find out how quickly the shortage situation gets sorted out, it's hard to even speculate on next week's sales.

jimbo

Banned
Zefah said:
I love it whenever a big 360 game does semi-well in Japan and all of the hardware gets sold out. You get all of these people on 2ch posting stories about how their local store was sold out of the Xbox 360 and that this must signal the era of the 360! Then sales data gets posted and while sales are always much better than normal, they are generally nothing special. I have seen this happen like 4 or 5 times since the Xbox 360's release.

I want the system to do well in Japan just as much as any Xbox 360 owner, but the only reason that the system is selling out in stores across the country is because most stores keep a very low stock of them in the first place.

Actually this is really the 2nd time that its happened on this magnitude, first being when BD launched. Even when it crossed the PS3 last year with AC6, it only did 17k units and that was in Nov.

DCharlie

Banned
You get all of these people on 2ch posting stories about how their local store was sold out of the Xbox 360 and that this must signal the era of the 360!

it's really crazy though how MS have won over large chunks of the 2ch crowd.

Not sure how that happened

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Oh jesus shit, i had no idea people were still using explorer, nor did i realize that the coding function didn't work across both browsers the same way. I'll fix it shortly. For the record, the sites around the net aren't copying the formatting, just the data. Just saying. ;)

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
I'm going to need non-250 character titles... :(

108, but yeah, I seem to keep finding ways to make longer titles. I just had to add the translation for that Poo-Poo Fart Festival game, though. :lol

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny2112 said:
108, but yeah, I seem to keep finding ways to make longer titles. I just had to add the translation for that Poo-Poo Fart Festival game, though. :lol

:lol i noticed. Once we figure out what the max characters are for a spaced/coded line, we'll have to decide which is most important. I liked Cheese's strategy of the closest (and shortest) 100% english translation.

jimbo

Banned
Thanks Panther.

It's really weird to look at that chart in a MC thread and it not being fake or be used in some kind of joke.

But clearly the real story in this thread is that ToV managed to give the 360 the right to appear on that YoY chart. That is by far its biggest accomplishment.

jimbo said:
Just because of the type of game that it was. I just figured animal raising sims would go a lot better there than western fps with aliens would.
I'm not living in Japan but I could see the Pinatas being downright ugly and not appealing at all to Japanese tastes.

They sure don't appeal to me at all, this might also be to the fact that I had no exposure to Pinatas save for some movies that had them in. I didn't even see one when I was living in the US.

The Faceless Master said:
whoa, DS above PSP?

i guess PSP is no MHP
It's tapping into the already existing MH fanbase I'd say.

Ether_Snake said:
Who would say something like that?

donny2112 said:
47. [WII] Imabikisou: Kaimei Hen (SEGA)
50. [WII] Survival Kids Wii (Lost in Blue) (Konami)2
Thanks, I completely forgot that those two games were already out. Imabikisou seems to have missed the PS3 version's fw sales by a good bit. Was this a port or a new entry?

Glad to see that Survival Kids bombed - I'm not a huge graphics whore but that title looks like a DC game and just screams low effort.

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
Once we figure out what the max characters are for a spaced/coded line, we'll have to decide which is most important. I liked Cheese's strategy of the closest (and shortest) 100% english translation.

I wrote a macro that just truncates the titles (after a bit of manual manipulation to handle where I put English titles in parentheses), so here's a first pass at it.

Code:
1. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable                              (SEGA)                   - 148,230 / 490,000
2. [NDS] Fire Emblem: New Shadow Dragons and the Blade of Li (Nintendo)               - 144,905 / NEW
3. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold                                 (Nintendo)               - 130,412 / 343,000
4. [360] Tales of Vesperia                                   (Namco Bandai Games)     - 108,328 / NEW
5. [NDS] Dragon Quest V                                      (Square Enix)            -  72,598 / 1,019,000
6. [NDS] Sangokushi Taisen Ten                               (SEGA)                   -  32,734 / NEW
7. [NDS] Summon Night 2                                      (Namco Bandai Games)     -  29,715 / NEW
8. [WII] Wii Fit                                             (Nintendo)               -  27,414 / 2,470,000
9. [WII] Mario Kart Wii                                      (Nintendo)               -  22,739 / 1,656,000
10. [PS3] Soul Calibur IV                                    (Namco Bandai Games)     -  22,575 / 97,000

11. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15                     (Konami)
12. [NDS] Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 - Banjou no Gea (Namco Bandai Games)
13. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G                        (Capcom)
14. [NDS] Daigasso! Band Brothers DX                         (Nintendo)
15. [WII] Wario Land: Shake It!                              (Nintendo)
16. [PS2] Soukoku no Kusabi: Scarlet Fragments 3             (Idea Factory )
17. [PSP] Gundam Battle Universe                             (Namco Bandai Games)
18. [NDS] Monster Farm DS 2: Yomigaeru! Master Breeder Dense (Tecmo)
19. [NDS] Beautiful Letter Training DS                       (Nintendo)
20. [WII] Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse             (Nintendo)
21. [WII] Wii Sports                                         (Nintendo)
22. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2                                (Namco Bandai Games)
23. [PS2] Persona 4                                          (Atlus Co. )
24. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3             (Konami)
25. [360] Soul Calibur IV                                    (Namco Bandai Games)
26. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble Hyper - Mo (Takara Tomy)
27. [NDS] Densetsu no Stafi: Taiketsu! Dire Kaizokudan       (Nintendo)
28. [WII] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15                     (Konami)
29. [PS3] SIREN: New Translation                             (SCEI)
30. [WII] Super Mario Stadium: Family Baseball               (Nintendo)

31. [NDS] Mario Kart DS                                      (Nintendo)
32. [NDS] Mame Goma 2: My Kid is Number One!                 (TDK Core)
33. [WII] Wii Play                                           (Nintendo)
34. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot            (Konami)
35. [NDS] Wantame Variety Channel                            (Capcom)
36. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros.                              (Nintendo)
37. [NDS] Ron-Q! Highland in DS - Poo Poo Fart Festival SP   (3 O'Clock)
38. [WII] Family Trainer                                     (Namco Bandai Games)
39. [NDS] Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure                      (Nippon Ichi Software)
40. [NDS] Kirarin * Revolution: Minna de Odorou Furi Furi De (Konami)
41. [NDS] Derby Stallion DS                                  (Enterbrain)
42. [NDS] Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2                   (Atlus Co. )
43. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond                                    (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.)
44. [PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki the 3rd             (Falcom)
45. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl                            (Nintendo)
46. [NDS] We are Fossil Diggers                              (Nintendo)
47. [WII] Imabikisou: Kaimei Hen                             (SEGA)
48. [NDS] Tottadoo! Yoiko's Deserted Island Life             (Namco Bandai Games)
49. [NDS] Major DS: Dream Baseball                           (Takara Tomy)
50. [WII] Lost in Blue Wii                                   (Konami)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny2112 said:
I wrote a macro that just truncates the titles (after a bit of manual manipulation to handle where I put English titles in parentheses), so here's a first pass at it.

Cool stuff. It looks like we'll need to adjust the macro to truncate after 30-35 characters to get the totals/LTDs to show up without scrolling.

donny2112

Code:
1. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable               (SEGA)                   - 148,230 / 490,000
2. [NDS] Fire Emblem: New Shadow Dragons and  (Nintendo)               - 144,905 / NEW
3. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold                  (Nintendo)               - 130,412 / 343,000
4. [360] Tales of Vesperia                    (Namco Bandai Games)     - 108,328 / NEW
5. [NDS] Dragon Quest V                       (Square Enix)            -  72,598 / 1,019,000
6. [NDS] Sangokushi Taisen Ten                (SEGA)                   -  32,734 / NEW
7. [NDS] Summon Night 2                       (Namco Bandai Games)     -  29,715 / NEW
8. [WII] Wii Fit                              (Nintendo)               -  27,414 / 2,470,000
9. [WII] Mario Kart Wii                       (Nintendo)               -  22,739 / 1,656,000
10. [PS3] Soul Calibur IV                     (Namco Bandai Games)     -  22,575 / 97,000

11. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15      (Konami)
12. [NDS] Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2  (Namco Bandai Games)
13. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G         (Capcom)
14. [NDS] Daigasso! Band Brothers DX          (Nintendo)
15. [WII] Wario Land: Shake It!               (Nintendo)
16. [PS2] Soukoku no Kusabi: Scarlet Fragment (Idea Factory )
17. [PSP] Gundam Battle Universe              (Namco Bandai Games)
18. [NDS] Monster Farm DS 2: Yomigaeru! Maste (Tecmo)
19. [NDS] Beautiful Letter Training DS        (Nintendo)
20. [WII] Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Ecli (Nintendo)
21. [WII] Wii Sports                          (Nintendo)
22. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master 2                 (Namco Bandai Games)
23. [PS2] Persona 4                           (Atlus Co. )
24. [PSP] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portabl (Konami)
25. [360] Soul Calibur IV                     (Namco Bandai Games)
26. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Ru (Takara Tomy)
27. [NDS] Densetsu no Stafi: Taiketsu! Dire K (Nintendo)
28. [WII] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15      (Konami)
29. [PS3] SIREN: New Translation              (SCEI)
30. [WII] Super Mario Stadium: Family Basebal (Nintendo)

31. [NDS] Mario Kart DS                       (Nintendo)
32. [NDS] Mame Goma 2: My Kid is Number One!  (TDK Core)
33. [WII] Wii Play                            (Nintendo)
34. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Pat (Konami)
35. [NDS] Wantame Variety Channel             (Capcom)
36. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros.               (Nintendo)
37. [NDS] Ron-Q! Highland in DS - Poo Poo Far (3 O'Clock)
38. [WII] Family Trainer                      (Namco Bandai Games)
39. [NDS] Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure       (Nippon Ichi Software)
40. [NDS] Kirarin * Revolution: Minna de Odor (Konami)
41. [NDS] Derby Stallion DS                   (Enterbrain)
42. [NDS] Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2    (Atlus Co. )
43. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond                     (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.)
44. [PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki the  (Falcom)
45. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl             (Nintendo)
46. [NDS] We are Fossil Diggers               (Nintendo)
47. [WII] Imabikisou: Kaimei Hen              (SEGA)
48. [NDS] Tottadoo! Yoiko's Deserted Island L (Namco Bandai Games)
49. [NDS] Major DS: Dream Baseball            (Takara Tomy)
50. [WII] Lost in Blue Wii                    (Konami)

Truncating has its own issues with the fact that we're losing part of the title, but at least it's lined up. Personally, I don't mind the non-lined up version that lists everything. :p

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jimbo said:
Thanks Panther.

But clearly the real story in this thread is that ToV managed to give the 360 the right to appear on that YoY chart. That is by far its biggest accomplishment.

You noticed!! :)

I was afraid this would be ignored. It's a big step.

jrricky

Banned
Jonnyram said:
DS Lite 60,434
PSP 58,501

Wii 38,506
Xbox 360 24,962
PS3 9,673

PS2 8,503

012.gif
First bold group - Wow, all is well in the Universe again.

EDIT:Second bold group - Holy shit at the 360 compared to the PS3......

Top Bottom