• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 09/15 - 09/21

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I will correct the numbers in the OP, but I am doing a week-by-week audit on every number I have. Thanks a ton donny for your attention.

(and HOLY FUCKING SHIT at DSL.5!)

Spiegel

Jokeropia said:
DS won last holiday despite PSP-2000, though.

This year the PSP-3000 launches closer to Christmas season (October) and has the Gundam vs Gundam (November) and Dissidia (December) bundles.

Before the DS redesign I would have said that PSP would win the year but now i think it's more how many systems can Nintendo ship before the end of the year.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nintendo DS coming out on top in YTD sales depends on when they're shipping the new model and with what software.

Defuser

Spiegel said:
This year the PSP-3000 launches closer to Christmas season (October) and has the Gundam vs Gundam (November) and Dissidia (December) bundles.

Before the DS redesign I would have said that PSP would win the year but now i think it's more how many systems can Nintendo ship before the end of the year.
I think fiscal year is more important,if DQ9 hits before the fiscal year ends then it's gg for PSP. :lol

Can GvsG really be expected to do a lot for the PSP? I'm going to get a copy unless something turns up, but I don't really expect a lot out of it.

Jokeropia

Spiegel said:
PSP-2000 was released September 20 which isn't that far from October, and it also had FFVIICC which I believe was a bigger release than either of the two this year. I also don't think the 3000 series hardware upgrade will have an as big impact as the 2000 series upgrade overall.

It will probably be close, unless the new DS model is released this year as well.

Cygnus X-1

jj984jj said:
Nintendo DS coming out on top in YTD sales depends on when they're shipping the new model and with what software.

Is software really that important considering DS's popularity and installed base? I don't think so. Put some decent marketing behind so that everyone is aware of the redesign and it will sell how much Nintendo can produce and ship to the market.

Unless Next DS launches on 12/25 I don't think PSP can do much for the yearly totals (and even in that case, PSP better still have a 500k lead or else...).

Not trying to downplay PSP but you know, PSP2000 only held 2 weeks above 100k in its launch. DS Lite held over a year, then one week below, then 6 more months over it.

Also, PSP3000 isn't such a big deal, its launching on a much better scenario than PSP2000 sure. Taking out some quick upgrading from fans, I doubt its going to do much more than what PSP2000 was doing regularly this year.

Spiegel

Pureauthor said:
Can GvsG really be expected to do a lot for the PSP? I'm going to get a copy unless something turns up, but I don't really expect a lot out of it.

I haven't said that it's going to do a lot for the PSP, but it can help the momentum. PSP-3000 october -> Gundam november -> Dissidia december -> Holidays

Namco-Bandai is expecting 500k sales (iirc) and Gundam games are selling pretty good on psp lately.

Nintendo DS coming out on top in YTD sales depends on when they're shipping the new model

Exactly

sphinx

the piano man
I like handheld redesigns. Unlike home consoles, handhelds aren't as expensive and are like trendy gadgets you can always upgrade every once a year or 2, so I like the DSL .5 idea.

if DQIX indeed sips this year in Japan with a special DSL 1.5 edition..... it will nuke Japan all together.

Cygnus X-1

Jokeropia said:
PSP-2000 was released September 20 which isn't that far from October, and it also had FFVIICC which I believe was a bigger release than either of the two this year. I also don't think the 3000 series hardware upgrade will have an as big impact as the 2000 series upgrade overall.

It will probably be close, unless the new DS model is released this year as well.

I do think that the new DS is most of all a direct answer to PSP's recently increased popularity in Japan. Its multimedia capabilities will hurt PSP exactly where it is most strong at.

Actually, the fact that Nikkei questionned that this redesign may be Japan exclusive is another index that this is most of all a -political- decision. Against PSP and against iPhone. probably Nintendo feel itself strong enough to desire keeping its dominant position even stronger then that. And this even if DS is absolutely the master concerning software's sales.

jj984jj

Cygnus X-1 said:
Is software really that important considering DS's popularity and installed base? I don't think so. Put some decent marketing behind so that everyone is aware of the redesign and it will sell how much Nintendo can produce and ship to the market.
Of course the software matters, have you been following DS sales this year at all?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
sphinx said:
I like handheld redesigns. Unlike home consoles, handhelds aren't as expensive and are like trendy gadgets you can always upgrade every once a year or 2, so I like the DSL .5 idea.

if DQIX indeed sips this year in Japan with a special DSL 1.5 edition..... it will nuke Japan all together.

I do too, I am one of the few people that think that Sony should have a new PSP out every year.

By the time my PSP breaks, hopefully the new PSP has GPS and a Camera built in.

Cygnus X-1

jj984jj said:
Of course the software matters, have you been following DS sales this year at all?

More or less, I did. Of course good software at the launch will result in positive revenues due to great software's sales increased by hardware's launch. Quite obvious. But that's not what I'm arguing. I'm saying that that redesigned DS doesn't need necessarily software to become a complete sold-out.

KevinRo

Hcoregamer00 said:
I do too, I am one of the few people that think that Sony should have a new PSP out every year.

By the time my PSP breaks, hopefully the new PSP has GPS and a Camera built in.

stupid idea. consumers don't like the idea that a new model will be introduced any time soon lingering in the back of their heads.

consumers will wait until the best model is released. i say take a note from apple, release a new model every 2/3 years. release a new product every 5/6.

nli10

KevinRo said:
stupid idea. consumers don't like the idea that a new model will be introduced any time soon lingering in the back of their heads.

consumers will wait until the best model is released. i say take a note from apple, release a new model every 2/3 years. release a new product every 5/6.

For iPods and portables Apple release on an almost yearly basis more often if you count the different models.

As long as you do an apple and announce and release in a short space of time few people get upset or instant buyer's remorse. Anyone waiting this long to get their first DS or even a Lite upgrade and who is not getting it as a seasonal gift must have a really unfortunately timed B'day.

donny2112 said:
*Looking back sometime later, Spiegel realized this as the moment everything went wrong*
Give Namdai a break, its 400k for a Gundam Versus game, its not an out-of-this-world unreasonable expectation. That means the title is now cursed and won't reach those sales heh.

2001 PS2 Gundam Federation vs. Zeon - 808k
2003 PS2 Gundam Z AEUG vs Titans - 639k
2004 PS2/GCN Gundam vs. Z Gundam - 409k (PS2 352k, GCN 57k)
2005 PS2 Gundam SEED Federation vs ZAFT - 437k (and 133k for the PSP port)
2006 PS2 Gundam SEED Destiny Federation vs ZAFT II Plus - 510k

Yes 807,699 for a 2001 PS2 title, for a Gundam title. I think its the highest selling Gundam game ever, at least in YSO I can't see a higher one and that website even has Saturn ones.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Give Namdai a break, its 400k for a Gundam Versus game, its not an out-of-this-world unreasonable expectation.

Top-selling PSP Gundam:
PSP SD Gundam G-Generation Portable - 271K

Only Gundam vs. PSP game I see:
PSP Gundam SEED Alliance vs. ZAFT Portable - 133K

Namco-Bandai: "Gundam PSP game + Gundam vs. PSP game => 400K! :D "

Jonnyram

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Give Namdai a break...
Why do you insist on calling them Namdai?

First of all, it sounds retarded. Second of all, Bandai basically bought Namco out. In the press it was a merger, but it was clear as daylight that Bandai just bailed Namco's ass. Third of all, you're talking about a fucking Gundam game, which have, 99% of the time, been Bandai only. *sigh*

The worst thing -- you think that Namco and their shitty sales predictions have anything to do with Bandai's sales predictions. Maybe that problem would sort itself out if you stop treating them as Namdai, though :lol

donny2112

Jonnyram said:
The worst thing -- you think that Namco and their ... sales predictions have anything to do with Bandai's sales predictions.

They're separate groups within the company? That doesn't sound like a typical merger. Was it a merger in name only but keeping most of the day-to-day operations separate?

Jonnyram

donny2112 said:
They're separate groups within the company? That doesn't sound like a typical merger. Was it a merger in name only but keeping most of the day-to-day operations separate?
Basically yes. That is why there is still a Bandai label and Namco label. For example, you will not see any Bandai games on namco-ch.net. But since it was Bandai bailing Namco out, you'll see a lot of their management decisions affecting Namco anyway.

Jonnyram

donny2112 said:
Maybe the DS Next will launch the Saturday before or after Nov. 27th. :D
I think it's gonna be Dec 6 or 13. And wow, this is all starting to make sense too -- this is the exact reason Nintendo hasn't announced their year end line-up yet. I am very excited to see what games they announce on Thursday :O This is oh so Nintendo-like. They lull everyone into thinking "Christ, Nintendo has a shitty line-up this holiday" then BAM! all at once.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jonnyram said:
I think it's gonna be Dec 6 or 13. And wow, this is all starting to make sense too -- this is the exact reason Nintendo hasn't announced their year end line-up yet. I am very excited to see what games they announce on Thursday :O This is oh so Nintendo-like. They lull everyone into thinking "Christ, Nintendo has a shitty line-up this holiday" then BAM! all at once.

Or they get everyone all hyped up and then *BAM* disappointment

AtreyU

Neo Member
all or nothing that's what i always say.

r4608411146419142sb1.jpg

jj984jj

HK-47 said:
Or they get everyone all hyped up and then *BAM* disappointment
Depends where you live, NoA will probably get the DS revision out soon after but who knows when the games will hit. :\

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
Top-selling PSP Gundam:

I think the difference is that the only Gundam vs released on psp is a ps2 port and the new Gundam Vs Gundam psp is going to be the first "domestic" release.

But I don't like the gundam games and haven't being following the series so maybe I'm wrong

donny2112 said:
Top-selling PSP Gundam:

Again with the bullshit x + x that one of KOEI cofounders spread about Gundam Musou, not Namco-Bandai. They are absolutely capable themselves of putting unreasonable stupid expectations for a title, you don't need to mess it with Koei to make it worse. But hey I haven't said this enough times yet, do I?...

Jonnyram said:
Why do you insist on calling them Namdai?

First of all, it sounds retarded. Second of all, Bandai basically bought Namco out. In the press it was a merger, but it was clear as daylight that Bandai just bailed Namco's ass. Third of all, you're talking about a fucking Gundam game, which have, 99% of the time, been Bandai only. *sigh*

The worst thing -- you think that Namco and their shitty sales predictions have anything to do with Bandai's sales predictions. Maybe that problem would sort itself out if you stop treating them as Namdai, though :lol
First of all, chill out, second of all, whats the problem? I also call them Bamco, Bandai-Namco, Namco-Bandai, NBGI, Scamco....I know perfectly they still release the Gundam games with Bandai label just like the Tales ones still use the Namco one. Anyway, why the hell do you care if I say Namdai, Bamco, or the longass full name? I'm not implying anything with Namdai, just using it to refer to the company.

And now the batshit crazy claim, the sales predictions were in their fiscal year resume for the whole company. If you have insider info about who specifically does them, pretty good for you, I don't, and since I don't, I'm not going to claim they are just Bandai expectations or Namco expectations but Namco-Bandai expectations since they were in their global resume.

Any updated information on the X360's supply status in Japan? I keep hearing of reports that the X360 is still sold out in most major stores.

farnham

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Give Namdai a break, its 400k for a Gundam Versus game, its not an out-of-this-world unreasonable expectation. That means the title is now cursed and won't reach those sales heh.

2001 PS2 Gundam Federation vs. Zeon - 808k
2003 PS2 Gundam Z AEUG vs Titans - 639k
2004 PS2/GCN Gundam vs. Z Gundam - 409k (PS2 352k, GCN 57k)
2005 PS2 Gundam SEED Federation vs ZAFT - 437k (and 133k for the PSP port)
2006 PS2 Gundam SEED Destiny Federation vs ZAFT II Plus - 510k

Yes 807,699 for a 2001 PS2 title, for a Gundam title. I think its the highest selling Gundam game ever, at least in YSO I can't see a higher one and that website even has Saturn ones.
different platform

different time

Bandai milked the hell out of Gundam and the series is not that popular anymore

PantherLotus said:
If it makes a difference, I think calling them namdai is kinda stupid. Bamco at least makes sense.
Actually, despite the logo, the actual name of the company is Namco Bandai Games (hence the NBGI acronym).

jj984jj

Liabe Brave said:
Actually, despite the logo, the actual name of the company is Namco Bandai Games (hence the NBGI acronym).
It's their own fault for not deciding really, they use Bandai-Namco Games all the time too. :lol

Actually I think they want it to be Bandai-Namco in Japan and Namco-Bandai in English because of brand recognition as a game company. I think the main name is Bandai-Namco though since they're coming out of Japan and like jonny said, it was Bandai that really gobbled up Namco here (even though they still have separate labels for Bandai, Namco, and Banpresto).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
jj984jj said:
Actually I think they want it to be Bandai-Namco in Japan and Namco-Bandai in English because of brand recognition as a game company. I think the main name is Bandai-Namco though since they're coming out of Japan and like jonny said, it was Bandai that really gobbled up Namco here (even though they still have separate labels for Bandai, Namco, and Banpresto).

This makes me want to ask, just how exactly did the Square-Enix merger happen? I thought Enix was the one who "absorbed" Squaresoft, yet for some reason Square is first in the name-billing and their upper-men are the ones in control of the company.

jj984jj

Regulus Tera said:
This makes me want to ask, just how exactly did the Square-Enix merger happen? I thought Enix was the one who "absorbed" Squaresoft, yet for some reason Square is first in the name-billing and their upper-men are the ones in control of the company.
Because unlike the stupid business decision Bandai made made here, Enix decided to pick one name and stuck with it. They put Square's name first because more people recognize it worldwide.

Defuser said:
I thought Bandai-Namco is used when developing/promoting Bandai's IP while Namco-Bandai is used for Namco's IP.
All Japanese material has バンダイナムコゲームス, which is Bandai-Namco Games, and Namco-Bandai or NBGI is used on English material.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
They are absolutely capable themselves of putting unreasonable stupid expectations for a title, you don't need to mess it with Koei to make it worse.

Maybe Koei caused Namco-Bandai to be inspired. :)

Actually, I just get the sources of the predictions mixed up. Gundam is Bandai's, but I guess it was Koei who made the x+y prediction.

Capcom has the exact opposite problem with some of its Wii titles. I think they have some ridiculously low expectation for Dead Rising Wii, for example (150K worldwide or something like that?).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Regulus Tera said:

Well, first of all it's Square Enix rather than "Square-Enix". I'm not sure if you read anything into the difference between two names and a hyphenated name.

Like you said, technically Enix absorbed Square, but it was a very even match. 1 Enix share = 0.85 Square share. Most of the executives in Square Enix came from Square rather than Enix, as you said. It's basically a pretty balanced merger.

I assume the name order is simply a matter of it sounding substantially better that way than the other way.

Top Bottom