• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/15 - 10/21 2007

test_account

XP-39C²
GreenGlowingGoo said:
Right, and I was pointing out that there are other factors. And just looking at "YAY PS2 sold a fuckton" isn't going to give you a clear picture. But all of it was circumstantial.

True that, the marked has changed before. As you said yourself, when the PSX came and outsold N64 and Saturn. So for it to happend again with Nintendo (which it did) wasnt completely unthinkable, but i dont think many thought that it would happend now.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
But there is a difference between circumstantial and direct evidence. There's a reason one's not allowed in court.

Hm.. well.. ye, i guess you can say that today's situation with the PS3 is more hard evidence compared to back in 2004 predicting Wii's outcome. Im not going to argue about that. But for the total outcome in years to come, i still stay with what i said, things can change :)

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I think 3 years into a generation is a bit far, but all right. I'd say middle of next year before it gets to the point of kidding yourself.

The first year that we have witnessed so far from the PS3 was overall a rather poor preformace. The reason why i said 1-2 years is because i think within those 1-2 years to come things might start to happend, more popular games, maybe its down to $299 or even less and so on. It might be to late, it might be the exact right time. These are just my guesses tho, i dont know what will happend of course.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Hmmm... not really
1: a statement based on blind faith in the face of blurry circumstantial evidence. Honestly there was plenty of circumstantial evidence for and against wii domination. But it was all before any direct evidence.

And I don't think people could have honestly predicted (pre-launch) how explosive the Wii's take off would be. And I'd place any such prediction in the blind crazy faith department, even though they turned out to be right so far.

2: a statement based on blind faith in the face of direct evidence.

I don't think the PS3 has no chance, but I think each day that chance gets smaller and smaller, and the faith gets blinder and blinder.

Indeed, you can say it was circumstantial evidence back in 2004. As said above here i guess you can say that today's situation with the PS3 is more hard evidence compared to back in 2004 predicting Wii's outcome. But PS3 still has some cards up it sleeve, GT5, MGS 4, FF13 and such, cant these be considered hard evidences? But of course, its impossible to know how much impact they will have on the total outcome, but maybe they can set some wheels in motion? Who knows.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
But more importantly, wasn't the real issue that you were saying people who look at this trend and seeing PS3 NOT coming back were the same as people predicting pre-launch the Wii or the PS3 would dominate? Suddenly you twist it to people going against direct evidence.

Can you reformulate this question? I dont quite understand it :\ But ïf i think i know what you're asking, Parl stated what i ment:

Parl said:
You're saying that as many thought Wii would do crap, but it didn't, the same apply to PS3 now - most think it will continue to do crap, but it could sell end up doing well, just like Wii ended up doing for the past year.

My main point was that no one can see the future. Many thought Wii would do crap, it didnt. Many thinks PS3 will do crap for the next years to come, but will it? As said, eventho there might be more hard evidence for PS3 not being able to do mega great in the next years to come compared to the predictions about Wii back in 2004 i still stand by what i said, so much can change in this marked so its not possible to say for sure, no matter how much hard evidence we have today.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
What Lance Stern did is set arbitrary, random numbers which served a flat criteria by which to judge large swaths of games regardless of outside context. Each game was held to the same random, illogical standard... except when they weren't. And when they were or were not was completely guided by irrational whim. X, Y, and Z games would need to sell 300,000 copies to be judged a success even if they fall within genres or series where such a benchmark would be exceptional, not "average" or "barely acceptable," even when there are only a scarce number of games every year that reach that number.

Then other games, like It's a Wonderful World or ASH were just miraculously successes despite all outside qualifiers indicating they were not. For those, whimsical fancy decreed that the 300,000 rule be tossed aside in favor of a "100,000 and you're in" guideline. Because both of those games sold (or in ASH's case, will sell) 100k, that makes them raging successes -- despite, er, the fact that prices were slashed massively to get there and retailers and publishers considered them disappointments and they failed to sell up to series or genre standards.

It should also be noted that when presented with games that were obviously massive successes below his magic number or massive failures above his magic number, he would claim that these were "exceptions". Of course, there was no rhyme or reason to the exceptions; it's not as though games by a certain publisher or in a certain genre were excepted. It was just "Oh, I expect LostMagic was profitably at 40k, so it's an awesome success!"

Those were the days!

JoshuaJSlone said:
It was playing it that made me begin to think of it as something different. I was expecting it to be structured like other FFs, but with recycled assets. Being mission-based with a percentage counter, having pretty much the entire world map accessible from the get-go, a branching story, and the very lighthearted nature surprised me.

All this is true, but yet, the real cornerstones of the experience -- the scope, the combat, the customization, the items, the NPCs, the sidequests -- all that's still there. It changes many elements of the formula, but then, so do FF8 and FF12, both of which also radically reimagine procedural and mechanical aspects of the franchise in completely new ways (but which no one would accuse of being spinoffs.)

EDIT: Not to mention the complete nonlinearity of the second half of FF6, which is composed entirely of individual, unconnected quests or missions that can be done in any order.

donny2112

charlequin said:
Er, yes. I'll ask again: have you played FFX-2?

You know the answer, and it has nothing to do with how Square-Enix chooses to name their games. This is a discussion on the merits of calling a game that is not a numbered Final Fantasy (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, ...) a mainline game or a spinoff.

charlequin said:
I'm not saying this is some kind of magical hard and fast rule; it's just marketing.

That's what I'm saying. The only hard and fast rule possible (i.e. other possible rules being qualitative in nature) is that only numbered Final Fantasys are the main line. With the expansion of the Universes for multiple games in the series over the last few years and the intentional Universe of games being set up with FFXIII, though, I think even that one possible hard rule isn't very likely.

charlequin said:
Convinced... of what?

That a true sequel might be named something other than FF#-#. Based on your above statements, though, I would be wrong. You are open to the consideration that non FF#-# games could be true sequels based on your own qualitative determination. You just think it would be a bad business choice, and that's fine with me.

My own little non-Final Fantasy understanding was that FFX-2 was sort of a one-off game but still basically fell into the Final Fantasy mainline for devotees. I just don't understand why other hypothetical games that don't have -2 at the end of their names couldn't also qualify as a one-off. From what is known about FFXIII Vs., is it going to be considered part of the main story line for FFXIII?

The discussion of Crisis Core did renew this question of FFX-2's status as a main Final Fantasy game in my mind, but I wasn't trying to use that to say that Crisis Core did badly.

Deku

Banned
My problem is with the exceptions being thrown around to frame the bate. There are too many are too arbitrary . That's a secondary point.

CC is a success, I take issue with the idea that it's an exceptional success. I guess I should clarify that my rejection of the game's exceptionalism is not contingent on it being a failure. It's still a success under the only metric we can agree on and that's actual units sold. There's just not nothing all that special about it.

Deku said:
CC is a success, I take issue with the idea that it's an exceptional success.

myself upthread said:
Pretty much. I don't think FF7CC is a wild, runaway success, but it is a success.

So... we do agree on that, right?

donny2112 said:
You know the answer, and it has nothing to do with how Square-Enix chooses to name their games. This is a discussion on the merits of calling a game that is not a numbered Final Fantasy (I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII, ...) a mainline game or a spinoff.

I think honestly I'd say that there's just a third category. X-2 plays (and sold) differently from other games that we'd call spinoffs, and the qualities it possesses are distinct enough that I would feel confident betting on a repeat sales performance for another game similar enough to it. At one or two points during FFXII's development (while Matsuno was still on the project) it was mentioned that they were considering the idea of an FFXII-2 on PS2, using recycled assets but expanding the first game's new combat system; I think that game, labelled that way (assuming, like X-2, it had a full dev team, a full dev cycle, and a 60+ hour, sidequest-riddled playtime) would have performed in the 1.5-2m range.

I just don't understand why other hypothetical games that don't have -2 at the end of their names couldn't also qualify as a one-off. From what is known about FFXIII Vs., is it going to be considered part of the main story line for FFXIII?

The "Fabula Nova Crystallis" project (S-E's codename for all of the FFXIII projects put together) are actually each set in a different world; there's a core mythology about crystals (the details and depth of which are still unknown) which is the only element they share. The stories of FFXIII and FFXIII Vs. are actually completely separate from one another.

For me, the distinction really has to do with two things: the scope and the structure. FF is a marquee franchise with high expectations placed on it; one of those is that you get a huge, sprawling game for your money, with ludicrous amounts of content; the other is that you get an intricate RPG with new, interesting systems attached, and lots of storyline content to devour. FFX-2 met these expectations because it was basically developed by the full FFX team (the same team who have now gone off to create FFXIII).

FF7CC is probably the most impressive spinoff yet, with the biggest budget, the most attention, and the biggest staff. But it is still notably smaller and shorter than any recent mainline FF game.

I don't know what to say about FFXIII Vs. yet, due to the unique way they've set it up. Signs point to it essentially being a KH game minus Disney -- which means a game with a team size, budget, and scope equal to a mainline FF. I expect its sales to reflect that (in comparison to whatever FFXIII puts up -- a number that will remain mysterious for some time yet) and it could definitely beat out FFT as the most successful FF spinoff.

I think that there's only two sensible measures of "success" for a game:

1) Is the game any good, did the developers achieve what they set out to and deliver a game that is fun to play (and possibly has some artistic merit). From the perspective of those playing the game, this is the only thing that should really matter, and hopefully is what the developers care about as well.

2) Did the game make as much money as the publisher expected. This is the only form of sales data that actually makes any kind of difference. Note that it doesn't make a bit of difference how many units were sold, nor how much revenue was generated in absolute terms. What matters is whether the game made more or less money than the publisher expected it to. That's the only thing the publisher gives a crap about. Unfortunately, this is difficult to measure for anyone on the outside, since we don't usually know what publisher expectations are (though sometimes they make public statements that directly or indirectly shed light on their expectations).

So, since players only care about (1), publishers only care about (2), and devs only care about (1) and (2), any other measures of success are basically useless, because no one who matters actually cares about them in any way.

Parl

Jon of the Wired said:
I think that there's only two sensible measures of "success" for a game:

1) Is the game any good, did the developers achieve what they set out to and deliver a game that is fun to play (and possibly has some artistic merit). From the perspective of those playing the game, this is the only thing that should really matter, and hopefully is what the developers care about as well.

2) Did the game make as much money as the publisher expected. This is the only form of sales data that actually makes any kind of difference. Note that it doesn't make a bit of difference how many units were sold, nor how much revenue was generated in absolute terms. What matters is whether the game made more or less money than the publisher expected it to. That's the only thing the publisher gives a crap about. Unfortunately, this is difficult to measure for anyone on the outside, since we don't usually know what publisher expectations are (though sometimes they make public statements that directly or indirectly shed light on their expectations).

So, since players only care about (1), publishers only care about (2), and devs only care about (1) and (2), any other measures of success are basically useless, because no one who matters actually cares about them in any way.

Expected when? Expected when development began or just before it shipped? If FF13 sells much worse on PS3 than its PS3 iterations did, then it's a failure because they probably didn't expect that when development began, even if they ended up expecting the inevitable just before it ships.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Parl said:
Expected when? Expected when development began or just before it shipped? If FF13 sells much worse on PS3 than its PS3 iterations did, then it's a failure because they probably didn't expect that when development began, even if they ended up expecting the inevitable just before it ships.

Games scale radically up and down in budget, team size, and expectations during their production time. The expectations for something at the beginning are really pretty irrelevant if they've had the tea table upended during the process.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
test_account said:
True that, the marked has changed before. As you said yourself, when the PSX came and outsold N64 and Saturn. So for it to happend again with Nintendo (which it did) wasnt completely unthinkable, but i dont think many thought that it would happend now.

I'm not 100% sure on that, I was taken by surprise, but many were looking to the DS as an indicator of a possible shift. I dunno. I would have personally bet on Sony before launch.

test_account said:
My main point was that no one can see the future. Many thought Wii would do crap, it didnt. Many thinks PS3 will do crap for the next years to come, but will it? As said, eventho there might be more hard evidence for PS3 not being able to do mega great in the next years to come compared to the predictions about Wii back in 2004 i still stand by what i said, so much can change in this marked so its not possible to say for sure, no matter how much hard evidence we have today.

I think i used the term circumstantial evidence wrongly and I apologize.

Anyway, you're right, nobody knows for sure, but my main point is that not all predictions are equal. You have to look at where the prediction came from. I think we can both agree on that.

I'm the kind of person who, even if a prediction is 100% right, still won't concede the predictor was correct if the prediction had just come out of their ass.

ksamedi

This whole FF:CC discussion began with a claim that the games sales were exceptional on the PSP and that it would have done worse on the DS. I don't think anybody called it a flop but, even if we don't count the DS, I think it would sell much more on the PS2.

Christopher

ksamedi said:
This whole FF:CC discussion began with a claim that the games sales were exceptional on the PSP and that it would have done worse on the DS. I don't think anybody called it a flop but, even if we don't count the DS, I think it would sell much more on the PS2.

no shit.

look at the PS2 userbase in comparison to the PSP

Parl said:

I think that expectations when the game ships matter most, with the caveat that no publisher is going to consider a game a success if it does not at least turn a profit.

Parl

Christopher said:
no shit.

Exactly. But SE didn't put it on PSP because they feel like being good to PSP owners, they put it on there because they thought it would sell more on PSP than PS2, likely based on their expectation that PSP's userbase and software sales would be much higher than they are now.

Jon of the Wired said:
I think that expectations when the game ships matter most, with the caveat that no publisher is going to consider a game a success if it does not at least turn a profit.

I disagree with that. Some games are there to push install base even if they make a loss (first party titles. Mainly PS3 ones). But for third parties, some publisher might want to make a franchise investment and the first game might make a loss, but will be beneficial in that they have established a franchise.

Also, the reason why I would say that basing success on expectation before it ships is an odd perception is that if a publisher begins development of a game on a platform they believe in, and that platform comes out and flops a few months before your game ships, you're gonna expect your game to flop too. You're gonna be like "crap, we thought the console would sell about this much, so our game would sell about 500k. But now its flopped so our game will sell 200k". If it comes out and sells 230k, they're not exactly gonna call their investment successful.

spwolf

Segata Sanshiro said:
here he comes
here comes ethelred
he's a demon with words
he's a demon and he's going to be rebutting somebody

go ethelred
go ethelred
go ethelred gooo

btw, why did PS3 go up to 17k? Just that silly price drop (like less than 10%? which wasnt marketed?) Lair :)lol )? GT5P Demo didnt launch yet, I bet Demo will sell more systems than Lair...

spwolf said:
btw, why did PS3 go up to 17k? Just that silly price drop (like less than 10%? which wasnt marketed?) Lair :)lol )? GT5P Demo didnt launch yet, I bet Demo will sell more systems than Lair...
Hard to say. I'm sure a small part of it is the "pre-price drop" price drop, another part is probably the general upward swing of sales heading into the final quarter, but as for the rest....? I was crossing my fingers for a stream crossing (I really get off on chaos and anarchy, and total protonic reversal has that effect), but Mario should counteract the official pricedrop to keep it ahead.

...for now.

spwolf

Segata Sanshiro said:
Hard to say. I'm sure a small part of it is the "pre-price drop" price drop, another part is probably the general upward swing of sales heading into the final quarter, but as for the rest....? I was crossing my fingers for a stream crossing (I really get off on chaos and anarchy, and total protonic reversal has that effect), but Mario should counteract the official pricedrop to keep it ahead.

...for now.

figured as much, thanks - what are the next significant releases for PS3 in JPN? So we can get our popcorn ready and watch sales age battles from 1st row seats :D

ksamedi said:
Actually, it grew out from talking about how GCN had no successful non-Naruto third-party games. The question is, what makes Crisis Core's situation different from the top third-party GCN games?
Christopher said:
no shit.

But the discussion was also about whether games were successful without taking userbase into account. However, ignoring userbases gives today's portable software a great advantage; the DS+PSP portable generation's hardware sales are doubling that of the PS2+GCN home console generation.

spwolf said:
figured as much, thanks - what are the next significant releases for PS3 in JPN? So we can get our popcorn ready and watch sales age battles from 1st row seats :D
Someone posted the list somewhere in this thread, but I'll be damned if I can find it now for some reason. Anyway, PS3 has some pretty good software coming for 6/9 of the next 9 weeks if I remember right. Not sure if all of it is of particular appeal to Japanese audiences, but good games are good games.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
Actually, it grew out from talking about how GCN had no successful non-Naruto third-party games. The question is, what makes Crisis Core's situation different from the top third-party GCN games?

The fact that Crisis Core has (in outselling FFTA, FFT A2, Crystal Chronicles, CC: ROF, XII: RW, DoC, etc., etc., etc.) sold well comparable to other games within the same series on other market leading platforms whereas this is not the case with the GameCube's best-selling third party games -- Tales of Symphonia sold much less than the Tales game before it (Destiny 2) and the Tales game right after it (Rebirth) and the ones after that (Legendia and Abyss).

In one case the secondary platform game outsold all the other comparable games. In the other case, the secondary platform games undersold all the other comparable games. One is, therefore, a success; the other is, unsurprisingly enough, a failure. There's also the differing publisher reactions -- Square Enix anted up for more after Crisis Core, whereas Scamco (and every other publisher of non-anime licensed shovelware) fled the GameCube as fast as possible.

I thought these points had been made very clearly. Are you being willfully obtuse?

ksamedi said:
Those games (like KH) were probably already in development before CC was released.

Sure. Because Square Enix could properly read the market, recognized the hype and intense interest in Crisis Core, and knew they had a successful game on their hands. And their confidence was, as it turns out, fully vindicated.

As soon as Tales of Symphonia relatively bombed, Namco turned around and announced it was being ported to the PS2. If Square Enix was unhappy with Crisis Core's performance, they could have shifted those unannounced-but-in-development games around to a different platform easily enough.

cvxfreak

ethelred said:
!!!

But if you said that IT WOULD BE TRUE! RE4 WAS not as successful as it should have been, and it was primarily because of the GC userbase! We know this because it sold less than RE1, RE2, RE3, RE3. It sold 15% what Resident Evil 3 sold. For fuck's sake, the Dreamcast games sold more than RE4 on the GameCube.

1. There was only one Dreamcast game that outsold RE4.
2. RE0 matched it (CV), more or less.

It's pretty obvious the announcement of the PS2 version killed RE4's GC sales in Japan. There's really no other explanation as to how the GC version could performance worse than the REmake, while the PS2 version went on to be the best selling RE game of the generation.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Parl said:
Exactly. But SE didn't put it on PSP because they feel like being good to PSP owners, they put it on there because they thought it would sell more on PSP than PS2, likely based on their expectation that PSP's userbase and software sales would be much higher than they are now.
huh? Handheld games traditionally sell much worst than their console conterparts (monster hunter being the exception rather than the rule). Why would SE think they would get the same numbers as the PS2? Especially since the handheld is plagued with Piracy.

The PSP game also had a fraction of the budget which tells you where the expectations layed. Considering the DS has three time the install base and hardly any piracy but FF games sell about the same or less, I think SE cannot consider Crisis Core anything but a success. It was definitely profitable.

spwolf

Segata Sanshiro said:
Someone posted the list somewhere in this thread, but I'll be damned if I can find it now for some reason. Anyway, PS3 has some pretty good software coming for 6/9 of the next 9 weeks if I remember right. Not sure if all of it is of particular appeal to Japanese audiences, but good games are good games.

thank you segata! it shall be yummie...

Secondary systems are not all alike, though. As I said, this DS/PSP generation is twice the size of the PS2/GCN one. Yet they are being held to the same standards.

Final Fantasy generic action spinoff sells 350K on a 2.4 million userbase nearly two years in? Failure.
Final Fantasy VII action spinoff sells 700K on a 6.0 million userbase nearly three years in? Success.

That is not even always the case, though. Did Tales of Symphonia GCN do worse than other PS2 Tales games in Japan? Sure. Has it done better than every single Tales PSP game? That too.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Final Fantasy generic action spinoff sells 350K on a 2.4 million userbase nearly two years in? Failure.
Final Fantasy VII action spinoff sells 700K on a 6.0 million userbase nearly three years in? Success.
Oh you can't compare them that like, that's all wrong, you can only compare them in a complete subset of every spin-off where it's only second to FFT. The genre of the game, the size of the userbase, the quality and reception, and all other factors are insignificant and realistically do not matter. We must compare it to something and if you can't see how this comparison makes sense you're a moron that has no right discussing video game sales or you're pushing an agenda. I mean, it's completely flawless in context so that must be it. Dissidia and KH: Birth by Sleep were confirmed and DQIX is also being ported (GameLabo 05/06) to PSP because S-E saw CC being a huge success, Tabris was pretty much on the ball here (if a bit hyperbolic about the sales numbers). It would not have done better on PS2 or especially on DS because of this completely flawless comparison so stop your agenda pushing and accept the facts, I know I have.

ethelred

jj984jj said:
Oh you can't compare them that like, that's all wrong, you can only compare them in a complete subset of every spin-off where it's only second to FFT. The genre of the game, the size of the userbase, the quality and reception, and all other factors are insignificant and realistically do not matter. We must compare it to something and if you can't see how this comparison makes sense you're a moron that has no right discussing video game sales or you're pushing an agenda. I mean, it's completely flawless in context so that must be it. Dissidia and KH: Birth by Sleep were confirmed and DQIX is also being ported (GameLabo 05/06) to PSP because S-E saw CC being a huge success, Tabris was pretty much on the ball here (if a bit hyperbolic about the sales numbers). It would not have done better on PS2 or especially on DS because of this completely flawless comparison so stop your agenda pushing and accept the facts, I know I have.

Quite possibly the fuck-dumbest posted yet in this thread. Congrats on beating out such estimable luminaries as ksamedi and sakuragi.

jj984jj

ethelred said:
Quite possibly the fuck-dumbest posted yet in this thread. Congrats on beating out such estimable luminaries as ksamedi and sakuragi.
Uh-huh, you said none of that, sorry, it's all part of my agenda. It's great to be #1 though!

ethelred

jj984jj said:
Uh-huh, you said none of that, sorry, it's all part of my agenda. It's great to be #1 though!

Correct. That isn't what I said. But if you feel the need to attack some sort of ludicrous strawman instead of sensibly responding to any of the detailed, logical posts I or charlequin have made, feel free. It doesn't mean you're pushing an agenda -- it's just being dishonest.

Old time gaffers. Has anyone ever posted an image or gif or someone trying to nail down jelly?

jelly_and_glass.jpg

I often think of nailed jelly when I read sales threads on gaf. Im not sure why ;-)

jj984jj

ethelred said:
Correct. That isn't what I said. But if you feel the need to attack some sort of ludicrous strawman instead of sensibly responding to any of the detailed, logical posts I or charlequin have made, feel free. It doesn't mean you're pushing an agenda -- it's just being dishonest.
So you're not saying that CC can only be compared to other FF spin-offs or would not be more successful on PS2 or DS? Could it not do similar to ToS GCN and ToS PS2 if it were released on PS2? Could it not have done better on the DS if it was announced for it in the first place and was still a high quality game?

You're not comparing it to other FF spin-offs just because you can't make a comparison to how well it'd sell on PS2 or DS, even if none of them are really nothing alike and really can't be compared in the first place? You're not insisting that this is the most valid comparison to make with CC?

CC:FF7 is a success, but you can't compare it to any other spinoff. Everything about it does not involve the normal stuff in spinoffs that you usually see. Budget, marketing, Dev time was bigger than other spinoffs.

Eteric Rice

BishopLamont said:
CC:FF7 is a success, but you can't compare it to any other spinoff. Everything about it does not involve the normal stuff in spinoffs that you usually see. Budget, marketing, Dev time was bigger than other spinoffs.

Yeah.

The marketing for CC was insane.

apujanata

cvxfreak said:
1. There was only one Dreamcast game that outsold RE4.
2. RE0 matched it (CV), more or less.

It's pretty obvious the announcement of the PS2 version killed RE4's GC sales in Japan. There's really no other explanation as to how the GC version could performance worse than the REmake, while the PS2 version went on to be the best selling RE game of the generation.

I remember that Capcom announced the PS2 version BEFORE RE4's GC launch. I know that I made me hesitate to buy the GCN series (since I own both GCN and PS2). The only reason I went ahead with RE4 GC purchase is :
- annoying load time with most PS2 game, while almost non-existent load with with most GC game
- couldn't really wait almost 11 months to play it on PS2.
- don't really care (or is it don't know ? Couldn't really remember) about the additional content of PS2's version.

I really don't know why Capcom decide to announce PS2 version before GC version launch. Sane person would only announce it AFTER GC version launch, since it will not kill the sales of GC version.

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:
Secondary systems are not all alike, though. As I said, this DS/PSP generation is twice the size of the PS2/GCN one. Yet they are being held to the same standards.

Final Fantasy generic action spinoff sells 350K on a 2.4 million userbase nearly two years in? Failure.Final Fantasy VII action spinoff sells 700K on a 6.0 million userbase nearly three years in? Success.

That is not even always the case, though. Did Tales of Symphonia GCN do worse than other PS2 Tales games in Japan? Sure. Has it done better than every single Tales PSP game? That too.

What game are you talking about in the bolded part ? I know that you are talking about FFVII:CC for PSP in the part after the bold. Sorry for asking this, but I am not really a big fan of the ff-spin off, so I have lost track of all those spin-off games.

apujanata said:
What game are you talking about in the bolded part ? I know that you are talking about FFVII:CC for PSP in the part after the bold. Sorry for asking this, but I am not really a big fan of the ff-spin off, so I have lost track of all those spin-off games.
Crystal Chronicles on GameCube.

ethelred

jj984jj said:
So you're not saying that CC can only be compared to other FF spin-offs or would not be more successful on PS2 or DS? Could it not do similar to ToS GCN and ToS PS2 if it were released on PS2? Could it not have done just as well on the DS if it was announced for it in the first place and was still a high quality game?

You're not comparing it to other FF spin-offs just because you can't make a comparison to how well it'd sell on PS2 or DS, even if none of them are really nothing alike and really can't be compared in the first place? You're not insisting that this is the most valid comparison to make with CC?

My statement on comparisons and on gauging success was this:
My position, and Charlie's position, is not Lancesque. It is completely contextual. The argument is that a game must be looked at through the prism of the closest possible direct comparison we can make. If multiple games are available, then look at as many comparisons as you can. The more the merrier. The more comparisons that can be drawn, the better we can evaluate the sales of a particular game. Honestly, the only criteria that matters to a publisher is "Did we make a big profit on this and build the foundation for future profit?" We don't know enough about the costs involved in Crisis Core to answer the first prong, but the second we can note is affirmatively a yes, because Square Enix clearly intends to build upon the success they achieved through Crisis Core with the high profile Dissidia and KH: Birth by Sleep games.

Contextually, everything else we look at tells us Crisis Core was a successful game. Do we look at its sales in absolute numbers? If we do that, we see only a handful of games selling 800,000 copies in a year. In an absolute sense, the numbers are impressive. Do we look at Crisis Core's sales in a relative sense by system? It's the third best selling PSP game, so it succeeds there as well. Do we look at it in a relative sense versus other comparable games within the same series? It passes here as well -- only FFT has performed better when looking at the breadth and depth of Final Fantasy spinoffs, which is a pretty diverse lot and Crisis Core has exceeded almost all of them.

I laid out multiple criteria there, and this game passes each of them. At no point have I stated that Crisis Core's sales are phenomenal or that it'd mindblowing how well it performed -- in fact, I specifically disputed this. But it is successful. Absolutely.

You really think it's not at all relevant how other Final Fantasy games have performed? You think Square Enix doesn't look at the sales of their prior titles to try to best measure their expectations for new games? That's silly -- of course they do.

This isn't Crisis Core 2 and there's no Crisis Core 1 we can compare to it, so making as broad a possible comparison is the best way to go about it. None of the games are directly comparable; that's the point, that's why it's beneficial to look at as many of them as we can. Some of the prior games are ARPGs, some are internal (some external), some were heavily marketed, some scored well, some were on primary systems and some were on secondary systems. It seems like the position being taken here is that because there's no one game that corelates perfectly to Crisis Core in every way, we should just not look at any prior games for context's sake. This seems wrongheaded to me. There are certainly differences, we'll never get a 1:1 comparison. Though I find it really funny people keep saying "But Crisis Core is a good game!" Sure -- and it sold better as a result. Being a good game doesn't make the game less of a success when it then sells more.

Frankly, I don't recall anyone here complaining when I highlighted Dragon Quest Swords sales in comparison to how other Dragon Quest spinoffs had done (see here, here, or here). Nope, DQS wasn't directly comparable to DQM or Young Yangus (people certainly found it interesting that DQS outsold Yangus in its first week!) or Torneko or Slime Morimori. But it gave us a starting point. It told us how the various diverse DQ spinoff series had performed and that gave us the context that we could use to look at DQS's numbers rather than just having a number sitting out there in a vaccuum. Yes, comparative game performance is relevant. This seems like so banal and obviously correct a point that it's shocking to me you people are necessitating that I defend it. I also don't recall anyone getting up in arms when Kyotaro Nishimura came out and I said, "hey, cool sales -- here are some other adventure game starts for comparison, here are some other Tecmo game starts for comparison." I continue to believe that historical performance is one of the best things to look at here.

As to the other platforms: well, I specifically said that yes, Crisis Core may well have sold better on the PS2. May not have, but there are very good odds it would have, too. Of course, it would've been a very different situation -- the game would've costs a lot more money and it would've involved a much, much, much larger development team than the mobile phone group under Hajime Tabata. Remember, even with FFX-2 heavily reusing assets from FFX, the game still needed pretty much the entire full scale FFX team to develop it. Regardless of how it may have performed on another system though (this is only hypothetical -- none of us has the answer to this question), I just don't find it important. Crisis Core was a big success on the system it was on. It does us no good to conjure up a scenario by which Square Enix is actually disappointed because they would've gotten better sales on a different system when the sales they actually got are really high any way you slice the numbers. If Square Enix is unhappy with the sales, they can port it to the PS2; I don't think they are, and I don't think they will.

But for the DS... right, I don't think the fictional Crisis Core DS would've sold more than the Crisis Core that was actually made because, as was pointed out earlier, I think the visuals played a huge role in Crisis Core's success. It allowed the Final Fantasy VII fanbase to revisit the world they loved so much in beautiful graphics that seemed almost Advent Children-like. That was a major, major selling point. If you don't think its graphics were a huge component of that success, please go and reread every impression thread, every anticipation thread... it was. Crisis Core DS wouldn't have been able to match that. I also don't think Crisis Core DS would've been handled internally by the really talented team that made Crisis Core, and that would've been a detraction as well.

I stand by this belief. Frankly, you have no evidence that I'm wrong, and I have no evidence that I'm right, because it's all a hypothetical -- and a damned stupid one at that. But I do know I made the same wager with regards to the two upcoming handheld Kingdom Hearts games -- I said Birth by Sleep would outsell 179. I stand by that. We'll see who's right soon enough.

GhostSeed

apujanata said:
I remember that Capcom announced the PS2 version BEFORE RE4's GC launch. I know that I made me hesitate to buy the GCN series (since I own both GCN and PS2). The only reason I went ahead with RE4 GC purchase is :
- annoying load time with most PS2 game, while almost non-existent load with with most GC game
- couldn't really wait almost 11 months to play it on PS2.
- don't really care (or is it don't know ? Couldn't really remember) about the additional content of PS2's version.

I really don't know why Capcom decide to announce PS2 version before GC version launch. Sane person would only announce it AFTER GC version launch, since it will not kill the sales of GC version.

I think they were probably trying to score some points with Sony because the PSP had just launched and it looked like Nintendo was DOOMED.

Xeke

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:

Once again I think this is one of the best posts on this page yet it doesn't get any response from the other side...

apujanata

ethelred said:
As to the other platforms: well, I specifically said that yes, Crisis Core may well have sold better on the PS2. May not have, but there are very good odds it would have, too. Of course, it would've been a very different situation -- the game would've costs a lot more money and it would've involved a much, much, much larger development team than the mobile phone group under Hajime Tabata. Remember, even with FFX-2 heavily reusing assets from FFX, the game still needed pretty much the entire full scale FFX team to develop it. Regardless of how it may have performed on another system though (this is only hypothetical -- none of us has the answer to this question), I just don't find it important. Crisis Core was a big success on the system it was on. It does us no good to conjure up a scenario by which Square Enix is actually disappointed because they would've gotten better sales on a different system when the sales they actually got are really high any way you slice the numbers. If Square Enix is unhappy with the sales, they can port it to the PS2; I don't think they are, and I don't think they will.

But for the DS... right, I don't think the fictional Crisis Core DS would've sold more than the Crisis Core that was actually made because, as was pointed out earlier, I think the visuals played a huge role in Crisis Core's success. It allowed the Final Fantasy VII fanbase to revisit the world they loved so much in beautiful graphics that seemed almost Advent Children-like. That was a major, major selling point. If you don't think its graphics were a huge component of that success, please go and reread every impression thread, every anticipation thread... it was. Crisis Core DS wouldn't have been able to match that. I also don't think Crisis Core DS would've been handled internally by the really talented team that made Crisis Core, and that would've been a detraction as well.

I stand by this belief. Frankly, you have no evidence that I'm wrong, and I have no evidence that I'm right, because it's all a hypothetical -- and a damned stupid one at that. But I do know I made the same wager with regards to the two upcoming handheld Kingdom Hearts games -- I said Birth by Sleep would outsell 179. I stand by that. We'll see who's right soon enough.

Why FF7:CC on PS2 would have cost much more than PSP ? Aren't one of the benefit of developing PSP games is the almost similar development environment between it and PS2 ?
I agree that FF7:CC on DS might have sold worse than FF7:CC PSP. However, I believe it might also possible that DS sold more than PSP (because some DS owner doesn't own PSP, while most, IMO, PSP owner also own DS). It is just my believe, and I don't have any evident (other than anecdotal ones) of it.

About Kingdom Hearts, since the series was born on PS platform, and more graphic intensive (IIRC), the possibility that you are right is bigger. How many Disney assets are used in Birth by Sleep or 179 ? If the usage of Disney assets are similar, and the gametype is also similar (I don't like KH games, so I don't follow games in that series), since the DS in Japan is more friendly (have higher percentage) towards women, and lots of women like Disney (IIRC), I predict that DS version sold more than PSP version (unless there is another big DS game sold in the same day as KH:179)

GhostSeed said:
I think they were probably trying to score some points with Sony because the PSP had just launched and it looked like Nintendo was DOOMED.
I think you are right. It is possible that Capcom 5 made some Sony executive angry, and PS2 announcement is a way to get back to Sony's good grace by Capcom.
Thanks for sharing your thought on this.

I wonder what will happen if right before RE5 release on PS3, Capcom announce that RE5 will also be released on Wii, with only slightly reduced graphics (I know that this is impossible, so don't flame me) ? Will we get another DQIX on DS uproar ?

JoshuaJSlone said:

Right, because sales standards are formed by publishers based on development cost and other intangibles on the back end, not by userbase size. A system with a smaller userbase doesn't have a lower standard for success; it's just more likely to have unsuccessful games.

I actually wouldn't say FF:CC was a success, but only because the goal of the game wasn't sales: it did quite well at its original goal, that is, as an offering to convince Nintendo to open up lucrative GBA development. Saleswise the game was one of GCN's bestselling games and wasn't an outright failure, I think, but it was a bit of an underperformer still -- it certainly cost quite a bit more to make than FFTA or KH:CoM, both of which put up equivalent numbers on the GBA, and S-E never published a second GCN game.

Did Tales of Symphonia GCN do worse than other PS2 Tales games in Japan? Sure. Has it done better than every single Tales PSP game? That too.

Yes: those games are one outsourced, dungeon-crawling spinoff (dramatically less expensive and manpower-intensive than a full Tales game) and three ports. It's not an apples to apples comparison. When you do put apples (main series Tales games developed by a full team) next to one another, ToS looks quite bad from the comparison.

(When you do the same comparison in the US, humorously enough, ToS is one of the GCN's biggest third party successes.)

apujanata

charlequin said:
I actually wouldn't say FF:CC was a success, but only because the goal of the game wasn't sales: it did quite well at its original goal, that is, as an offering to convince Nintendo to open up lucrative GBA development. Saleswise the game was one of GCN's bestselling games and wasn't an outright failure, I think, but it was a bit of an underperformer still -- it certainly cost quite a bit more to make than FFTA or KH:CoM, both of which put up equivalent numbers on the GBA, and S-E never published a second GCN game.

I think that decision (not to publish a second GCN game) is mostly caused by the dissapointing GC H/W sales in Japan (and worldwide), and also caused by "not necessitated by Nintendo" reason, not because of FF:CC sales #.

I am really looking forward to the FF:CCROF sales #, and also sales $ of other games in the FF:CC series (like the Wii Ware game). Unfortunately, I am not sure M-create or Famitsu track Wii Ware game sales #, so we have to rely on Nintendo to provide us those # (and Nintendo is a secretive, paranoid company, which doesn't like to share #, unlike Microsoft).

charlequin said:
(When you do the same comparison in the US, humorously enough, ToS is one of the GCN's biggest third party successes.)

Japan picks a winner and sticks with it, etc.

Living in such a wildly different timezone from so many people here can be really inconvenient at times.

Top Bottom